2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Due to technical difficulties the piano bar is cancelled definitely open this month .... April Fool's not withstanding.

So, go ahead and post stuff like this:

The Fool on the Hill

P.S. Happy April Fool's Day
P.P.S. Apologies for the vocals ... it's really just outside my range.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 04/02/11 12:13 AM. Reason: Now it's not April 1st (at least, not here) I'm changing the title back so as not to confuse things too much.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
E
Haha, good one! Enjoyed your submission too - nice job! smile

Elaine

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
ANDY Perfect opening to the "cancelled" April Piano Bar! I loved it! Great playing and I thought your vocals were splendid!

P.S. My first try at opening your submission on Box.net wouldn't load, so naturally I thought that was the April Fool. laugh

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Then I guess I won't submit the song below, which is probably a good thing since this was a first recording to test the final? arrangement of a new song that grew out of an improv. I've learned that a few measures in the LH that sounded good to me live sound a little hesitant, plus my touch needs some further refinement.

Ehyrnme

1986 Yamaha C7E (owned since it was new...we've had quite a journey together)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwayingTree65
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
St,
Nice groove. I enjoyed your youtube channel as well.

Andy,
I like that arrangement. Perhaps you could take it down a few half steps?

Here's one from me for April. It's called Solar, it's a Miles Davis tune. A good one for jams.
[video:youtube]oReHFqkwX3M[/video]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
In particular, nothing like this should be posted:

The Fool on the Hill

P.P.S. Apologies for the vocals ... it's really just outside my range.

Nice vocal effort Andy - and excellent accompaniment - knotty may be right though - a lower key would make this much easier for you.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwayingTree

SwayingTree - Lovely piece very nicely played - your touch sounded great to me!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Knotty, very nice. My dad wishes I'd learn to play jazz. Just never clicked for me.

1986 Yamaha C7E (owned since it was new...we've had quite a journey together)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwayingTree65
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt - I really enjoyed your performance. I much prefer vocal performances of Beatles tunes to instrumentals. Your voice has real personality - do I detect an accent? Nice job on the accompaniment as well.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Swaying Tree - I think you are entirely too hard on yourself. This is a very interesting piece - I love the big sound of your piano. I'm glad you decided to submit this.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Andy, you sing pretty good, my friend!! Playing was good too! (April-fool or not)

Swayingtree, a great piece!! (I love your piano too... it sounds familiar:-)!!

Knotty, that was very nice! I enjoyed it!

Take care!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Like Swaying Tree I was not totally happy with this after I listened to it, but I'm going to post it anyway flaws and all. I couldn't resist breaking out the scat voice on my Roland for the improv instrumental break.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
BillM, that was just so fun to listen to! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bill, that was really cool.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
SwayingTree - "Ehyrnme" is beautiful, and beautifully played! Sounded perfect to me.

Knotty - "Solar" I could listen to you guys all day! Very smooth in-the-groove playing. Great recording, too. And really nice video.

Bill - Oh yeah! That is so cool! Loved the "scat" in the middle - I'm still smiling...and tappin' my foot.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Andy,

Bravo! What a great way to start off an April Piano bar. I thought your vocal was very effective up to a few bars after the piano solo, then you started to lose control of it a little. I've done the same thing myself when I tried singing and accompanying myself and I know what an accomplishment it is to maintain a song this vocally challenging for as long as you did and I really enjoyed listening to that and to the piano solos/interludes in between. I thought they were also effective and true to spirit of the song. I think I must have listened to it four times and was singing along at least 2x. Your courage and inspiration has motivated me to attempt it again myself on a pop song. Don't know I'll have it ready next month or the following, but I know I'm up for the challenge partly thanks to you.

Knotty,

Very smooth and professional-sounding as always!

Swayingtree,

I was so impressed with your playing this, I looked up your posts in the "Tell us About yourself thread" and visited your Youtube channel. I thought you did an amazing job on Smile by ear, but it wasn't clear from your post whether Ehyrnme grew out of your own improv and was your own arrangement or the composer's. Either way, you played it beautifully... was just wondering...??

Bill,

Any imperfections (and your imperfections probably come across to most people here as "I wish I could play that imperfectly's) were far outweighed by the originality and expressiveness of your interpretation. This was yet another case of "I thought I'd heard this song played and sung every way to Sunday but I never heard it quite like this" experiences. Even so I was listening and doing something else when I heard the scat and suddenly came to attention and then rushed over to my computer, thinking, "Can he do that?". When I saw it was your piano, it didn't detract from my delight, since it took the same originality evident in the rest of the song to think of putting it there. thumb

Everyone,

I straightened out the problem I had with my camera gear and finally got a video of my arrangement of Are You Lonesome Tonight. I did it at a faster tempo than the recording I posted in the March Piano Bar (the new one came in about 50 seconds shorter). I'm not sure I like it as well, though, because I think I played the slower one with more expression, but some family members seem to prefer it faster so you be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61rF7F__Cw

Andy - love this track, haven't heard it in a while. I'm always impressed when someone doubles up on the concentration and skill required to sing AND play at the same time. Cool piano solo, nice April Fool's too smile

SwayingTree - hey another original in the bar! Really liked this, it had a direction and seemed to be telling a story. What does the title mean? A quick Google search doesn't define it!

Knotty - always a good sign when you look down and realise your foot has been tapping away involuntarily for who knows how long! The band sound really tight together, you all gel together really well.

Bill - As always a highlight of the bar for me each month. I actually misread your short description and missed out the key words 'on my Roland' as I was expecting YOU to break out with the scat voice at some point! laugh
Not to worry though, I'm sure from your own perspective you'll find things to improve like we all do with our own work but from our perspective, the audience, it just sounded darn good.

StarrKeys - hey, congratulations on your original arrangement. It was creative and captured the original nicely, well done. Also great idea about trying to get something done once a month, it really helps to have a short term goal to work towards so all the best with that smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Starr Keys - I went back and listened to your March version again after I listened to this one and although I like them both I think I like the March version better. I think this beautiful melody needs to breath and the slower tempo seems more wistful and romantic to me.

As an aside, after listening to your recordings I went out to walk my dog. I always listen to my iPod on random shuffle while walking the dog and oddly enough Elvis's version of Are You Lonesome Tonight came up. Since there are over 5,000 songs on my iPod I'd say the odds were something like 1 in 5,000 that this would happen.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
StarKeys,
very pretty piece. I like those octaves.

So a busy start to this month, nice!

My offering this month is a Greg Maroney track called Breathe and is something that I started work on last year and have worked on and off and on again for some time and it has kicked my butt every step of the way but I love the tune so I didn't mind too much wink

His own live performance is on YouTube too and he makes his C7 roar with the bass notes, very cool stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5qj_duICs

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission