2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1649888 03/28/11 11:20 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Help! When I play back a midi file from logic pro out to my nord piano or galaxy piano software the playback phases almost as if it's playing two identical notes on top of each other.

I have the local off on the nord. Not sure if there is a galaxy setting, but that makes me think it's probably not the issue. But it's only random notes that seem to have the issue. Unless it's just perfectly overlaid on most notes so it's not as noticeable... I have my firewire 410 midi out to my nord in. the galaxy uses the virtual midi port. but i'm more worried about the nord at the moment.

I have logic midi track set to output to the firewire 410 on channel with the nord receiving channel 1. All other setting default. I removed the midi cable back to the firewire 410 to eliminate any possible looping. Have no idea what is going on. Some logic pro setting?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by luisdent
Help! When I play back a midi file from logic pro out to my nord piano or galaxy piano software the playback phases almost as if it's playing two identical notes on top of each other.

The first thing I'd check is that you are not sending each note twice. Start by looking at the MIDI file in Logic's Event Editor, That is the view that shows each MIDI event on one line, like a text file.

L
OP Offline
L
I only see single midi notes. I can drag notes and there aren't any hiding underneath. I also checked the hyper draw parameters, and there is only the sustain pedal. But the phasing can even happen during a clean sustain. So I don't see any correlation to the pedaling. This couldn't be a problem with the nord could it? I don't have any other external synths to test... But it seems so unlikely. Seems more like a loop somewhere or a glitchy midi signal..?

J
J
If you are getting the issue routing from Logic to Galaxy then I'd say it's not related to your Firewire 410 or the Nord. Software problems should be easier to solve than hardware ones!

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882
L
OP Offline
L
Well i switched to the usb cable and the nord is getting midi blinking signal, but no output. However, if i play the keys the output is there. It's like the midi signal is empty data or something. I can't figure it out... This is driving me bonkers...

L
OP Offline
L
O.k. Now I can't even get midi to make sound from the midi connectors. Blargh. What ever happened to plug and play?

L
OP Offline
L
holy poop i got the midi to work again. now back to fixing the phase. ha. i hate loving logic. ha

L
OP Offline
L
O.K. now we're getting somewhere!!!. I figured out how to get usb midi working. I didn't realize in the nord menu there were 16 usb midi channels AFTER the 16 midi channels. You have to scroll past the midi channels to get to the usb midi channels.

So the good news, usb midi works with zero phasing. Bad news, the usb cable adds a ground loop hum (known issue).

However, now i'm thinking the normal midi phasing is my firewire 410 sound card. I wish I could be sure. Maybe I should buy a midi interface like a motu. If it works, the nord is good, throw out the 410. If it doesn't nord needs warranty repair or return...

L
OP Offline
L
I posted this in another area, but for the record, a usb hub cut the noise in half. I've also tried every power situation known to man with no change... I'm waiting to hear back from nord.

Sounds like you could have a timing problem.
you can setup a master clock somewhere. I'm not experienced in Logic since i work on a pc.. but you might want to check it out.

Check Nord / logic manual for master clock (note it should not be the DSP clockrates )

I use my Kawai K1 keyboard (oldie) as master keyboard. You see always lights flashing every X seconds. So it functions as clock for the computer as well. So check those settings.

By the way.. seems that you tried on 2 piano's.. so definately has to be in Logic somewhere.

Firewire should be stable enough..better then USB 1 ports.
What interface are you using?

Last edited by WinNL; 04/03/11 05:18 AM.

Roland V-Piano, Many synths, Accordeon, Hurdy Gurdy & Mandolin.
B
B
I used to have a problem similar to this with Sonar (PC). I eventually figured out that the default auto echo was sending the MIDI data back on all MIDI tracks, even those set to different MIDI channels and not enabled for recording. Some of that data was then being echoed back from the keyboard to the MIDI inputs, causing delayed hits of the MIDI notes. I fixed the problem by changing the MIDI echo from auto to manual and only enabling the echo on the MIDI track I was recording on.

I don't know if Logic has something similar to the auto MIDI echo, but I suspect it might. If so, changing that to manual and only enabling it for the track you are recording might fix your problem too.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bob

NY Steinway A 1907, FP-7F wi RPU-3
HW: GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-930, 6GB & 2ea WD2002FAEX, 1ea WD1001FALS1TB, UA1000, Yamaha 2.1 HSM80M/HS10W, DPA SMK4061, Mackie LM3204
SW: Win7 Pro x64, Sonar PE 8.5.3, NI Komplete 8 Ult, Ivory Grand Pianos II
R
R
Originally Posted by luisdent
O.K. now we're getting somewhere!!!. I figured out how to get usb midi working. I didn't realize in the nord menu there were 16 usb midi channels AFTER the 16 midi channels. You have to scroll past the midi channels to get to the usb midi channels.

So the good news, usb midi works with zero phasing. Bad news, the usb cable adds a ground loop hum (known issue).

However, now i'm thinking the normal midi phasing is my firewire 410 sound card. I wish I could be sure. Maybe I should buy a midi interface like a motu. If it works, the nord is good, throw out the 410. If it doesn't nord needs warranty repair or return...

I have always found Logic to be pretty solid with midi. Nothing is perfect but if you have a tested midi file (check it with Quicktime..) then Logic's output is pretty much always solid in my experience. I have heard bad things about the 410 or more to the point, M-Audio's focus on getting drivers working for it. I am under the impression that they have turned their back on sorting out driver issues as many times as they feel that could get away with it which is one of the main reasons the Midi Sport midi interface (which I no longer have to use) would be the last thing I bought from them until fairer weather comes from their direction (and I think that was designed by someone else..)

That said. Considering Nord obviously didn't bothered testing their USB connection before releasing their machine and Roland offered an MP3/WAV playback feature to play along with that the CPU doesn't appear to be able to handle, there may be little hope for manufacturers ever really giving a crap about their customer overall. In fact, the only company I have every bought something as technical as an audio interface from without any complaints is RME.

Regards. Rimmer

L
OP Offline
L
The usb problem was the 410. Although I didn't play with timing settings, it used to work and simply started phasing one day. I'm not using it anymore, and I didn't want to anyway. Now the issues is the actually "noise" on the usb ground line. This is what I'm working on now that the usb hub reduces., but power situation doesn't affect.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission