Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1654125 - 04/04/11 07:24 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: kevinb]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: kevinb
Even Bach (sorry) had his off-days.

Umm, no, he really didn't.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1654127 - 04/04/11 07:27 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: kevinb]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

There's a huge difference between 'dull' and 'dark'. And between 'depressing' and 'serious'. At least, that's how it seems to me.

I did not complain about music that is dark and serious. Some of my favourite music is as dark and serious as it comes. I complained about music that is dull and depressing. 'Rite of Spring', for example, is -- I would say -- dark and serious. But it's not depressing, and it's certainly not dull.

On the other hand, I find a lot of Vivaldi's music dull and depressing, even when it is lively and light-hearted. Sorry, I know he has many fans. But I find some of it rather, well, businesslike ad uninspired, and it makes me think "here we go again". Of course, given Vivaldi's prolific output and the conditions in which he worked, it's hardly surprising that he had to be businesslike about it.

I certainly wasn't intending to pick on the classical era. There is good and bad music of all era and all genres. It's completely unreasonable to expect that every piece of music in a particular genre, or even from a particular composer, will fill your bucket. Even Bach (sorry) had his off-days.

I don't really care about specific word comparisons. If you find Vivaldi dull and depressing then you DO indeed have a problem and the problem is NOT with the music (I'm not some great Vivaldi proponent either).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1654225 - 04/04/11 10:46 AM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

There's a huge difference between 'dull' and 'dark'. And between 'depressing' and 'serious'. At least, that's how it seems to me.

I did not complain about music that is dark and serious. Some of my favourite music is as dark and serious as it comes. I complained about music that is dull and depressing. 'Rite of Spring', for example, is -- I would say -- dark and serious. But it's not depressing, and it's certainly not dull.

On the other hand, I find a lot of Vivaldi's music dull and depressing, even when it is lively and light-hearted. Sorry, I know he has many fans. But I find some of it rather, well, businesslike ad uninspired, and it makes me think "here we go again". Of course, given Vivaldi's prolific output and the conditions in which he worked, it's hardly surprising that he had to be businesslike about it.

I certainly wasn't intending to pick on the classical era. There is good and bad music of all era and all genres. It's completely unreasonable to expect that every piece of music in a particular genre, or even from a particular composer, will fill your bucket. Even Bach (sorry) had his off-days.

I don't really care about specific word comparisons. If you find Vivaldi dull and depressing then you DO indeed have a problem and the problem is NOT with the music (I'm not some great Vivaldi proponent either).

That's OK: we can agree to differ.

Nevertheless, if you feel that the entire output of every composer whose name we remember is all top-notch stuff, I'd suggest that you have a problem -- one of discrimination.

It's easy to forget that the classical music we all know and play represents the best of 400-odd years of work by thousands and thousands of composers. I suspect there's a good reason why the rest of it didn't make it.

#1654277 - 04/04/11 12:18 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: kevinb]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That's OK: we can agree to differ.

Of course, we can. It happens all the time.

Nevertheless, if you feel that the entire output of every composer whose name we remember is all top-notch stuff, I'd suggest that you have a problem -- one of discrimination.

Well, IF I felt (and I don't) that the entire output of every composer whose name we remember is top-notch stuff, then who would I be discriminating against? You did say those whose names we remember, so, wouldn't it be rather that I (and everyone else) have a faulty memory?

It's easy to forget that the classical music we all know and play represents the best of 400-odd years of work by thousands and thousands of composers. I suspect there's a good reason why the rest of it didn't make it.

If it's the best of the best, then the best qualifies as "dull and depressing"?

♪ ≠ $

#1654404 - 04/04/11 03:40 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If it's the best of the best, then the best qualifies as "dull and depressing"?

I don't think that's what I said. Or at least, what I meant to say. It seems to me that I'm entitled to find some music pretty dull -- and I mean that not in the stylistic sense, but in the psychological one. Since I haven't listened to the entire output of every composer who ever lived, I wouldn't want to put a figure on what proportion that amounts to.

It seems to me that the more music you listen to, an the wider the range of different composers and genres, the more music you're likely to find that doesn't do much for you. If you confine yourself -- for reasons of taste or because of professional pressures -- to composers who music is widely recognized to be consistently excellent, then of course you're going to encounter far fewer howlers.

#1654424 - 04/04/11 04:09 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

A lot of classical music is, to mind mind, dull and depressing.

That's YOUR problem. It's your perception...formed by you. There's is more than plenty of excitement in the darkest, most serious music. I'm sorry that you don't hear it.

I came quite late to classical music. I took a music appreciation class in college a million years ago and I distinctly remember wondering what was wrong with me, that I didn't enjoy this stuff. Of course, I knew the problem was with my ear, not the music.

A couple of decades later I happened to catch some Bach at a friend's house and it blew me away. I couldn't believe how wonderful it was..

But it's been a process. It took me a while to warm up to Beethoven who used to strike me as bombastic and dull. To be truthful, some of his stuff still does, but in the main I now find his work magnificent...

Mozart was much easier for me to get. Chopin easier still. I still have a ways to go however with many composers.

#1654430 - 04/04/11 04:16 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: kevinb]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It seems to me that the more music you listen to, an the wider the range of different composers and genres, the more music you're likely to find that doesn't do much for you. If you confine yourself -- for reasons of taste or because of professional pressures -- to composers who music is widely recognized to be consistently excellent, then of course you're going to encounter far fewer howlers.

There's little that I've ever come across from the great composers that I don't like and what I've usually found when I do encounter such a work it's because I don't understand it.

♪ ≠ $

#1654436 - 04/04/11 04:20 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
There's little that I've ever come across from the great composers that I don't like and what I've usually found when I do encounter such a work it's because I don't understand it.

This is my philosophy and experience exactly.

That's why, every few months, I try Alkan again. So far, nothing. frown

-Jason

#1654442 - 04/04/11 04:26 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

+ 1

I'm the same way. Sometimes it bothers me that I like everything I hear; I feel like I should be more discerning or selective or something. But then, why should someone not want to enjoy music?

#1654445 - 04/04/11 04:28 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The problem is that we (communally) tend to define 'great' in terms of 'people whose work we all consistently like'. It's hard to disagree strongly with what you say because, well, it's almost tautological.

I concede, however, that there are composers who many people -- particular academically-minded musicians -- tend to put in the 'great' category even though many people have no taste for their work. Which is why I said your argument was only _almost_ tautological. wink

I wonder sometimes whether, for example, Schoenberg would be regarded as a great composer if he had only ever worked in serialism. Or Messiaen if he only ever worked in his own modal system. There must surely be a very strong connection between 'greatness' and 'consistently likeable output'.

#1654487 - 04/04/11 05:32 PM Re: Does classical music really make you depressed? [Re: stores]
ghostwind Offline

Loc: USA

Understand how? Why must one understand music to enjoy it? Music requires no explanation IMHO. If it needs explanation, well then the point it lost. If you dissect & analyze ANYTHING you will gain more knowledge and appreciation for it, true, but that's appreciating with your head, not your heart (unless it's something you already appreciate and like and want to further study it). There is plenty of classical music I don't like, and I do understand it - the context, the intentions of the composer, the notation, etc. As a musician I can appreciate that, but I still find the music boring or uninteresting. If everyone were to like everything, that would be strange indeed..

Edited by ghostwind (04/04/11 05:34 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, anotherscott, Atrys, 46 invisible), 1412 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission