Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
120 registered (36251, Aspirant, anotherscott, Artur Gajewski, Anita Potter, 47 invisible), 1422 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1654281 - 04/04/11 12:33 PM 1976 Era Kimball
nwpiano Offline

Loc: Oregon
There is a 1976 era 6'7" Kimball in my area being sold by an original owner. I am not shopping for myself, but was asked to provide a friend with some suggestions on purchasing a piano for her grand daughter. She knows nothing about pianos. I of course would never purchase an instrument without having the grand daughter play the instrument, but am simply trying to provide this individual with a good list of prospective instruments as they don't know the difference between a Bosendorfer and Suzuki. Are Kimball's of that era built well? If this is an instrument worth considering I would have a technician go over the piano thoroughly. Would this instrument have the Shwanger (sorry probably mispelled) action? The piano is listed for $4995.

Thanks,
Craig

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1654330 - 04/04/11 01:49 PM Re: 1976 Era Kimball [Re: nwpiano]
TGG Offline

Loc: Houston
Dear NW Piano,

It dates me, but I bought one of the smaller Kimball grands when I was in college in 1975. It had a, I think it is spelled "Schwander," action, and played very nicely. Nice tone, and very basic cabinet. It was all I could ask for for quite a long time. Think I kept it and carried it around the country, until 2001. Tough little bugger. My buddies and I used to wrap it in blankets, take the legs and pedals off and move it around Billings, Mont., in the back of my pickup.

Ah, but I wax nostalgic. I believe that, in those days, Kimball was being made in the USA, the materials were good. It was never more than a mass produced consumer instrument, but it certainly was a pleasure to play for a long time.

Because it was never no Steinway, the Kimball you're talking about could be quite nice, or junk, depending on how it has been maintained. I would think that a 35 year old Kimball would be near the end of its productive life if it has been played a lot, and not really a candidate for very extensive rebuilding work. If it has truly been sitting in one living room for those 35 years, got tuned at least annually, wasn't played much and hasn't been moved around, it could be a diamond in the rough. Best of luck with it. TGG

#1654724 - 04/04/11 11:36 PM Re: 1976 Era Kimball [Re: nwpiano]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: nwpiano
There is a 1976 era 6'7" Kimball in my area being sold by an original owner. I am not shopping for myself, but was asked to provide a friend with some suggestions on purchasing a piano for her granddaughter. She knows nothing about pianos. I of course would never purchase an instrument without having the granddaughter play the instrument, but am simply trying to provide this individual with a good list of prospective instruments as they don't know the difference between a Bosendorfer and Suzuki. Are Kimball's of that era built well? If this is an instrument worth considering I would have a technician go over the piano thoroughly. Would this instrument have the Shwanger (sorry probably mispelled) action? The piano is listed for $4995.

Kimball pianos of that period were structurally well-made. Their cosmetics and detailing were a bit rough. They used a variety of different soundboard designs. I have a similar piano for sale—1979 “Art-case” oak cabinet—with a laminated soundboard. No matter what the weather nothing is going to happen to that board! I’ve seen others from around the same period with solid spruce boards. A technician can tell. I wouldn’t worry about either one; especially if the piano has been in the NW throughout its life.

A good technician can also tell you what the action is like. I just recently wrote this about a similar piano:
The Kimball might be a decent piano but find out what, if anything, has been done to the action. Kimball’s used English-built Schwander actions which can be quite nice but Kimball tended to use the version with wippen assist springs and very little—sometimes no—key leading. These actions worked well but did feel a bit odd if one was used to a more typical amount of key inertia. When we get one of these pianos in that we are going to resell we reduce the tension of this spring to just balance the wippen and then add key leads to the front of the keys to give the action an averaged downweight of 52—48 grams (bass to treble). This gives the action a more normal touch and feel. It’s not essential that this work be done—the action will be reliable without it—but it does feel some better to most pianists.

If the piano is as described—and a competent technician gives it a clean bill of health—the price is fair for this area.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Antique Piano
by NeoNeo78
11/23/14 03:29 AM
Hammer felt repairs. Advice Please
by Beachdingo
11/23/14 02:12 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159287 Topics
2339886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission