Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1654383 - 04/04/11 03:17 PM Youtube Matched third party content
albynism Offline

Does anyone have this problem?
Youtube claimed that five (out of six) of my videos matched third party content.
And as a result they are putting ads on my videos.
But the videos are just me playing Chopin at my house. I thought it is in public domain?
I also received an email from youtube
"Your video, Chopin Nocturne, may have content that is owned or licensed by Warner Chappell.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information."

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1654384 - 04/04/11 03:18 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I have gotten those messages, too, albynism, and I have taken them at their word ("no action is required on your part") and ignored them. I haven't been carried away in handcuffs yet, so I figure it's nothing to worry about. laugh

#1654387 - 04/04/11 03:24 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Monica K.]
albynism Offline

Thanks, I'm just curious about the ads they are putting on the videos. Does that mean Warner Chappell is making money from the ads they are putting on MY videos?

Very nice playing by the way smile

#1654388 - 04/04/11 03:25 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
lyricmudra Offline

I've received the same messages for a couple of my videos. I did exactly what Monica K. did -- ignore them. :-)

#1654396 - 04/04/11 03:30 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
lyricmudra Offline

Forgot to mention in my previous post above: They have not put ads on my videos, however, even though they said they might.

#1654400 - 04/04/11 03:34 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Youtube uses an automated system that compares the audio of content that you upload with a library of copyrighted content. If they get within a certain tolerance match, then you get that message. At this point there are two paths you can take, the first is what Monica says, and that's to do nothing. If you go this route, you've implicitly agreed that your content is violating copyright and are agreeing to the copyright holders terms, which is often to allow you to continue exhibiting the copyrighted content (i.e. letting it still be accessible on youtube) in exchange for allowing them to place ads on your videos.

The second approach is to contest their finding. You go through a series of web pages where you state that your upload does not violate any copyrights. Careful with this, just because it's you performing, lots of sheet music contains restrictions on performances of the content of the sheet music, so you may still be violating copyright. You are given several options that explains why you are not in violation (e.g. you are claiming that their comparison engine simply got it wrong, you got permission from the copyright holder, etc). Your content then goes through a "probationary" period while your "protest" is reviewed (your content is still fully available during this period). If the copyright holder doesn't find any issues, then the flag is permanently removed and you're good to go.

Which of the two approaches you take is completely up to you. Note that if you don't do anything, like it says, you are fine since you are agreeing to bide by the terms of the copyright holder that is accusing you of infringement, they shouldn't be knocking on your door since your "punishment" is allowing them to possibly generate revenue off of you.

#1654412 - 04/04/11 03:52 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA

#1654613 - 04/04/11 08:41 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
My son's recording of the third movement of the Pathetique got flagged a few weeks ago. The term used is:

UMG content type .... whatever that is.

A twelve year old's playing of the Pathetique is now blocked in Germany. This .... is .... totally .... stupid.

I filed a complaint. Nothing has happened.

Youtube's own credibility is compromised if they automatically defer to these bots. I can imagine a next generation program that would attract crossovers from youtube if it could screen out the nuisance claims from the (likely very small number of) genuine copyright issues.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1654673 - 04/04/11 10:12 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Piano*Dad]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

UMG = Universal Music Group

#1654677 - 04/04/11 10:16 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Piano*Dad]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My son's recording of the third movement of the Pathetique got flagged a few weeks ago. The term used is:

A twelve year old's playing of the Pathetique is now blocked in Germany. This .... is .... totally .... stupid.

I filed a complaint. Nothing has happened.

P*D, my guess is that Universal Music Group("UMG") doesn't like its intellectual property being used without permission. It appears to be a performance copyright issue (see my link above).

#1654680 - 04/04/11 10:23 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Piano*Dad Offline

UMG cannot own every playing of the Pathetique sonata. They may own Brendel's rendition, and if I reproduced Brendel's playing of it without their permission that might be a grievance.

Do they really think Brendel sounds like a twelve year old? grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1654694 - 04/04/11 10:43 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Piano*Dad]
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think it is likely technologically impossible to write a program to make that determination. smile

I feel sorry for youtube. It's nothing but downside for them. If they do nothing, they're guilty of hosting copyrighted materials. Given their deep pockets, they make themselves a nice juicy target. Millions of videos uploaded everyday. Tens of thousands of potential copyright holders aggressively wanting to protect their property. Millions of people chewing up their bandwidth by the gigabytes, never paying them a dime or ever clicking on one of their ads (myself included). I/P compliance issues that must be monitored accurately in a technologically imperfect world.

I'll bet the list goes on and on...

I'd cut them a "little" slack... smile
(Don't mind me. I'm just feeling a bit guilty about the countless hours of entertainment the site has provide to me and I've never paid them a dime)

Edited by Akira (04/04/11 10:44 PM)

#1654716 - 04/04/11 11:17 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Akira]
EmptySpace Offline

Loc: Ohio
Akira:

Don't feel too bad for YouTube; Google makes cash in buckets, and if there wasn't a compelling economic argument for YouTube's existence, it wouldn't. Exist, that is.

Edited to add that there is rumor going around that Rebecca Black is making more per month than the average adult wage earner makes in three years from her YouTube Video. And you have to know that YouTube takes their cut first.

Edited by EmptySpace (04/04/11 11:21 PM)

#1654947 - 04/05/11 09:31 AM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: Piano*Dad]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe you're short changing PS's playing wink

Just dispute it (misidentification of copyrighted material). It'll take them a bit to sort things out but in the mean time the video is available and it's not a big deal.

#1656009 - 04/06/11 10:27 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Piano*Dad Offline

I disputed it weeks ago. So far, still banned in Germany! grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1656259 - 04/07/11 11:30 AM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Youtube and Germany have been fighting over copyrights and royalties for a while now, it has nothing to do with your video per se. Don't hold your breathe on this being resolved any time soon.

#1656424 - 04/07/11 04:25 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
Piano*Dad Offline

Interesting. What does Germany actually want to achieve? Does the German government actually believe that some German firm is owed royalties because a kid in Virginia plays Beethoven? Not likely. But what is their gain from making overly broad, and thus transparently false, claims of ownership?

Youtube .... and thus Google, would seem to have an incentive in finding a low cost (technological) way to discriminate between claims that have a realistic chance of being valid from ones that are essentially a form of harassment.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1656457 - 04/07/11 05:12 PM Re: Youtube Matched third party content [Re: albynism]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Three entities involved here, Youtube, the German courts, and GEMA a German royalty collection group. The skinny is that GEMA is pushing Youtube in the courts and the courts are tending to side with GEMA, holding Youtube at least partially financially liable for copyright infringement of it's users. Google is taking the most conservative approach by simply banning in Germany any video for which there is any doubt as to it's copyright status (basically, even if someone goes through the dispute process knowing that the work is really copyrighted, that Google could STILL be partially liable). In most countries, the fact that Google forces you to acknowledge that you are not uploading copyrighted materials and in the dispute process to again acknowledge that you are not violating copyrights is good enough to generally let them off the hook, not so in Germany.

Actually, I think the incentive is pretty low for them to get aggressive about improving the matching tech. There is only one "problem" country and while I'm sure they'll slowly improve their matching technology, for the most part the dispute process, while a bit annoying, does work. Plus I assume that it legally behooves them to err on the side of generating false positives vs letting the occasional copyrighted work slip though.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
73 registered (barbaram, Ben_NZ, Alux, bennevis, aesop, 15 invisible), 1054 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission