Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1656245 - 04/07/11 11:12 AM Help Selling a Steinway
Selling A Piano Offline

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend sell her Steinway NY model A with an Ebony finish. It was built in April 2005 and she bought it in the spring of 2006 for about $70K. She had a PianoDisk PianoCD installed on it but it never worked correctly and the control head has been at the dealer for repair since the summer 2006. (they are trying to find it) So, it has only about 10 hours of actual playing time on it.

Does anyone have an idea of what is a reasonable selling price and a good way to go about selling this pristine item?

Many thanks.

Hal

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1656273 - 04/07/11 11:50 AM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum.

You can purchase an ad to advertise your piano on this site. Pianomart and craigslist are also mentioned often here. The forum generally frowns upon people trying to directly solicit a piano sale in the piano forum.

I don't sell pianos, and don't know how a non-functional pianodisc system figures into the pricing. I would probably look at the pianobuyer pricing guide for a new instrument, as well as read the information about used instruments and depreciation there. You can start with the price of a new one, figure in a small discount (roughly 10%), then depreciate it to reflect its age and lack of factory warranty (pianos tend to depreciate most in their first decade). Until someone with more knowledge of the market chimes in, my "gut" reaction for just the piano would be something around $50k... possibly less in this economy.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1656287 - 04/07/11 12:21 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Rich D. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rehoboth Beach De. USA
For what it's worth, a friend of mine in the Washington DC area purchased a new Steinway A around the same time as your friend. It took her quite a few months to sell it but I believe she got something in the upper 40s. I doubt that having the PianoDisk PianoCd option will enhance it's value (especially since it's on the blink). In fact, it may not appeal to many serious pianists. Good luck.

Rich

"Life is like a piano....what you get out of it depends on how you play it"
Anonymous

#1656298 - 04/07/11 12:43 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Rich D.
I doubt that having the PianoDisk PianoCd option will enhance it's value (especially since it's on the blink). In fact, it may not appeal to many serious pianists.

I’ve never had a desire for a player system…

I want to play my piano myself, (though the player would be much better than me laugh ).

Rick

#1656305 - 04/07/11 12:49 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Rickster]
DebraK Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: Rich D.
I doubt that having the PianoDisk PianoCd option will enhance it's value (especially since it's on the blink). In fact, it may not appeal to many serious pianists.

I’ve never had a desire for a player system…

I want to play my piano myself, (though the player would be much better than me laugh ).

Rick

I had one added to my piano and am very sorry I did. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I thought it would give me hours of listening to my favorite works played on a real piano, but instead it is so loud it runs everyone out of the house. I have someone coming to adjust it next week and am hoping for improvement, but I'm not holding my breath. I would much rather just play the piano myself, even though I'm not very good.

Yamaha C3

#1656422 - 04/07/11 04:16 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Unless the pianodisk system works and works well I would suspect that the piano might sell better with it removed completely.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#1656426 - 04/07/11 04:26 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Something doesn't seem quite right with this post. Do you mean to tell us that the owner of the piano has not even questioned why PianoDisc unit would be "at the dealer for repair" for 5 YEARS?!? Seriously? What's missing here?

If the installer of the system was an authorized installer/dealer, etc., for PianoDisc, any issue it might have had would have been taken care of years ago - maybe there is more to the story, before everyone starts trashing the player system.

We've installed those systems for years and I can count on two (yes, two) fingers how many times the unit had to be switched out for a warranty issue.

Whether or not the piano will sell sooner with the system, depends on who the buyer is. In our experience, its been about 50/50.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1656428 - 04/07/11 04:28 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Delaware (slower/lower)
Originally Posted By: Selling A Piano
Steinway NY model A with an Ebony finish. It was built in April 2005 and she bought it in the spring of 2006 for about $70K.

That's a steep price. New model B's were going for about 63K back then. I hope your friend is prepared to take a big loss. I don't know what a new A goes for today, but I doubt you'll get more than 35K, and that's if the piano is fantastic.

#1656433 - 04/07/11 04:34 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Ralph
That's a steep price. New model B's were going for about 63K back then. I hope your friend is prepared to take a big loss. I don't know what a new A goes for today, but I doubt you'll get more than 35K, and that's if the piano is fantastic.

I thought Steinway pianos appreciated in value and were great investments? confused

Rick

#1656438 - 04/07/11 04:42 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Rickster]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I thought Steinway pianos appreciated in value and were great investments? confused

Rick

Only if you're a Steinway dealer.

#1656439 - 04/07/11 04:42 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Go Rickster!

I agree that there has to be more to the story than we now know. Five years is a long time to wait for repairs, particularly if the piano is completely untouched for all that time. The idea of a five year old piano that has only been played for 10 hours total seems very odd.

#1656445 - 04/07/11 04:52 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Ralph]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Steinway NY model A with an Ebony finish. It was built in April 2005 and she bought it in the spring of 2006 for about $70K.

But the price inluded the Piano Disc System which can add many thousands, depending on how fancy the system was.

The current SMP for a Steinway A is around 74K and the piano is less than five years old. Without the Piano Disk system included, Fine's depreciation schedule would place its value at around 70% of 74K or in the high 40's.

#1656464 - 04/07/11 05:24 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Ralph]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Rick

Only if you're a Steinway dealer.

Or if it is old enough.

#1656575 - 04/07/11 10:09 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: pianoloverus]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
The current SMP for a Steinway A is around 74K and the piano is less than five years old. Without the Piano Disk system included, Fine's depreciation schedule would place its value at around 70% of 74K or in the high 40's.

Wooooh. Maybe they are a good investment after all. I didn't realise they had gone up so much.

#1656576 - 04/07/11 10:12 PM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: pianoloverus]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US

But the price inluded the Piano Disc System which can add many thousands, depending on how fancy the system was.

hmm, isn't 70% of 74K actually $51,800 (also known as the low 50's) smile

Edited by sophial (04/07/11 10:13 PM)

#1656664 - 04/08/11 02:28 AM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: Selling A Piano]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
The missing Pianodisc CD controller (box) can be easily replaced via Pianodisc in that the system is still in production though the Pianodisc IQ conversion at this stage may make the piano more marketable.
50K+ seems more accurate as for resale even in a recessed market. The piano with the player is way over 70K new at present.
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1656732 - 04/08/11 08:04 AM Re: Help Selling a Steinway [Re: sophial]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: sophial

hmm, isn't 70% of 74K actually $51,800 (also known as the low 50's) smile
Yes, but I was throwing in a fudge factor for of a small discount from SMP that Steinway seems to have been giving recently. The deprciation schedule is based on actual present selling prices.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
183 registered (accordeur, Akshay, acortot, 36251, 50 invisible), 1801 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249466 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
04/16/14 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
04/16/14 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
04/16/14 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission