Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 10 of 93 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#1609272 - 01/31/11 06:36 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
saiman Offline

Thank you custard. It was a long long process. the software is called MuseScore and you can download it for free smile

Piano & Music Accessories
#1609303 - 01/31/11 07:51 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Hey Saiman,

I'll post a few comments later. Thanks for posting ++

#1609351 - 01/31/11 09:55 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Simon,

This is a great composition. I played it real quick before leaving for work. Here are a few thoughts.
First off, you really got a good handle on those minor 2-5s. That's great. I particularly like bar 3-4-5. Very nice sounds with wide intervals followed by small ones. That's basically the spirit.

It's also good how you vary your entrances, mostly on 1&, but sometimes on 1 or 4&. Those are the most common entry points.

You have a good balance of note duration, whole, mostly 8th, some 1/4 and a few triplets. That ration seems pretty good to me.

Here are a couple of suggestions for your next one.
- Db7. The line on Db7 didn't really work for me. You really went out there. Starting with C natural on beat 1 is uncommon. Because that's the major 7 over what should be a minor 7. Anytime you play a note a 1/2 step above a chord tone, especially on beat 1 or 3, you're essentially getting away from the chord. Simply changing to a Cb will do the trick. The rest rest up to beat 3 is also out, but ok. Then on beat 3, you play an Fb, which is the minor 3rd. A simple F would work better here. You can think of this Db7 as if it were a G7, and that might help you a bit. It will still sound tense if you lay a G7, but the basic chord tones will be the same. There are tons of ways to create tension, via scales, chord, extensions or neighboring tones for example.
- Length. You can experiment with longer lines. This will force you to think for longer than a chord or 2. The challenge being to connect the chords. Long lines a generally 3 bars or longer, but they can stretch to 8 bars or even more. Just now I am transcribing Bloomdido, which is a Charlie Parker Blues, and his second chorus is one single line of 8th notes. 12 measures.
- Range. You basically kept it to an octave range. That's great if you're a singer, but as pianists, we have room. Especially with those arpeggios, you can easily stretch a few octaves. You can use range a way to create tension also.

what was long about creating the sheet?
Is it the interface that's hard to use, or that you're not so great with reading music. If it's the former, it's gotten better for me over the years. It's not so bad anymore. If it's a lot, I connect to the midi controller and then it's much faster. If it's the latter, then good, you'll learn a lot from it.

Very nice job! Do learn how to play it, memorize it, possibly sing it. This is your music, you want to know it!

#1609361 - 01/31/11 10:15 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
saiman Offline

thank you so much knotty. this is such useful advice. Do you think i can move on to the next composition.

Well it basically took me long to compose since I am not really hearing good lines as yet. Oftentimes I only had a couple minutes in a day and then when you go back to the composition after quite some time you are not feeling the previous line anymore.

Then I also took quite some time to get used to the interface of the program.

#1609375 - 01/31/11 10:32 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's normal that the composition takes a long time. It's a good thing. One thing I do, I sometimes just let the recording device run while I noodle with some lines. Sometimes, something good comes out. I then go back and save just that portion. I usually only write on paper once the whole thing is composed.

Go ahead and move on to the next. They will get more and more challenging. Harmonically, you will see odd chord changes, and that's what's challenging.

But this is really really good for your ear. You're really taking the time to listen and understand how the chord moves.

#1610015 - 02/01/11 02:07 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hi Simon
I've just played your composition too and like Knotty, I think it's great.
As usual, Knotty's advice is brilliant, I have nothing more to add.

For A section, it sounded cool when you ended the first phrase on E which is the 6th of G7.

I agree with Knotty that the progressions become increasingly challenging. Using repetition might help you. For example, the 1st phrase of your B section sounded nice and bluesey. When you come to the C section, you can alter this phrase slightly either melodically or rhythmically or both.

Finally, I wish to encourage you to persevere with JOI. It's worth the effort. Development-wise for your 2nd composition, you are up to where I was with my 5th composition. Well done !

#1612330 - 02/03/11 10:55 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ronmon Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi everyone!! I have to admit that I have been lurking for quite some time. I've had Dave's JOI Book One on my shelf for about a year now wanting to delve into it. I've now had about a year and a half of lessons and think I might give it a shot! The negative in this whole situation is that due to financial reasons, I am unable to continue my lessons. I have not seen much in the forum regarding fingerings for the lessons in the JOI series and know Dave mentions in the book how important proper fingering is.

Having said all that, do you folks use any hard/fast rules or do you figure out a fingering that is comfortable for your hand? I'm well aware of all of the scale fingerings, etc. Just don't want to develop bad habits..

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Ron

#1612395 - 02/04/11 12:33 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Welcome back Ron
I spend time on my fingerings for Dave's tunes to make sure I am using all my fingers.
Lots of people twist their wrists awkwardly because they tend to use fingers 1, 2 and 3 most of the time - these are our strongest fingers and therefore we are most comfortable with these fingers. However you should also ensure you use fingers 4 and 5.

I've noticed since doing Dave's Hanons that my 4th finger has become a lot stronger.

#1612686 - 02/04/11 02:01 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
ronmon Offline

Thanks a lot for the input custard! I'll definitely keep that in mind as I work through the lessons.

#1612889 - 02/04/11 09:03 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You're welcome Ron.
You can also use slides e.g. thumb plays Bb and then B.

#1613176 - 02/05/11 12:16 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
saiman Offline

Hi Ronmon welcom to the Joi joint. With Custard and Knotty around you definitely in good hands:)

#1613315 - 02/05/11 03:58 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: saiman]
ronmon Offline

Thanks Saiman...been looking forward to this challenge for quite some time.

Thanks again Custard!

#1615047 - 02/07/11 11:11 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ronmon,

welcome to the gang. This method is dynamite. But you kinda have to stick to it for a while. Take a look at the earlier posts along this thread. If some doesn't make sense, go ahead and ask. The Joi foundation book can easily keep you busy an hour a day. As you start piling more challenges, you'll really get a lot to do.

Have fun!

Cus,

how's the improv going? Keep it simple! wink

#1615172 - 02/08/11 06:41 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Knotty
Here's what I'm up to.

Re improv, tomorrow I will finish the last key for descending lines. I've been doing as you suggested - composing a short line 1st, so that my improv comes out better and less random.
The day after tomorrow I will begin your exercise - arps up, scales down etc.

I'm on Lesson 19 Hanons @ 144 bpm.

I'm on Lesson 21 tunes.

Tomorrow I will record the transcription of Bill Evan's A Time for Love.

Thanks for your help.
cus

#1615199 - 02/08/11 08:17 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

you're so organized!

#1615704 - 02/08/11 10:14 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
ronmon Offline

Thanks Knotty!! I'll take a look at the previous posts as questions come up. Good to know I'm in good company!!

#1616647 - 02/10/11 03:11 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hello
This is my recording of the transcription of Bill Evans' solo A Time for Love, a beautiful ballad written by Webster and Mandel.
I would really appreciate help on how to do an outro. I wanted to end after the 1st chorus so I just played some chords.
Thanks.

http://www.box.net/shared/mptz0d77r8

The sheet is at the end of Dave's masterclass notes.

http://www.davefrankjazz.com/ustream/billevans/evans.html

#1616690 - 02/10/11 07:18 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>>>This is my recording of the transcription of Bill Evans' solo A Time for Love, a beautiful ballad written by Webster and Mandel.

Wow, this is really well played! It's very impressive. It's great that you have the technique to execute that kind of arrangement. And now I see where you took some of the ideas for 'Never let me go'.

Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9fqwbS2wPA

And try to steal some of his rubato feel. You can put it in transcribe, slow it down and try to play along to it to get the most out of it.

Check out the original above, you can definitely steal an idea or 2 for the outro.

Are you a good reader?

Edited by knotty (02/10/11 02:40 PM)

#1617074 - 02/10/11 05:01 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Knotty
Thanks so much for your kind comments. I wanted to do a bit of justice to such a great piece so I spent 15 min a day on it for nearly 3 months.
Yes, you are right, the LH ideas for my Never Let Me Go arrangement were inspired by Bill especially the Baroque-like countermelody, upwards movement, downwards movement, and wave movement.

Thanks for the cool idea of playing along to the original, I will try this today and let you know how I go. So you recommend I go more rubato.
Like you, I try and get it right with the metronome initially. But I should try and get away from it subsequently ?

I'm good at reading up to 3 accidentals. So luckily this piece was in D major. But once I get to E major and Ab major, things suddenly deteriorate quickly !

#1617094 - 02/10/11 05:29 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> Like you, I try and get it right with the metronome initially. But I should try and get away from it subsequently ?

I think that's a good approach. It's really hard, at least for me, to learn anything without a metronome. The metronome ensures you're playing slow so you can pick up the speed later.

But now that you have this really cool arrangement under your fingers, which seem very true to the original, then why not try and push it farther, and copy the rest of what Bill does. It's a different exercise I guess.

>> I'm good at reading up to 3 accidentals. So luckily this piece was in D major. But once I get to E major and Ab major, things suddenly deteriorate quickly !
I know what you mean. I'm trying to improve my reading a bit, and I'm not really sure what the best approach is. Sight reading isn't really the goal, the goal, for me, would be to play a jazz transcription in as little time as required.

In any event, you're very disciplined and that's a great thing. Doesn't it feel good when you can play something like that? Keep playing it once in a while, it will only get better.

#1617105 - 02/10/11 05:43 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
>>
But now that you have this really cool arrangement under your fingers, which seem very true to the original, then why not try and push it farther, and copy the rest of what Bill does. It's a different exercise I guess.

>> Doesn't it feel good when you can play something like that? Keep playing it once in a while, it will only get better.

Do you mean I should learn more choruses of A Time for Love ? Or should I move onto another song of Bill's ?

Yeah it does feel good, as Dave said in his masterclass this song is the holy grail of solo piano.

#1617107 - 02/10/11 05:47 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I heard that Pres was chosen to replace Coleman Hawkins when Coleman suddenly had to pull out, because the 2 other tenor sax guys in contention couldn't read.

Apparently Pres' dad didn't want him just muckin' around imitating, he forced Pres to learn how to read.

#1617384 - 02/11/11 02:36 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: knotty]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
>>>
And try to steal some of his rubato feel. You can put it in transcribe, slow it down and try to play along to it to get the most out of it.

I enjoyed the exercise. In particular Bill is not afraid to hold interesting tension chords for ages. Even if the chord is in m2.

I will try this exercise again tomorrow.

#1618843 - 02/13/11 09:26 AM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cus,

Are you gonna post that bill evans piece on the recital thread? you got until tonight ...

#1619151 - 02/13/11 04:30 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the nice idea Knotty. Could you please remind me where this thread is ?

btw I'm looking forward to your Menuet 3.

#1619163 - 02/13/11 04:43 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1618817/7.html

I don't know if we're going to record Minuet 3. The next recital in in June. Who knows where we'll be by then... But #3 might be it. We have some Handel next also.
Are you familiar with Suzuki ?

#1619293 - 02/13/11 07:43 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Knotty
I've just made my first ever submission on the recital thread ! I hope it worked.
I downloaded Source to convert from WAV to mp3.

I like Handel, he uses some nice counterpoint, the voices remind me of some of Bach's fugues.

If I am correct, Suzuki is a method where the learner can play Classical pieces without learning to read music ? I believe it is popular with kids.

#1619316 - 02/13/11 08:15 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> I've just made my first ever submission on the recital thread ! I hope it worked.
Congrats. You'll have the best one there. Or else they don't know what they're talking about wink
Since that post of yours, I've decided to get better at reading. That and I got a Bud powell book, and it would really help! So I'm gonna spend a few months practicing 15 minutes a day.

>> Suzuki
Yeah, that's it. The teacher plays, the student plays back. It's really a surprising method. We had a sub teacher once, and he wanted to teach my son a new piece. He played, and my son played right back at him. I could tell he was a bit surprised and said: "He learns everything like this?"

The drawback is that kids tend to resist reading, and the more you delay, the more they tend to resist it. This can be bad for joining school bands, quartets, or whatever. So we're doing some sight reading also. I'm getting better at the bass clef smile

And thanks for your comment on my Youtube channel. Enjoy Perhaps, it's a great tune and one of the easiest of Bird's solo. Billie's Bounce is among the easier ones, too. Let me know if you can't find the original.

#1619399 - 02/13/11 10:35 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's very nice of you to say that Knotty.

Re Suzuki, I know a 10 year old and a 4 year old who want to learn piano. So if you recommend Suzuki, maybe I should put them onto it.

I'm really looking forward to starting Perhaps and would appreciate the original.

#1619404 - 02/13/11 10:37 PM Re: Join the JOI jazz joint ! [Re: custard apple]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Knots
In a past post, I think you suggested that I should always be learning a Bill Evans song, besides doing my own arrangements.
Is there a particular Bill Evans song which you recommend I should try next ?

Page 10 of 93 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (AZNpiano, AndyG123, Belen, 18 invisible), 1202 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287349 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
Yesterday at 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
Yesterday at 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
Yesterday at 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission