Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
63 registered (Auver, BabyCat, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, angga888, 19 invisible), 1267 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1650369 - 03/29/11 04:03 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Schematic pics. [Re: ChrisA]
Zuul Offline

Didn't know that about the dowels. I like that idea. I used the cleat block way for my arcades. Very strong joint. I'm still undecided on whether to paint or cover. My wife is pretty crafty and brought this to my attention. Vinyl similar to Marshall Tolex The actual Marshall Tolex is wicked costly. This stuff looks close enough to me. I'm thinking about having them send a sample. Thank you for all your help. I'm sure that dowel thing is going to save me some headaches.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1650371 - 03/29/11 04:06 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: ChrisA]
CMac Offline

Chris, I picked up a Yamaha RX-N600e stereo amp to drive them. The amp will drive 6 channels at close to 95 watts a piece for an 8 ohm load. I am crossing the 4 sets of woofers and tweeters at 3k and just powering the 12 inchers toward the ground as is. That will use up 6 amps there. The speakers are rated for 100 watts a piece with 20 oz magnets. At this point I am planning on mounting the speakers directly to the soundboard and hoping that it does not introduce too much in the way of spurious resonant frequencies. Of course I will need to introduce a new baffle board on the bottom of the instrument to close the box. The volume of the new box will be large and I do not intend to port for anything.

As far as the imaging of the piano goes this is where I intend to hope for the best. The amplifier has a way of taking the 2 stereo channels and pushing them out in typical "surround" fashion. The left and right channels will be the far left and right as normal. The bottom drivers will be left and right from the "B" set of amps. The other two sets at the center and rear will be from the surround center and rear channels. I could have just put the 2 sets of drivers in the cabinet but a real piano is resonating from just about everywhere in the box to begin with. The sound engineer may have used a stereo or quad set of mics to capture the original sound from specific locations on the original instrument but this doesn't necessarily mean that the amplified sound will be accurately reproduced when listening on the piano bench. There are so many reflections off the lid etc that I wanted to create more of the "wall of sound" from the original instrument and let the imaging take care of itself. (If that makes any sense:) ) I owned a pair of Magnepan speakers years ago and loved the wall of sound they produce. It will be an experiment for sure.

Edited by CMac (03/29/11 04:19 PM)

#1650405 - 03/29/11 04:58 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: CMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: CMac
... There are so many reflections off the lid etc that I wanted to create more of the "wall of sound" from the original instrument and let the imaging take care of itself. ...

Yes, that is exactly the way acoustic grands do it. They send sound out in all directions in three dimensions.

I'd not thought about using an A/V receiver. They have DSP inside that solves a few problems and you can buy them cheap. And I could connect my Mac to an A/V receiver with just a single fiber optic cable. (All Macs have s/pdif optical out)

#1652275 - 04/01/11 06:37 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Zuul Offline

Appliance Epoxy. Smooth factory-like finish, ultra hard enamel. This stuff is really nice. I put some on a scrap piece I had from the other day and I love the way it looks. Very shiny, very smooth, and only $5 a can. I've still got to figure out what method to use for sealing the edges. I've read that a mixture of wood glue and water works, or prime and sand a number of times. A guy from work told me to try using spackling. Haven't tried any yet. But something is definitely needed. The edges of this stuff are thirsty. Have a look...

I think it might turn out better than I'd hoped.

Cheers
-Z

#1659125 - 04/12/11 06:07 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Zuul Offline

The build went very well. I didn't seem to hit any snags along the way. Got some latex enamel, satin black for the inside. I ended up not going with the epoxy spray paint. And I'm glad I didn't. I took a chance and stopped by a local fabric store to see if they had any vinyl that would be similar to guitar amp Tolex. SCORE!! I got 9 yards of the stuff for $25. That's less than what paint would've cost. I've never covered anything in vinyl before. Having done so, I'd like to add that I dislike spray adhesive a lot. That stuff gets everywhere and stays. Anyway, here's how it turned out.

#1659134 - 04/12/11 06:16 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Zuul Offline

As you can see from the shots, the damn spray glue gets everywhere. No worries though. A little goo gone and it cleaned up rather nicely. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I'm still stuck on is whether or not to apply moulding. I just placed the brown trim on the finished cab and I'm not sure I like it. I think it's just because the brown looks bad against the black. I'm digging the thought of an alien green trim on black though. hmm.... I don't know. I've got some metal corners from an old Peavey amp that I still need to add but I'm taking a break for a few days. What do you guys think about adding the trim?

Thanks for having a look.
-Z

#1659176 - 04/12/11 07:56 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Zuul Offline

2 more.

#1659290 - 04/13/11 02:19 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
dewar Offline

who needs those cabinets when you can build your own a box of band aids later.

Great job, it looks really sleek.

#1659339 - 04/13/11 07:33 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: dewar]
Kirikou Offline

Loc: Spain
No trim.

#1659355 - 04/13/11 08:15 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Nice job! How about red with a giant Nord logo?

#1659365 - 04/13/11 08:37 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
mariahdc Offline

Looks nice - congrats... smile

#1659401 - 04/13/11 10:19 AM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
Jim Ost Offline

Nice!

I'm thinking along the same lines but with locking wheels to move it around (I play in a couple of different rooms in the house). I'll have to get busy in my shop real soon.

Jim

#1659482 - 04/13/11 12:31 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: Zuul]
craig son of berg Offline

Loc: WPB, FL, US of A
really nice! just needs some more work for the stand. looks top heavy to the eye. Really nice job with the cabinet though. Throw some polk m70's on the side;)

#1659537 - 04/13/11 01:43 PM Re: Building piano cabinet for digital piano. Final Design. [Re: craig son of berg]
Zuul Offline

lol There isn't a stand at the moment. I've just got it sitting on a desk. I'm still working on how I want to build that part. The desk is plenty sturdy for the time being. I'm thinking of getting some Rokit monitors for the inside of the top part. It opens similar to the N2. It's not really important at the moment. I mostly play through headphones.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it. I'd still like some ideas for trim though, if you've got some.

-Z

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
12/19/14 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
12/19/14 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
12/19/14 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159973 Topics
2349294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission