Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165938 - 06/29/08 01:54 PM Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I was there the last week of a month's stay by Kurt Weissman, our head rebuilder.

What a spectacular place to visit. I thought I knew music history, but.... to walk where Mozart walked, to see what Brahms saw, to drink coffee at a cafe where Liszt hung out... this was awesome!!

Das Bosendorfer cafe is on Bosendorferstrasse. This is a cute little sandwich shop where you can get coffee or a beer or a glass of wine. It is not affiliated with the piano in any way, except that it is on the street named for the instrument. I wanted to eat here, but simply did not have time.

Just in case you thought I was teasing you, there IS a Bosendorferstrasse.

The Musikverein is Austria's version of Carnegie Hall. Musicians and ensembles from the world over perform here today, as did Johann Strauss and Liszt.

At the Salon Bosendorfer (located inside of the Musikverein) pianists meet and congregate. There are occasionally "meet the artist" type receptions here and there is a kitchen, wonderful coffee, and even better pianos on display there all the time.

At the Salon, I met my friend Simon Oss, who has recently been promoted to manager of most of Europe. (I am truly not clear on exactly which countries he is involved with, so Simon, if you see this, please fill us in). He is a fine gentleman and had fantastic coffee waiting for us when we arrived.

The church on Karlplatz, one of the historic plazas complete with fountains and almost nightly outdoor concerts. Sorry, I cannot remember its name, but it sher is perty!

Kurt Weissman, our head rebuilder, just spent a month at Bosendorfer. He was learning, but also teaching (which is waayy cool). Here we are examining some wood that is aging naturally. Bosendorfer never uses a kiln as it can "bruise" the natural characteristics of wood.

Here Kurt and I are standing with Bosendorfer's new president, Mr. Sakei. The woman with us is my sister Beth, who came with me as my wife could not.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#165939 - 06/29/08 01:56 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

Here are a few more images. First, back to the factory. Some have said in the past that the Bosendorfer factory spends more time on their plates than most manufacturers do on their entire piano. There is truth in that statement.

Here is a plate that has been sanded and prepped and has coats of sealant on it. Where ever you see some color other than the yellow primer, there was a blemish or uneven area in the finish. The worker was working with a chamois at the time, polishing the points where all of the struts meet so it would have a completely even surface.

Next, coats of finish are applied. You are seeing the finish being wetsanded. Again, they are trying to achieve the smoothes possible finish. This has absolutely nothing to do with tone.

Bosendorfer has a removable Capo D'Astro bar. This "pressure bar" keeps the treble strings under the optimal tension to achieve the finest sound possible in the treble. This much is common in many brands of pianos. As the piano ages, however, the treble strings can cut into the plate which compromises the termination point in this section. The Capo bar can be replaced if this happens, instead of shaving it down with a file, which is the only option on most other pianos.

Here we examine the rim and posts of a frame that is being completed. This body is entirely made of soundboard quality white spruce.

Speaking of soundboard quality white spruce, here is a board about to be installed into a piano.

Trivia question[/b]:

What model Bosie is this soundboard going into? Is it going into a normal run model or a CS series? Why did you choose your answer??

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#165940 - 06/29/08 01:57 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Rich :

What a wonderful picture-story. I am envious of your trip, but tnanks for sharing it.

Regards,

#165941 - 06/29/08 01:59 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

Just a couple more really cool pics. This is St. Stephens, that is basically surrounded by Vienna:

After going up almost 400 steps in a tiny little circular staircase, you are treated to this view from the spire:

This is the interior of the Royal Austrian Library. It is quite beautiful. Unfortunately we could not touch any of the books. I was dying to page through a few.

In the Museum of Ancient Musical Instruments I had a few favorites as well. This is a portable reed organ. Your friend stands at the opposite end and pumps the bellows while you play. When you are done, just close it up, fold over the cover, latch it, and carry it home like a briefcase:

Lastly, the Natural Science Museum. This is the main staircase - all marble and adorned with sculptures of many of history's greatest scientists:

Whew! This was a fantastic trip. I suggest a PW tour of some European piano factory next year. There are great fringe benefits!!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#165942 - 06/29/08 02:17 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Rich,
what great pictures of a fantastic trip! Would love to visit there myself someday, includiing the Bosie factory. Thanks for sharing these!

Sophia

#165943 - 06/29/08 02:20 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Wonderful stuff, Mr. Galassini. Thanks

#165944 - 06/29/08 02:26 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
What great pics, Rich. Thanks for sharing. I hope to get to Vienna someday.

#165945 - 06/29/08 02:43 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I wish *MY* siblings would take me on European vacations... \:D

Terrific photos, Rich. Thanks.

[patiently waiting for answer to soundboard trivia question. I'm going to guess that it's for the CS series, but it's just a guess.]

#165946 - 06/29/08 02:46 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Rich, thanks for including specifics of Bosie's design and prep.

Nicely chosen snaps, too.

#165947 - 06/29/08 02:47 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

Monica said:

Quote:
[patiently waiting for answer to soundboard trivia question. I'm going to guess that it's for the CS series, but it's just a guess.]
[/b]

OK. Your guess is duly noted - but remember the "why". Why did you say that? (Not saying you are right though).
;\)
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#165948 - 06/29/08 02:49 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh man. I forgot the "why." [wildly speculating here] Uh, because of the visibly patterned grain?

#165949 - 06/29/08 03:31 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Jeff Bauer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey Rich,

Awesome photo diary of the trip! Thanks so much for posting all of that!

Trivia answer:
deleted.

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Seiler | Restored Steinway

BauerHouse Productions

#165950 - 06/29/08 03:44 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
It's going into a 225 because of the shape of the board matches the footprint rim of the 225, and it looks too short for the 290.
[/b]

Jeff,

Well, I am a little taller than you are. ;\)

You are correct. But I knew YOU could answer the question! This was for others to try to answer. geez!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#165951 - 06/29/08 03:44 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Bear 1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hillsboro Beach South Florida
Rich,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous photos.
I toured the Bose factory and show rooms way back in 1987.
Your trip brought back some wonderful memories for me. \:\)

All the best,

Bear
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)

#165952 - 06/29/08 03:56 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Minnesota
Rich,

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You!

Such wonderful photos, such a delightful trip, and you are so kind to share the experience with us.

Did you happen to pack up a portable reed organ and bring it home? It would be a great piece of carry-on baggage. I'm not sure if it would stow under the seat in front of you, however.

\:D

#165953 - 06/29/08 04:03 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Rank Piano Amateur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Great photos of what was clearly a spectacular trip. It must have been wonderful to see the birthplace of so much music and so many glorious pianos . Thanks for sharing the pictures!

#165954 - 06/29/08 04:19 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Beautiful tour pics Rich.
Thank you, I now want to go to Vienna!

One question - why are your arms tired?

Beers?

Mike

#165955 - 06/29/08 04:37 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Awsome,I'm in envy that you could get away to experience this incredible excursion. Lifes to short!,I guess I gotta make time \:\( \:\)

If you envision a high end autobody & paint shop tbeir plate prep is no different than the hood of a new Mercedez. It's all in the prep! \:\)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#165956 - 06/29/08 05:37 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
Just a couple more really cool pics. This is St. Stephens, that is basically surrounded by Vienna:

Whew! This was a fantastic trip. I suggest a PW tour of some European piano factory next year. There are great fringe benefits!! [/b]
Great pictures and stories Rich.

This is exactly the type of combination fly/cruise I was hoping we could put together.
I agree, Europe would be the place to take the PW crew.

Thanks for sharing, I'm jealous now.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#165957 - 06/29/08 07:12 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Fabulous trip, Rich!!

Nice to see that Boesendorfer is obviously doing very well!!

Special thanks that you didn't show Vienna's main Ernst Heppel Soccer Stadium where Germany just lost the Euro soccer championship to Spain - as I had earlier 'predicted'.... \:o

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Fussballstadium2.jpg

But here's something that you certainly *should* have shown - Austria's world famous 'Sachertorte': even more important than all the other stuff in town ... ;\)

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Sachatorte.jpg

However,I must admit your visit was certainly highly 'cultured'.

#165958 - 06/29/08 07:27 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

How about a few last cool pics??

There is a collection of historic armor that ranges from simple breastplates to full suits of gold encrusted mail for ceromonial use.

Also, we took the regional train out to Danube and went through the gardens there. Here is the Danube Tower, which has a restaurant at the top and I am pretty sure part of it rotates.

The view from the tower was cool. Here is the Blue Danube and the surruonding village:

And some of the gardens:

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#165959 - 06/29/08 09:51 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Enough of the pictures and travelogue, where are the Austrian Chocolates you promised me????

#165960 - 06/29/08 10:13 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
Thanks Rich. I'm hopeful that the Yamaha-Boesendorfer tie-up will secure the long-term viability of Boesendorfer. I still have wonderful memories of the ravishing Imperial I used to occasionally play on when at university.

#165961 - 06/30/08 09:31 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Innominato Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Rich, thanks for the pics, you certainly did not waste your time there.. ;\)

It is beautiful to see that Boesendorfer seem not to lose anything of its features with the new bosses.

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin

#165962 - 06/30/08 09:38 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

but the big question is just how "blue" is the Blue Danube! \:D

#165963 - 06/30/08 09:52 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Great pic's, Rich! Thanks for sharing. I'll most likely never be able to travel to places like that so the pictures are a great substitute to the real thing!

Best regards,

Rickster

#165964 - 06/30/08 10:35 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Hey Rich

The factory just called...seems they're missing a couple "items"...they said you'd know what they were talking about.

Just curious, how DID you get that set of wood chisels and the spruce log on the plane??

#165965 - 06/30/08 10:50 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
ejsauter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Really great photos, Rich. Thank you for sharing!

http://www.sauter-pianos.com

#165966 - 06/30/08 11:38 AM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Great pics, Rich! I've been to Vienna a couple of times, but sure didn't see as much as you did!

The Bosie factory sounds amazing.

www.josephkubera.com

#165967 - 06/30/08 01:17 PM Re: Just got back from Vienna... and boy are my arms tired!
9000 Post Club Member

Joe,

The factory WAS amazing. Frankly, because of the work that we do here in Philly to Bosies, it was nothing new... until I met the people and found how dedicated and passionate they were.

BoseEric said:
 Quote:
Just curious, how DID you get that set of wood chisels and the spruce log on the plane??
[/b]

Well, once I cut it down to easily concealed slices, the log was easy to sneak out. ;\)

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (A Guy, accordeur, alfredo capurso, ajames, 39 invisible), 1806 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326092 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission