Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1660227 - 04/14/11 06:34 PM Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047
madcp Offline

Hello
I have been looking around for a couple of months now and have read numerous posts on this forum. Posted previously about a couple of U3's that I was looking at. Lots of good information - Thanks.

I have found that I like the brighter/clear sound of a piano and have been focusing on older Yamaha U3's and U1's which seem to "naturally" (I know it is a voicing thing) have that sound and which fall into what my budget will allow. I also recently played a new Henry F. Miller HMV047. I was impressed with the richness of the sound. I know that it is "entry level" piano and is made in the Pearl River plant in China which to me makes it seem more unique given the sound that comes out of these pianos. I played several of them and they all sounded relatively the same - rich, full bass, clear mid and upper ranges.

So, my current list is a reconditioned mid-70's U1 with reshaped hammers, new felts, adjusted regulation and some cosmetic things done to the case for around $3000 from a dealer with warranty, but I am not convinced that is necessarily a good buy although the piano sounds good.

I can get the new Henry Miller HMV047 for around $4000.

I am also thinking about checking out a 10 year old Charles Walters 1500. Private sale asking $4000. I know there are a lot of people in this forum that like the Walters. I haven't played it yet so not sure of the sound and it is a bit of a road trip to get to.

Aside from the price question about whether these piano's are worth the money, has anyone played much on the Henry Miller or have anything more to say regarding them? Not much about them here so far on the site.

thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1660341 - 04/14/11 10:48 PM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: madcp]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
I also recently played a new Henry F. Miller HMV047. I was impressed with the richness of the sound. I know that it is "entry level" piano and is made in the Pearl River plant in China which to me makes it seem more unique given the sound that comes out of these pianos.

Could somebody please explain to me how a piano with "rich sound" can be called "entry level" ? The basis of....?

Or how Henry Miller can be rated below Pearl River when in fact its made by same company?

Just asking...

Norbert confused

Edited by Norbert (04/14/11 10:49 PM)

#1660347 - 04/14/11 10:54 PM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: Norbert]
Nick Mauel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sarasota and Naples, FL
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
I also recently played a new Henry F. Miller HMV047. I was impressed with the richness of the sound. I know that it is "entry level" piano and is made in the Pearl River plant in China which to me makes it seem more unique given the sound that comes out of these pianos.

Could somebody please explain to me how a piano with "rich sound" can be called "entry level" ? The basis of....?

Or how Henry Miller can be rated below Pearl River when in fact its made by same company?

Just asking...

Norbert confused

Rated?

By who?
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist

#1660603 - 04/15/11 11:22 AM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: Nick Mauel]
madcp Offline

Norbert: Not sure if you are questioning my description of the rich sound or my calling it an entry level piano. Can't do much about the richness description as it is hard to describe sound. As to the entry level designation - that is based on others comments in this forum about the 047 as well as the Fines' piano buyer guide which drops Henry F. Miller's in the entry level category. Pearl River makes it to the Mid-range category. Some of the other pianos made in the same plant are rated higher - ie Ritmuller.

Anyway, to answer Nick's question I would guess the rating is out of the piano buyer guide - but not sure.

#1660646 - 04/15/11 12:27 PM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: madcp]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
madcp, I believe Norbert and Nick are just posing rhetorical questions and are happy to read your review. Norbert as we all know, er, comments positively, somewhat regularly, about Chinese brands. More like a lot. Sometimes less subtle than usual.

I don't think anyone is actually surprised by what you found. The Fine ratings aren't everything to everyone.

Check out the CW and as many pianos as you can before you make that final decision. It could still be the Miller. The piano I bought was one of the ones I tried on the first day of shopping...

#1660703 - 04/15/11 02:05 PM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: madcp]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Quote:
Aside from the price question about whether these piano's are worth the money, has anyone played much on the Henry Miller or have anything more to say regarding them? Not much about them here so far on the site.

Do you like the piano?
If your answer is yes then; it is worth the money.

Why even bother with a 40 years old U1 Yamaha that costs about 65% of the price of a new one?
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1661462 - 04/16/11 07:28 PM Re: Yamaha U1, Charles Walters 1500 or new Henry F Miller HMV047 [Re: madcp]
mahermusic Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I'd make that road trip to check out the Charles Walter....
Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (ando, Alux, anotherscott, Alex Hernandez, 20 invisible), 1103 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251191 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
31 minutes 40 seconds ago
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission