Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1662661 - 04/19/11 12:54 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I haven't made up my mind yet which piece to do. It seems that most want to hear the Metallica piece and I really enjoy playing it. The only thing is that it is the other piece by Fernando Ortega that gives me goosebumps every single time I play it. The Metallica piece does not do this to me even though I love playing it because it it just a really cool piece.

BTW, the Fernando Ortega piece I am referring to is called "I Remember Well" If you want to hear his incredible performance of it you can hear it on www.grooveshark. It is on page 2 of his listings.

So I guess the real question is do I play a cool piece that others like as well or do I play a piece that really, REALLY moves me?

They are both almost ready to go. I am working very hard on adding as much emotion as I possibly can to both as well as making yet another futile attempt at getting the acoustics and recording levels correct.

I'm serious when I say learning a piece is the easiest part. It is getting the acoustics/recording levels accurate that is so difficult.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1662699 - 04/19/11 02:36 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
I haven't made up my mind yet which piece to do. It seems that most want to hear the Metallica piece and I really enjoy playing it. The only thing is that it is the other piece by Fernando Ortega that gives me goosebumps every single time I play it. The Metallica piece does not do this to me even though I love playing it because it it just a really cool piece.

BTW, the Fernando Ortega piece I am referring to is called "I Remember Well" If you want to hear his incredible performance of it you can hear it on www.grooveshark. It is on page 2 of his listings.

So I guess the real question is do I play a cool piece that others like as well or do I play a piece that really, REALLY moves me?

They are both almost ready to go. I am working very hard on adding as much emotion as I possibly can to both as well as making yet another futile attempt at getting the acoustics and recording levels correct.

I'm serious when I say learning a piece is the easiest part. It is getting the acoustics/recording levels accurate that is so difficult.

I say do the piece that really moves you (besides , you still "owe me" for the tear jerker, remember?...I'll settle for goosebumps smile )

You can then do the other piece in the May piano bar!!!

ta da! Solution!

#1662751 - 04/19/11 06:44 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA

Why not merge them together into a medley - all you really need then is to create a short, smooth transition from one to the other...or would this be too much time/capacity for the system to handle and/or too much push against the red-dot envelope?

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1662807 - 04/19/11 09:08 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I say do the piece that really moves you (besides , you still "owe me" for the tear jerker, remember?...I'll settle for goosebumps smile )

You can then do the other piece in the May piano bar!!!

ta da! Solution!

+1

#1662833 - 04/19/11 10:05 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
YIKES!!!! Time is speeding up and it's all because of this forum!!!! Didn't we just do a recital? smile

It just seems no matter how much I think ahead for the next recital I never really feel ready. Or maybe I'm just becoming more and more self critical the more ricitals I participate in? Hmmm... What I will be playing is a another original that might just be nothing but a Hannonesque finger excercise but I am hoping will be judged as more musical than that.

May the Red Light Blues begin....

Edited by Peyton (04/19/11 04:58 PM)

#1662841 - 04/19/11 10:21 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I just listened to "I remember well" on Rhapsody, super-hunky, and it is beautifully poignant. My vote goes to it.

Peyton, I think you're on to something with that idea of becoming more critical with increasing numbers of recitals. I used to dash off stuff with major bloopers and not worry about it. Now I worry and don't dash. It's probably not a healthy trend!

#1662928 - 04/19/11 12:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]

Peyton I can't get to your Red Dot Blues... I click and it asks me to log on to Boxnet, but when I do it just takes me to my own page? What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Super Hunky - looks like "I Remember Well" is in the lead smile

#1662954 - 04/19/11 01:31 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I went over to the School of Music for my lunchtime piano practice. Set up my recorder and played my piece a few times. On the best take I left out a measure! I've never done that before, honest! At least I never realized it if I did...

Sam

#1662958 - 04/19/11 01:34 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Sam S]

Originally Posted By: Sam S
I went over to the School of Music for my lunchtime piano practice. Set up my recorder and played my piece a few times. On the best take I left out a measure! I've never done that before, honest! At least I never realized it if I did...

Sam

ooops!

#1662985 - 04/19/11 02:14 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I was gonna participate in the recital, but I might withdraw lol, suppose I should spend my time practicing my scales and then maybe play in the next one, I will still finish the song I was gonna play and post it on this forum, i just dont think i'm good enough yet, on the up side though, I have got to grips with the scales ok, its like, I was blind but now I see smile

#1663062 - 04/19/11 04:59 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Peyton I can't get to your Red Dot Blues... I click and it asks me to log on to Boxnet, but when I do it just takes me to my own page? What am I doing wrong?

Casinitaly, my bad... I must have gotten the link to my account instead of the song. Here is the correct link... http://www.box.net/shared/l4zgen6tpb

#1663145 - 04/19/11 06:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Wayne32yrs: Please remember that our recitals are not about how good you are but rather how much we see improvemnet in your playing over time.

If you don't provide us with a begining benchmark we will have nothing to compare against. Your in, no excuses!

Casinitaly: I didn't forget about the *tear jerker* IOU. I've been waiting to put a few romantic pieces together but got a little sidetracked after I heard the Fernando Ortega piece as it stole my attention away from everything else.

I've got the perfect piece in mind but it will be just a bit as we are moving in a week and then the piano needs a tuning.

You can charge me interest if you like as I'll gladly pay it with two songs.

#1663206 - 04/19/11 08:21 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wayne32 - listen to mr super-hunky. We want to hear your piece - recitals are *way* too much fun, and you're certainly good enough. This is the beginners forum, you know.

Cathy

#1663268 - 04/19/11 10:34 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
beechcraft409 Offline

Dang it looks like my Metallica vote is losing steam haha oh well I'm sure I'll hear it eventually. Never done a recital myself, each member can only do one piece?

#1663290 - 04/19/11 11:12 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Yup, one piece per recital, beechcraft409. But the piano bar is unlimited! smile

Cathy

#1663406 - 04/20/11 03:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]

Actually you can submit two pieces if they are short and logically connected.

I clearly remember John Frank submitted two a little while back. - complete with excellent side bar information!

#1663452 - 04/20/11 07:23 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Actually you can submit two pieces if they are short and logically connected.

I clearly remember John Frank submitted two a little while back. - complete with excellent side bar information!

That was two relatively short waltzes in the last Recital - others have done this also - it's commonly called a medley, and ideally there should be some kind of musical transition from one piece to the next - no matter how brief or basic, such that your playing is pretty much continuous - and you'll probably have to compose or improvise this yourself.

Side bar info - excellent or otherwise - is optional smile

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1663476 - 04/20/11 08:30 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
cgyan Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Peyton
YIKES!!!! ...

May the Red Light Blues begin....

Just genius, Peyton, so many truths ... laugh

#1663520 - 04/20/11 10:33 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]

Originally Posted By: Peyton

Casinitaly, my bad... I must have gotten the link to my account instead of the song. Here is the correct link... http://www.box.net/shared/l4zgen6tpb

Got it now!

Love it - that's great fun! Thanks!

#1664192 - 04/21/11 01:56 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
geez again! LOL where does the time go? smile
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1664405 - 04/21/11 07:23 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Got it now!

Love it - that's great fun! Thanks!

Thanks!~ You too Cygan.

#1664911 - 04/22/11 02:37 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Mr. Super-Hunky I've always loved listening to Fernando Ortega. I Remember Well is a very pretty piece, and I would love to hear you play it:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#1664990 - 04/22/11 04:57 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Augustina. It is a really beautiful piano piece. I'm going to record it in a carpeted smaller room and then again in a large open room with wood floors. I'm eager to hear the outcome between the two.

sidenote: I think I'm at least equall in the pre hype dept with strings & Wood by now and I know I'm not the only shameless poster.

Start pre-pimpin' your piece! lol. Sometimes the buildup and knowing what is happening and going into your piece makes it that much more enjoyable to finally hear.

#1665092 - 04/22/11 07:37 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well, my piece was written by a communist in 1932 in one long night of work so that it could be performed the next day...

He would have been out of luck if I had been the first performer. It's taken me much longer than one day to learn it!

Sam

#1665106 - 04/22/11 08:18 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Quote:
sidenote: I think I'm at least equall in the pre hype dept with strings & Wood by now and I know I'm not the only shameless poster.

Ackkk! Is that dust I see ahead?

#1665271 - 04/23/11 06:48 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
So soon?? I've been working on one but need to move the tempo or it will drag on too long. There are two measures that just are killing me...out of five I get them right twice. Better get to playin

Love to learn

#1666831 - 04/26/11 11:32 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Less than a week to go until the recital opens.... eek

I give my final exams on May 4 & 6, so I won't be able to put in a lot of time with Red Dot until a few days after that. It's going to be close. Yikes.

#1666859 - 04/26/11 12:12 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've worked mine to death... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

I finally just took one of the recordings as the best I'm going to do and went with it.

#1666876 - 04/26/11 12:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]

Well, aside from the fact that I'm not quite ready, I am also waiting for my piano to be tuned smile

#1666974 - 04/26/11 03:22 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I recorded yesterday and am ready to upload! Since this is my first time, I decided to heed Monica's advice and record early enough to work out any possible difficulties.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (acortot, anotherscott, BarryDMD, BearLake, barbaram, 23 invisible), 961 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307731 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission