Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, ajames, A Guy, anotherscott, Almaviva, 33 invisible), 1654 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1666976 - 04/26/11 03:24 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I have to start thinking about what I'll play for you guys... I still haven't decided.

Recitals:

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1666979 - 04/26/11 03:28 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Teodor]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

#1667012 - 04/26/11 04:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Strings & Wood]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

Curiouser and curiouser....

#1667040 - 04/26/11 05:23 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
YOU'RE KILLING US!

Recitals:

#1667065 - 04/26/11 05:53 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Peyton
... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1667087 - 04/26/11 06:22 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Teodor]
beechcraft409 Offline

I want to be in the recital, looks like too much fun; but, I haven't completed any pieces. frown Guess I'll post what I have in the piano bar in May. Next recital (August, right?) I will have a complete piece to share, hopefully. And by then I can perform it on an actual piano, moving back to Texas in 2 weeks.

#1667128 - 04/26/11 08:06 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Strings & Wood]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood

You're a player S&W, I knew it you macho man.

#1667297 - 04/27/11 05:52 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

#1667304 - 04/27/11 06:48 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: KeemaNan]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: KeemaNan
I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

You have piqued my curiosity! I look forward to hearing this. My piece is by a fairly well known composer, but I'm still keeping mum til it is uploaded!

#1667309 - 04/27/11 07:08 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: John Frank
Originally Posted By: Peyton
... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

Well now I feel better... smile

I remember reading that about Schubert. That must have been frustrating for him. Then again, his definition of "can't play" and mine might be a little different.....

Edited by Peyton (04/27/11 07:08 AM)

#1667338 - 04/27/11 08:17 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
I guess this is quite common for classical composers - especially as new music these days tends to be on the virtuosic end of the spectrum. Also, a lot of composers write a lot of their music for instruments they can't even play !

It's an interesting situation though. Maybe you should write yourself an 'ossia' for the tricky bit !

#1667351 - 04/27/11 08:51 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: KeemaNan]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: KeemaNan

My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

#1667354 - 04/27/11 08:56 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Sam S
My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

Kawai K3

#1667385 - 04/27/11 10:32 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
YourGuide Offline

Loc: Banned
Interesting thread... smile

#1667397 - 04/27/11 10:50 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Sam S

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

It's easier to count the black keys - there are fewer of them. And they are easier to play on, since they are sticking up with space in between. Surely that's why composers write in such odd keys.

Sam

#1667405 - 04/27/11 11:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I finally got a fairly decent recording of my piece yesterday and let me tell you that when it comes to recording, digitals have an EXTREME advantage. No mic placement or acoustics to deal with.

Is that really such a big deal?.....YES!

As I've said in an earlier post, I can perform my piece pretty good. That's not the problem.

The challenge is how incredibly different just subtle mic placement changes make as well as room acoustics.

Just having the lid partly open, halfway open and fully open make a huge difference in sound. Then there is the mic placement. On the music shelf, on a chair 3 feet away, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, left side, right side. It all makes a BIG difference.

Then there is the compatibility of the instrument and the room it is in. Big piano in a small room just doesn't work out. Small piano in a big room is better.

I've taken many-O-jabs at digitals over the years but I must say when it comes to recording ease they just can't be beat.

I love my mighty Mason acoustic but getting the recording acoustics/mic placement worked out seems to be a never ending challenge. Oh, here's another thing. Once you think you finally have everything worked out and have everything positioned and placed right.......it will change when you play a different type of tune and then you can start all over again!!

It may be easier to just pull your hair out from the start whilst sounding off every possible swear word you can think of just to get it over with. I'm just sayin'.

I am happy to report that I finally have a good recording with NO CLIPPING (for once) and it only took me 6 hours to come up with it.

[p.s, my hair should grow back as I didn't rip the roots out!]

#1667409 - 04/27/11 11:17 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
roflmao mr s-h... omg I know where you've been and I just gave up in my small room. But now that I'm working part time at a Piano store and have access to all the digitals... I just might have to jump back in.

now you know the advantage of really short hair.

btw,
mr s-h, I think I have a lead on your New Boat
PTG Associate

#1667418 - 04/27/11 11:34 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Haha. Been there and done that Les. I used to own a Warlock catamaran boat in the 90's. It burned nearly 40 galls of fuel per hour x full day of boating = going broke!

Spending stupid money on gas was just a total waste from many different angles and I was happy to sell it.

Now of course I ride a motorized surfboard (Craigcat) which only burns one gallon of fuel per hour at full throttle and the *pucker factor* can't be beat. I even tow it with a little VW Jetta since the boat only weighs around 300 lbs.

Here is a pic taken last year on the nearby colorado river (Topock gorge) between Laughlin NV and Lake Havasu AZ.

#1667453 - 04/27/11 12:33 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
ahhhh it's already that time. I thought it's in May. Well, it's almost in May, geesh.. I haven't memorized my piece yet and you folks had to put up with my harsh page turning sound in addition to full of mistakes sprinkled throughout the piece. well, may be it's still premature to play.. hope those ice cream trucks won't come when i'm recording.. don't you think something always happens when you thought you have made a decent recording?
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#1667500 - 04/27/11 02:20 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Until last night, I didn't think I would be able to play my piece. Now I have hope--I might be able to play it at 106 without catastrophe (120 is the goal). I don't think I'll have time to bring the interlude up to speed, but at least I should have the rowdy, punk-rock part (as much as the 1840's can be punk rock--maybe a romantic version of Bad Brains meets Bad Religion?). This piece has been WAY, WAY harder than I expected. (he thinks to himself, 'maybe those difficulty ratings mean something after all')

After this, I am definitely going to pick on pieces that are my own size!

#1667882 - 04/28/11 07:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Love the confidence (aka pre recital hype) some of you demonstrate! My piece is Berceuse...BUT which Berceuse you ask. Wait for more clues to this lovely lullaby. I'll tape it this weekend perhaps.

Love to learn

#1667898 - 04/28/11 08:26 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
I am happy to report that I finally have a good recording with NO CLIPPING (for once) and it only took me 6 hours to come up with it.

[p.s, my hair should grow back as I didn't rip the roots out!]

laugh

Quote:
The challenge is how incredibly different just subtle mic placement changes make as well as room acoustics.

Just having the lid partly open, halfway open and fully open make a huge difference in sound. Then there is the mic placement. On the music shelf, on a chair 3 feet away, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, left side, right side. It all makes a BIG difference.

This time I went with the lid fully open and mic about ten feet away and six feet up. Mic gain was set to high. It does give you a different sound.

#1668355 - 04/29/11 02:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Ken. Offline

I recorded my piece about a month ago, and am currently working on my next piece. This is what I do now, saves the last minute hassle.

To overcome the red dot syndrome, when I think my piece is ready, I turn on the recorder and play the piece 3-4 times. If it's not up to scratch then I come back a week later and try it again, and keep on doing this, usually for 3-4 weeks. By then I usually have one take that is good enough smile

#1668378 - 04/29/11 04:19 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
unlike me then lol, I avnt recorded anything yet, not even sure what Im gonna play smile

#1668404 - 04/29/11 07:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: hawgdriver]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
Until last night, I didn't think I would be able to play my piece. Now I have hope--I might be able to play it at 106 without catastrophe (120 is the goal). I don't think I'll have time to bring the interlude up to speed, but at least I should have the rowdy, punk-rock part (as much as the 1840's can be punk rock--maybe a romantic version of Bad Brains meets Bad Religion?). This piece has been WAY, WAY harder than I expected. (he thinks to himself, 'maybe those difficulty ratings mean something after all')

After this, I am definitely going to pick on pieces that are my own size!

I'm looking forward to hearing it Hawgdriver! I loved the Chopin piece you played last time.

#1668442 - 04/29/11 09:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Considering that I have last-minute failed to enter into the last two recitals, I'm not making any promises, but I'm going to try to record Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition. Otherwise I'll probably upload the Chopin Prelude (no. 15) I wanted to upload last time but failed to because I thought the deadline was a day later.

#1668470 - 04/29/11 10:37 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Well, I think I got a decent recording of my Chopin waltz for the recital a couple of days ago. I haven't yet had the chance to listen to it to hear how bad the flubs were. They seemed fairly minimal at the time, but my mind is usually in another place when recording and my memories are usually far from reality! crazy

#1668542 - 04/29/11 12:36 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: BenPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Well, I think I got a decent recording of my Chopin waltz for the recital a couple of days ago.

Ha! I've heard your "decent" recordings before in any number of threads and they've always been several cuts above decent - sort of like saying that Secretariat could move along the racetrack at a "timely clip" or an "acceptable pace" laugh

Looking forward to hearing the Chopin waltz.

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1668605 - 04/29/11 02:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
when is the deadline then for the recital? and where do I send the link and info of my vid to?

#1668630 - 04/29/11 03:35 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
^^^ moo!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 01:24 PM
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
12/18/14 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159957 Topics
2349109 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission