Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1661166 - 04/16/11 10:53 AM One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
John Frank reminded me in another thread that it's time for our usual hand-wringing and nervous jitters about the upcoming AB forum recital in May.

Newbies to the forum who want to find out more about the recitals, and listen to some of the old ones, check out the "Important Topics in AB forum" thread that's stickied at the top of the forum page.

I'll start off with plenty of hand-wringing and nervous jitters: I had every intention of nailing Einaudi's "Divenire" for this recital, but while I *thought* I'd be ready to record in February, it's almost freakin' May and I still don't have anything decent. cursing Worse yet, I don't have a backup. [wrings hands, jitters nervously]

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1661205 - 04/16/11 12:04 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Being the aforementioned John Frank - and not being nervous or jittery at all since it's already "wreck-orded" (thanks to Canonie for this develishly appropriate term) - let me state that my contemporary instrumental (or New Age) piece is a Spanish themed or flavored work by a Russian born composer played by a German-American on a Japanese digital from sheets published in England - a truley international collaboration.

JF

Edited by John Frank (04/16/11 12:05 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1661222 - 04/16/11 12:26 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I've chose mine lol, if i can pull it off, i dont know, better get practicing, :-)

#1661223 - 04/16/11 12:27 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ok practice break is over, time to hit the ivory. It will probably be a blues song with a little bit of improv.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1661260 - 04/16/11 01:29 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I intend to play all, or at least most of, the notes in Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag. I make no promises as to tempo, rhythm, style, artistry or anything else. The piece is well above my skill level and I've only been working on it a few months. Nevertheless, I've had a couple of almost passable renditions so far, and with nearly a month to go, I think I can sneak in something decent right before Monica slams the door on 5/14.

Edited by bluekeys (04/16/11 01:30 PM)

#1661269 - 04/16/11 01:53 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Okay, I'm ready to participate in my first recital 45 years (gulp!). I just need to check out some legal stuff on Monday with the publisher about performing it on YouTube.. Thanks to all of you who gave me some tips on handling this on another thread. I plan to play Rhapsody by Margaret Wigham.

#1661301 - 04/16/11 02:36 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Khachaturian Toccata, Khachaturian Toccata, Khachaturian Toccata.

Say that fast three times - it's easier than actually playing it!

Sam

#1661323 - 04/16/11 03:26 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I love the ABF pre-recital hype season and it comes around four times per year; yippie. I usually take the lead in this category of self promotion/pre recital hype but I have to admit Strings & Wood (Carl) is doing a much better job than I am this time around with his elusive mystery......something (to be unveiled May 15th). That said, I need to step it up a bit.

I currently have 2 pieces that are almost ready for submission which are both radically different. One of them is an incredibly beautiful piano melody which none of you has probably ever heard before. This is because the piece is actually a religious/worship melody written and performed by Fernando Ortega and is easily one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard. (On par with the Secret Garden piece I posted a couple months back). Remember how nice that piece was? This one equalls that. Really.

The other piece I have nearly ready is radically different. It is an original cover of Metallicas "Nothing Else Matters". That's right,...Metallica!

So your either going to get a beautiful piano ballad by a religious artist or a beautiful piano ballad by a anti religious artist;...sort of!

Of course there is no way I'm going to let the unchosen performance go to waste as I'll find a way to post it somewhere.

Anyone have any preference?

#1661391 - 04/16/11 05:03 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've never submitted anything to the recitals,and probably won't this time, but just reading that they are coming up makes me jittery. I have severe red-dot-itis to go along with my performance anxiety. It's sad, really.

#1661419 - 04/16/11 05:56 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Sam S]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Khachaturian Toccata, Khachaturian Toccata, Khachaturian Toccata.

Can't wait for that one !

#1661426 - 04/16/11 06:11 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i would participate but all i know how to do is bang out chords on my left hand since all i do is work through the alfred book :dead:

#1661432 - 04/16/11 06:26 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: findingnemo2010]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

you could pick a song, find chords,play chords with left hand and melody with right, u got 4 weeks to come up with summat, u got owt on YT?

#1661449 - 04/16/11 06:54 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
AlleyKatt Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I really want to brag that I have a piece ready to go, which I do! But I know this is only true because I wasn't ready with it by the deadline for the last recital or the recital before that. Oh well, I'm looking forward to submitting something this time and listening to everyone else!!

smile AK

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299

#1661485 - 04/16/11 08:27 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Todd Vance Offline

Loc: Bowie, MD
I've chosen Chopin, Op 69 #2, a melancholy-sounding waltz---the reason I chose that one, I had a year or so ago banged through several Chopin waltzes at random and for some reason, this one's tune really stuck in my mind. So, I searched my Chopin book, reading the first measures, to figure out which one had that haunting tune, and this is it.

I'm at my usual position of being able to play stretches of it just fine, then making a mistake that disrupts the count and forces a stop. Still, I recorded myself a few times (just sections, not the whole piece) just to check myself--it is amazing how I can get through a section flawlessly (by which I mean, flaws so small they don't disrupt everything), then hit the record button, and suddenly I can't get past the second measure.

#1661498 - 04/16/11 08:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
MrRubato Offline

Loc: United States
These recitals are a really cool and fun idea--such a great motivator! Just a little intimidating for a struggling neophyte but maybe by next November or February I'll give it a go.

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky

The other piece I have nearly ready is radically different. It is an original cover of Metallicas "Nothing Else Matters". That's right,...Metallica!

So your either going to get a beautiful piano ballad by a religious artist or a beautiful piano ballad by a anti religious artist;...sort of!

Of course there is no way I'm going to let the unchosen performance go to waste as I'll find a way to post it somewhere.

Nothing against religion, but please, please, pretty please play "Nothing Else Matters" for us!

#1661503 - 04/16/11 08:57 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: MrRubato]
CMohr Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yikes! Hopefully, I have a tune almost ready. I still need to tweak a few things. Hey, I've got a month, right? The only problem is that as soon as I even start thinking about recording, I get the jitters.... eek

#1661635 - 04/17/11 02:22 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I hope to have a new piece ready. I'm still on restricted playing so my piece will be simple. If I don't feel ready I will submit a new and imroved version of an earlier submission.

Hey this will make one full year of participating in recitals for me smile How exciting....and yet, jittery-making!

Mr. Super-Hunky, I vote for the Ortega piece!

#1661716 - 04/17/11 09:56 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Quote:

This would definitely be the "yang" to the Ortega music. While I am always up for a gospel, the lure of the "Nothing Else Matters" is captivating.

#1661717 - 04/17/11 10:01 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: bluekeys]
Strings & Wood Offline

Quote:
I intend to play all, or at least most of, the notes in Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag. I make no promises as to tempo, rhythm, style, artistry or anything else.

laugh

#1661767 - 04/17/11 12:28 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
It looked much easier than it is when I jumped in. Too late to back out now.

#1661807 - 04/17/11 01:55 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

BTW, for all you first timers, performing in the ABF quarterly recitals will definitely be one of the most frustrating-eventually turned rewarding experiences you will have during your piano journey.

The best tip is to be in the right state of mind at the piano at the right time. For me, this means I must be VERY relaxed and play when there are no distractions (late at night).

In addition, be sure you have cleared your recorders memory to allow for numerous takes before it runs out of time. Many of us simply turn the recorder on and play through the recital piece several times hoping that one of the takes will suffice.

#1661819 - 04/17/11 02:17 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ha ha tell me about it, i had one of those days today, wanted to upload something to my youtube channel, as I havent uploaded anything for a while, christina aguilara - hurt, what a mess!

#1661856 - 04/17/11 04:01 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have two pieces in mind. One probably won't be ready in time - hint, it's already been mentioned in this thread and it's in my signature.

The second is the second movement of a Sonatina by a classical composer. But not the same classical composer I played in the last recital.

Hmm ...

Kawai K3

#1661905 - 04/17/11 05:19 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

BTW, for all you first timers, performing in the ABF quarterly recitals will definitely be one of the most frustrating-eventually turned rewarding experiences you will have during your piano journey.

The best tip is to be in the right state of mind at the piano at the right time. For me, this means I must be VERY relaxed and play when there are no distractions (late at night).

In addition, be sure you have cleared your recorders memory to allow for numerous takes before it runs out of time. Many of us simply turn the recorder on and play through the recital piece several times hoping that one of the takes will suffice.

I'm only giving myself best out of 3. I remember spending HOURS on one of the recital trying to get a great recording and then I just said "hey, at a real recital everyone would have left 2 hours ago!"

I find that too many takes just makes me more tense - I don't want to go through that again.

#1662071 - 04/18/11 01:04 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
*sigh*

I feel I'm becoming regular and old enough around here to now understand the "pull-one's-hair-out" frantic postings in the pre-recital threads.

Seriously, wasn't it just last week that I submitted last recital's piece? And now 3 months later, I feel like I've accomplished very little on my piano journey.

I was under the assumption that piano was supposed to get easier as one progressed along. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The more I learn, the more I realize the things I have yet to learn.

I've got one or two I think I'll attempt for this recital, but past attempts have been futile.

*sigh*

#1662152 - 04/18/11 05:50 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: BenPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
*sigh*

I was under the assumption that piano was supposed to get easier as one progressed along. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The more I learn, the more I realize the things I have yet to learn.

*sigh*

Ah yes - the voice of hard-won and undeniable wisdom...

The problem (if it is one) of course is that the difficulty level of the pieces one attempts progresses right along with one's progrssion in technique...which is as it should be...if it got "easier" where would be the challenge? Where would be the pride and personal satisfaction? Where would be the joy in achievement?

JF

#1662163 - 04/18/11 06:34 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
beechcraft409 Offline

Quote:

I would love to hear the Metallica cover. Last summer I was playing a cover of The Unforgiven. It sounds really powerful when played on a grand. Metallica is hands down my favorite band of all time, I've been listening to them since I was 9. Was able to see them at the Pepsi center in Denver in 08 (they stopped serving beer after the opening band mad lol) . Wish I could have been alive and old enough to see them in the 80s. There's a Dutch girl on youtube who covers a lot of Metallica, and a bunch of other metal actually, she makes it sound really good. On YT, search vkgoeswild to find her

#1662191 - 04/18/11 08:18 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I wanted to send the "Einaudi - Tu Sei" for the recital but despite being studying it since Christmas, I think I'm still not able to make a decent recording - btw: my children don't share that... - So either I do not participate in this recital, or I'll see what I have in backup.

Edited by CarlosCC (04/18/11 08:19 AM)

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1662598 - 04/18/11 11:09 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
[...]

How about a medley? cool

#1662604 - 04/18/11 11:15 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'm strangely calm about this recital. Maybe because I've had this piece pretty much finished for a few weeks and am just doing fun things with it now, like playing with the interpretation and doing some visualization. It also helps that it's technically a bit easier than some of the other pieces that I'm working on, so I don't feel intimidated by it. Looking forward to recording in the next few weeks!

#1662661 - 04/19/11 12:54 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I haven't made up my mind yet which piece to do. It seems that most want to hear the Metallica piece and I really enjoy playing it. The only thing is that it is the other piece by Fernando Ortega that gives me goosebumps every single time I play it. The Metallica piece does not do this to me even though I love playing it because it it just a really cool piece.

BTW, the Fernando Ortega piece I am referring to is called "I Remember Well" If you want to hear his incredible performance of it you can hear it on www.grooveshark. It is on page 2 of his listings.

So I guess the real question is do I play a cool piece that others like as well or do I play a piece that really, REALLY moves me?

They are both almost ready to go. I am working very hard on adding as much emotion as I possibly can to both as well as making yet another futile attempt at getting the acoustics and recording levels correct.

I'm serious when I say learning a piece is the easiest part. It is getting the acoustics/recording levels accurate that is so difficult.

#1662699 - 04/19/11 02:36 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

I haven't made up my mind yet which piece to do. It seems that most want to hear the Metallica piece and I really enjoy playing it. The only thing is that it is the other piece by Fernando Ortega that gives me goosebumps every single time I play it. The Metallica piece does not do this to me even though I love playing it because it it just a really cool piece.

BTW, the Fernando Ortega piece I am referring to is called "I Remember Well" If you want to hear his incredible performance of it you can hear it on www.grooveshark. It is on page 2 of his listings.

So I guess the real question is do I play a cool piece that others like as well or do I play a piece that really, REALLY moves me?

They are both almost ready to go. I am working very hard on adding as much emotion as I possibly can to both as well as making yet another futile attempt at getting the acoustics and recording levels correct.

I'm serious when I say learning a piece is the easiest part. It is getting the acoustics/recording levels accurate that is so difficult.

I say do the piece that really moves you (besides , you still "owe me" for the tear jerker, remember?...I'll settle for goosebumps smile )

You can then do the other piece in the May piano bar!!!

ta da! Solution!

#1662751 - 04/19/11 06:44 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Why not merge them together into a medley - all you really need then is to create a short, smooth transition from one to the other...or would this be too much time/capacity for the system to handle and/or too much push against the red-dot envelope?

JF

#1662807 - 04/19/11 09:08 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Strings & Wood Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I say do the piece that really moves you (besides , you still "owe me" for the tear jerker, remember?...I'll settle for goosebumps smile )

You can then do the other piece in the May piano bar!!!

ta da! Solution!

+1

#1662833 - 04/19/11 10:05 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
YIKES!!!! Time is speeding up and it's all because of this forum!!!! Didn't we just do a recital? smile

It just seems no matter how much I think ahead for the next recital I never really feel ready. Or maybe I'm just becoming more and more self critical the more ricitals I participate in? Hmmm... What I will be playing is a another original that might just be nothing but a Hannonesque finger excercise but I am hoping will be judged as more musical than that.

May the Red Light Blues begin....

Edited by Peyton (04/19/11 04:58 PM)

#1662841 - 04/19/11 10:21 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

I just listened to "I remember well" on Rhapsody, super-hunky, and it is beautifully poignant. My vote goes to it.

Peyton, I think you're on to something with that idea of becoming more critical with increasing numbers of recitals. I used to dash off stuff with major bloopers and not worry about it. Now I worry and don't dash. It's probably not a healthy trend!

#1662928 - 04/19/11 12:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Peyton I can't get to your Red Dot Blues... I click and it asks me to log on to Boxnet, but when I do it just takes me to my own page? What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Super Hunky - looks like "I Remember Well" is in the lead smile

#1662954 - 04/19/11 01:31 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I went over to the School of Music for my lunchtime piano practice. Set up my recorder and played my piece a few times. On the best take I left out a measure! I've never done that before, honest! At least I never realized it if I did...

Sam

#1662958 - 04/19/11 01:34 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

I went over to the School of Music for my lunchtime piano practice. Set up my recorder and played my piece a few times. On the best take I left out a measure! I've never done that before, honest! At least I never realized it if I did...

Sam

ooops!

#1662985 - 04/19/11 02:14 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was gonna participate in the recital, but I might withdraw lol, suppose I should spend my time practicing my scales and then maybe play in the next one, I will still finish the song I was gonna play and post it on this forum, i just dont think i'm good enough yet, on the up side though, I have got to grips with the scales ok, its like, I was blind but now I see smile

#1663062 - 04/19/11 04:59 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Peyton I can't get to your Red Dot Blues... I click and it asks me to log on to Boxnet, but when I do it just takes me to my own page? What am I doing wrong?

Casinitaly, my bad... I must have gotten the link to my account instead of the song. Here is the correct link... http://www.box.net/shared/l4zgen6tpb

#1663145 - 04/19/11 06:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Wayne32yrs: Please remember that our recitals are not about how good you are but rather how much we see improvemnet in your playing over time.

If you don't provide us with a begining benchmark we will have nothing to compare against. Your in, no excuses!

Casinitaly: I didn't forget about the *tear jerker* IOU. I've been waiting to put a few romantic pieces together but got a little sidetracked after I heard the Fernando Ortega piece as it stole my attention away from everything else.

I've got the perfect piece in mind but it will be just a bit as we are moving in a week and then the piano needs a tuning.

You can charge me interest if you like as I'll gladly pay it with two songs.

#1663206 - 04/19/11 08:21 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wayne32 - listen to mr super-hunky. We want to hear your piece - recitals are *way* too much fun, and you're certainly good enough. This is the beginners forum, you know.

Cathy

#1663268 - 04/19/11 10:34 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
beechcraft409 Offline

Dang it looks like my Metallica vote is losing steam haha oh well I'm sure I'll hear it eventually. Never done a recital myself, each member can only do one piece?

#1663290 - 04/19/11 11:12 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Yup, one piece per recital, beechcraft409. But the piano bar is unlimited! smile

Cathy

#1663406 - 04/20/11 03:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Actually you can submit two pieces if they are short and logically connected.

I clearly remember John Frank submitted two a little while back. - complete with excellent side bar information!

#1663452 - 04/20/11 07:23 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Actually you can submit two pieces if they are short and logically connected.

I clearly remember John Frank submitted two a little while back. - complete with excellent side bar information!

That was two relatively short waltzes in the last Recital - others have done this also - it's commonly called a medley, and ideally there should be some kind of musical transition from one piece to the next - no matter how brief or basic, such that your playing is pretty much continuous - and you'll probably have to compose or improvise this yourself.

Side bar info - excellent or otherwise - is optional smile

JF

#1663476 - 04/20/11 08:30 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
cgyan Offline

Originally Posted By: Peyton
YIKES!!!! ...

May the Red Light Blues begin....

Just genius, Peyton, so many truths ... laugh

#1663520 - 04/20/11 10:33 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
casinitaly Offline

Casinitaly, my bad... I must have gotten the link to my account instead of the song. Here is the correct link... http://www.box.net/shared/l4zgen6tpb

Got it now!

Love it - that's great fun! Thanks!

#1664192 - 04/21/11 01:56 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
geez again! LOL where does the time go? smile
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1664405 - 04/21/11 07:23 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Got it now!

Love it - that's great fun! Thanks!

Thanks!~ You too Cygan.

#1664911 - 04/22/11 02:37 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Mr. Super-Hunky I've always loved listening to Fernando Ortega. I Remember Well is a very pretty piece, and I would love to hear you play it:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#1664990 - 04/22/11 04:57 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Augustina. It is a really beautiful piano piece. I'm going to record it in a carpeted smaller room and then again in a large open room with wood floors. I'm eager to hear the outcome between the two.

sidenote: I think I'm at least equall in the pre hype dept with strings & Wood by now and I know I'm not the only shameless poster.

Start pre-pimpin' your piece! lol. Sometimes the buildup and knowing what is happening and going into your piece makes it that much more enjoyable to finally hear.

#1665092 - 04/22/11 07:37 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, my piece was written by a communist in 1932 in one long night of work so that it could be performed the next day...

He would have been out of luck if I had been the first performer. It's taken me much longer than one day to learn it!

Sam

#1665106 - 04/22/11 08:18 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Quote:
sidenote: I think I'm at least equall in the pre hype dept with strings & Wood by now and I know I'm not the only shameless poster.

Ackkk! Is that dust I see ahead?

#1665271 - 04/23/11 06:48 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
So soon?? I've been working on one but need to move the tempo or it will drag on too long. There are two measures that just are killing me...out of five I get them right twice. Better get to playin

Love to learn

#1666831 - 04/26/11 11:32 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Less than a week to go until the recital opens.... eek

I give my final exams on May 4 & 6, so I won't be able to put in a lot of time with Red Dot until a few days after that. It's going to be close. Yikes.

#1666859 - 04/26/11 12:12 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've worked mine to death... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

I finally just took one of the recordings as the best I'm going to do and went with it.

#1666876 - 04/26/11 12:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Well, aside from the fact that I'm not quite ready, I am also waiting for my piano to be tuned smile

#1666974 - 04/26/11 03:22 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
griffin2417 Offline

I recorded yesterday and am ready to upload! Since this is my first time, I decided to heed Monica's advice and record early enough to work out any possible difficulties.

#1666976 - 04/26/11 03:24 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I have to start thinking about what I'll play for you guys... I still haven't decided.

Recitals:

#1666979 - 04/26/11 03:28 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Teodor]
Strings & Wood Offline

I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

#1667012 - 04/26/11 04:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Strings & Wood]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
I have a date to the party! After much coaxing today, she finally said yes. smile

Curiouser and curiouser....

#1667040 - 04/26/11 05:23 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
YOU'RE KILLING US!

Recitals:

#1667065 - 04/26/11 05:53 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

#1667087 - 04/26/11 06:22 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Teodor]
beechcraft409 Offline

I want to be in the recital, looks like too much fun; but, I haven't completed any pieces. frown Guess I'll post what I have in the piano bar in May. Next recital (August, right?) I will have a complete piece to share, hopefully. And by then I can perform it on an actual piano, moving back to Texas in 2 weeks.

#1667128 - 04/26/11 08:06 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Strings & Wood]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood

You're a player S&W, I knew it you macho man.

#1667297 - 04/27/11 05:52 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
KeemaNan Offline

I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

#1667304 - 04/27/11 06:48 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: KeemaNan]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: KeemaNan
I found a nice little one-page piece by Darius Milhaud. I looked on the excellent new ABF recital index, and saw that Milhaud has yet to feature - I was aiming to find a new (and not too obscure) composer for the list. I wonder how many others will do the same ? I found the piece the weekend before last and recorded it last night so I am keeping it simple this time. It's short and sweet, but I think it's a nice piece and one that not many people will have come across.

You have piqued my curiosity! I look forward to hearing this. My piece is by a fairly well known composer, but I'm still keeping mum til it is uploaded!

#1667309 - 04/27/11 07:08 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Frank
... I'm having to accept the fact that I have writtin something I can't play...

You're just too creative for your own good - some problem to have laugh But you're in good company - Schubert had the same problem once or twice.

JF

Well now I feel better... smile

I remember reading that about Schubert. That must have been frustrating for him. Then again, his definition of "can't play" and mine might be a little different.....

Edited by Peyton (04/27/11 07:08 AM)

#1667338 - 04/27/11 08:17 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Peyton]
KeemaNan Offline

I guess this is quite common for classical composers - especially as new music these days tends to be on the virtuosic end of the spectrum. Also, a lot of composers write a lot of their music for instruments they can't even play !

It's an interesting situation though. Maybe you should write yourself an 'ossia' for the tricky bit !

#1667351 - 04/27/11 08:51 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: KeemaNan]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KeemaNan

My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

#1667354 - 04/27/11 08:56 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My piece has also never appeared in an ABF recital. It's a premier! It's also in Eb minor. Add up the flats in that key signature - 6. Maybe that's why it has never appeared in an ABF recital.

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

Kawai K3

#1667385 - 04/27/11 10:32 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
YourGuide Offline

Loc: Banned
Interesting thread... smile

#1667397 - 04/27/11 10:50 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Sam

Perhaps you should count the white keys instead wink

It's easier to count the black keys - there are fewer of them. And they are easier to play on, since they are sticking up with space in between. Surely that's why composers write in such odd keys.

Sam

#1667405 - 04/27/11 11:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I finally got a fairly decent recording of my piece yesterday and let me tell you that when it comes to recording, digitals have an EXTREME advantage. No mic placement or acoustics to deal with.

Is that really such a big deal?.....YES!

As I've said in an earlier post, I can perform my piece pretty good. That's not the problem.

The challenge is how incredibly different just subtle mic placement changes make as well as room acoustics.

Just having the lid partly open, halfway open and fully open make a huge difference in sound. Then there is the mic placement. On the music shelf, on a chair 3 feet away, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, left side, right side. It all makes a BIG difference.

Then there is the compatibility of the instrument and the room it is in. Big piano in a small room just doesn't work out. Small piano in a big room is better.

I've taken many-O-jabs at digitals over the years but I must say when it comes to recording ease they just can't be beat.

I love my mighty Mason acoustic but getting the recording acoustics/mic placement worked out seems to be a never ending challenge. Oh, here's another thing. Once you think you finally have everything worked out and have everything positioned and placed right.......it will change when you play a different type of tune and then you can start all over again!!

It may be easier to just pull your hair out from the start whilst sounding off every possible swear word you can think of just to get it over with. I'm just sayin'.

I am happy to report that I finally have a good recording with NO CLIPPING (for once) and it only took me 6 hours to come up with it.

[p.s, my hair should grow back as I didn't rip the roots out!]

#1667409 - 04/27/11 11:17 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
roflmao mr s-h... omg I know where you've been and I just gave up in my small room. But now that I'm working part time at a Piano store and have access to all the digitals... I just might have to jump back in.

now you know the advantage of really short hair.

btw,
mr s-h, I think I have a lead on your New Boat
PTG Associate

#1667418 - 04/27/11 11:34 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Haha. Been there and done that Les. I used to own a Warlock catamaran boat in the 90's. It burned nearly 40 galls of fuel per hour x full day of boating = going broke!

Spending stupid money on gas was just a total waste from many different angles and I was happy to sell it.

Now of course I ride a motorized surfboard (Craigcat) which only burns one gallon of fuel per hour at full throttle and the *pucker factor* can't be beat. I even tow it with a little VW Jetta since the boat only weighs around 300 lbs.

Here is a pic taken last year on the nearby colorado river (Topock gorge) between Laughlin NV and Lake Havasu AZ.

#1667453 - 04/27/11 12:33 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
ahhhh it's already that time. I thought it's in May. Well, it's almost in May, geesh.. I haven't memorized my piece yet and you folks had to put up with my harsh page turning sound in addition to full of mistakes sprinkled throughout the piece. well, may be it's still premature to play.. hope those ice cream trucks won't come when i'm recording.. don't you think something always happens when you thought you have made a decent recording?
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1667500 - 04/27/11 02:20 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Until last night, I didn't think I would be able to play my piece. Now I have hope--I might be able to play it at 106 without catastrophe (120 is the goal). I don't think I'll have time to bring the interlude up to speed, but at least I should have the rowdy, punk-rock part (as much as the 1840's can be punk rock--maybe a romantic version of Bad Brains meets Bad Religion?). This piece has been WAY, WAY harder than I expected. (he thinks to himself, 'maybe those difficulty ratings mean something after all')

After this, I am definitely going to pick on pieces that are my own size!

#1667882 - 04/28/11 07:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Love the confidence (aka pre recital hype) some of you demonstrate! My piece is Berceuse...BUT which Berceuse you ask. Wait for more clues to this lovely lullaby. I'll tape it this weekend perhaps.

Love to learn

#1667898 - 04/28/11 08:26 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

I am happy to report that I finally have a good recording with NO CLIPPING (for once) and it only took me 6 hours to come up with it.

[p.s, my hair should grow back as I didn't rip the roots out!]

laugh

Quote:
The challenge is how incredibly different just subtle mic placement changes make as well as room acoustics.

Just having the lid partly open, halfway open and fully open make a huge difference in sound. Then there is the mic placement. On the music shelf, on a chair 3 feet away, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, left side, right side. It all makes a BIG difference.

This time I went with the lid fully open and mic about ten feet away and six feet up. Mic gain was set to high. It does give you a different sound.

#1668355 - 04/29/11 02:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Ken. Offline

I recorded my piece about a month ago, and am currently working on my next piece. This is what I do now, saves the last minute hassle.

To overcome the red dot syndrome, when I think my piece is ready, I turn on the recorder and play the piece 3-4 times. If it's not up to scratch then I come back a week later and try it again, and keep on doing this, usually for 3-4 weeks. By then I usually have one take that is good enough smile

#1668378 - 04/29/11 04:19 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

unlike me then lol, I avnt recorded anything yet, not even sure what Im gonna play smile

#1668404 - 04/29/11 07:10 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: hawgdriver]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
Until last night, I didn't think I would be able to play my piece. Now I have hope--I might be able to play it at 106 without catastrophe (120 is the goal). I don't think I'll have time to bring the interlude up to speed, but at least I should have the rowdy, punk-rock part (as much as the 1840's can be punk rock--maybe a romantic version of Bad Brains meets Bad Religion?). This piece has been WAY, WAY harder than I expected. (he thinks to himself, 'maybe those difficulty ratings mean something after all')

After this, I am definitely going to pick on pieces that are my own size!

I'm looking forward to hearing it Hawgdriver! I loved the Chopin piece you played last time.

#1668442 - 04/29/11 09:35 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Zindaras Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Considering that I have last-minute failed to enter into the last two recitals, I'm not making any promises, but I'm going to try to record Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition. Otherwise I'll probably upload the Chopin Prelude (no. 15) I wanted to upload last time but failed to because I thought the deadline was a day later.

#1668470 - 04/29/11 10:37 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I think I got a decent recording of my Chopin waltz for the recital a couple of days ago. I haven't yet had the chance to listen to it to hear how bad the flubs were. They seemed fairly minimal at the time, but my mind is usually in another place when recording and my memories are usually far from reality! crazy

#1668542 - 04/29/11 12:36 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: BenPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, I think I got a decent recording of my Chopin waltz for the recital a couple of days ago.

Ha! I've heard your "decent" recordings before in any number of threads and they've always been several cuts above decent - sort of like saying that Secretariat could move along the racetrack at a "timely clip" or an "acceptable pace" laugh

Looking forward to hearing the Chopin waltz.

JF

#1668605 - 04/29/11 02:50 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

when is the deadline then for the recital? and where do I send the link and info of my vid to?

#1668630 - 04/29/11 03:35 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

^^^ moo!

#1668669 - 04/29/11 04:51 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: wayne33yrs]
KeemaNan Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
when is the deadline then for the recital? and where do I send the link and info of my vid to?

You'll need an mp3 file to submit, which you upload to the ABF recital website (you can also put a link to a youtube video but you need an mp3). It opens on 1st May - a thread should appear then with all the details. Search on past recitals to get an idea of how it all works...

#1668699 - 04/29/11 05:48 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thnx, out of interest is singing permitted? not me lol, I cant sing to save my life!

#1668708 - 04/29/11 06:20 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: wayne33yrs]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne32yrs
thnx, out of interest is singing permitted? not me lol, I cant sing to save my life!

Yes, yes indeed. BillM, for one, usually sings - and does a super job!!!

I'd love to be able to sing and play (I can do both, just not at the same time, I don't have enough total coordination yet... I dream of it though)

#1668815 - 04/29/11 11:35 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John Frank
Ha! I've heard your "decent" recordings before in any number of threads and they've always been several cuts above decent - sort of like saying that Secretariat could move along the racetrack at a "timely clip" or an "acceptable pace" laugh

hehe, I really appreciate the comment - but instead of Secretariat, I think Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh bumbling through the forest is a little more on target! grin

I listened to my recording and (shocking!) it wasn't as good as I remembered playing it. (what a surprise) Missing notes, etc. (I played them, the keys just didn't make a noise like I told them to)

Sheesh, I swear my brain turns off while I record. (apparently it goes into panic mode! laugh )

Lucky for me I was able to record a better version today. The same amount of mistakes, just in more inconspicuous locations. laugh

I must have been in a groove because I recorded two others as well. A great recording day - I wish there were more of them like this. smokin

#1668905 - 04/30/11 07:18 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Thread [Re: BenPiano]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas

Sheesh, I swear my brain turns off while I record. (apparently it goes into panic mode! laugh )

Wish my brain would turn off sometimes. It sure can get me into a lot of trouble. grin

flickr

#1669180 - 04/30/11 07:34 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: TX-Dennis]
CMohr Offline

I got my recording done today. yippie This at least gives me a backup if I decide to re-record. Although nerve-wracking, it's getting a little easier to play in front of the recorder.

Carl, I'm even more flummoxed now after reading your posts...looking forward to you & your "date"! confused

#1669227 - 04/30/11 09:35 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: CMohr]
Strings & Wood Offline

Quote:
Carl, I'm even more flummoxed now after reading your posts...looking forward to you & your "date"! confused

flummoxed???....good one! wink

#1669243 - 04/30/11 10:12 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: CMohr]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: CMohr
I got my recording done today. yippie This at least gives me a backup if I decide to re-record. Although nerve-wracking, it's getting a little easier to play in front of the recorder.

I know there are more than a few of us named Carl. After going to my dictionary, I am flummoxed as to which Carl your were talking to.

#1669262 - 04/30/11 11:07 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: griffin2417]
CMohr Offline

Sorry, griffin! blush I was referring to Strings & Wood Carl. I'm used to calling him Carl from his previous screen name.

#1669265 - 04/30/11 11:13 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: CMohr]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: CMohr
Sorry, griffin! blush I was referring to Strings & Wood Carl. I'm used to calling him Carl from his previous screen name.

Thanks for the clarification. I also like being referred to as griffin. From now on I am going to change my signature to griffin at PWF. That's what family members called my dad. We were both named Carl. I find honor in assuming his nick name. He was a hero to me!

#1669270 - 04/30/11 11:29 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

The recital opens tomorrow! I'll probably post the thread sometime mid-morning, so those of you waiting around in the hopes that I'd open it up at midnight or thereabouts can pack it in. wink

I *still* haven't gotten a recording of my piece. eek

#1669273 - 04/30/11 11:46 PM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Tomorrow!! I think I'm going to do a tune I've known for a long time but have never memorized.

How's that for a decision? laugh

Cathy

#1669352 - 05/01/11 05:58 AM Re: One Month to the Eagerly Awaited Quarterly Recital Threa [Re: Monica K.]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm also changing my tune lol, Ive gone from daft punk, to duffy, to christina aguilara, to adele and finally landed on lady gaga x

Edited by wayne32yrs (05/01/11 05:59 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
27 minutes 6 seconds ago
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Who's Online
127 registered (anotherscott, ando, anamnesis, ajames, A Guy, accordeur, 23 invisible), 1525 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158411 Topics
2326333 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission