Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1660407 - 04/15/11 01:12 AM The Kayserburg has landed!!!
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Actually, it landed on Wednesday, but I did not have a chance to put it to the test until today........ I spent about 3 hours on it.....so far so good!!!

http://gallery.me.com/realtaylor#100060

I hope the link works!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1660419 - 04/15/11 02:16 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
chen Offline

Loc: yichang city china mainland
very good

#1660456 - 04/15/11 05:27 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Congratulations!

The surroundings of the piano look just as appealing - I especially like the beautiful floor.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1660522 - 04/15/11 08:40 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Gregor Offline

Loc: Münster, Germany
Please keep us updated. As far as I know Kayserburg pianos get their final check by Steingräber in Bayreuth, Germany. I would like to know how much work they put in it in Germany and what exactly is done there.

Gregor

#1660532 - 04/15/11 09:10 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
What a gorgeous house and piano.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1660546 - 04/15/11 09:52 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow! Looks good, especially with the nice flooring. smile

#1660557 - 04/15/11 10:13 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
mikeheel Offline

Loc: NC
Great; I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Congratulations!

#1660606 - 04/15/11 11:26 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Michael Taylor Offline

If I get bold enough, I'll post something! It sounds very good so far. I had initially planned to purchase a Yamaha U1. Then I found that I prefered the Kawai over the Yamaha. I chose this piano over the Kawai. I plan to keep this piano for several years. Some day I plan to buy a grand piano......if the boss approves it!

#1660638 - 04/15/11 12:14 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Get the boss to approve a 7ft or a 9ft grand. Looks like you have the space!

#1660701 - 04/15/11 02:03 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: gnuboi]
EmptySpace Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: gnuboi
Get the boss to approve a 7ft or a 9ft grand. Looks like you have the space!

+1

But what you have is beautiful (house and piano). I love that you opted for a piano over furniture!

#1660710 - 04/15/11 02:11 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Michael Taylor Offline

Who needs a bed?!? We have never put furniture in the living room.....seems to me that living rooms are obsolete. My man-cave is fully furnished!!! I considered getting a grand piano for the living room, but I couldn't get a quality instrument within my budget.....besides my skills are not good enough to warrant such a big investment. Hopefully, 3 or 4 years down the road, my skill level will justify a bigger investment.

Edited by Michael Taylor (04/17/11 08:16 PM)

#1660716 - 04/15/11 02:26 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Lovely piano - lovely home!

I understand what you mean about feeling your skills aren't good enough for a grand.... I had doubts that mine were good enough to move from a digital to an acoustic ! (I'm glad I convinced myself though smile )

Wishing you MANY happy years with your new piano!
(til you get the grand smile )

#1660772 - 04/15/11 03:52 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Congratulations Michael, and Thank You for your patronage. You have a beautiful home, and I know the Kayserburg is going to be happy in its new surroundings!

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: SteingraeberGrotrianSauterEstoniaKayserburgBaldwinBrodmannRitmller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1660778 - 04/15/11 03:56 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Nice piano, nice place!
You keep the protection on the pedals?

#1660783 - 04/15/11 03:59 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
No need for a grand here, with the echo from those floors and walls, the upright will sound like a 9 foot grand. Congratulations on a fine instrument.

#1660794 - 04/15/11 04:08 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Don't lean against this piano - it's Chinese!!
[meant in gist of course... grin]

Congrats to a fine choice!!

Norbert thumb

Edited by Norbert (04/23/11 12:35 AM)

#1660872 - 04/15/11 07:17 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Gregor]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Michael,

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Gregor
Please keep us updated. As far as I know Kayserburg pianos get their final check by Steingräber in Bayreuth, Germany. I would like to know how much work they put in it in Germany and what exactly is done ther

Gregor,

I recall when Wendl & Lung got started in Europe they marketed their pianos as being fine-tuned in Vienna before they were released for sale. Though it might have offered reassurance in Europe, it was obvious that the Wendls being sold in Asia at the same price as the equivalent Hailun models were not being shipped from China to Austria and back to Asia. Today I don't believe the Vinnese holdiay is part of the equation even in the European market.

I suspect that Kayserburg pianos sold in California would only be sent to Bayreuth for final regulation if the Pearl River factory (in business for more than 50 years) had no one on staff competent at regulating a piano of its own design and manufacture. That seems a bit unlikely. The same would hold true for selling in Asia where Kayserburg is sold in many countries in fairly competitive markets.

If Steinbraeber has factory staff drawing a paycheck and with time on their hands, it would seem like a good arrangement for Steingraeber and a good way for Guangzhou to offer reassurance to the European market by elevating the image of Kayserburg there. One assumes that Steingraeber would not associate itself with deficient pianos.

#1660897 - 04/15/11 08:15 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: wouter79]
Michael Taylor Offline

Wouter79: I haven't removed the protection from the pedals yet. I was thinking about that this morning during practice....I kept looking down at the pedals thinking "I need to remove those things!"

#1660999 - 04/16/11 12:27 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: turandot]
Lushey1 Offline

Loc: Melbourne-Australia

There are some piano brands on the market at the moment that state they are manufactured in China and finished(inspected/regulated/checked?)in Europe.It doesn't seem to make sense that they are made by a competent manufacturer and then shipped all the way to Germany for inspection,unless this is only for the European market to give some assurance to the European buyer.It sounds particularly odd for our market(Australia)given that we are in Asia.
Kawai RX6 Blak,Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD700NX,Korg Kronos

#1661068 - 04/16/11 04:30 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Lushey1]
Gregor Offline

Loc: Münster, Germany
Originally Posted By: Lushey1

It doesn't seem to make sense that they are made by a competent manufacturer and then shipped all the way to Germany for inspection,unless this is only for the European market to give some assurance to the European buyer.It sounds particularly odd for our market(Australia)given that we are in Asia.

Sounds strange, but that is exactly that what Schimmel does. Every May, Berlin piano that is sold anywhere in the world (even in Australia or China) has been in Braunschweig at the Schimmel factory for final checking. Or final stage of production or whatever.

Concerning Wendl & Lung: not every piano has been in Vienna, not even for the European market. But they all were checked in Europe by excellent European technicians. W&L has in every country their technicians to do that final work. That is the reason why they arrive in a very good condition at the dealer. BTW, Wendl & Lung has changed the brand name and the pianos are now sold as Feurich. But Feurich still has a complete German made product line, aside from the Hailun made pianos.

I don´t know how many work Schimmel puts in May pianos nor do I know what Steingräber makes with these Kayserburg pianos. But it must be several hours or more. Perhaps they put in the action? No idea.

In this video from minute 5:08 on they say something about that. It says that the Chinese pianos get the last tweak there in Bayreuth and that on the other hand Pearl River sells the Steingräber branded pianos in China and that they have a dealer network of more than 300 dealer, what is an excellent starting position for Steingräber to sell their pianos in China.

Gregor

#1661161 - 04/16/11 10:39 AM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
CarolNJ Offline

Beautiful piano and home! Enjoy both!!

#1661215 - 04/16/11 12:16 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Gregor]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Quote:
Concerning Wendl & Lung: not every piano has been in Vienna, not even for the European market. But they all were checked in Europe by excellent European technicians. W&L has in every country their technicians to do that final work. That is the reason why they arrive in a very good condition at the dealer.

There was a time all W&Ls passed through Vienna, at the beginning of their business in Europe some 8 years ago, and indeed they changed that to passing them trough various intermediate dealers accross Europe who are supposed to do final inspection/prep work.

However I do not think this was a change for the better. Some intermediates are better than others, some are even quite sloppy in the work they deliver and dealers in some countries do not always know beforehand from which intermediate they will get their pianos shipped.

Quote:
BTW, Wendl & Lung has changed the brand name and the pianos are now sold as Feurich. But Feurich still has a complete German made product line, aside from the Hailun made pianos.

It is time now that both W&L and Feurich update their websites. I know it has been communicated early April at the 'Frankfurt Musikmesse' and already much earlier to dealers, but still.

schwammerl.

#1661288 - 04/16/11 02:17 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Gregor]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gregor
Concerning Wendl & Lung: not every piano has been in Vienna, not even for the European market. But they all were checked in Europe by excellent European technicians. W&L has in every country their technicians to do that final work. That is the reason why they arrive in a very good condition at the dealer.

I forgot that I was responding to a W&L retailer.

Gregor,

I’m not trying to knock W&L, Steingraeber, Pearl River, or anyone else.. My point was that even back in the day when W&L was running their pianos through Vienna, the practice was limited to pianos being sold on the European market. I think the same holds true for Kayserburg – to Europe by way of Bayreuth for certain models makes sense; to the US and Asia by way of Bayreuth, no way.

The disappearance of Wendl & Lung as a ‘maker’s’ name was necessitated when Stefan Lung’s grandson, Peter Veleksky, packed up his toys and went home. Julius Feurich’s entry into the arrangement is amusing in light of his frequent denials of a Ningbo connection. All of this is marketing stuff that doesn’t directly affect piano quality, but it does show how fragile these stencil fallboard names can be.

IMO the European checkpoints for Chiense pianos, imaginary or real, are of little importance in the US market. We don’t have a bunch of small hand-builders jockeying for position in the Chinese market in exchange for certifying Chinese pianos for European arrival. We only have two piano makers in the US. Steinway built its bridge to China many years ago, and Charles Walter doesn’t do any marketing at all.

The point is that here in the US the prep of Chhinese pianos is left to the dealer, the results being similar to what Schwammerl described – a mixed bag of some good, some cursory, some sloppy, and some outright missing.

#1661324 - 04/16/11 03:27 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
Michael Taylor Offline

I have no idea what path my piano took before landing in Discovery Bay, I'm just happy to have it.

#1661368 - 04/16/11 04:36 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I have no idea what path my piano took before landing in Discovery Bay, I'm just happy to have it.

....which really is the whole point. Obviously there are good technicians in countries other than Germany. The quality of the work actually done and the finished product are really all that's important. Someone prepped that Kayserburg to your complete satisfaction, and you're not demanding proof of German citizenship from whomever that might have been.

Personally, I think mosst piano buyers in the US are willing to consider pianos of Chinese manufacture without all the marketing gift-wrap that their distributors seem to feel is necessary. That stuff can sometimes raise more questions than it answers.

#1661400 - 04/16/11 05:23 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: turandot]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
It requires minimum business commonsense to understand why nearly 90% of piano brands made in China must make an association to Germany.
There is not true consumer’s confidence in pianos made in China. Dealers of such brands they will disagree with this statement but; on the other hand they cannot sell effectively without bringing out the story of the German connection. The seller can’t simply left out the German tale and sell them as good quality Chinese made pianos.

Manufactures and dealers cannot drop the story and sell them as Chinese made products (just like Hailun). The success of Yamaha is partially attributed to staying loyal to their name and methods of manufacturing. Korean manufacturers did the opposite. Samick and Young Chang instead of patiently establishing a brand name, they went in all directions and perhaps this has prevented them from creating a stronger presence in the market.

For consumers is just a matter of self comforting. If one looks at a piano truly built in Germany or any other quality product; the story of the German connection in a Chinese piano is soothing. The buyer can justify the purchase and be convinced that a piano sold for 1/6 of the price, it is ¾ of the quality and performance of superior built pianos.
Without mentioning brands I will share firsthand experiences with such. It is possible to carefully prep a piano and make it play quite nicely however; the deterioration overtime it is what truly proves the quality of an instrument. I have seen many nice playing pianos experienced significant change in a matter of a year. This is the area where buyers are in disadvantage.

How can a buyer recognize the German labor DNA in a Chinese made piano?
How can a buyer predict the changes in a new piano that has been fully prepped at the showroom?
The stories given by manufacturers are quite convoluted that I will rather believe that many first grade German Pianos are built with Chinese parts…

Edited by Kurtmen (04/16/11 05:30 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1661455 - 04/16/11 07:16 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: turandot]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: turandot
Someone prepped that Kayserburg to your complete satisfaction,

Thanks for the compliment Turandot, I am the guilty party!

@Kurtmen
Originally Posted By: Kurtmen
It requires minimum business commonsense to understand why nearly 90% of piano brands made in China must make an association to Germany.
There is not true consumer’s confidence in pianos made in China. Dealers of such brands they will disagree with this statement but; on the other hand they cannot sell effectively without bringing out the story of the German connection. The seller can’t simply left out the German tale and sell them as good quality Chinese made pianos.

This is a somewhat disingenuous statement considering that your company was the one placing a seed of doubt about the longevity of the instrument while trying to sell a competitive product.

Manufactures and dealers cannot drop the story and sell them as Chinese made products (just like Hailun). The success of Yamaha is partially attributed to staying loyal to their name and methods of manufacturing. Korean manufacturers did the opposite. Samick and Young Chang instead of patiently establishing a brand name, they went in all directions and perhaps this has prevented them from creating a stronger presence in the market.

You mean like a Korean company buying a German company and incorporating their components into the production? Or a Japanese company employing components, and selling pianos built outside of Japan, while proudly displaying the Japanese moniker?

For consumers is just a matter of self comforting. If one looks at a piano truly built in Germany or any other quality product; the story of the German connection in a Chinese piano is soothing. The buyer can justify the purchase and be convinced that a piano sold for 1/6 of the price, it is ¾ of the quality and performance of superior built pianos.
Without mentioning brands I will share firsthand experiences with such. It is possible to carefully prep a piano and make it play quite nicely however; the deterioration overtime it is what truly proves the quality of an instrument. I have seen many nice playing pianos experienced significant change in a matter of a year. This is the area where buyers are in disadvantage.

Yet, you fail to give an example. You insinuate that "careful preparation" can mask the true quality of a piano, and I find that statement naive, especially when coming from a competitive dealer. As a dealer who prides himself on "careful preparation" of every piano we sell, new or used, and having carefully prepped over 6,000 Kawai pianos in my time as a Kawai dealer, if I state that the Ritmüller and Kayserburg pianos come better prepped and their components more consistent than any other product from "Asia" that I have represented, would you find it any less disingenuous?

How can a buyer recognize the German labor DNA in a Chinese made piano?
How can a buyer predict the changes in a new piano that has been fully prepped at the showroom?
The stories given by manufacturers are quite convoluted that I will rather believe that many first grade German Pianos are built with Chinese parts…

So, when Kawai proudly proclaimed it's "Renner" connection in the early days (1980's) were you any less appalled? Are you saying that you do not "fully prep" your Kawai pianos? Perhaps PianoDon would be interested in learning that.

As to first grade German pianos being built with Chinese parts, I will defer to you since I would assume you know the components in the brands you represent. The "first grade" German pianos we represent are 100% German.

There is an adage that has something to do with glass houses and stones. You might want to research that before your next post.

Edited by master88er (04/16/11 07:18 PM)

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: SteingraeberGrotrianSauterEstoniaKayserburgBaldwinBrodmannRitmller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1661472 - 04/16/11 08:04 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: master88er]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Quote:

Quote:
This is a somewhat disingenuous statement considering that your company was the one placing a seed of doubt about the longevity of the instrument while trying to sell a competitive product.

master88er:

Perhaps I struck a nerve.
I'll bet you cannott sell any of these pianos without a mouthful of "Germany".

The rest is just hot-air...

My nearest competitor sells Proudly made in China Hailun, I can't argue with that.

Edited by Kurtmen (04/16/11 08:11 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1661499 - 04/16/11 08:56 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: master88er]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: master88er
Originally Posted By: turandot
Someone prepped that Kayserburg to your complete satisfaction,

Thanks for the compliment Turandot, I am the guilty party!

I figured as much, but I didn't want to embarrass you. I know that you'd rather talk sandwiches than pianos.

Another thing that requires minimum business common sense is that you don't give something to a rival, even one halfway across the world, unless you get something in return.

Steingraeber is a small company. China is a vast market accounting for 50% of global piano sales. If Pearl River can assist Steingraeber in penetrating the Chinese market, that has some value. If Steingraeber can assist Pearl River in Europe by informally certifying its pianos as they enter Europe, it has some value. I see no harm and no foul here whatsoever. My point was that a final tune-up in Bayreuth is not going to meann all that much in the US market and is hardly worth the logistics of a final destination in California from China by way of Bayreuth. Better to let Master Kassmann handle it. The man has prepped thousands of Kawais! For US marketing spin, it's much simpler and cheaper to buy spools of Roslau wire, cut it as needed, and tell the world about your German components. grin

I think Master Kassmann has a point here, Kurtmen. There are all kinds of potential "associations" with Germany. You're serving them up as a stew when they should be discussed separately. You've also added a tablespoon of FUD to the stew before serving.

Michael (or anyone else interested in the origins of Pearl River's Kayserburg),

This article is long on facts and fairly neutral in tone.

http://www.bjreview.com.cn/business/txt/2009-05/15/content_196078.htm

#1661501 - 04/16/11 08:57 PM Re: The Kayserburg has landed!!! [Re: Michael Taylor]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
I love that house and the piano. Very nice!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, angga888, Alux, 43 invisible), 1486 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
43 minutes 32 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
45 minutes 52 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission