2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
In addition, parents will not fight against teachers. It is very seldom for parents to go to principal and accuse teachers from doing this or that. In general, if the students do not do well or acting out, the parents will be blamed, and it is a big embarrassment. On the other hand, teachers in the US are afraid of parents outrage. That is why it is not easy to be a teacher in the US or may be other countries where parents like to fight against teacher. I cannot imagine of becoming a school teacher in US public school.

Actually, that's just one of the many reasons.

American teachers face a diversity of cultures in their classrooms. Every culture brings in some positives and some negatives. A good teacher will try to harness the good and expertly avoid the bad, but sometimes the bad far outweighs the good. Even a simple concept like "respect" is different among different people. I've wasted many hour building rapport in the classroom and making sure everyone feels included, to the expense of actually teaching something. At times, I felt like a peace-keeper just so the different groups can get along. Learning the subject matter is almost of secondary importance.

You certainly don't have that problem in Asian countries, where most populations are nearly homogeneous, and their expectations are more-or-less the same.

Totally agree, it is easier to teach when only one kind of students, so that the teacher just needs to apply one method. Otherwise, the teacher needs to juggle with all kinds of methods.

All my life, I went to a private school so that it is also easy to control the kind of students who will go to that school. Especially, in Junior high and high school where they can control the quality of students that want to accept.

T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow, 120 posts. I wasn't even expecting that. But the good news is that I am fixing it right now. I have been speaking to my counselor. I would like to announce right here and now that I am in the band next year as their pianist. I am excited about this. Algebra doesn't come naturally to me. But all my other subjects I just fail to study at. Though my algebra grade is improving as are all my other classes. I am not taking the next stage in AP art because it is very demanding on my outside time. I would rather be in band where I can play piano with other instruments accompaniment. This will especially help me if I go for a job like a concert pianist where I may be playing with an orchestra behind me, yes?

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by John Citron
I saw the end-results of this at UMass-Lowell. There were so many students who couldn't get out of their own way once they got there. In one of my classes, the professor went as far as to really make the individual papers so easy that it made me sick...etc. John
Oh, John, your post makes me physically ill. If the failure of the American education system is seeping into the colleges, we are lost.

Do you know what happens to a public school teacher who places the bar high and holds the students accountable? We are harassed by parents and administrators give us poor performance reviews which can lead to firing. What is boils down to is this: if you want to keep you job, you bend, and bend, and give second chances and third chances. You try to come up with solutions that don't compromise your own integrity but to keep your job, you sometimes are forced to make decisions that go against what you know is best for the kid. I have struggled with deciding which is more important: my own moral code or taking home a paycheck. My husband says, "take the paycheck. You retire in 5 years." Maybe that's why I've come to hate my job.

What a sad situation. You have my admiration for sticking with it.

(Sorry for the late reply - I have been away.)

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission