2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 75 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 74 75
D
D
Thanks all who have responded to my question about the series. It has helped me a lot in deciding where to go next.

John, I noticed you mentioned "Abide with Me" and "Fairest Lord Jesus," two of my most favorite hymns. What book are you using that has these hymns? I don't think they are in Book 3.

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Carl Mc:
Mark - since you ask, here's my version of "Fandango" - it's the Book arrangement with a slightly extended (and hopefully enhanced) ending:

Fandango

Regards, JF
Jf,
I am exploring here- as I am book one, but did not want to pass on the opportunity to say I enjoyed your Fandango and look forward to getting here.
Carl
Carl - thanks - glad you enjoyed it - good luck with Book 1 and above all have fun thumb

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DaveInMichigan:

John, I noticed you mentioned "Abide with Me" and "Fairest Lord Jesus," two of my most favorite hymns. What book are you using that has these hymns? I don't think they are in Book 3.
Dave - you are correct that they are not in Book 3 - the only hymn in Book 3 that I am aware of is what the authors call "An American Hymn" (which is an old favorite much more commonly known as "Shall We Gather at the River"?)

I am actually playing two different arrangements of each of the hymns you mention. The 1st version of each comes from a book which is basically a companion to the Alfred Adult series and which is called: "Alfred's Basic Adult Sacred Piano Book, Level 2". The arrangements in this are very good and are roughly equivalent in technical demand to the pieces found in Alfred 2 (in fact they are coordinated by page number). Here is a link to it at sheetmusicplus.com:

Alfred\'s Sacred Piano Book

The 2nd version of each is taken from a book entitled "The Definitive Hymn Collection - 218 Multi-Denominational Hymns". The arrangements in this are a little more advanced (e.g., multiple RH harmonies), and here is a link to it:

The Definitive Hymn Collection

I'm trying to combine the 2 arrangements of each into one modified, enhanced version of each. For example, playing the 1st verse with arrangement 1, the 2nd verse with arrangement 2, etc. So far it a little slow going because the "Definitive" arrangements are still a bit of a challenge for me - but not for long!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
JF,

I didn't know fandango was a latin type piece so I rushed out and took my alfreds out and boy did I love it. Being latin myself I love that kind of music. It was a break to play something so simple and beautiful after having to play the tedious classical stuff I'm playing now.

I want to play some latin and Irish music for a change. I just received a shipment from sheetmusicplus and I'm going to bring it with me as a hint hint for my teacher.

In addition I saw where IrishMak, mentioned "Toreador" so I'm going to play that on the side as well probably today if I have time. laugh

I'm reading the posts here and the discussion on what level is achieved after completing alfreds and I have to agree with early Intermediate.

I'm not a teacher nor do I feel qualified to recommend but I'm going to say this from my own experience.

Supplement your alfreds heavily with original pieces. That right there is going to help you more than any arranged pieces in the books out there.

It's fine if all you want to do is play arrangements from the time you finish your method books but if you want to play original pieces start now if you haven't already.

Not only is it going to help you progress in levels but it's going to help you technically as well with finger independence especially for the left hand, strength and all kinds of stuff for lack of a better word.

The progress you guys will make is going to be remarkable.

Muzio Clementis sonatina op 36. no 1 is a really good place to start. All three movements. It's easy but nice and it works your fingers speed, dexterity and so on and so forth.

As JF mentioned the keyboard repertoir is good. I would study from there as opposed to arrangements you'll develop more from original pieces.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
D
D
JF, thanks for the link. Our library system here has both books, so I will check out the second one. The first one is a little "too easy" for me. wink

I currently have also "Twenty Piano Duet Transcriptions of Favorite Hymns" (also through the loan). If you have another person who can play four hands with you, this book is great. It is quite doable for someone in Alfred 3. I think I am going to do "Come, Thou Almighty King" with a teenager next month or March.

I'm reading the posts here and the discussion on what level is achieved after completing alfreds and I have to agree with early Intermediate.
OG, I agree. I have searched Book 3, the selections (outside of the ambitious section) look so easy to me. Even "Moonlight Sonata" in the ambitious section doesn't look ambitious to me (this is by no means meant to be an arrogant statement. It is just that we have to describe our levels, which I am still assessing, with words.)

Then I started to check out the repertoire books (with Amazon preview), and I think I am probably between early intermediate and intermediate. I will also check out some fingering and exercise books.

Well, I have probably "pirated" this thread too much. I will stop now as this is supposed to be discussion on the study on Book 3. Sorry about this and thanks all! Hope to see you all in other threads. It is great to be here. smile

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:
JF,

I didn't know fandango was a latin type piece so I rushed out and took my alfreds out and boy did I love it. Being latin myself I love that kind of music. It was a break to play something so simple and beautiful after having to play the tedious classical stuff I'm playing now.

I want to play some latin and Irish music for a change. I just received a shipment from sheetmusicplus and I'm going to bring it with me as a hint hint for my teacher.

Supplement your alfreds heavily with original pieces.

It's fine if all you want to do is play arrangements from the time you finish your method books but if you want to play original pieces start now if you haven't already.

Not only is it going to help you progress in levels but it's going to help you technically as well with finger independence especially for the left hand, strength and all kinds of stuff for lack of a better word.

As JF mentioned the keyboard repertoir is good. I would study from there as opposed to arrangements you'll develop more from original pieces.
OG - glad you liked Fandango - yes, a fun piece to play - wish it was longer and a little more complex - if you find anything like that let me know - love those Latin pices myself.

Also - good advice on playing "original" pieces.

Regards, JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi again gang - here's a progress report (because inquiring minds want to know wink ) - Finally got a decent recording of "Serenade" which you should be able to hear in a special thread here in the ABF in about 3 weeks or so.

Also, put the finishing touches on "The Grand Piano Band" in Book 3 and moving deeply into "A Very Special Day" - nice piece.

Additionally, finished The Beethoven Minuet in G and ready to move on to a minuet by Handel from his "Music for the Royal Fireworks" suite.

And, I'm about ready to start another hymn from "The Definitive Hymn Collection", but not sure which one yet (maybe "Be Stll My Soul".

Regards, JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Finishing up "A Very Special Day" and moving on to "Classy Rag" today in Book 3 - also working on the Handel's Minuet in D minor from "Easy Piano Classics" book.

Regards, JF

Hi Guys!

Thought I'd drop by here to share my 'progress'. I'm joining John F, I just started working on ' a very special day', although the string quartet still needs a finishing touch. It's trickier than it looks to play it nicely, especially the bottom line with the non-alberti-bass. And I sometimes mess around a bit with the fingering, which doesn't help.

I'm also heavily into the etudes at the moment (Not Hanon, but similar I guess). I really like it to isolate some specific technical detail and work on it. Managed last week to play something with now and then a staccato note with the left hand, while holding a note to its full value (tenuto??) with the other one. Tricky stuff, but it really pays of.

AlsO struggling with the Moonlight Sonate, Its beautiful, but the stretches for the right hand are quite big. Well, in fact its mostly an octave, but then you have to do other stuff with some notes in between as well. And for someone who was struggling a month ago with playing the left hand softer then the right...I am now supposed to play with just my right hand some soft broken chords, AND a louder melody line (with the pink). Its a challenge. But my teacher is convinced I'll manage it so I'll keep on working on it for the next weeks, while continuing the 'normal' way through book 3 as well.

Have fun playing everyone!! And I'll try to post a bit more often, it's a bit quiet around here lately...

IngridT

PS...Oxfords Gal...I love your term 'original pieces' . A lot better then my 'real music' wink

Oh, and Mark.....did I read somewhere else on the forum that you are now working on Gnossienne 1???? And...do you like it???

Ingrid (nr 6 abandoned for the moment. But 1,2,3,4,5 still in the reportoire...)

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IngridT:
Oh, and Mark.....did I read somewhere else on the forum that you are now working on Gnossienne 1???? And...do you like it???

Ingrid (nr 6 abandoned for the moment. But 1,2,3,4,5 still in the reportoire...)
That's on my to do list, but I am well into Gymnopedie Nr. 1. Its a really nice piece too.

Both by Satie

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IngridT:
Hi Guys!

Thought I'd drop by here to share my 'progress'. I'm joining John F, I just started working on ' a very special day', although the string quartet still needs a finishing touch. It's trickier than it looks to play it nicely, especially the bottom line with the non-alberti-bass. And I sometimes mess around a bit with the fingering, which doesn't help.

. . . . .

Have fun playing everyone!! And I'll try to post a bit more often, it's a bit quiet around here lately...

IngridT
Ingrid - glad you "dropped by" - Yes, the Serenade piece is a little tricky thru those 3 measures that were discussed before, and I concentrated on that part hard enough to just be able to get thru that section when I made my recording - but now a week or so later I would probably have to practice it all over again - I think it's going to be my piece submitted to the upcoming ABF Recital on Feb. 15th - but not definitely sure yet. Are you submittting a piece?

Let me know how you like "A Very Special Day" which I'm also going to record in a day or two as soon as I get the ending down pat.

Yes, things have been a little quiet around here lately (it's all your fault :p )- OldFingers said he would be away for a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure what Mak or Cyborg or piano4 are up to lately - I guess we'll hear from them sooner or later.

Keep hammering away at "Moonlight" - you'll get it in time.

Regards, JF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been up to shoveling snow and chopping ice! LOL Oh, wait, were you referring to piano???

Finishing up Toreador Song- my teacher would have let me drop it this week, but I'm not completely ready to do that yet. I'm not quite happy with the end. The rest is, if not quite good, at least decent, and I would like to get the ending up to the same level.

Rock A My Soul- having a bit of a time with the left hand dotted eighth followed by a sixteenth pattern. Instead of a nice, syncopated rhythm, it sounds like mush! So that's my assignment for this week with that one- work that left hand!

October Morning (from Romantic Impressions, Bk. 2)- just need to smooth out a couple places on the 3rd page.

Beautiful Dreams (same book)- played through it cold at my lesson. Ummm, not pretty! LOL But it will be, I think. Another 3 pager, so I don't have to work on the whole thing, thank heaven! And it's marked Allegretto, which is always a bugger for me. I just can't seem to play anything fast!

And then just trying to keep up with the stuff I'm supposed to already "know." Boy, is that an eye-opener if I haven't played one of them in a while!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
I'm hanging around... work and grad class have gotten to me eek I've just finished my paper and it's late, so I won't be working on anything tonight.

Sorry to bring up Christmas songs, finished "O Holy Night" and, I thought I had it down to an exact science bah My instructor mentioned to me that she knows I know my notes: there are two places that i was relying on my ears instead of the notes. I was kind of bummed out about that but, on the other hand, just knowing that I can play this is a most enlightening experience wow

Now, I have "Toccata in D minor" and it's a doozy! And I'm only on the first page eek

Take care everyone!

[Linked Image]
J
J
I am learning piano from two months ago , a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Alfred book all in one course for piano Vol 1" in pdf , in my country is very difficult to get books from USA because the prices are high and there are not places that get them , this book is very easy for beginners like me , i am learning a lot, it's fantastic, but i would like to grateful if someone could help me in get the audio for that book, the audio examples inside this book.

Thanks in advance!!!
Regards!
Jorge
Argentina

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by jobs99:
I am learning piano from two months ago , a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Alfred book all in one course for piano Vol 1" in pdf , in my country is very difficult to get books from USA because the prices are high and there are not places that get them , this book is very easy for beginners like me , i am learning a lot, it's fantastic, but i would like to grateful if someone could help me in get the audio for that book, the audio examples inside this book.

Thanks in advance!!!
Regards!
Jorge
Argentina
Here are some You Tube example of many Alfred pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PianoNoobAlexMan&view=videos

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mak - tell us a little about "Romantic Impressions" - Thanks.

Regards, JF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
Mak - tell us a little about "Romantic Impressions" - Thanks.
Sure. There are four volumes in the series, all with original compostitions by Martha Mier. I have books 1 and 2. I've finished going thru book 1, and started book 2. The pieces are not exceptionally difficult, but very pretty, if you like the Romantic style (think Debussy or Schumann, perhaps).

From Ms. Mier's introduction to the books:

"Romantic Impressions was especially written to provide pianists with the experience of expressive playing. Playing in a lyrical, expressive and romantic style is an important aspect in the development of the intermediate pianist.

Warm, lyrical, cantabile melodies and rich harmonic structures are found in this collection, which will appeal to pianists of any age who harbor a romantic soul!

It is my wish that playing this music will bring out the romantic in you, and leave you with lasting Romantic Impressions."

The first book is labeled for Early Intermediate to Intermediate pianists, and the second for Intermediate to Late Intermediate.

I find the pieces very pretty and I do enjoy playing them.

A few you tube videos (not me!) of some of the pieces:

The Whispereing Wind, Book 1

Hold My Hand, Book 1

Sand Castles, Book 1

Dreams Bright and Beautiful, Book 2

I'm really enjoying these books as a supplement to the Alfred's Adult book. My teacher hadn't known about Ms. Mier before I brought in the first book, but she's since gotten a few for other of her students.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Hey! That's funny!

I have that romantic impressions book right here. I didn't play through it completely, but It was recommended to me as a 'extra' book by our local music-book-store, and I remember my teacher telling me that she was a big fan of Martha Mier (meaning Martha Ant in dutch, funny name).

I only got part 1 here. So there's more???

Hmhm, too much music, too little time!!

Ingrid (anybody played the Alfred duet books by the way? There's 2 parts, nicely connected to the adult course 1 and 2. I played them both completely, with my teacher doing the 'B' part. Very nice pieces, also when you play them solo. I am now studying some of the background parts myself to play with my oldest son. So much fun!)

Oh and Mark....it was the Gymnopedie instead of the Gnossienne. Also very nice. I dropped Gnossienne 6 FTTB. It's difficult, but also a lot different then the other 5, much more modern. I guess I'll come back to it some time in the future. I have the Gymnopedie book as well. Maybe I'll start working on those over the summer (last summer I did de first 3 Gnossiennes as a kind of holiday-assignment. Was fun! I re-playead all 5 I 'mastered' last week a few times. I hadn't played them for a few weeks, and oh boy, I started losing them already. If I really want to keep them alive I'll have to play them at least every other week or so. A few months back I played most of them by memory.)

And John..you asked about recording. I still have to figure out a way to take care of that. I'd love to play you guys a Satie piece, or one of the Alfred pieces. Would be nive to get some honest feedback from 'peers' or constructive criticism. But apart from a mobile phone there's no recording devices in the house. You guys think I can handle it with that? or at least try out something the youtube way? (also never done that). I know there's a whole description of the process floating around the forum somewhere, but it sounded pretty complicated (or, more likely, I was not really in the mood to absorb it and remember what the easy way was to take care of it)

Ingrid

(edited to take care of roughly 21 typo's . I really sounded like officer Crabtree out of 'Allo Allo' (which you probably don't know, but he speaks a very weird version of the english language))

and re-edited to add this (warning! rather politically incorrect! Though for the average european hilarious) link to a Youtube fragment of the abovementioned series/officer...
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrAp5gzdqc&feature=related

Page 21 of 75 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission