2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
OP Offline
L
I will hear people sometimes say to a pianist things like "Your so good" or "How did you get that good? You have a gift". When I hear these things said to me, I just tell them, it's practice, thats it, to which they protest and say, "well I couldn't do it." I tell them, yes you could, just practice.

Am I wrong in thinking that anyone can become a great pianist by merely dedicated practicing? Does this explain all the "prodigies"?

T
T
A prodigy is basically a child that has usually mastered something. A lot of prodigies get to where they are because they are passionate, dedicated, and usually, they have a good support system behind their backs to lead the way for them. The sad thing is, is that it is brutally hard to get a career in music because it is competitive and most of the spots these days are taken. I want to be one of those people that play in plays for the orchestra. I saw a guy doing that the other day and it was straight on awesome. Practice doesn't make perfect I say, but it brings you to greatness indeed. I don't believe there is a such thing as perfect in anything except Jesus Christ and God.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Well, while it's true that some people have a natural talent towards very general things (a good ear without training, for example, would benefit piano or language study - but someone else may have great hand-eye coordination that could do the same, or provide affinity to sports), yes, you're correct.

Anyone *can* be a great pianist.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by TylerNB
A prodigy is basically a child that has usually mastered something. A lot of prodigies get to where they are because they are passionate, dedicated, and usually, they have a good support system behind their backs to lead the way for them. The sad thing is, is that it is brutally hard to get a career in music because it is competitive and most of the spots these days are taken. I want to be one of those people that play in plays for the orchestra. I saw a guy doing that the other day and it was straight on awesome. Practice doesn't make perfect I say, but it brings you to greatness indeed. I don't believe there is a such thing as perfect in anything except Jesus Christ and God.

Nowhere did anyone say anything about perfect, nor about being a concert pianist/professional musician. Also, that is neither necessarily what a prodigy is or how one "becomes" one.

It's about the ability to be a good pianist - and yes, I think it's an ability because it takes a lot of practice, thought, and to a certain degree (the OP's main concern), skill.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by lisztonian
I will hear people sometimes say to a pianist things like "Your so good" or "How did you get that good? You have a gift". When I hear these things said to me, I just tell them, it's practice, thats it, to which they protest and say, "well I couldn't do it." I tell them, yes you could, just practice.

Am I wrong in thinking that anyone can become a great pianist by merely dedicated practicing? Does this explain all the "prodigies"?

It's hard to say. Those who lack aptitude generally get sensible and move to something else. I suppose we COULD ruin some child's life by picking one who wasn't a natural pianist and forcing him into the practice routine of a prospective concert player. Anyone got an offspring to offer for the experiment?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you are talking about the people who doesnt play piano, thats very normal they are not musically trained and your playing can amaze them very easily even if you are playing moonlight sonata mvt. 1. But if you play in front of the experienced pianist or intermediate pianist you can get more true criticism. Anyone cant become a great pianist. For example if you have a stage fright you cant become a great pianist. Also practicing is not enough you have to touch the heart of audience for becoming a great pianist. There are very few great pianists on earth or died for example rubinstein, horowitz, cziffra, volodos these are great painists so becoming a great pianist is not an easy process maybe the hardest thing on earth. You have to be one in millionth.

Last edited by Batuhan; 04/18/11 07:52 PM.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Prodigies are gifted. Simple as that.

Of course, even prodigies need to practice. But they get more out of every minute of practicing.

A more obvious example: chess prodigies. Unless somebody challenges me on this example I don't think I need to say much more.

Whether prodigies make much of their talents as they grow up is a whole different topic.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It depends on what you mean by "great". I don't think that everyone can become a Horowitz or a Martha Argerich, but with dedication probably most people can learn to play the piano reasonably well. There must also be some will to reach the goal. Children can be forced to practice, but adults cannot and will give up if they don't like what they are doing or don't have that "will".

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think that anyone can become a good pianist, with a good deal of hard work. To answer the OP's question in a slightly different way: I do not think that people are or are not predisposed to be pianists. I think that with all of the correct "conditions" (practice, performance, teacher, support of family and friends, etc.) anyone can become a good pianist, and on the flip side, I don't think that people who do not have a certain "talent" (whatever that is) are necessarily unable to excel. I think that anyone, with a lot of work and proper guidance, can do very well.

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
R
R
No amount of dabbling or paint can make everyone a Rembrandt -- fair analogy?

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
I suppose we COULD ruin some child's life by picking one who wasn't a natural pianist and forcing him into the practice routine of a prospective concert player.

How would/could you know if someone was "natural" at the piano though? Wouldn't equally focused practice = almost identical results? (I realize this isn't an exact science)

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Lingyis

Why practice then?

Last edited by lisztonian; 04/18/11 09:51 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by riley80
No amount of dabbling or paint can make everyone a Rembrandt

+1

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Am I wrong in thinking that anyone can become a great pianist by merely dedicated practicing?

Yes - you are wrong. Some folks, no matter how hard they try, simply don't have an aptitude for it.

And then, of course, there's the question of what you mean by
"great" pianist.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lingyis

Why practice then?

Well, maybe if you include the 2nd line in my comment, you'll see my answer to this rhetorical question.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by TylerNB
[...]have a good support system behind their backs to lead the way for them[...]

I guess they have to walk backwards, do they?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Practice reveals the gift.

And if talent is all that it takes, then Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan wouldn't have to practice.

There's a decent discussion of this in "Outliers", by the way. (It's part of the famous "10,000 hours" thing you hear about from time to time.)

It takes both - talent and practice.

A favorite quote of golfers:

"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

In music terms:

"The more I practice, the more talented I seem to be."

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Practice reveals the gift.

And if talent is all that it takes, then Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan wouldn't have to practice.

There's a decent discussion of this in "Outliers", by the way. (It's part of the famous "10,000 hours" thing you hear about from time to time.)

It takes both - talent and practice.

A favorite quote of golfers:

"The more I practice, the luckier I get."

In music terms:

"The more I practice, the more talented I seem to be."

Makes sense

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Can anyone become a great singer? how many hours of practice will it take to have a voice comparable to that of Renee Fleming or Luciano Pavarotti ?

Yes, practice can take someone to competence but true greatness takes both the unusual level of aptitude and physical apparatus and the unusual level of dedication and hard work.

Last edited by sophial; 04/18/11 11:32 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by survivordan
I don't think that people who do not have a certain "talent" (whatever that is) are necessarily unable to excel. I think that anyone, with a lot of work and proper guidance, can do very well.

I basically agree, though one might ask what you mean by 'very well'? Does that mean mastering (i.e. playing musically and accurately up to speed) the Chopin etudes? I'm not sure about that.

To me, 'very well' means advanced intermediate, a term Gyro uses (IMO) correctly to denote the vast majority of piano students who don't make it to 'conservatory level', another term Gyro uses. The Chopin etudes -and the vast majority of the piano repertoire- lie outside and far beyond 'very well'.

Just my thoughts. This issue has come up several times, and it always tends to be very contentious.

Jason
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission