Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1662612 - 04/18/11 11:26 PM piano tuner's other job
darrenhee Offline

iam so curious and would like to know all the piano tuners job, apart from tune and repair piano, or selling piano; what other job (fulltime, parttime or freelance) will they do. unless they own their own business.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1662634 - 04/19/11 12:00 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Darren,

Interesting question...it is along the same lines as "is this your day job?" other jobs within this profession include scheduling, preparing tools and invoices, book work, talking to customers, etc. That pretty much takes care of 50 + hours a week for me. I also play the piano (sometimes for money, even!), take care of the home, take care of wife, take care of son. Along with riding my bike and playing chess, that pretty much takes care of waking hours. I sleep occasionally, too.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1662740 - 04/19/11 05:44 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Dave Stahl]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
So many customers find hard to believe this is my only source of income. Many customer asked what else I do. Sometimes when I am leaving a customer home 1 1/2 hour away from my home based, they will say something like this "Well you all done for the day"(this being said first thing in the morning) "you came all this way for my tuning" Do you have any more in the area"

#1662750 - 04/19/11 06:43 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Ah, the classic "So what else do you do?" Thanks, hadn't heard it yet this week! smile

Another good one is someone calling for an appointment and saying "I'm home this afternoon if you want to come now."

#1662753 - 04/19/11 06:55 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
My full time job is to say "Yes, Dear."

My other part time job (only 40 hours a week) is as an electrician at a manufacturing plant.

#1662804 - 04/19/11 09:00 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Just yesterday, when returning calls that came in while I was in Florida for the past 3 weeks, yes, to some of you, I just had to rub it in, one LAST time, smile They both asked if I could come next week Tuesday or Wednesday? I said noooooo and gave them a date toward the end of May. Finally, as I neared the end of the list. I still have 5 calls left yet, one lady who I could barely understand, had called back twice. She was angry the 2nd time saying in her foreign accent; "I call you once, you no return call. That rude! Crummy way to run business. Now I call you 2 times. Do you think you return this call??? 3 days later I did, after I got to that one on the list... When I called her, she immediately complained about me not calling her back to which I simply replied, do you need a vacation? "Excuse me? Not at this time" she said. Well, I did, and that is were I was for the past 3 weeks. "Oh.... So, (like that didn't matter) you come next weeeek then, tune piano, okay?" She lives 45 minutes away. Nope, I said. I can come on June 2 though. "WHAT? You come when?" June 2. "You not that busy? Come on!" She said. Can't do it that quickly, I am always scheduling in advance, I said. "OK. you on list of cancellations. Call me back within week or two for tuning, okay? I said, sure, along with about 25 other people that want the same thing... Well, hurry up, call me soon for tuning. We hung up, I threw her name in the waste basket..... No thanks! Call someone else...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1662805 - 04/19/11 09:04 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Jer, wish I had that luxury, you lucky dog. You forgot to add one more to the list of "other jobs", taking vacations thumb
PTG Associate

#1662809 - 04/19/11 09:18 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You will Les, very soon the way your are going! thumb
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1662890 - 04/19/11 11:59 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
It really is one of those FAQs that comes up on a regular basis. It's difficult for people to wrap their brain around the idea that there could be that much piano work out there.

I remember talking with Bill Spurlock several years ago about their business. Bill told me that they hadn't accepted a new client in 3 years! He also said that the techs to whom they used to refer customers were also to busy to take on new clients! That's why when his wife, Fern was president of PTG, education was their main agenda. From their standpoint there was not enough skilled technicians to take care of all the pianos in their area.

In my chapter of PTG, most of the technicians are doing this "full-time" although, it's hard to say how busy some of them are. A number of them have wives with good jobs. Then we have a couple of workaholics who probably put in 70-80 hours a week!

There is one fellow in my chapter who has 3 businesses: Piano technician, school bus driver, and tax consultant. I think he does the bus driving for the benefits, and his tax business keeps him busy during a time when his tuning business is a little slow, so it works pretty well for him.

Jerry: I know what you mean about clients who can't believe you have to schedule so far out! They somehow think we are sitting around staring at the phone waiting for it to ring. Some times of the year we get to a tuning within a week or two, but during the 4th quarter it can be 4 or even 5 weeks. You can hear their surprise on the other end of the phone. We tell people we are willing to squeeze it in sooner, but it puts me into overtime and we charge a premium for it. Most people decide to wait, or try another technician. It weeds out the less loyal clients!

Edited by rysowers (04/19/11 12:01 PM)
www.pianova.net

#1662895 - 04/19/11 12:10 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Loren D]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Quote:
Another good one is someone calling for an appointment and saying "I'm home this afternoon if you want to come now."

A bit more annoying is the one where the prospect calls and says "I work during the daytime, can you come in the evening/Saturday?"

My usual response is along the lines of "That's when I work, too. Could we schedule something toward the beginning or end of your day before your go to work or after you return home? Or, are you able to get away during your lunch hour?"

If people are still resistant, I just explain that they'll have to do the same for their piano as if they were making an appointment with an electrician, plumber, telephone repair person. (Try calling a plumber to come in the evening "because you work"!!)

#1662906 - 04/19/11 12:27 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Love it!!!

Also surprising when people are shocked they have to wait to get a piano rebuilt.
They think I can start tomorrow and finish by the end of the month.
Oh, also shocked that it costs money.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1662907 - 04/19/11 12:29 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
wcctuner Offline

Loc: Princeton, NJ
I work full time as a university piano tech, and I'm also a church organist/choir director. A number of years ago I got home from my rehearsal and called a new customer who wanted me to call any time that night. I returned the call around 9:30, and this customer was mad at me because I wouldn't come out that same night-9:30-and tune his piano.

#1662992 - 04/19/11 02:18 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: wcctuner]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wcctuner
I work full time as a university piano tech, and I'm also a church organist/choir director. A number of years ago I got home from my rehearsal and called a new customer who wanted me to call any time that night. I returned the call around 9:30, and this customer was mad at me because I wouldn't come out that same night-9:30-and tune his piano.

When I was still working for a retail operation (tuning and some piano moving) I got a call one evening at my private number. The guy on the other end just bought a grand piano at an auction and needed it moved within an hour. When he called it was about 10 PM. I told him good luck and hung up.

#1663012 - 04/19/11 02:55 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: kpembrook]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: kpembrook
Quote:

A bit more annoying is the one where the prospect calls and says "I work during the daytime, can you come in the evening/Saturday?"

My usual response is along the lines of "That's when I work, too. Could we schedule something toward the beginning or end of your day before your go to work or after you return home? Or, are you able to get away during your lunch hour?"

If people are still resistant, I just explain that they'll have to do the same for their piano as if they were making an appointment with an electrician, plumber, telephone repair person. (Try calling a plumber to come in the evening "because you work"!!)

Both these instances illustrate possibilities (though not necessarily requirements) in a personal service-based job like piano tuning! My trade isn't tuning, but it's a similar sort of setup. Someone rings me to get a job done, if I'm free I often say "How about now?" Some jump at it, some seem scared stiff at the concept :-) Likewise evening, weekend and holiday work. I'm delighted to sometimes have free time during "working hours", equally happy to work some evenings and holidays. The one thing I promised myself when I left school was that I would try my hardest NEVER to get stuck with having to wear a suit and tie and be in the same place at 9.00 a.m. every working day of my life! So far, I've managed :-)

#1663097 - 04/19/11 05:53 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

One thing that has always surprised me and still does, is that customers actually have the guts to ask questions that are literally none of their business. Such as "is this your full time job?" Or, "can you make a living at this?" Or, "what else do you do for a REAL job?" Or, after you tuned their piano and are done at 10 AM, do you have more jobs to do today or are you done now?" Or, and this one is a pet peeve of mine. It is as if they are trying to figure out how much you make, again, like it is any of their business to begin with. "How many of these do you do in a day/week?"
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1663187 - 04/19/11 07:54 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
One thing that has always surprised me and still does, is that customers actually have the guts to ask questions that are literally none of their business. Such as "is this your full time job?" Or, "can you make a living at this?" Or, "what else do you do for a REAL job?" Or, after you tuned their piano and are done at 10 AM, do you have more jobs to do today or are you done now?" Or, and this one is a pet peeve of mine. It is as if they are trying to figure out how much you make, again, like it is any of their business to begin with. "How many of these do you do in a day/week?"

Gee, Gerry I think we have the same customers

#1663219 - 04/19/11 08:48 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Or they ask "how many do you tune in a day?", trying to get a fix on my income, I guess.

#1663262 - 04/19/11 10:29 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I'm always pretty honest about it if, that is, I decide to answer. Sometimes, I just give it the silent treatment or ask, why must you know? But, my dad used to toy with them and exaggerate. While he did tune as many as 15 or 16 a day sometimes at the college on a fairly regular basis, he usually tuned 4 day in homes but, he would tell them anywhere from 6 - 8 or more....

One time, he answered a fellow that way who then went to the kitchen. Dad over heard him telling his wife. Swear words coming out of his mouth like mad, saying that so and so, so and so, makes more money in one day than I make in a whole blankity blank week!!!! Dad said he had all he could do to keep from busting out laughing. Yep, that's my dad!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1663265 - 04/19/11 10:32 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Bob]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
You could say, "I'll tell you, if you tell me how much you earned last year".

Or you could just throw out a number like 20 pianos a day. That will give them something to chew on for a while.

#1663338 - 04/20/11 12:23 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Bob]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bob
Or they ask "how many do you tune in a day?", trying to get a fix on my income, I guess.

LOL. Yes it looks so easy, ping ping, in tune, next string. Hey! I could do that!

When I was a kid my mom would be uptight all day when the piano tuner would come. Making sure the house is spotless, piano nice and polished, coffee ready for him, and everyone had to sit quietly in another room until he was done.

Then I would open the piano and put nuts and bolts between the strings and play John Cage prepared piano pieces. smile

Kees

#1663363 - 04/20/11 01:20 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
My income from tuning is inconsequential compared to my investment income. That is why I tend to avoid discussions of prices. My pricing is based on what I feel someone else should get for tuning if I could not do it, and what I feel is a reasonable recognition of our profession's talent and craftsmanship than on anything else.

#1663386 - 04/20/11 01:46 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: DoelKees]
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
Originally Posted By: DoelKees
Originally Posted By: Bob

LOL. Yes it looks so easy, ping ping, in tune, next string. Hey! I could do that!

When I was a kid my mom would be uptight all day when the piano tuner would come. Making sure the house is spotless, piano nice and polished, coffee ready for him, and everyone had to sit quietly in another room until he was done.

Then I would open the piano and put nuts and bolts between the strings and play John Cage prepared piano pieces. smile

Kees

That's twisting the knife. Ouch!

#1663454 - 04/20/11 07:39 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: DoelKees]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: DoelKees

Kees

I do not remember even hearing of John Cage until just yesterday. The customer said my temperament sequence sounded like John Cage music. When I got done he played a little and I asked if he was a fan of Thelonious Monk. He was! Anyway, it took extra time at the appointment because I enjoyed talking with him so much.

#1663518 - 04/20/11 10:31 AM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
When somebody asks me how many pianos I tune per week, I just tell them how many JERRY tunes. That way, they know how much HE makes.

Welcome back Jer, by the way. While you were on vacation we took the liberty of removing your yellow pages add. Hope that was ok?? (That'll learn ya to leave us in the snow!!!)

Rick 3hearts
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1663657 - 04/20/11 02:11 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks Rick! I was to busy anyway! You cracked me up!

www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1663661 - 04/20/11 02:15 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I can't help it. I just have to do this!!!

Quote:
My income from tuning is inconsequential compared to my investment income. That is why I tend to avoid discussions of prices. My pricing is based on what I feel someone else should get for tuning if I could not do it, and what I feel is a reasonable recognition of our profession's talent and craftsmanship than on anything else.

So, BDB, you really DO make a living at something else other than piano tunnnnning! Do I dare ask how much???? LOL!!!

I'm sorry, sometimes, I just can't help it!!! grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1720014 - 07/24/11 02:22 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: kpembrook]
Scotty-Boy Offline

Quote:
(Try calling a plumber to come in the evening "because you work"!!)

I understand limiting your working hours, but I think it is reasonable to have one or two evenings available per week and one or two weekend days available per month.

It's just good customer service.

#1720027 - 07/24/11 02:46 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

All of us work during the evening returning your phone calls after we've already worked a full day. That means putting in at least a 12 hour day before we're done for the day. In the evening, being self employed, we do our office work which can add up to a lot of time sometimes.

Many of us when we first started tuning, worked almost any hours of the week just to have something to tune but now that we've built up our business, many of us no longer have to tune in the evenings or on weekends however, many of us still do emergency service work for our colleges for example after hours or on weekends. You'd be amazed at how many calls we receive requesting that we come at night and it is not an emergency. Yet most people do not want to pay more for after hours service, they merely want and sometimes, expect, the convenience. Why should we do it unless we do get paid extra? I will do it for some of my regular clients but, not all of the time... It depends on my day. And yes, I do charge more for after hours service work. If they want to pay for it, fine, I'll come and do it if I have the time but, if they refuse to pay additional, forget it... smile It isn't fair to me to work harder and at night or on a weekend after working all day long for the same price.

www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1720040 - 07/24/11 03:30 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Roy Rodgers Offline

Loc: Ranger, Texas
Having just started tuning full time last November I still do some odd hour work. So long as it's local.

A few years ago while tuning after my regular job I got a call from a customer two hours away needing her piano tuned the next night for a party she was having. She wanted to know how much I would charge. I threw out what I thought was a pretty outrageous amount...... and she said come up.

I went, tuned the piano the next night, and was paid a good bit more than I quoted. She was just glad some one would come.

Now I try to keep nights and weekends free for family time. In my rural area sometimes I just have to take what comes in. It is getting better though. Just takes time to get to where you can do more picking and less jumping.

I do like being in charge of where and when I go now.

#1720065 - 07/24/11 04:17 PM Re: piano tuner's other job [Re: darrenhee]
JPDelmore Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Well, I do have another job: I'm a chemist. I'm learning piano technology as an "after-retirement" job ("Do or die" doesn't mean there's something you 'have to do', it means if you ain't doing something, you're dying...), in maybe five to ten years. I'll only be in the early fifties, so I'll need something to interest me for at least, I hope, another twenty or thirty years!!

I wouldn't bring this next bit up, but Jerry's just asking for it...

I just, Friday, got back from:

My "other" job, of course, picked up the tab!! LOL

PTG Associate Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (AZNpiano, AndrewAJC, A Guy, AmateurBob, Atrys, 26 invisible), 1164 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155804 Topics
2287755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Personal monitors
by Tim K
30 minutes 38 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
Today at 12:36 AM
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Pictures of my VPC1 setup!
by newbies
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission