2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
IMO smilies are like the expression markings in music scores. They add feeling, and help convey the meaning.
Then everything must be funny to you because you use the smile and haha endlessly. Often to laugh at your own jokes.

Originally Posted by Mark_C}BTW: Dara thinks I'm making this thread about 'me,' but let me draw to her attention that I'm not the one turning the discussion in these extremely silly directions.[/quote
Her comment was about what you had said on the thread up to that point. And I think she was right. That's why I replied.

[quote=Mark_C]And I'm sure Gorden would be the first one to join me in hoping it won't continue.
You just continued it. Your comments were the ones that caused the thread to derail long ago. And you continued making them after Gorden asked you to stop. You seem to have forgotten what he said to you earlier in the thread. It makes my comments look like a slap onthe wrist.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/22/11 01:25 PM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by liszt85
The point remains that you chose to bring up the issue of posting rates when there was no need to (with the "the need to constantly say everything on one's mind no matter how insignificant." comment). So now instead of Steve foreseeing your issue, I guess he just responded to that by saying that the things that bug people the most are usually things they hate in themselves. Its so far pretty evident in your case. This is about the 6th or 7th time I've seen you mention posting rates (most of these also included a comparison with Mark's posting rate) on PW. I'm sure you've done it more times than that. It is indicative of exactly what Steve's 91 year old Dad says. Your real issue is not with Mark.
That's about as speculative a post Ilve seen at PW. I could just as easily say your need to comment on my post was a sign of a real deeper issue with you. My bringing up of posting rates was cmpletely relevant as I pointed out in my last reply to you.

Like I said, this is how you were supposed to reply. Totally expected. This is characteristic of this particular malady. Why don't you say something useful instead of continuing a pointless discussion on posting rates (and instead of bringing it up in the first place)? You did make some useful comments and I even agreed with you on a couple of those. Gorden and Mark both came to terms with all that and all seemed well, UNTIL you did what you did. Why don't you start a thread called "Mark_C's posting rate vs my posting rate" and post there whenever you feel the need to vent? I suggest this because this has soured many a past thread and will continue souring future ones. So its best you have your own thread where you could do this.

It stops being speculation when there is empirical evidence of the presence of whatever you accuse people of "speculating" on. If we had a better search function, I would have dug up all those posts I'm referring to just to show you what I mean (though I suspect you already know).

P.S: Stop with the preaching already. I can assure you that most people here think you've derailed the discussion more than anybody else here did (I'm guilty of contributing to that as well by responding to you but sometimes, I just can't refrain from responding to what I think is nonsense). While Mark stayed on topic, you've begun discussing irrelevant stuff like posting rates. Mark's only folly (perceived by people) was that he continued talking about competition politics when the OP clearly didn't enjoy an extended discussion of it, so people felt that discussion was suited for a different thread while maintaining that Mark had useful insights about the subject. However, I'm pretty confident that nobody is interested in the discussion that you've initiated about your posting rate vs Mark's, not in this thread, not in a different thread. Your posting rate is not as important to us as it is to you, you see? Like somebody else mentioned here, you sometimes preach to others about respect. Why don't you start by following some of your own advice?

Last edited by liszt85; 04/22/11 01:29 PM.
Originally Posted by SlatterFan
....what if no record existed of anecdotes about how Chopin played the works, including the mazurkas? How much of people's playing (and teaching) has been influenced by the notion of, "I've read/heard that these pieces are supposed to be..."....
One thing you often do...to your credit in my opinion, is voice scepticism when it comes to the interpretation of anecdotes....

There's anecdotes, and then there's anecdotes. smile
IMO the accumulated evidence on flexibility of rhythm in the mazurkas is undeniable, part of it being that we know the mazurkas were played in that way (uniformly, I think) by the great pianists who grew up shortly after Chopin's time, and I don't think they made it up.

....Even if we assume that Chopin played many or most of his mazurkas with a lot of rubato, who says that what worked well for Chopin the pianist will work well for us? Who says that we ought to try to imitate Chopin?

Well taken. It can be awful when someone tries to do it and it doesn't work -- although of course that's subjective. You feel Gorden's approaches in this regard didn't necessarily work, I think they worked wonderfully. And BTW, I wouldn't say that one should try to "imitate" Chopin but rather to "get" the style and do what works for him/her -- but I know that this isn't necessarily different than what you meant.

Regarding the tradition of the dance forms Chopin used, only one of the three, the kujawiak, was known for agogic rubato. The other two have steady danceable rhythms with shifting accents. So if anyone claims that historically mazurkas are "supposed to" have flexible rhythm (in a general sense, outside of prolonging the first beat), they must be reading or smoking some interesting stuff that I've missed!

I love how we're seeing discussion of the three different dances that are found in the Chopin "mazurkas." That's quite rare. The only time I've ever seen or heard it before was when I've talked about it in my recitals. smile

And as far as I know, what you said is right. But, as I'm sure you know, these mazurkas aren't exactly dances, they're stylized dances -- which of course doesn't prove that we should be flexible with the rhythm, but it does mean that the absence of such flexibility in the actual dances doesn't automatically apply to the Chopin pieces. You're right, though, that we can't look to the actual dances for support for the flexibility.

....I sort of lost sight of what the pieces were. I noticed that much of how I was playing didn't follow the note values, and so I "fixed" it. And then at the competition, the head judge laughed as he was going over the mazurkas with me, wondering what the heck I was doing....
For one thing, there's a massive difference between someone playing in almost perfectly steady tempo in an artificially controlled way, out of a sense of awkwardness and guilt that to do otherwise is "wrong"... and someone who does so with no feeling of restriction whatsoever....

I didn't "fix" it that badly! I'm not talking about having played it in strict rhythm. In fact I think there's a good chance that the rhythms of my mazurkas at that event would be to your liking. It just so happened that those judges leaned toward the more flexible approach that I like also (when I'm not being blinded by trying to be 'good'). smile

P.S. About your post below this one: I think I agree about the mazurka within the polonaise, and maybe that's also part of why the judges didn't find the same problem with my playing of it. I don't want to go through it now in the detail that you mentioned because I'm getting ready to perform it again and that kind of discussion could bollix me up....

Last edited by Mark_C; 04/22/11 03:01 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
In many of the mazurkas, excluding a few phrase endings and tempo changes for new sections, the longest beat and the shortest beat could be within 10% of each other and listeners would feel plenty of flexibility and freedom....

I'm not sure about the math ha ....but my gut impression (and speaking as someone who is pretty numerate) smile is that I would need the percent to be higher.

at the competition, the head judge laughed as he was going over the mazurkas with me, wondering what the heck I was doing, since my other pieces showed flexible rhythms but ironically the mazurkas didn't. And funnily, the mazurka in the F# minor Polonaise didn't suffer from this -- because, since it's hidden in the middle of another piece, I hadn't gone over it with that same fine-toothed comb. smile

Where would you want any more than very subtle fluctuations in the mazurka in the middle of Op.44? Apart from the first beats of bars 169, 173, 228, and 232, which seem natural moments of hesitation, I think a fairly steady rhythm with only slight fluctuations works beautifully. Unless someone told me that I "ought to" play with more rubato, the thought would never occur to me. My take is that it is very beautifully understated music, where the restlessness lies beneath the surface and stays beneath the surface, until m.245.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
It stops being speculation when there is empirical evidence of the presence of whatever you accuse people of "speculating" on. If we had a better search function, I would have dug up all those posts I'm referring to just to show you what I mean (though I suspect you already know).
If someone has seven posts about same thing, that means there is some problem with that poster, something they "don't like about themselves" causing them to repeat this?

Using that criteria, almost every PW poster would have some hidden problem.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
If someone has seven posts about same thing, that means there is some problem with that poster, something they "don't like about themselves" causing them to repeat this?

Using that criteria, almost every PW poster would have some hidden problem.

When its a personal attack launched against another PW member, and when the issue is something that the other 54,999 PW members are not bothered about and haven't felt the need to raise, yes, it hints at a hidden problem. If you want to continue this silly exchange, feel free to shoot me a PM. Spare these good people, shall we?

If you want to continue this silly exchange, feel free to shoot me a PM. Spare these good people, shall we?
So why didn't you PM me? Why did you continue the silly exchange? Why didn't you spare these good people?(Feel free to PM me.)

If I have a hidden problem, maybe I should find a shrink in NYC to help me find it, preferably a person I could relate to with a common interest like piano?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/22/11 04:46 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
....what if no record existed of anecdotes about how Chopin played the works, including the mazurkas? How much of people's playing (and teaching) has been influenced by the notion of, "I've read/heard that these pieces are supposed to be..."....
One thing you often do....is voice scepticism when it comes to the interpretation of anecdotes....

There's anecdotes, and then there's anecdotes. smile
IMO the accumulated evidence on flexibility of rhythm in the mazurkas is undeniable. Part of the 'evidence' is that we know that the mazurkas were played in that way (uniformly, I think) by the great pianists who grew up shortly after Chopin's time, and I don't think they made it up.

When you say "we know", I am guessing you must mean we know from actual recordings, in which case the pianists involved must at best have been pupils of pupils of Chopin. My understanding is that by 1880 lots of myths and distortions had already set in, and a tradition of Chopin performance had never really been established. Just isolated people like Dubois and Czartoryska, and a couple of pupils in conservatoires doing their best to spread the word. The one guy in a position to exert a big influence was Mikuli, in his collected Chopin edition of 1879-1880, and in his introductory remarks he said:

...Chopin the pianist has remained almost unknown; what is worse, an entirely false impression of him ... has been generally circulated.
A virile, noble energy -- energy without rawness -- lent an overwhelming effect to the appropriate passages, just as elsewhere he could enrapture the listener through the tenderness -- tenderness without affectation -- of his soulful renditions. With all his intense personal warmth, his playing was nevertheless always moderate, chaste, refined, and occasionally even austerely reserved.

Unfortunately, in the trend of modern pianism, these fine distinctions, like so many others belonging to an ideal art movement, are thrown into the attic of "superseded ideas" that hinder progress, and a naked display of strength, not considering the capacity of the instrument, not even striving for the beauty of the sound to be shaped, today passes for large tone and energetic expression!

Admittedly he doesn't touch on rubato specifically there, but he still says to me overall, between the lines, "Nearly all of you are playing Chopin wrong nowadays! Stop screwing with my beloved master's music!" A frustrated voice in the wilderness.

My impression of the generation of 1880-1910 was that it was a lot about progress and grandeur and ego and believing that humanity had almost reached the peak of civilization, had barely anything new to learn from science, and was invincible (hence the severe shock of the great Titanic sinking in 1912 - invincible, not). The performer was more important than the music most of the time, and very early recordings reflect that tremendous freedom (in many cases I'd say indulgence!) was the order of the day (with happy exceptions such as the relatively chaste Saint-Säens and Hofmann, and freer but still balanced souls like Rachmaninoff and Paderewski). With none of Chopin's pupils achieving lasting careers to be heard widely beyond his death, and with so much time having passed, and accelerating change in every aspect of society including the arts, I think Chopin performance tradition would have been swamped along the way. If decent quality recording had existed in 1870 and had captured Czartoryska or Dubois playing Chopin, well, that would really be something.

In short, sure I believe Chopin played with distinctive rubato, perhaps especially in some of his mazurkas, but I do not believe that golden era recordings of pupils of pupils reveal very much if anything of the "real Chopin".

I didn't "fix" it that badly! I'm not talking about having played it in strict rhythm. In fact I think there's a good chance that the rhythms of my mazurkas at that event would be to your liking. It just so happened that those judges seem to lean toward the more flexible approach that I like also (when I'm not being blinded by trying to be 'good'). smile

Oh, sorry! Yes. And - confession time - I am still annoyed that around 24 years ago an examiner marked down my Chopin Op.64 #3 for not having flexible enough rhythm! blush

(Used to post as SlatterFan)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

If I have a hidden problem, maybe I should find a psychiatrist in NYC to help me find it, preferably a person I could relate to with a common interest like piano?

Actually it has occurred to me on more than one occasion that you and our favorite NYC psychiatrist should get together for coffee and have a nice chat !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
When someone over the age of 50 fills their posts with smileys, dunnos, y'alls, etc., it just looks silly IMO. Then there's the endless hemming and hawing on every other sentence. But most of all the need to constantly say everything on one's mind no matter how insignificant.

I agree with much of what you say, except the last sentence. My Dad (still alive at 91) always says the things in others that bug us the most are usually things we dislike in ourselves.
Maybe, but I would have 70,000+ posts by now if I posted at Mark's rate.

Those post numbers really gnaw at you don't they? Get a hobby.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Then everything must be funny to you because you use the smile and haha endlessly. Often to laugh at your own jokes.

Honestly, why do you care? Maybe he really IS a loon and is laughing constantly at what he reads here and at that which he has to say...SO WHAT??? How, exactly, does that affect you? It doesn't in any way, shape, or form and why doesn't it affect you? Because there's an IGNORE BUTTON. Learn to use it, if you don't like what's presented.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by stores

Honestly, why do you care? Maybe he really IS a loon and is laughing constantly at what he reads here and at that which he has to say...SO WHAT??? How, exactly, does that affect you? It doesn't in any way, shape, or form and why doesn't it affect you? Because there's an IGNORE BUTTON. Learn to use it, if you don't like what's presented.
Why do you care that I care?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Why do you care that I care?

Never answer a question with a question (unless, of course, you have no sound answer).

♪ ≠ $

Never answer a question with a question (unless, of course, you have no sound answer).
Never not answer a question(unless, of course, you have no answer)

Edward Albee might understand the conversation as it has evolved here over the last page or so ....

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Edward Albee might understand the conversation as it has evolved here over the last page or so ....

[Linked Image] ...or Luigi Pirandello!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Because there's an IGNORE BUTTON. Learn to use it, if you don't like what's presented.

Where is this IGNORE button? I can't see it anywhere.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
Because there's an IGNORE BUTTON. Learn to use it, if you don't like what's presented.

Where is this IGNORE button? I can't see it anywhere.

You have to go to a person's profile and click on "Ignore this user"...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

It's also reminded me of Elliott Carter. Different clusters of instruments talking to each other within the cluster, without apparent global coordination....

-J

IMO the accumulated evidence on flexibility of rhythm in the mazurkas is undeniable. Part of the 'evidence' is that we know that the mazurkas were played in that way (uniformly, I think) by the great pianists who grew up shortly after Chopin's time....

When you say "we know", I am guessing you must mean we know from actual recordings, in which case the pianists involved must at best have been pupils of pupils of Chopin. My understanding is that by 1880 lots of myths and distortions had already set in....

Not just "pupils or pupils of Chopin," but pupils of those who were around at Chopin's time; and moreover, I don't think it depends on who they studied with, because they absorbed what was "in the air" at the time, which is my main point about them. But that's just 'details'; my main answer to what you said is:

TRUE. As I said, it's "part of the 'evidence.'" If it weren't for what you just said, which I realized....

-- It wouldn't be just part of the "evidence," it would be total and slam-dunk, in itself. And....

-- I wouldn't have put "evidence" in quotes. ha

P.S. To the member or two who wondered: Yes indeed, I find just about everything amusing -- both here and in the world.
Of course there are some things that are extremely serious, and no smiling- or laughing-matter at all. I could hardly be in my field if I didn't think so.
But just about everything else I find a hoot. smile

P.P.S. to Slatter: Funny that you and I are the only ones who are still on-topic.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission