2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Originally Posted by Josh_P
Oh I can handle the Chopin etudes, I just don't really want to, except perhaps the Ocean.

I never went to conservatory but my understanding is that it is pretty much standard repertoire to have a handful of the more challenging Chopin Etudes under your belt. I'e looked at the entry requirements for several conservatories and have seen a selection of Chopin Etudes as part of the entrance exam.

Do you prefer Classical era music to Romantic era? If so, you may need to broaden your repertoire to more modern keyboard music since a lot has changed in the last 200+ years since the close of the Classical era. I'm not in to Classical era music as much but I know there are neo-Classical composers out there who are writing stuff that is really modern but has a Mozart-esque feel to it.

You haven't discussed your Mozart repertoire. What is it? If you're not going to play anything from Romantic era (and yes, that would mean Chopin) then you're going to really have to beef up on Mozart, not just Beethoven.

Also in response to my weird background. I really do. For years the only composer I did was bartok and Schumann. Then my next teacher, Mozart, Schumann, and Beethoven. Now my new teacher is making me do Bach, which is really new to me, and a whole lot of different composers. However I think Schumann is my best composer, as I grew up with him. Recently I fell in love with the WTC and learned a few of my fav's. I heart the C major, but my fugue in that one sucks. My d minor from book 1 is really good and my F# minor is pretty good from book 2. Yay!!!

I think you need to start listening to more music on your own. Your plenty old enough to have a well-developed and independent taste that is not driven by your piano teacher's assignments. The only way to develop your own tastes is going to be to listen to everything you can get your hands on. I recommend you spend at least 2 hours a day listening to new piano works from as wide a spectrum as possible. Here's some examples of some unusual works/composers... ultimately, you'll have to do your own digging to find what you like.

Charles-Valentin Alkan

Alexander Scriabin

Sofia Gubaidulina

Of course, you're not going to begin playing these pieces at your current level but if you're not listening to them you can't know where you're going to expand your technique. You're at an age where the bar really starts to raise. You might be better than all your peers but that doesn't really mean anything. What matters is that you have to start owning your own development, this means you have to start thinking about thinking for yourself independent of your parents or piano teacher. If you don't start now, then by the time your trying to get entrance to a conservatory you're just going to be playing by rote. You might even be technically really good but if you want to make a living in the entertainment industry it's not good enough to just be "technically really good" you have to develop into a performer.

Clayton -

My listening obsessions:
Kurt Atterberg - Piano Concerto in Bb
Claude Debussy - Cello Sonata
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
oh what a tangled web we weave. Sigh...

T
T
Originally Posted by Josh_P
Fantasie Impromptu is one of the easier pieces that Chopin wrote. My friend who is this super genius, played the piece after her first year. So that probably take us normal folk about 3 years to get to the level. I've sight read it, and it is not hard. A few awkward places but that is about it. Besides it is not the best of Chopin. Not his Piano Concerto 1 or something.

Also it is not a song but a piece. (I know, not this again.) But a song has a very lyrical line and usually has words. (Mendelssohn's Song without Words smile ) A piece is everything else.

Wow. I am about to knock on the door of my third year of playing piano, and I am not even close to the skill level to play Fantaisie Impromptu. It is among my favorite pieces by Chopin, and like I said, it kinda was the piece that jump-started me into piano. It inspired me to want to play. I was amazed by it's brilliance. The Rondo's also take my breath away. Well. I don't know how, but your friend must have pushed herself very hard to get to Fantaisie Impromptu in a year. I wish I had her brains and practice strategies at hand. Oh well, I will learn at my own pace. I am happy with it.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission