2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 140 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 139 140
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks guys. This tune's not in my fakebook. I hear the triplets, I just wasn't feeling that energetic this afternoon. smile

The blues tune in this lesson is a real treat.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Ten
AL is perfect for your voice. That's great about your guitar lessons. You will love singing out Charlie Christian's chord shapes.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Dave,

Which Tatum version of Tenderly is it that we listened to last Sunday? I've been digging around and each one he plays is totally different. I've never heard anyone play the same tune over and over again with such variety...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ah!
I found it.
The complete Capitol recordings Vol2. In D. Amazing stuff.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi Ten
AL is perfect for your voice. That's great about your guitar lessons. You will love singing out Charlie Christian's chord shapes.

I admit, I hadn't heard of him. I have much to learn...

I managed to scrape some time to record. I find it valuable to record and 'complete' a lesson, but some of this is quite excruciating to listen to, so please, no one is to feel obliged!

Lesson 5, Sweet and Low:
http://www.box.net/shared/j17q5krilv

Sugar blues, mistakes, retakes and all:
http://www.box.net/shared/99g24srci9

Hanon 5.
http://www.box.net/shared/mvjol9ovoh
I thought it would be interesting to listen to what I do at different speeds. I deleted random bits to make it marginally less boring to listen to. If anyone wants the full 1o minutes, just shout! I start off at about 100 and finish up at about 180, but there's hardly any swing there.

Arps over ii-V-I in D:
http://www.box.net/shared/282bzdrxzc
I manage this with the metronome now, though only very slow, and only in easy keys.

One thing I noticed, going through this pretty much as directed in the book, is that the further I go, the less keen I am so sing while playing. I don't mind singing afterward, as an exercise. But when I feel like my playing is worth listening to, I don't want to spoil it with my voice.

How's everyone else doing?

Happy passover everyone! Hoping the Angel of Death passes right over! laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Ten,

Lesson 5 sounds really good. The hanons are real fast and the tunes accurate. I think you're doing really great!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
what we listened to was the Complete Capitol Recordings

DF

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for listening Knotty. I will keep going. Listening to the tunes, I realised I kept pushing the metronome.

When I play, I want a drummer.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I realised I kept pushing the metronome
That's good, that's what you gotta do. Keep pushing it a click once in a while. That's how you push the limit.

>> When I play, I want a drummer.
Get a drumset. Drummers follow wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Knotty
I just played Art Tatum's Tenderly on you-tube as I didn't know it. It sounds very very difficult. What are you working on ?

Hi Ten
The first time I had heard of Charlie Christian was on the Ken Burns DVD.
One of the most enjoyable and helpful things about the solos that you are singing in JOI, is that these solos take you through the different jazz eras.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Hey Knotty
I just played Art Tatum's Tenderly on you-tube as I didn't know it. It sounds very very difficult. What are you working on ?

Well, I was working on an arrangement of Tenderly. And then I heard Tatum play it. It's difficult in every possible level. Maybe I can steal of reharm or two...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by knotty

Get a drumset. Drummers follow wink

Actually, there is one upstairs. It belongs to my son. But the piano is in the living room. It's not impossible to lug the drums downstairs, but it's a hassle, and would take a lot of arranging. I would still need a drummer. Maybe I'll look for one when I have something decent by way of improvising to contribute. I can't ask a drummer to get excited about a mere 12 bars.

My husband already has to accept that he shares the living room with a piano, 4 guitars 2 amps and a music stand. I think a drumset would about send him over the edge.

Completing 5 lessons out of 26 feels like a bit of a milestone. I thought rather than plough on with lesson 6 I'd take a week to revisit the previous ones. Maybe write something for Autumn leaves. Not to mention the guitar practice.

Custard, that looks like an interesting documentary. I might put it on my DVD rental list.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Ten,

Unless you can provide a solid bass lines, drummers struggle without a bass player.
My drum set is downstairs and I move it in the living room twice a week. It takes a few minutes.
Also depending on the set, the cymbals, the player and the piano, it may totally overpower the piano, perhaps you're already using towels and such.

So I'd say wait until you're comfortable soloing on a few easy tunes, then get both bass and drums at the same time. Maybe a guitarist, they can provide a lot of support if they play well enough.

About the joi lessons, I would move on to lesson 6. However, when you have time, you should play or sing the earlier tunes.
Wait until lesson 13 or so before you start the composition on autumn leaves. It will pay off better that way. At the pace you're moving at, it's about a couple of months.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Ten
That's great that you're thinking about having a band.
How's your birthday list ? "Jazz. A Film by Ken Burns" would be nice to add to your list. I doubt you can rent the 10 part series. I watched it last year and I plan to watch it again this year.
It's narrated by Wynton Marsalis which is great but obviously has Wynton's biases. Too much time on Dave Brubeck, as talented and lovely as Dave Brubeck is. And no time on Bill Evans except for a passing comment.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

About the joi lessons, I would move on to lesson 6. However, when you have time, you should play or sing the earlier tunes.
Wait until lesson 13 or so before you start the composition on autumn leaves. It will pay off better that way. At the pace you're moving at, it's about a couple of months.

Why? What is it about lesson 13? Just curious.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I believe that's when Dave thinks people are ready to move on to that step. I think that's more or less when I started.
After a dozen or so tunes, you start compositions, after a dozen compositions, you start improv. After that, you start arranging. That's more or less the road ahead.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
arranging you can start after you finish the chord lists..

DF

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by davefrank
arranging you can start after you finish the chord lists..

DF

Got it. I imagine there's still a few chords to learn after lesson 13. smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hey Ten
That's great that you're thinking about having a band.
How's your birthday list ? "Jazz. A Film by Ken Burns" would be nice to add to your list. I doubt you can rent the 10 part series. I watched it last year and I plan to watch it again this year.
It's narrated by Wynton Marsalis which is great but obviously has Wynton's biases. Too much time on Dave Brubeck, as talented and lovely as Dave Brubeck is. And no time on Bill Evans except for a passing comment.

Hi Custard,

I just added it to the rental list. They will come one at a time, we've done this before. The reviews say it focusses just on the bebop era - and Dave Brubeck. Fine, I'll finish knowing more than I did before.

For my birthday I'm getting guitar lessons and I'm asking for connecting linear harmony by Bert Ligon - this has been on my list for ages. Any more and I'll need to remortgage the house.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Unless you can provide a solid bass lines, drummers struggle without a bass player.
My drum set is downstairs and I move it in the living room twice a week. It takes a few minutes.
Also depending on the set, the cymbals, the player and the piano, it may totally overpower the piano, perhaps you're already using towels and such.

So I'd say wait until you're comfortable soloing on a few easy tunes, then get both bass and drums at the same time. Maybe a guitarist, they can provide a lot of support if they play well enough.

That's interesting. I'm certainly not ready for the trio. But for the future, if there's to be a bassist we could probably squeeze him in the kitchen and communicate by webcam. And if the drums are louder than the piano, then I'll need to rent a hotel room for my husband for a few hours. Still, it'll be worth it. There are quite a few embassies in Edinburgh...

You got any more gigs booked?

Page 32 of 140 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission