2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
My roommate let me borrow his music history textbook for the semester. In exchange, he asked me to compose a piece for his Junior saxophone recital, a intermediate level piece for saxophone quartet. I've written for saxophone before but never for a sax quartet (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) and I don't really know much about the musical idiom of the group. I'm trying to find music on youtube to study, but I'd love it if any of you knew of any great sax quartet music I could listen to!

Secondly, I could also use a whole bunch of pieces to listen to for symphonic wind band. I'm beginning a huge project for the symphonic band at my college and the more music I have to listen to, the better. Also, do any of you veteran composers have any tips for writing for either of these ensembles? They're both quite new to me and I'd love to hear any constructive input regarding composition for them! Thanks smile

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Whatever the textbooks may say about range, keep them between written middle C and the C two octaves higher. If tempted to write higher, get your room-mate to demonstrate the sound.

You may find that the acedemic culture of your institution requires a new composition to "explore the possibilities" of the instruments rather than just writing music. But go easy on the unusual playing techniques and, again, get a player to demonstrate.

Search YouTube for "saxophone quartet". Also http://youtu.be/oJHeDcuvhzs (and other versions of the same tune)

OP Offline
Thanks! I know I could write something fairly basic without exploring the possibilities of saxophone sound, but what I don't want to do is write a piece that could be played by any quartet. I'm not writing for string quartet, I'm writing for sax quartet, and I want to utilize the specific timbre of the instruments at least a bit. But I certainly don't want to go overboard! Thanks for the link smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A friend of mine is in a professional sax quartet - check them out, they're incredible, and the music they have really shows off what a sax quartet can do:

http://zzyzxquartet.com/

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
OP Offline
Thanks so much! This is some great music to listen to, and it sounds very new. Searching "sax quartet" on youtube, almost all the results were either jazz, or arrangements of Bach for the ensemble. This is unique! Thanks for the link.

Here's another composer seconding the thanks, Kreisler! Who knew a sax quartet could sound so intriguing? Both the performances and pieces were a pleasure to listen to.

"Where words fail, music speaks." --Hans Christian Andersen

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission