Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1666426 - 04/25/11 05:16 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Mark, I would be extremely cautious buying a newly introduced piano from someone on ebay. You of course are free to ignore my advice.

Perhaps someone here has experience with this company in Florida. Since the piano is new one would assume this is an official Yamaha dealer. Is it?

What would the same piano cost in the UK from a Yamaha dealer? I ask because I believe my price in the Netherlands was roughly the same number amount ignoring the currency. The piano, I believe, sells for 20,000 and the typical street price is between 14,000 and 15,000. (I paid € 14,875.) That Florida price is $13,895.

You're a braver man than I if you're willing to buy a new piano from a company in Florida through an ebay link and have it shipped to the UK.

I really want to hear the follow up on this purchase.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1666434 - 04/25/11 05:28 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
It might not be such a risk. Musicland has been on eBay since June of 2008 and has a feedback rating of 344 with 94% positives. I'd typically like to see more than 94%, but it seems that they have shipped a number of pianos to buyers with high feedback ratings, so it might be less risky than it seems. At least it's not someone who just joined eBay and has a feedback rating of 2! That's something to avoid!

I didn't like the comment musicland made in response to one of the neg feedback statements. I think that comment alone would make me not want to do business with him, but that's just me. I don't want to even put a link to it, but if you go to eBay and do a search for the item number you can see musicland's feedback history and find that comment.

#1666454 - 04/25/11 05:53 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Dave Horne]
Marky Mark Offline

Loc: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
Mark, I would be extremely cautious buying a newly introduced piano from someone on ebay. You of course are free to ignore my advice.

Perhaps someone here has experience with this company in Florida. Since the piano is new one would assume this is an official Yamaha dealer. Is it?

What would the same piano cost in the UK from a Yamaha dealer? I ask because I believe my price in the Netherlands was roughly the same number amount ignoring the currency. The piano, I believe, sells for 20,000 and the typical street price is between 14,000 and 15,000. (I paid € 14,875.) That Florida price is $13,895.

You're a braver man than I if you're willing to buy a new piano from a company in Florida through an ebay link and have it shipped to the UK.

I really want to hear the follow up on this purchase.

Hi Dave, I believe the UK cost for one of these new is around £12k... I am an expereienced ebay user, and will do several company checks before going ahead. I also have a contact within Fedex to cover shipping...

I have purchased several items before from the US and Ebay, all without any hassle, but as i said i "do" do checks before comitting....

I am wondering however what the roadmap is for this product given it was released what back in 2009... Last thing i want to do is purchase it and find a new model is released next month smile

#1666463 - 04/25/11 06:09 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Mark, when my N3 was delivered it had an accident on the truck that I witnessed . A metal hook from the delivery truck pierced the cardboard packaging but fortunately did not come in contact with the piano. Had the piano been damaged I'm certain the dealer would have made good. Had they not made good, I would have called the Yamaha distributor in Holland and screamed.

What recourse would you have with Yamaha and the 'store' in Florida in a similar situation?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1666473 - 04/25/11 06:26 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Dave Horne]
Marky Mark Offline

I'd ensure the item was fully insured before transportation. I'd probably pay for it on mastercard which also gives further protection...

#1666475 - 04/25/11 06:30 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Dave Horne]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I would be extremely cautious buying a newly introduced piano from someone on ebay. You of course are free to ignore my advice.
I'll second that. Musicland has been selling "new" Clavinovas on ebay for a while now. They're listed as being surplus stock from distressed piano dealers.

As such, I wondered if these pianos would carry the standard Yamaha warranty. (Yamaha only warrants pianos bought through legitimate, authorized channels.)

So I sent them a message, asking for specifics. Their answer was very evasive. DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

As for their 94% rating ... that's far beyond my danger point. Since buyers are reluctant to give negative feedback for fear of seller retaliation, I think the negatives may be understated. I look askance at any dealer with less than 99% positive, and I absolutely won't buy from one at 98% or less. So the 94% rating on musicland takes them out the running for me.

#1666482 - 04/25/11 06:52 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Warranties on these instruments are county/region specific.
You will have no warranty coverage in the UK of an instrument shipped grey market from the states, IIANM.

#1666561 - 04/25/11 09:58 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: MacMacMac]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Quote:
Since buyers are reluctant to give negative feedback for fear of seller retaliation, I think the negatives may be understated.

Sellers can't retaliate since ebay changed the rules on sellers leaving feedback (They can only leave positive feedback now)

That was introduced a year or so ago to stop that retaliation practice of negative for negative.

Still worth double, triple, quadruple checking sellers with expensive merchandise!

Edited by starbug (04/25/11 09:59 PM)

#1667586 - 04/27/11 06:00 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: starbug]
Marky Mark Offline

Right, im off this week so had time to nip into harrods to try the RG3F and RG1F. Loved the feel and tone, didnt like the build quality of the RG1F, the Roland Rep admitted they didnt sell "a lot of RG1's" as most people prefer the gloss black look !..

BTW, It appears the RG1&3F are nearing product end of life - next year the VGrand features\tone will be upgraded into the mid-end models. (this came from the Rep).. They are getting the first UK VGrand in just over a months time price around 17k... Not that i wish to pay 17k!

Harrods do not stock Yamaha digital's due to Rolands exclusivity,but he mentioned Chappels have the N3 etc....

Off to Chappels, no N3 on display - another due in next week, but they did have an N2..Again, loved the quality\finish and touch and i'd say was probably a fraction lighter than the Roland N3....

Ideally i'd have liked to have test both "side by side" so to speak, but again i couldnt fault the sound either....

I've found someone has an N3 for sale in the UK via another forumn so i've put an offer in, but wont get to hear until next week.....

#1667840 - 04/28/11 04:37 AM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Mark, I know I suggested trying the N1 earlier in this thread. Has anyone here seen one in person? I'm asking because I'd like to know if the back of the piano is finished or if the piano is meant to be placed against the wall.

None of the photos at Yamaha's site (that I can find) show the backside of the cabinet.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1667842 - 04/28/11 04:42 AM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I thought I had spotted one at a funeral I attended recently, but it turned out it was just the coffin. grin

#1668158 - 04/28/11 05:37 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
Tweedpipe Offline

Originally Posted By: Marky Mark
Right, im off this week so had time to nip into harrods to try the RG3F and RG1F. Loved the feel and tone, didnt like the build quality of the RG1F, the Roland Rep admitted they didnt sell "a lot of RG1's" as most people prefer the gloss black look !..

BTW, It appears the RG1&3F are nearing product end of life - next year the VGrand features\tone will be upgraded into the mid-end models. (this came from the Rep).. They are getting the first UK VGrand in just over a months time price around 17k... Not that i wish to pay 17k!

Harrods do not stock Yamaha digital's due to Rolands exclusivity,but he mentioned Chappels have the N3 etc....

Off to Chappels, no N3 on display - another due in next week, but they did have an N2..Again, loved the quality\finish and touch and i'd say was probably a fraction lighter than the Roland N3....

Ideally i'd have liked to have test both "side by side" so to speak, but again i couldnt fault the sound either....

I've found someone has an N3 for sale in the UK via another forumn so i've put an offer in, but wont get to hear until next week.....

I saw the same ad, and at the asking price I wouldn't hesitate further if hunting for an Avant Grand.
Located in Europe, I've been wanting to try one since last year but unable to find one at any dealer within a 600 mile drive. Will be in Montreal in a few weeks time and have located a dealer who normally has one on display. Should be interesting for a 'test drive'.
The Unicorns

------------------------------

#1672712 - 05/06/11 06:42 PM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Marky Mark]
Marky Mark Offline

Ok, One has been sourced at a very very good price, 4 months old from new, and yes it was the one advertised on the other forum.. View next Saturday, and shipped the following week - i cant wait smile

#1672903 - 05/07/11 05:55 AM Re: Help. Avant Grand N3 or RG3 ????? What "really" is the best [Re: Dave Horne]
Auver Online   content

Loc: Norway
Mark, I know I suggested trying the N1 earlier in this thread. Has anyone here seen one in person? I'm asking because I'd like to know if the back of the piano is finished or if the piano is meant to be placed against the wall.

None of the photos at Yamaha's site (that I can find) show the backside of the cabinet.

I tried it at a local youth club not fram from here. You do not have to place it against a wall. Didn't realize it was an N1 before after I had played though. I thought the keys were too heavy, and the lows too massive and the highs too dull.

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-811
Nord Piano 88

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
129 registered (alfredo capurso, ando, anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, 32 invisible), 1532 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission