2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I just discovered that my little digital camera will also record video! laugh

And here is the backstory to this recording...

Angelia P and I have had some discussions behind the scenes about the relative merits of live performance vs. edited recording art. I have been depending on my editing skills to create pretty little pieces that make me sound better than I really am. She prevailed upon me to promise to do a performance, straight through, no edits.

I have been playing with this little Kuhlau piece for a while, but until bringing it to Angelina's attention, had never taken it seriously. She heard an early version of it and said, "It sounds like you haven't quite decided on your phrasing, yet. And by the way, don't you have anything better to do?" Well, ok, that second sentence was a paraphrase, but, yeah, I know it's not Mozart!

Still, I am trying to make something of this piece, and am trying to do so without using any pedal.

For this, my first "live" Piano World performance, I am reminded of one of my firsts posts in Pianist Corner regarding performance anxiety, in which I invoked Ferdinand Reis, a student of Beethoven, with this quote:

"When I left out something in a passage, a note or a skip, which in many cases he wished to have specially emphasized, or struck a wrong key, he seldom said anything; yet when I was at fault with regard to the expression, the crescendi or matters of that kind, or in the character of the piece, he would grow angry. Mistakes of the other kind, he said, were due to chance; but these last resulted from want of knowledge, feeling or attention. He himself often made mistakes of the first kind, even when playing in public." (Beethoven: Impressions by his contemporaries, O.G. Sonneck, ed. c1967, of 1926.)

To which Angelina replied,

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
[...]Instant forgiveness - that's what has to happen if you miss something. Don't dwell on it, forgive yourself, and continue being inspired while you perform. [...]

Since I did not ever go to music school, I submit this to you, my Piano World jury. Furthermore, I dedicate this to all my Piano World friends who have exams and juries coming up, but specifically, I dedicate it to Angelina and Canonie, who have recently made public their pains and progresses with recital preparation and exams. Angelina and Canonie, this one's for you!:

YouTube:Kuhlau Sonatina in C, Op. 55, No. 1

Warm regards,
--Andy grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh well I'd better listen right away then.
(I can only hope that the doorbell rang during your Live recording, and that you couldn't edit it out but instead improvised around it and somehow included it in the piece. Hehe haha jk.)

Here goes...

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[...picks self of floor..]
Andy you are such a comedian! Even a simple performance of Kulau, I mean Kulau for goodness sake! - where are the laughs in Kulau? But you found them. I'm still laughing. Somehow it's funnier in a piece like this played at home for no live jury. Andy are you mocking the serious dedication of students who are trying to get everything perfect?
...Of course I know you are not! But this is good therapy all the same. I've just found out that I am going to perform for a small group of exam students on Tues (oh help) so this is timely.

So Andy, you did NOT practise instant forgiveness here. What you did is the opposite - just thought I'd better spell that out. It's amazing how distracting to the music it is to have mistakes (and the performer's negative reaction to them) highlighted in this way. The mistakes would hardly exist if you passed right over them in the way Angelina suggests.

What the performance longs for IMHO is more dynamic variation - then the mistakes would disappear in the unfolding of the musical drama that is the Kulau Sonatina (it's quite a nice one and I recognise it from childhood, I think the neighbours kids played it). Not sure if you'd bother to do it with this piece tho, you could learn some Mozart, or more Beethoven instead.

I hope you don't mind me saying that Andy (it could be the recording but this is the impression I got on my computer), but what it has shown me very clearly is that in preparing my Haydn for tuesday I need really strong commitment to the shape of the music, to strongly and convincingly perform, and to be committed to it during the performance. Oh and to pass straight over those mistakes with instant forgiveness. I have a tendency to perform apologetically when I think piece is not up to scratch. It won't be up to scratch yet, this is a performance class to get ready for exam later on. Mentally this is a challenge.

So yes, You have helped me in my journey-to-exam, thanks Andy. You're a real gem.

No editing - yeh right! the text is still editing, and it completely changed the performance to memorable and engaging. You are very talented but it is certainly not the spread of talents of the average pianist, you have many other weapons in your pockets that are every bit as valuable as perfectly even 16ths.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
K
kck Offline
K
LOL - love it! grin Encore.

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
Goodness, that was hilarious! Thank you for being so transparent and allowing us to laugh with you. grin

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
HAHAHA that just made my (rather idiotic) day WAY better.. thanks!! It was quite funny AND I could see you were trying not to laugh there for a while.. busted! Hahahh!

Btw, I really wrote that? Damn when will I start taking my own advice for a change?! God, I swear.......

Anyway. I'm really glad you did this! See, it ain't so bad.. =) At all! Keep playing!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Canonie
[
No editing - yeh right! the text is still editing, and it completely changed the performance to memorable and engaging. You are very talented but it is certainly not the spread of talents of the average pianist, you have many other weapons in your pockets that are every bit as valuable as perfectly even 16ths.

You bet Andy has "many other weapons" and that's what makes his contributions here so rich.

Actually, Andy, it was fun to finally see your magic fingers at work. Now there is absolutely no question that its been YOU playing in all of your prior posts - as opposed to a 10 year old prodigy on you tube !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
Now there is absolutely no question that its been YOU playing in all of your prior posts - as opposed to a 10 year old prodigy on you tube !! grin

Finally we actually see Cinnamon playing. Hey Cinnamon, you forgot to post your age in the youtube title! laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yeah it's great to see the Real Strongbear in action at last (we've seen still pics before).

I forgot to thank you for the dedication - thank you [Linked Image]
i wish my current sonate sounded as clean as this.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
That was great! If not instant forgiveness... why not embrace small flubs in a way that makes the performance even more enjoyable.

I'm with Canonie - I wish my current sonata was a clean as yours was here!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
[...]Btw, I really wrote that? Damn when will I start taking my own advice for a change?! God, I swear.......

Yes, you really wrote that. Really, really! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Andy,
Once again, your playing and repertoire is astounding! Great to see your hands in action on the Kuhlau. Encore!!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
HAHAHA that just made my (rather idiotic) day WAY better.. thanks!! It was quite funny AND I could see you were trying not to laugh there for a while.. busted! Hahahh![...]

P.S., Angelina--that little impish grin you saw for a moment was my normal self. I was actually enjoying playing those few measures... and then... oops. Well, art being a creative process, I had no idea that I was going to turn this clip into comedy until I dumped it into Movie Maker, and discovered all the neat stuff I could do with it! Once I got going, I thought I could send you and Canonie an encouraging message. smile

P.P.S., Thank you Glen, LimeFriday, LA, carey, Sarah, and kck for your kind words! This is very much a work in progress. I am 49.

And so,

P.P.P.S., Canonie, my response to you is next! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
[...]So Andy, you did NOT practise instant forgiveness here. [...] What the performance longs for IMHO is more dynamic variation - then the mistakes would disappear in the unfolding of the musical drama that is the Kulau Sonatina (it's quite a nice one and I recognise it from childhood, I think the neighbours kids played it). Not sure if you'd bother to do it with this piece tho, you could learn some Mozart, or more Beethoven instead.

I hope you don't mind me saying that Andy (it could be the recording but this is the impression I got on my computer), but what it has shown me very clearly is that in preparing my Haydn for tuesday I need really strong commitment to the shape of the music, to strongly and convincingly perform, and to be committed to it during the performance. Oh and to pass straight over those mistakes with instant forgiveness. I have a tendency to perform apologetically when I think piece is not up to scratch. It won't be up to scratch yet, this is a performance class to get ready for exam later on. Mentally this is a challenge.

So yes, You have helped me in my journey-to-exam, thanks Andy. [...]

My dear Canonie, you have helped me in my journey, as well, my friend! Because I have taken your comments to heart (indeed, I told you by PM how right you are!), I have given this another go. Like I wrote you, the expressive statement of this piece has eluded me! I hear dyanmics in my head, but still cannot get them to come out of my fingers just yet! I will not drop the Kuhlau for Mozart until I get it right! I'm treating this as a pre-requisite!

And so, I hope here to demonstrate a more positive attitude. But please be reminded, everyone, that change does not come easily--especially changes in attitude, and changing the way one talks to oneself... That takes just as much practice as working at the keyboard!

Kuhlau Sonatina in C, Op. 55, No. 1 (Take 2)

Yours truly,
--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Very pretty!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Loved the "Beethoven's housekeeper" joke! My practice room almost always looks like a bomb hit it, so I definitely empathize. laugh

I definitely think your dynamics are better on try 2! Something you might enjoy experimenting with is making your music "breathe." Along with dynamics, stretching climaxes or giving a little breather room between phrases can add expressivity to the music.

Keep up the wonderful work! I'm enjoying listening to your playing. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Exciting tempo increases laugh One very nice thing is that the pulse of the 2 movements now sound different enough. This certainly helps when both are in C major! My solution would have been to play the first movt slower - but you are a glutton for punishment and did everything faster.

There was a very nice lyrical moment at about 2.16 with a little rit.

I would love to have a set of flash cards with "comments" like yours for my performance class on tues - it would distract the audience hehe.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
I love these forums. This was awesome - thanks a ton for sharing!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission