2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Something I thought would be cool, would be a music notation software for Android. I'm always getting stuck somewhere with ideas in my head, but no paper to write it down on. :P

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
A
A
A cheep and efficient s/w is Geniesoft's Overture (successor or Cakewalk).
For publishing demanding tasks and additional features, use Encore or Finale. Keep in mind, the more powerful the software, the more expensive and time-demanding it is.
Also, the MIDI equipment you use will make a difference: true samples, polyphony, the resemblance to a real orchestra, and the settings, how to 'position' the instruments in space, and all the fine tunings to 'direct' the 'orchestra' to interpret your composition, are * very time demanding *, but really rewarding, if you are determined to produce a quality result.
If, like me, you do not master the sound potential of an orchestra, a good hw/sw equipment will help you immensely to improve your arrangment skills, provided you will be spending hours for a single bar on quite a few instruments only.
The 'popular' ones within http://www.myspace.com/havenotime/music are created in the 90s with a very low-end equipment (I just have no time to invest on composing anymore...)

good luck
ak

Last edited by Antonis Kyriazis; 04/26/11 05:09 AM.
T
TylerNB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
For some odd reason, Sibelius, the cheaper program, is better than Finale, the big program. And why is this? Simplicity. I heard that people have easier time learning Sibelius than Finale, and the funny thing is, I have both the programs, or I did, until my computer caught on fire and my motherborg fried! D:

Currently Working On:
Chopin Waltz in B Minor (Finished)
Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart (Finished)
Coming up:
Phantom of the Opera?
Certainly more Chopin(Valses and Mazurkas, maybe even a Prelude)
And yet another Bach piece
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Jolteon
Something I thought would be cool, would be a music notation software for Android. I'm always getting stuck somewhere with ideas in my head, but no paper to write it down on. :P

Funny you should say that. I've been in conversation with a number of developers about producing musical output in Android. Notation is all well and good, but most people needs some sort of audio feedback while they're working on ideas. I put some stuff on my web site about this aspect of it:

http://kevinboone.net/javamidi.html

Android does not make it easy to produce musical output at run-time, sadly.

I doubt there will ever be a Sibellius or Finale (or even Musescore) for Android -- it's just too limited in too many ways. But Tasks like writing a single line of melody, for example, should be straightforward.

Looking into this is on my to-do list, but my to-do list is pretty long smirk

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by TylerNB
For some odd reason, Sibelius, the cheaper program, is better than Finale, the big program.

To say that Sibelius is cheaper than Finale, while it may be true, is like saying that falling from the sixth floor is worse than falling from the ninth smile

B
B
Originally Posted by Jolteon

iPad is what you need, really. It's set up well for music apps, and Symphony Pro in particular has been a godsend for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission