2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Batuhan
Originally Posted by stores
Liszt Sonata ? Dont you mean unified and unnecessarily exaggerated version of Chopin's musical passages ?

Oh please. The Liszt is beyond Chopin in many ways.

comparison of a showman and poet thats ridiculous.

What does whether one is a showman and one a poet have to do with the music? The Liszt sonata is nothing BUT poetry.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

F
F
Originally Posted by fledgehog
My all-time favorite, however, has to be Garrick Ohlsson's performance, recently released on Bridge Records. massively underrated and VERY good, paired with the Liszt/Busoni "Ad Nos, Ad Salutarem Undam" fantasy and fugue.

He's playing it on his all-Liszt recital tour in 2011-12!

Yama B3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Liszt Sonata ? Dont you mean unified and unnecessarily exaggerated version of Chopin's musical passages ?

Oh please. The Liszt is beyond Chopin in many ways.

comparison of a showman and poet thats ridiculous.

You clearly don't know the piece. So ... shhhhhh.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
can't believe i forgot about this gem (unfortuantely not on any commercial releases) in my last post. Definitely one of my absolute favorites, by one of my favorite pianists:

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fledgehog
can't believe i forgot about this gem (unfortuantely not on any commercial releases) in my last post. Definitely one of my absolute favorites, by one of my favorite pianists:

Thanks for the link! Absolutely love many of his rhetorical ideas.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
For a different approach check this one out.
Only "Andante Sostenuto" though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhRmtIGLpU&feature=related

Last edited by Hakki; 04/24/11 05:21 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The only recording I have of the Liszt Sonata is that made by Pogorelich, and I may have listened to it - once. The Sonata has never appealed to me, so sitting down and comparing various recordings would seem somewhat of a long, tedious task, enhanced, no doubt, by my indifference to the work.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
The only recording I have of the Liszt Sonata is that made by Pogorelich, and I may have listened to it - once. The Sonata has never appealed to me, so sitting down and comparing various recordings would seem somewhat of a long, tedious task, enhanced, no doubt, by my indifference to the work.

Regards,

That would be difficult to do, yes. It would be difficult even for me to do, as someone who really likes the piece, but is not familiar with many various recordings of it.

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Regards,

That would be difficult to do, yes. It would be difficult even for me to do, as someone who really likes the piece, but is not familiar with many various recordings of it.
Which is why I always laugh a little when the reviewer at International Piano Magazine says something like "I listened to the 47 versions of Schumann's Fantasy presently available." And then he goes on to compare and contrast them all(most issues contain a comparitive review of all major performances of some major piano work)

Happy Easter OSK!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I don't know who I like....... a mix of many, I guess. But definitely not Argerich - wayyyyyy too fast to be comprehensive..

Angelina, I know you are not a big fan of Argerich, but I always thought you liked that recording?

True, Argerich is very fast, she takes on Liszt with a breathless abandon, it is hard not to admire her technical address. My piano teacher -in one of his more unbuttoned moments- told me that Argerich had sex with Liszt in that recording.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Nice to see you back. Hope you had a great Easter! I attended services at St. Mark's Cathedral this morning, the music was glorious, inspiring and impeccably performed.

Still, I miss the Anglican celebration in the UK.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jason, your teacher has quite a way with words! laugh Who are you studying with?
I love Argerich's performance of the Sonata-- all the sweep and passion, intensity and grandeur are there.

Sophia

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sophial
Jason, your teacher has quite a way with words! laugh Who are you studying with?
I love Argerich's performance of the Sonata-- all the sweep and passion, intensity and grandeur are there.

IMO, you are certainly correct. Nothing matches Argerich's white heat, and look at what she accomplished with the Schumann Fantasy! You need to have been in love to understand this...

My teacher once took me out to dinner at a rather posh London restaurant. After the second wine or so, he started to talk about Rudolf Serkin. I could just see that look in his eyes... he admired Serkin so much, there was the Brahms Bb, the Schumann Abegg, the Schubert D960, the Beethoven Op. 31#3, some Reger. It went on and on.

I have only heard Rudolf Serkin in recordings, my teacher said those never did him justice.

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Regards,

laugh You don't know if you've listened to it or not but you are sure that it has no appeal to you.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Regards,

Welcome back, I guess your penance is complete and a Happy Easter to you! And if you decide to go ahead with the Venezia e Napoli, please do post it in the Liszt e-cital.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
As for the Sonata, my favorite recording is Rubinsteins, though I don't like any one recording in it's entirety. Elements of Horowitz's (the early one), Pletnev, and Bolet's appeal to me greatly along with Polina Leschenko and Cyprien Katsaris. I nearly purchased Olssohns to see what the famed Chopin interpreter can do with real music. grin

Originally Posted by Damon
I nearly purchased Olssohns to see what the famed Chopin interpreter can do with real music. grin

O_o

well, it is worth purchasing if you ask me...:P

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Regards,

laugh You don't know if you've listened to it or not but you are sure that it has no appeal to you.

No, I have tried several times to listen to the Liszt Sonata without much success; that's one reason I haven't made any repeated attempts to become familiar with the recording I have.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I nearly purchased Olssohns to see what the famed Chopin interpreter can do with real music. grin

Ohlsson does a great job with real music! See for yourself:

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission