Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1665949 - 04/24/11 07:11 PM Impressive but not difficult piano pieces?
AaronL619 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I am not a very advanced pianist. I play the piano mainly for the enjoyment of myself not really to impress others. Though occasionally get asked to play for family, friends etc.
So I am asking suggestions for some new pieces that are basically easier to play than they sound that would impress/entertain listeners.

I am moving on to start my grade 6 soon but to give you an idea of my level here are a few pieces I can play:

Cecile Chaminade - Scarf Dance
Erik Satie - Gymnopedie no.1 & Gnossienne no.1
Clementi - sonatinas from op. 36
Gustav Lange - Blumedlied

Thanks

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1665956 - 04/24/11 07:24 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
The big daddy of them all (or mommy, if we don't want to be sexist about it) smile is almost too obvious to mention:

Fur Elise

It's trite, it's a cliche, it's all that.
But it is what it is. smile

Except in the most snobbish company ha it is indeed "impressive," and you can never go wrong with it.

#1665967 - 04/24/11 07:44 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
lyricmudra Offline

To follow up from Mark C, here is how Fur Elise is played so beautifully by Valentina Lisitsa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsDLGjMhFI

Edited by lyricmudra (04/24/11 07:45 PM)

#1665970 - 04/24/11 07:49 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: Mark_C]
AaronL619 Offline

Fur Elise.. I'm afraid I can already play that one!

It has never been one of my personal favourites so I don't play it that often. I know what you mean because it is one of the few classical pieces everyone is familiar with it is probably the type of piece my friends and family would like to hear smirk

#1665975 - 04/24/11 07:54 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not sure what's exactly on the Grade 6 (or which board you're referring to), but the Bach Inventions - while contrapuntal and containing their own difficulties - are very nice sounding pieces you could consider.

Many Schubert and Schumann waltzes at easier levels can give the impression of a very 'full' sound.

Kuhlau Sonatinas are another pool to draw from.

Can you give us more insight as to *what* you'd *want* to play?
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1665976 - 04/24/11 07:55 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: lyricmudra]
AaronL619 Offline

Originally Posted By: lyricmudra
To follow up from Mark C, here is how Fur Elise is played so beautifully by Valentina Lisitsa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsDLGjMhFI

Thanks that is a very lovely performance! She makes it so beautiful in comparison to how I would play it much faster and less..emotional!

#1665979 - 04/24/11 08:00 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
WinsomeAllegretto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bach prelude in F major from book I well tempered clavier. It's fast and people think it sound hard when I play it, but it's not very hard.

#1665990 - 04/24/11 08:13 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
mrscostco Offline

Loc: Texas
Many years ago I had this exact same need; my teacher at the time directed me to a book called "Applause." They have book 1 and book 2, and there's a matching CD available. I played many of them well into college; they were great little pieces to keep in your pocket for when people say, "Play something!" I enjoyed them very much.

Oops... after writing all that I see that Alfred now publishes a series called "Encore" which has the same idea. I feel kind of old. smile

Both of them appear to have multiple levels of difficulty in the same book; I remember being able to play from mine for several years.

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190

#1665993 - 04/24/11 08:18 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Clementi Opus 36 Sonatinas? JC Bach Sonatas?
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1666000 - 04/24/11 08:50 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City

Edited by pianoloverus (04/24/11 09:11 PM)

#1666001 - 04/24/11 08:56 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I have Applause book 1. (see mrscostco's note above) Lots of absolutely great stuff in it. Sound impressive, lots of fun to play, lots of basic technique employed. Great book. Highly recommended. I imagine book 2 is just as good but possibly more advanced?

#1666005 - 04/24/11 09:07 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: mrscostco]
AaronL619 Offline

Originally Posted By: mrscostco
Many years ago I had this exact same need; my teacher at the time directed me to a book called "Applause." They have book 1 and book 2, and there's a matching CD available. I played many of them well into college; they were great little pieces to keep in your pocket for when people say, "Play something!" I enjoyed them very much.

Oops... after writing all that I see that Alfred now publishes a series called "Encore" which has the same idea. I feel kind of old. smile

Both of them appear to have multiple levels of difficulty in the same book; I remember being able to play from mine for several years.

Thank you, I looked at the contents of these Applause books and there seems to be some excellent pieces there as I searched a few on youtube. I think I will download one o two of the pieces off imslp for now and get the book later on, it's always nicer to have a book than lots of sheets!

#1666011 - 04/24/11 09:30 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: pianoloverus]
AaronL619 Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Thank you for these lovely suggestions, all very nice pieces, not sure if I would be able to manage the one by MacDowell but as you say it might not be as hard as it sounds!

#1666038 - 04/24/11 10:47 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: leemax]
mrscostco Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: leemax
I have Applause book 1. (see mrscostco's note above) Lots of absolutely great stuff in it. Sound impressive, lots of fun to play, lots of basic technique employed. Great book. Highly recommended. I imagine book 2 is just as good but possibly more advanced?

I think the book 2 is a little more advanced. I found this list of the pieces in it. Not only were they great to perform, but the pieces themselves were memorable and so easy to listen to and remember. My book has long since fallen apart & disappeared, but I can still hear the pieces in my head.

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190

#1666109 - 04/25/11 03:18 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heller's "Warriors song"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTJI2d1CcI
Mozart Sonata K545 Mvt 1
Lots of Czerny......

#1666119 - 04/25/11 05:22 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
You'll always have a crowd around the piano when you start playing Scott Joplin's works. They're not extremely difficult once you memorize them and can look at your left hand.

Amazon - Joplin

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1666137 - 04/25/11 07:44 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Gould Offline

Loc: Earth
Rachmaniov's prelude in c# minor?

#1666149 - 04/25/11 08:24 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Delaware (slower/lower)
Prokofiev diabolique Op.4 No.4 sounds hard but really isn't all that bad.

il.youtube.com/​watch?v=JztFLBlpA4Q&feature=related

#1666226 - 04/25/11 11:39 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: Dave Horne]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
You'll always have a crowd around the piano when you start playing Scott Joplin's works.....

Especially little kids. smile

Y'all ever notice? It seems they immediately stop whatever they're doing and start smiling, laughing, and especially dancing.

#1666236 - 04/25/11 11:50 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Try Grieg's Piano Sonata, or Sibelius's Piano Sonata: they're a lot easier to play than they sound. And few people have ever heard them grin, unlike say, Grieg's Lyric Pieces (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is also flashy but easy).

For something more abrasive-sounding, try Bartok's Suite Op. 14, again easier than it sounds.

#1666240 - 04/25/11 11:54 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: bennevis]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: bennevis
....Grieg's Lyric Pieces (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is also flashy but easy)....

I dunno, to me it's hard even to read through, which most pieces aren't.

I love that piece. If I thought it were easy, I'd be playing it. smile

#1666249 - 04/25/11 11:58 AM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: Mark_C]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....Grieg's Lyric Pieces (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is also flashy but easy)....

I dunno, to me it's hard even to read through, which most pieces aren't.

I love that piece. If I thought it were easy, I'd be playing it. smile

I only played it because I didn't know it was hard grin.

Actually, I find it lies well under the fingers, unlike many other pieces I could name, though the notes on the pages can look daunting initially.

#1666251 - 04/25/11 12:01 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: bennevis]
Mark_C Offline

A friend plays the piece. Whenever I see him, I demand it. ha

#1666291 - 04/25/11 01:05 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: bennevis]
AaronL619 Offline

Try Grieg's Piano Sonata, or Sibelius's Piano Sonata: they're a lot easier to play than they sound. And few people have ever heard them grin, unlike say, Grieg's Lyric Pieces (Wedding Day at Troldhaugen is also flashy but easy).

For something more abrasive-sounding, try Bartok's Suite Op. 14, again easier than it sounds.

Thank you for these suggestions, going to listen to the sonatas on youtube now smile

Wedding Day at Troldhaugen I actually hadn't heard of this piece until about 2 weeks ago when my mother heard the piece on a 'Royal Wedding Collection' CD that she got free with a newspaper and demanded that I learn to play it.. I took one look at the sheets and filed them away into my ring binder that I have titled "Music I cannot play and probably never will be able to play"!
Though as you say it might not be as hard as it looks but it definitely looks too hard for me.. well my mother would be delighted if I could manage it!

#1666303 - 04/25/11 01:18 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: AaronL619
....it might not be as hard as it looks but it definitely looks too hard for me.. well my mother would be delighted if I could manage it!

I play Chopin Ballades and stuff, and it looks too hard to me!

BTW: I can never even remember the name of the piece. I always have to ask, wedding day at where??

And I bet other people have the same problem. Maybe the piece would be more popular if he just called it "Wedding Day at Wherever." ha

#1666362 - 04/25/11 03:15 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Gorm Laben Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Chopin Waltz in A Minor, Posthumous
--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do

#1666391 - 04/25/11 04:07 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
Mr.A Offline

Not an arpeggio frenzy but a really exceptional piece

Chopin - Prelude op.28 no.4

#1666431 - 04/25/11 05:27 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
You'll always have a crowd around the piano when you start playing Scott Joplin's works.....

Y'all ever notice? It seems they immediately stop whatever they're doing and start smiling, laughing, and especially dancing.

And running for the ice cream truck. laugh

#1666437 - 04/25/11 05:32 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: Damon]
AaronL619 Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon

And running for the ice cream truck. laugh

We can't deny that ragtime does seem to appeal to children, the Thomas the Tank theme tune was a rag if I remember rightly? also the milky bar kid advert theme!

#1666440 - 04/25/11 05:39 PM Re: Impressive but not difficult piano pieces? [Re: AaronL619]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Maybe Liszt's Rhapsody #3 (easier than #2).

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
Today at 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
Today at 07:38 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, ajames, amt976, alexbergauer, 40 invisible), 1583 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157919 Topics
2319234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission