Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1666382 - 04/25/11 03:49 PM Looking for American repertoire.
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm looking for American repertoire. Here are a few pieces I've learned successfully over the last two or three years to give you an idea of my level:

Beethoven, opus 90.
Schubert, little A major sonatata, I think it's 644.
Schubert, big A major sonata, 959.
Prokofieff, selections from Fugitive Visions.
Franck, Prelude, Chorale and Fugue.
Schubert, Gb major impromptu.
Janacek, In the Mist.

I'm looking for something that actually sounds American, so Charles Griffes' the White Peacock doesn't quite do it for me, even though it's a wonderful piece. I learned the Gerschwin preludes many years ago too, so that's out.. Gottschalk appeals to me, as he deliberately went after American idioms, but his work seems uneven, and I don't want to spend a lot of time on a piece just to realize it's second rate half-way through learning it--so does anyone know enough about Gottschalk to steer me straight on this? Think of any other suggestions? Barber, perhaps? I just draw a blank. I'd appreciate hearing.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1666387 - 04/25/11 03:59 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but since you mentioned Barber you might want to look into his Nocturne or Ballade. The Ballade is quite difficult - composed for the Cliburn competition semifinals a while back, as I remember - but from your rep list I think you could handle it. The Nocturne is somewhat easier, although not necessarily a walk in the park either.

#1666421 - 04/25/11 05:04 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Copland! Look into the Piano Variations, which is a smaller work, or the Piano Fantasy, which is a 30-minute epic.

#1666425 - 04/25/11 05:14 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
AaronL619 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Edward MacDowell? He was an American and in my opinion his style of music in comparison to other European composers at that time sounds very American to me.

#1666430 - 04/25/11 05:24 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
DameMyra Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Norman Dello-Joio, 3rd Piano Sonata
Muczynski, Desperate Measures (Paganini Variations)
Rzewski, Winsboro Cotton Mill Blues
Also to add to the Copland already mentioned above, his Passacaglia

#1666436 - 04/25/11 05:30 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
DameMyra Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
I would also add the Carter Sonata and Night Fantasies.

#1666532 - 04/25/11 08:41 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: DameMyra]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I'll throw in a few more that I think have a specifically "American" sound:

Aarom Copland Four Piano Blues; Piano Sonata
Samuel Barber Excursions
William Schuman Three Score Set
Vincent Persichetti Sonata No 5
Irving Fine Piano Music
Roy Harris Five American Folk Song Settings
Gail Kubik Sonata for Piano; Celebrations and Epilogue
Ned Rorem Three Barcarolles

Since you mentioned Gottschalk, the following pieces are very nice The Banjo; Pasquinate; Berceuse (Creole Lullaby); and La Bamboula.

THe Copland Fantasy and Carter's Sonata and Night Fantasies are VERY difficult -- be forewarned!

#1666545 - 04/25/11 08:59 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I like what you've worked on over the last few years...nice selections. Of course, there's no Bach, and for that you shall consider yourself chided. If you've got it in you, the Barber sonata will keep you busy for quite some time.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1666596 - 04/25/11 11:21 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
How about something from the American experimental wing?

Henry Cowell: The Banshee, Advertisement, Anger Dance, Nine Ings, The Tides of Manaunaun, Exultation, Vestiges... There are dozens of pieces, maybe hundreds, and they're published.

Charles Ives: The Anti-Abolitionist Riots, Some Southpaw Pitching. Some Studies may be in print.

John Cage: If you don't happen to care for the later chance-based works, how about Music for Marcel Duchamp, Four Walls, Bacchanale, or a host of shorter pieces from the 1940s?

Ruth Crawford? Johanna Beyer?

Morton Feldman has many pieces for piano. Early works from Peters Edition. Later ones like Palais de Mari or For Bunita Marcus from Universal Edition.

John Adams: China Gates

Tom Johnson: Music for 88, An Hour for Piano, etc.

I could go on, but it's getting late...

www.josephkubera.com

#1667147 - 04/26/11 09:11 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thanks everyone, for your input. I’ve listened to a lot of YouTube as a result.

First, about Barber. He doesn’t seem decisively American to me. It seems to me to be a mixed style, but more Eurocentric than American.

Copland. I listened to a lot of it, but didn’t find anything. I love Copland, I really do, but I like his other style better--the music that brings images of Hoover Dam and Mount Rushmore to mind, especially his 3rd symphony. His piano work seems highly intellectual, seems to lack meaning. Notes relating to notes rather than to extra musical ideas. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it wasn’t what I was looking for, and I don’t find it appealing.

Carter. I’m not about to go there. The music is meaningless to me. I’ve never understood the appeal.

Roy Harris. I’ve always like his 3rd symphony, but I could not find “Five American Folk Song Settings.”

There were other suggestions, Ives, Cowell, Cage, Ruth Crawford, and so on. But for one reason or another, they didn’t seem quite right.

Dame Myra mentioned “Winsboro Cotton Mill Blues,” by Rzewski. I had forgotten all about it, and it never occurred to me, but it’s the kind of thing I’m looking for.

YouTubing around, I found another piece by Rzewski: “North American Ballade #3, ‘Down by the Riverside.’” This piece hits the spot. Shirtsleeve American. Openly opinionated. Honest.

It’s very difficult, and it may be beyond me, but I’m going to give it a go. I hope I can get my teacher interested in it. She has a tendency to teach things she knows. But I got her interested in learning Janacek’s “In the Mist,” and she ended up absolutely loving it. She’s even giving it to other students. So maybe I can get her to go for “Down by the Riverside” too.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1667279 - 04/27/11 03:52 AM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Boogie-Woogie Etude, by Morton Gould (there's a very fun recording by Shura Cherkassky on Youtube).

#1667711 - 04/27/11 10:28 PM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
thaiguy20fromla Offline

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: tomasino
Dame Myra mentioned “Winsboro Cotton Mill Blues,” by Rzewski. I had forgotten all about it, and it never occurred to me, but it’s the kind of thing I’m looking for.

YouTubing around, I found another piece by Rzewski: “North American Ballade #3, ‘Down by the Riverside.’” This piece hits the spot. Shirtsleeve American. Openly opinionated. Honest.

It’s very difficult, and it may be beyond me, but I’m going to give it a go. I hope I can get my teacher interested in it. She has a tendency to teach things she knows. But I got her interested in learning Janacek’s “In the Mist,” and she ended up absolutely loving it. She’s even giving it to other students. So maybe I can get her to go for “Down by the Riverside” too.

Tomasino

I happened to shake hands and be introduced to Roger Wright, who played the Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues at Van Cliburn back in 2001... He just so happens to accompany my old high school's choir, among other things.
Piano Sonata K.333 - Mozart
WTC Prelude and Fugue in D Major, Bk 1 - Bach
Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues - Rzewski
Piano Concerto No. 1 - Liszt
Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano - Cage

#1667759 - 04/28/11 12:55 AM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: thaiguy20fromla]
pianoanne Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: thaiguy20fromla

Tomasino

I happened to shake hands and be introduced to Roger Wright, who played the Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues at Van Cliburn back in 2001... He just so happens to accompany my old high school's choir, among other things.

Really, Roger Wright accompanies your HS Choir? You guys are lucky.

#1667761 - 04/28/11 12:58 AM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
pianoanne Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Thanks everyone, for your input. I’ve listened to a lot of YouTube as a result.

First, about Barber. He doesn’t seem decisively American to me. It seems to me to be a mixed style, but more Eurocentric than American.

Copland. I listened to a lot of it, but didn’t find anything. I love Copland, I really do, but I like his other style better--the music that brings images of Hoover Dam and Mount Rushmore to mind, especially his 3rd symphony. His piano work seems highly intellectual, seems to lack meaning. Notes relating to notes rather than to extra musical ideas. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it wasn’t what I was looking for, and I don’t find it appealing.

Carter. I’m not about to go there. The music is meaningless to me. I’ve never understood the appeal.

Roy Harris. I’ve always like his 3rd symphony, but I could not find “Five American Folk Song Settings.”

There were other suggestions, Ives, Cowell, Cage, Ruth Crawford, and so on. But for one reason or another, they didn’t seem quite right.

Tomasino

The first movement of the North American Ballades "Dreadful Memories" is very nice as well, and I think a little easier than "Down By the Riverside". I played that movement a few years ago, very enjoyable.

#1667801 - 04/28/11 02:18 AM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: pianoanne]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: apianonne
Originally Posted By: thaiguy20fromla

Tomasino

Really, Roger Wright accompanies your HS Choir? You guys are lucky.

If you like "Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues", then you might also be interested in the third movement of Elie Siegmeister's Sonata No. 1 ("American").........

#1667928 - 04/28/11 09:27 AM Re: Looking for American repertoire. [Re: tomasino]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Tom, since you seemed to have some interest in the Roy Harris, I mis-remembered the title: it's actually "American Ballads", and the publisher is Carl Fischer. To be specific, there are five settings of American folk songs: Streets of Laredo; Wayfaring Stranger; The Bird; Black is the Color of my True Love's Hair; and Cod Liver Ile. They're quite effective -- somewhat challenging technically, but not overly difficult. Don't know whether Fischer still carries it (I bought it MANY years ago), but I continue to recommend it to your attention.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
Today at 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
Today at 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (ajames, ando, anamnesis, Alexander Borro, angga888, 44 invisible), 1521 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76639 Members
42 Forums
158469 Topics
2327168 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission