2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Aaron -

Have you ever played the Solfegietto by C.P.E. Bach???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQIH6RP1EY&feature=related

Not as difficult as it sounds - and fun to play !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Aaron,

Why not please your Mum by at least having a bash at the first page of Grieg’s Wedding Day at Troldhaugen Opus 65, no. 6.

Here’s the first page, if you’d like to give it a stab.
[Linked Image]

I have tried playing this, the first page (and the second page) are very manageable, but the rest seems to get a bit more difficult though the easier parts repeat throughout. I managed to play through most parts of it (very slowly)

I am not very good at determining whether some pieces of music are too difficult for me or whether it just something that will improve with practice..

Last edited by AaronL619; 04/27/11 07:47 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Speaking of Bach, there is this one:

http://www.waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Composers%20A-D/Bach,%20J.%20S./Transcriptions/Bach-Hill__Toccata%2526Fugue_BWV565.pdf

A nice piano transcription of the famous Bach toccata (& fugue) in Dmi. Familiar, sounds impressive and not as hard as it sounds. Also a lot of fun to play on a digital piano with a pipe organ voice.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
A
OP Offline
A
Stanza,
Thank you for this nice suggestion.

I actually have a very old electric organ upstairs that my mother bought way back when she was a teenager in the 70s.. though unfortunately it is in need of repair as it makes some dodgy noises.. I'm always afraid to switch it on in case it explodes or something smirk

S
S
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Samuel1993
There's the obvious one's such as Beethoven's 'Fur Elise', Mozart's Alla Turca etc.

Impressive? I find it hard to believe that even the musically uneducated find either impressive, since it seems every other kid on the block plays one or the other (or both).

Trust me, they do. You could play Chopin's Piano Sonata or Rach's 3rd and they wouldn't give a flying hoot. The second you play something they recognize (i.e Fur Elise, Clair De Lune) they love it. In fact, you're lucky for them to find them exciting, most none Classical Music Lovers are only impressed if you can play a current Mainstream Hit (Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc).

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I played Grieg's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen a billion years ago. I was probably 15 and I'd guess I was playing grade 7 or 8 at that time. It's really not that hard if you are comfortable playing alternating LH/RH notes. (I learned that technique with this piece).

Best regards,

Deborah
D
D
There are a lot of pieces that rely on beautiful playing, not technique, to impress.

There are several quite easy Chopin mazurkas that are very expressive.
I've gone through IMSLP looking for things like lullabies and elegies, other slow forms, and have found some beautiful pieces.
Grieg's Holborne Suite has several nice movements; the sarabande is beautiful and easy.
As others have said, Joplin is a sure crowd-pleaser, but you do have to get it memorized.

Good luck.

working on: Godowski's easier Baroque transcriptions;
Schubert Impromptu 90.4

Online Content

Originally Posted by David T
There are a lot of pieces that rely on beautiful playing, not technique, to impress.

There are several quite easy Chopin mazurkas that are very expressive.
I've gone through IMSLP looking for things like lullabies and elegies, other slow forms, and have found some beautiful pieces.
Grieg's Holborne Suite has several nice movements; the sarabande is beautiful and easy.
As others have said, Joplin is a sure crowd-pleaser, but you do have to get it memorized.

Good luck.

Actually its "Holberg" not "Holborne" - and, yes, it is quite nice.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
S
Well, I would suggest:
Grieg: March of the Trolls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbw2Nnf3dY
Very, very manageable, and sounds great. Very impressive when played well.
Chopin: Prelude No. 3 in G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZAt3cqDyJ4
A little more difficult, but again manageable, the left hand makes great practice as it requires fast playing, but really very east broken down. Its just a pity this piece is so short...
Debussy: Le Petit Negre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEM0t3vlGjQ
Ah, such a cute piece of music, and very impressive when well played. Technically a cinch, I think, it just relies on a playful interpretation.
Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqaf56b3jY
My own favorite Hungarian Rhapsody, and by a country mile one of the, it not THE easiest, though still rather challenging, without being too difficult. Very pretty piece of music, and the ending always raises the roof. smile

EDIT: Just noticed the OP said Grade 6, misread. That HR8 is far too difficult in that case.

Last edited by Sean-Patrick; 04/27/11 09:26 PM.
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by AaronL619
So I am asking suggestions for some new pieces that are basically easier to play than they sound that would impress/entertain listeners.

I am moving on to start my grade 6 soon but to give you an idea of my level here are a few pieces I can play:

I'm wondering whether people remember what the actual point of the suggestions was...

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
B
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
You'll always have a crowd around the piano when you start playing Scott Joplin's works.....

Especially little kids. smile

Y'all ever notice? It seems they immediately stop whatever they're doing and start smiling, laughing, and especially dancing.

Whenever I play at my cousin's house, it seems her son always wants to play a duet. And by a duet I mean he sits on the bench next to me smacking random keys. Gotta love two year-olds haha

Nick
D
D
Nobody has yet mentioned Debussy's Dr Gradus ad Parnassus from Children's Corner. It's fantastic, impressive, and easy.

Also,

The first movement from Haydn Piano Sonata No.46.
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 5.
Andante Favori
Chopin Op. 25 No.1 is always winning. It's not too hard. Sure sounds like it is, though.

Perhaps MacDowell Op.39? Some are easier than others. Showy and manageable for intermediate players. grin

JN
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I think almost anything memorized tends to impress people. For something super-easy but lovely, there's the first piece I ever memorized, Beethoven's little La Marmotte. It's also super-short--nice for if people want to hear you play but don't really want to listen for very long. This is in "The Joy of Beethoven" book, a collection that also has Für Elise and some other nice manageable pieces, up to intermediate. And I think only piano insiders (maybe people who've heard too many student recitals?) might be jaded with Fur Elise, others will like to hear it, including folks like me who've played it themselves.

Another that occurs to me if you want something fast is the Wild Rider from Schumann's Kinderszenen.

1989 Baldwin R
Originally Posted by jdw
I think almost anything memorized tends to impress people.....

Great point. I think it's true, when it comes to non-musician audiences -- and in fact, even sometimes musician audiences, especially if they're musicians who have some trouble memorizing.

C
C
Originally Posted by jdw

Great point. I think it's true, when it comes to non-musician audiences -- and in fact, even sometimes musician audiences, especially if they're musicians who have some trouble memorizing.

I used to memorize every single piece I played... until I got my first job. Now, I just don't have the time. It's pretty frustrating now to open a book and play for people and have them fairly obviously shrug their shoulders and walk off. If I had played the same piece from memory twice as fast and missed every other note they would have been clapping up and down like a wind-up monkey.

Clayton -

My listening obsessions:
Kurt Atterberg - Piano Concerto in Bb
Claude Debussy - Cello Sonata
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Clayton
Originally Posted by jdw

I used to memorize every single piece I played... until I got my first job. Now, I just don't have the time. It's pretty frustrating now to open a book and play for people and have them fairly obviously shrug their shoulders and walk off. If I had played the same piece from memory twice as fast and missed every other note they would have been clapping up and down like a wind-up monkey.

Then I suppose the solution is to learn to 'fake it' when playing on sight. I do a fair bit of accompanying, and that's what I have to do. By 'fake it' I mean accepting a fair number of errors which, hopefully, aren't too obvious, missing out notes that you can't get a finger on to in time, and learning how to improvise a bit when you completely lose the thread.

I've been playing the piano for 30-odd years, but I only started learning to sight-read a few years ago, when I realized that my ageing memory was no longer at all reliable. If you have to play unfamiliar music at short notice, I think that the ability to fake it is pretty helpful.

As to the original question, if you're looking for pieces at around grade 6 which punch above their weight, I'd recommend the following:

Granados -- Valse Poetico no. 6
Albeniz -- Tango (middle section is a bit fiddly)
Liszt -- Consolation #1
Chopin -- Nocture in Eb (perhaps a bit harder than gr. 6)

Actually, you can buy huge anthologies of accessible pieces of around this standard, like the Hal Leonard "The Romantic Era" which has a hundred-odd pieces in.

M
M
I would rather advice to play Chopin Prelude No. 4 - it is very easy and very touching...

Beethoven 14th Sonata 1st part

Waltz in E-moll Griboedov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXwg0NeXyCw
(not in such a hurry up tempo though of course)

But the most impressive one is
J. S. Bach - Prelude and Fugue n.2 in C Minor BWV 847 (WTC I)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvmCUx7NdLg

It has eternity in it and is rather easy to play.
I play it and enjoy it and feel the time itself in every sound of it! Try it and You will never regret!

M
M
Also very romantic but not hard to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClDFmFmr0k

Scriabin Etude Op.8 No.12

Also very easy and touching the heart is Mozart Fantasia in D Minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8P7-1IzhwU

B
B
Originally Posted by MarianneAlkonost
Also very romantic but not hard to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClDFmFmr0k

Scriabin Etude Op.8 No.12

Also very easy and touching the heart is Mozart Fantasia in D Minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8P7-1IzhwU

Is this a joke?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission