Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1667121 - 04/26/11 07:52 PM Jansen Artist Bench
David Xavi Offline

Loc: Galveston, Texas
Hi everybody,
As you may or may not know, I just bought a new (well technically used) piano. I was looking for a good artist bench and I came across this website that seems to be selling the Jansen artist bench at about 100 dollars cheaper than everybody else?

http://www.mprpiano.com/accessories/6/6.htm

Does anybody know if this is a legitimate seller? Is this the actual Jansen Artist bench?

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1667126 - 04/26/11 07:59 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
My advice is to buy your new bench from this website. Go to www.pianosupplies.com.

Peace of mind is worth a buck or two and Frank is a wonderful and trustworthy man to deal with.

Good luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1667159 - 04/26/11 09:43 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
+1

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1667193 - 04/26/11 11:09 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I got my Jansen piano bench from PianoWorld's website, and I think what you might be seeing as a difference in price is that with PW the shipping (UPS -- 45 lbs)is included. I couldn't find anything on the other website saying that it was included, or not. A Jansen is a Jansen, so you will have your bench forever.

Now, my one piece of advice is GO FOR THE DUET BENCH. You'll never need a NEW bench once you get a Jansen, but you might often wish you'd spent a bit more and bought the duet bench. I bought the duet bench and everyone who uses my piano comments who much they like having the bigger bench.

And, if you really want a special touch, I can fly my cat out to texturize the leather on your bench (like he did mine) once you get it set up. It really adds that little somthing extra to the personalization.

#1667200 - 04/26/11 11:36 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jonahan Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I found that site when I was looking for a bench too. The guy's not in business anymore. His prices are from when those were the list prices, and I guess he never took the website down.

By the way, the reason that most everyone advertises the same price is that Mr. Jansen, evidently, doesn't allow anyone to advertise a price on a Jansen bench for less than the rate you've seen everywhere else.

I ultimately bought mine from pianosupplies.com.

I LOVE the bench, and would not have wanted the duet bench, because in my opinion, it's just too big, and doesn't look "right," aesthetically. Clearly, that's just a personal choice.

#1667203 - 04/26/11 11:47 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Jonahan]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I LOVE my Jansen solo bench, and this from a guy who thought his butt could be happy with any old wooden bench (of the right height).

One warning about the duet bench: they weigh A TON. If you get one, don't plan to move it much.

www.josephkubera.com

#1667215 - 04/27/11 12:21 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Two benches are better than one duet bench, but then, I have two pianos.

#1667231 - 04/27/11 01:09 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I guess I'm out-voted, but I will happily keep my Jansen Duet bench (with the cat-customized perforations). I play duets fairly frequently, and it really is nice to have the extra real estate. Plus, if you have a cat or dog that wants to sit with you (which my cat does) then they have their place, and I have mine. For a hundred or so extra bucks, it's really nice. It does weigh a ton! But I put sliders on the bottom of the legs and it sits on a wooden floor, so I don't have to struggle with it at all to adjust the position forwards or backwards. I might be singing a different tune about the weight if I were trying to move it on carpet.

Either way, you'll love your Jansen Artist bench.

Edited by crogersrx (04/27/11 01:11 AM)

#1667328 - 04/27/11 07:55 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
+1 on the Jansen solo bench. I bought one of the cheaper Chinese-made ones off ebay, and had to sell it because it wasn't very comfortable. Bought a Jansen and I'm set for life. Personally I don't care for the look of the duet benches, but I suppose if you're playing a lot of duets it would be nice. I'm guessing it would be hard for one person to move easily.

#1667530 - 04/27/11 03:30 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Steve Cohen]
master88er Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
+ another one. Buy the Jansen bench from PW. You will get an honest and reasonable price for a great product.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1667615 - 04/27/11 06:49 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
manofsong Offline

Loc: Earth
Some day I too will own a Jansen Solo Bench.

C

1917 Baldwin L, Satin Mahogany, #30220

#1667654 - 04/27/11 08:04 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve W Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Jansen benches even have replaceable parts in the lifting mechanism. As several have said, once you buy one, you will never need to replace it.

I bought a Jansen solo bench in leather. Sometimes I wish I had bought the duet bench, even if it meant getting it in vinyl to save money.

#1667685 - 04/27/11 09:15 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
In 2009 I made a trip to the Jansen factory in Oshkosh, WI. I was in the middle of having my 1904 Henry F. Miller concert grand rebuilt. Paul Jansen suggested I bring one of the refinished piano legs with me so he could see it in person and then suggest a leg style to compliment the old piano (he had leg styles in limited quantity that he does not list in is catalog). We then went to the leather room and selected the color leather that would compliment the mahogoney wood and in the stain room we chose the matching stain color for the bench legs.

It was a wonderful experience and Paul was a real gentleman. The custom built bench arrived at my home before the final restoration of the piano was complete. I use the bench almost daily and it still looks like it did the day it arrived.
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1667820 - 04/28/11 03:15 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Steve W]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve W
Jansen benches even have replaceable parts in the lifting mechanism. As several have said, once you buy one, you will never need to replace it.

I bought a Jansen solo bench in leather. Sometimes I wish I had bought the duet bench, even if it meant getting it in vinyl to save money.

Maybe... just maybe... if you throw your Jansen off a cliff, and run over it with a truck, which then explodes and sets it on fire, you'll NEED to buy a new bench. Otherwise, you probably won't be able to justify the buying of the duet bench because the old one wore out. But, though everyone else here seems to think them TOO BIG, or TOO HEAVY, or whatever, I LOVE MINE. Though I feel just fine sitting on the solo bench at my teacher's studio.

#1667964 - 04/28/11 10:44 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: crogersrx]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
To crogersrx and others who have duet benches, a question: Can you adjust each side to a different height (for the comfort of the individual players) or must both players agree to the same height?

[Edit] Oops, never mind. I looked a the site, and the premium artist duet bench has one adjustable height, like the solo bench. They make a different bench where each side can set a different height.

Edited by RealPlayer (04/28/11 02:48 PM)

www.josephkubera.com

#1668062 - 04/28/11 01:40 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Seems like a premium price to pay. I'm all for supporting American manufacturing, but $800 for a piano bench is steep. What is the perceived benefit?
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1668075 - 04/28/11 02:19 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
Seems like a premium price to pay. I'm all for supporting American manufacturing, but $800 for a piano bench is steep. What is the perceived benefit?

Huh? Have you read the thread? shocked

I've had many adjustable benches upside down to photograph the "works" -- since we sell Jansen benches online.

There is no "perceived benefit". In a Jansen you get honest-to-goodness machined parts that are made of real steel instead of stamped and/or molded pot-metal. You have real bearings instead of shafts turning in punched sheet metal brackets. You have glue joints in real wood rather than chip-board. There are no staples in a Jansen bench. And you get top-quality upholstery, as well.

I've seen most of the adjustable benches out there. Some aren't horrible. Most are garbage. Jansen is way ahead of whatever takes second place.

#1668084 - 04/28/11 02:49 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: kpembrook]
Michael Taylor Offline

There is always a perceived benefit to premium products. Inspite of the sarcasm, it looks like you answered my question. I have not heard of the "Jansen Artist Bench" and was curious about the high cost. I suppose the short answer is that they are the Cadillac of piano benches.

#1668127 - 04/28/11 04:25 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
Jonahan Offline

Loc: Central Texas

It really just is a matter of quality. As I understand it, new Steinways come w/ Jansen benches, if that tells you anything about their quality.

I bought one of the $199 OSP leather benches from eBay. I think I paid $575 for the Jansen bench w/ vinyl. (The Jansen vinyl is of a better quality than the OSP leather, I'm sure!)

Not only is the Jansen bigger, significantly (I suspect the OSP bench is the same size as the Jansen petite bench), but the quality just doesn't compare. It's probably similar to comparing a $1000 entertainment system (the piece of furniture, I mean) from a quality furniture store vs. buying something of a similar size from Wal-Mart for $129 that you have to put together yourself.

And, when you consider the fact that it will last for a couple of decades, at least, the price difference between a Jansen and anything else becomes somewhat irrelevant.

#1668133 - 04/28/11 04:38 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
There is always a perceived benefit to premium products. Inspite of the sarcasm, it looks like you answered my question. I have not heard of the "Jansen Artist Bench" and was curious about the high cost. I suppose the short answer is that they are the Cadillac of piano benches.

Michael,
Sorry if I sounded snippy. I put "perceived benefit" in quotes to emphasize that it is not something subjective, but rather that there are genuine objective structural differences.

Saying it's the 'Cadillac' is a good way to put it.

#1668141 - 04/28/11 04:52 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Jansen Artist benches are the "gold standard" in the industry and are a fabulous product.

However...stay tuned!

That is all I shall say. No - my lips are sealed.

#1668170 - 04/28/11 06:05 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Furtwangler]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
An alternative to the Jansen Artist bench that is available both in North America and Europe (no dealerships for Jansen in Europe) is the German 'Burghardt B10 H' with patented 'Gissando' mechanism.

However you should not pick this one because of price as it is at least as expensive if not more expensive than the Jansen.

Burghardt B10 H

schwammerl.

Edited by schwammerl (04/28/11 06:06 PM)

#1668171 - 04/28/11 06:08 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Burghardts are fabulous but "suendhaft teuer"
[sinfully expensive..]
Norbert wink

#1668202 - 04/28/11 07:02 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
In my experience, the Burghardts have softer, more luxurious leather than Jansen's leather option and the hydraulic mechanism is very convenient, but I have found the Jansen to be more durable and with better upholstery. I'll gladly accept the Burghardt, but I'll recommend the Jansen artist bench.

However, there is another that I like....
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1668246 - 04/28/11 09:18 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
The solidity, comfort and quality of the Jansen bench is well worth the price. Mine came with my Steinway and I love it.

Sophia

#1668247 - 04/28/11 09:20 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
Steve W Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE

Not quite what I would say - even though Jansen benches are nice looking, they really are not known for their aesthetic aspects nearly so much as their heavy-duty hardware. They are heavy and they are really solid.

When you buy a Cadillac, you get exactly the same generic GM engine as you get in a Chevrolet or Buick, but you get nice leather and wood inside the cabin. When you buy a Jansen bench, you get a very different set of innards.

I had a no-name adjustable bench which my dealer gave me when I bought my Schimmel 14 years ago. Lasted 10 years before the cheap thin metal side arms in the lifting mechanism broke. I had them welded and lasted another year. Finally broke down and got the Jansen and should never need to replace it (barring catastrophes described by Cary Rogers!))

Edited by Steve W (04/28/11 09:21 PM)

#1668260 - 04/28/11 09:53 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I think its that "Cadillac" doesn't mean the same as when the expression "the Cadillac of" was coined. Cadillac had a long run with very little outside competition as THE premium luxury car brand in States. Like the rest of GM, they fell behind. When they put the effort back into them, they earned a good following, but never the same reverence that was the origin of that still common expression. Information is widespread, consumers see more good options, and now no luxury car brand can dominate for decades.

Hmmm.... smile
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1668335 - 04/29/11 02:00 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Michael Taylor Offline

That's not entirely true. There were other luxury brands in the US.....Buick and Lincoln to name two. Much like piano, many brands came and went.....but Cadillac prevailed.

Any who....I won't hi-jack the thread.

I guess I will stick with my current bench until it breaks. The only issue that I have is that there is no good place to put my sheet music.....the wife would kill me if I left it lying around!

One more thing.....Cadillacs share some (not all parts with Chevy and Buick)......but they also supplied engines to Rolls Royce (many years ago.) I am sure that the benches are sturdy and well built.....but there is still some "perceived benefit" that you pay extra for.

Edited by Michael Taylor (04/29/11 02:06 AM)

#1668702 - 04/29/11 05:57 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
In my experience, the Burghardts have softer, more luxurious leather than Jansen's leather option and the hydraulic mechanism is very convenient, but I have found the Jansen to be more durable and with better upholstery. I'll gladly accept the Burghardt, but I'll recommend the Jansen artist bench.

That's why I recommend my customers to buy a Sauter and Estonia grand together.

They'll get one of the benches each...

Norbert wink

#1668893 - 04/30/11 05:02 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

They are indeed the premium benches (probably the Rolls Royce, not Cadillac). I have a Jansen Artist Duet bench and it is solid as a tank. Super comfy too. The duet benches are not able to be adjusted individually on each side... I suppose that might be a downside, but I just like the larger bench so that I can have extra books on the empty side of it instead of all over the music rack. I'd be fine with the regular solo bench, but since I only intended to buy it once, I figured I'd go for the Duet. I don't regret it.

And, if you look at some of the regular, unadjustable benches for $300-400, what's so surprising about the cost of a Jansen Artist? Go to a Steinway store and sample the adjustable benches. Those are Jansen benches with special Steinway nobs installed as aftermarket add-ons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1441 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249974 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
04/17/14 08:41 PM
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
04/17/14 07:57 PM
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
04/17/14 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
04/17/14 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission