Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1667121 - 04/26/11 07:52 PM Jansen Artist Bench
David Xavi Offline

Loc: Galveston, Texas
Hi everybody,
As you may or may not know, I just bought a new (well technically used) piano. I was looking for a good artist bench and I came across this website that seems to be selling the Jansen artist bench at about 100 dollars cheaper than everybody else?

http://www.mprpiano.com/accessories/6/6.htm

Does anybody know if this is a legitimate seller? Is this the actual Jansen Artist bench?

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1667126 - 04/26/11 07:59 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
My advice is to buy your new bench from this website. Go to www.pianosupplies.com.

Peace of mind is worth a buck or two and Frank is a wonderful and trustworthy man to deal with.

Good luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1667159 - 04/26/11 09:43 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
+1

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1667193 - 04/26/11 11:09 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I got my Jansen piano bench from PianoWorld's website, and I think what you might be seeing as a difference in price is that with PW the shipping (UPS -- 45 lbs)is included. I couldn't find anything on the other website saying that it was included, or not. A Jansen is a Jansen, so you will have your bench forever.

Now, my one piece of advice is GO FOR THE DUET BENCH. You'll never need a NEW bench once you get a Jansen, but you might often wish you'd spent a bit more and bought the duet bench. I bought the duet bench and everyone who uses my piano comments who much they like having the bigger bench.

And, if you really want a special touch, I can fly my cat out to texturize the leather on your bench (like he did mine) once you get it set up. It really adds that little somthing extra to the personalization.

#1667200 - 04/26/11 11:36 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jonahan Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I found that site when I was looking for a bench too. The guy's not in business anymore. His prices are from when those were the list prices, and I guess he never took the website down.

By the way, the reason that most everyone advertises the same price is that Mr. Jansen, evidently, doesn't allow anyone to advertise a price on a Jansen bench for less than the rate you've seen everywhere else.

I ultimately bought mine from pianosupplies.com.

I LOVE the bench, and would not have wanted the duet bench, because in my opinion, it's just too big, and doesn't look "right," aesthetically. Clearly, that's just a personal choice.

#1667203 - 04/26/11 11:47 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Jonahan]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I LOVE my Jansen solo bench, and this from a guy who thought his butt could be happy with any old wooden bench (of the right height).

One warning about the duet bench: they weigh A TON. If you get one, don't plan to move it much.

www.josephkubera.com

#1667215 - 04/27/11 12:21 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Two benches are better than one duet bench, but then, I have two pianos.

#1667231 - 04/27/11 01:09 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, I guess I'm out-voted, but I will happily keep my Jansen Duet bench (with the cat-customized perforations). I play duets fairly frequently, and it really is nice to have the extra real estate. Plus, if you have a cat or dog that wants to sit with you (which my cat does) then they have their place, and I have mine. For a hundred or so extra bucks, it's really nice. It does weigh a ton! But I put sliders on the bottom of the legs and it sits on a wooden floor, so I don't have to struggle with it at all to adjust the position forwards or backwards. I might be singing a different tune about the weight if I were trying to move it on carpet.

Either way, you'll love your Jansen Artist bench.

Edited by crogersrx (04/27/11 01:11 AM)

#1667328 - 04/27/11 07:55 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
+1 on the Jansen solo bench. I bought one of the cheaper Chinese-made ones off ebay, and had to sell it because it wasn't very comfortable. Bought a Jansen and I'm set for life. Personally I don't care for the look of the duet benches, but I suppose if you're playing a lot of duets it would be nice. I'm guessing it would be hard for one person to move easily.

#1667530 - 04/27/11 03:30 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Steve Cohen]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
+ another one. Buy the Jansen bench from PW. You will get an honest and reasonable price for a great product.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1667615 - 04/27/11 06:49 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
manofsong Offline

Loc: Earth
Some day I too will own a Jansen Solo Bench.

C

1917 Baldwin L, Satin Mahogany, #30220

#1667654 - 04/27/11 08:04 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve W Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
Jansen benches even have replaceable parts in the lifting mechanism. As several have said, once you buy one, you will never need to replace it.

I bought a Jansen solo bench in leather. Sometimes I wish I had bought the duet bench, even if it meant getting it in vinyl to save money.

#1667685 - 04/27/11 09:15 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
In 2009 I made a trip to the Jansen factory in Oshkosh, WI. I was in the middle of having my 1904 Henry F. Miller concert grand rebuilt. Paul Jansen suggested I bring one of the refinished piano legs with me so he could see it in person and then suggest a leg style to compliment the old piano (he had leg styles in limited quantity that he does not list in is catalog). We then went to the leather room and selected the color leather that would compliment the mahogoney wood and in the stain room we chose the matching stain color for the bench legs.

It was a wonderful experience and Paul was a real gentleman. The custom built bench arrived at my home before the final restoration of the piano was complete. I use the bench almost daily and it still looks like it did the day it arrived.
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1667820 - 04/28/11 03:15 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Steve W]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve W
Jansen benches even have replaceable parts in the lifting mechanism. As several have said, once you buy one, you will never need to replace it.

I bought a Jansen solo bench in leather. Sometimes I wish I had bought the duet bench, even if it meant getting it in vinyl to save money.

Maybe... just maybe... if you throw your Jansen off a cliff, and run over it with a truck, which then explodes and sets it on fire, you'll NEED to buy a new bench. Otherwise, you probably won't be able to justify the buying of the duet bench because the old one wore out. But, though everyone else here seems to think them TOO BIG, or TOO HEAVY, or whatever, I LOVE MINE. Though I feel just fine sitting on the solo bench at my teacher's studio.

#1667964 - 04/28/11 10:44 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: crogersrx]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
To crogersrx and others who have duet benches, a question: Can you adjust each side to a different height (for the comfort of the individual players) or must both players agree to the same height?

[Edit] Oops, never mind. I looked a the site, and the premium artist duet bench has one adjustable height, like the solo bench. They make a different bench where each side can set a different height.

Edited by RealPlayer (04/28/11 02:48 PM)

www.josephkubera.com

#1668062 - 04/28/11 01:40 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Seems like a premium price to pay. I'm all for supporting American manufacturing, but $800 for a piano bench is steep. What is the perceived benefit?
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1668075 - 04/28/11 02:19 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
Seems like a premium price to pay. I'm all for supporting American manufacturing, but $800 for a piano bench is steep. What is the perceived benefit?

Huh? Have you read the thread? shocked

I've had many adjustable benches upside down to photograph the "works" -- since we sell Jansen benches online.

There is no "perceived benefit". In a Jansen you get honest-to-goodness machined parts that are made of real steel instead of stamped and/or molded pot-metal. You have real bearings instead of shafts turning in punched sheet metal brackets. You have glue joints in real wood rather than chip-board. There are no staples in a Jansen bench. And you get top-quality upholstery, as well.

I've seen most of the adjustable benches out there. Some aren't horrible. Most are garbage. Jansen is way ahead of whatever takes second place.

#1668084 - 04/28/11 02:49 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: kpembrook]
Michael Taylor Offline

There is always a perceived benefit to premium products. Inspite of the sarcasm, it looks like you answered my question. I have not heard of the "Jansen Artist Bench" and was curious about the high cost. I suppose the short answer is that they are the Cadillac of piano benches.

#1668127 - 04/28/11 04:25 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
Jonahan Offline

Loc: Central Texas

It really just is a matter of quality. As I understand it, new Steinways come w/ Jansen benches, if that tells you anything about their quality.

I bought one of the $199 OSP leather benches from eBay. I think I paid $575 for the Jansen bench w/ vinyl. (The Jansen vinyl is of a better quality than the OSP leather, I'm sure!)

Not only is the Jansen bigger, significantly (I suspect the OSP bench is the same size as the Jansen petite bench), but the quality just doesn't compare. It's probably similar to comparing a $1000 entertainment system (the piece of furniture, I mean) from a quality furniture store vs. buying something of a similar size from Wal-Mart for $129 that you have to put together yourself.

And, when you consider the fact that it will last for a couple of decades, at least, the price difference between a Jansen and anything else becomes somewhat irrelevant.

#1668133 - 04/28/11 04:38 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
There is always a perceived benefit to premium products. Inspite of the sarcasm, it looks like you answered my question. I have not heard of the "Jansen Artist Bench" and was curious about the high cost. I suppose the short answer is that they are the Cadillac of piano benches.

Michael,
Sorry if I sounded snippy. I put "perceived benefit" in quotes to emphasize that it is not something subjective, but rather that there are genuine objective structural differences.

Saying it's the 'Cadillac' is a good way to put it.

#1668141 - 04/28/11 04:52 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Jansen Artist benches are the "gold standard" in the industry and are a fabulous product.

However...stay tuned!

That is all I shall say. No - my lips are sealed.

#1668170 - 04/28/11 06:05 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Furtwangler]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
An alternative to the Jansen Artist bench that is available both in North America and Europe (no dealerships for Jansen in Europe) is the German 'Burghardt B10 H' with patented 'Gissando' mechanism.

However you should not pick this one because of price as it is at least as expensive if not more expensive than the Jansen.

Burghardt B10 H

schwammerl.

Edited by schwammerl (04/28/11 06:06 PM)

#1668171 - 04/28/11 06:08 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Burghardts are fabulous but "suendhaft teuer"
[sinfully expensive..]
Norbert wink

#1668202 - 04/28/11 07:02 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
In my experience, the Burghardts have softer, more luxurious leather than Jansen's leather option and the hydraulic mechanism is very convenient, but I have found the Jansen to be more durable and with better upholstery. I'll gladly accept the Burghardt, but I'll recommend the Jansen artist bench.

However, there is another that I like....
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1668246 - 04/28/11 09:18 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
The solidity, comfort and quality of the Jansen bench is well worth the price. Mine came with my Steinway and I love it.

Sophia

#1668247 - 04/28/11 09:20 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
Steve W Offline

Not quite what I would say - even though Jansen benches are nice looking, they really are not known for their aesthetic aspects nearly so much as their heavy-duty hardware. They are heavy and they are really solid.

When you buy a Cadillac, you get exactly the same generic GM engine as you get in a Chevrolet or Buick, but you get nice leather and wood inside the cabin. When you buy a Jansen bench, you get a very different set of innards.

I had a no-name adjustable bench which my dealer gave me when I bought my Schimmel 14 years ago. Lasted 10 years before the cheap thin metal side arms in the lifting mechanism broke. I had them welded and lasted another year. Finally broke down and got the Jansen and should never need to replace it (barring catastrophes described by Cary Rogers!))

Edited by Steve W (04/28/11 09:21 PM)

#1668260 - 04/28/11 09:53 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think its that "Cadillac" doesn't mean the same as when the expression "the Cadillac of" was coined. Cadillac had a long run with very little outside competition as THE premium luxury car brand in States. Like the rest of GM, they fell behind. When they put the effort back into them, they earned a good following, but never the same reverence that was the origin of that still common expression. Information is widespread, consumers see more good options, and now no luxury car brand can dominate for decades.

Hmmm.... smile
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1668335 - 04/29/11 02:00 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Michael Taylor Offline

That's not entirely true. There were other luxury brands in the US.....Buick and Lincoln to name two. Much like piano, many brands came and went.....but Cadillac prevailed.

Any who....I won't hi-jack the thread.

I guess I will stick with my current bench until it breaks. The only issue that I have is that there is no good place to put my sheet music.....the wife would kill me if I left it lying around!

One more thing.....Cadillacs share some (not all parts with Chevy and Buick)......but they also supplied engines to Rolls Royce (many years ago.) I am sure that the benches are sturdy and well built.....but there is still some "perceived benefit" that you pay extra for.

Edited by Michael Taylor (04/29/11 02:06 AM)

#1668702 - 04/29/11 05:57 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
In my experience, the Burghardts have softer, more luxurious leather than Jansen's leather option and the hydraulic mechanism is very convenient, but I have found the Jansen to be more durable and with better upholstery. I'll gladly accept the Burghardt, but I'll recommend the Jansen artist bench.

That's why I recommend my customers to buy a Sauter and Estonia grand together.

They'll get one of the benches each...

Norbert wink

#1668893 - 04/30/11 05:02 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Michael Taylor]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

They are indeed the premium benches (probably the Rolls Royce, not Cadillac). I have a Jansen Artist Duet bench and it is solid as a tank. Super comfy too. The duet benches are not able to be adjusted individually on each side... I suppose that might be a downside, but I just like the larger bench so that I can have extra books on the empty side of it instead of all over the music rack. I'd be fine with the regular solo bench, but since I only intended to buy it once, I figured I'd go for the Duet. I don't regret it.

And, if you look at some of the regular, unadjustable benches for $300-400, what's so surprising about the cost of a Jansen Artist? Go to a Steinway store and sample the adjustable benches. Those are Jansen benches with special Steinway nobs installed as aftermarket add-ons.

#1847012 - 02/17/12 08:46 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Scott Prell Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
Sorry for posting to a ten month old thread. But you know the feeling when you have great news to share, but no one you know personally will quite appreciate it? Well, maybe my friends at PIANOWORLD.COM will!

I just started playing this month after I bought a new Roland FP-7F. My goal is to practice 5,000 hours in 5 years (if you're reading this, "Thanks, Jazzwee!"). I started to play sitting on my dreaded old piano bench for hours. Love the playing; hated the sitting.

So I hit up PW and researched threads on benches. Naturally, that led to quite a few threads and recommendations of the Jansen Artist Bench. However, having just purchased the digital piano, a bench like that was out of the question. (I am married.)

Or was it?

I searched Pianosupplies.com first, then eBay, Amazon, and various recommended links. Nuthin' affordable. Then I looked in my local Craigslist. Lo and behold:

A NEW, UNASSEMBLED, STANDARD, VINYL, EBONY, SATIN-FINISHED, J-3 SPADE-LEGGED, JANSEN ARTIST BENCH -- WITH STEINWAY KNOBS -- IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING -- $350 FIRM.

Happy birthday to me -- I bought and assembled it this morning! BEAUTIFUL! (AND it's not stolen!)

(The Roland digital piano stand will have to wait till 2013...)

Edited by Scott Prell (02/17/12 09:00 PM)

#1847164 - 02/18/12 07:48 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Scott,

You lucky son of a gun. I just bought one for over $1k.
Got get it fast!

#1847218 - 02/18/12 10:43 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
manofsong Offline

Loc: Earth
Wow! I've been looking for a Jansen for years at that price, no luck. I did find a very nice Black adjustable bench but it was not a Jansen. I got it for $40! It looks exactly like a Jansen from a distance but it's not. My piano is mahogany so I'd prefer a Brown bench, I'll keep looking.

1917 Baldwin L, Satin Mahogany, #30220

#1847530 - 02/18/12 09:17 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
L.K. Offline

Loc: N.J.
When I got my piano pre-restoration there was no bench, and then the rebuilders gave me a leather one for free. I guess I'm super lucky.

#1847570 - 02/18/12 11:10 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I there some consensus about the benefits of a Jansen bench over lower-priced ones?

#1847654 - 02/19/12 04:51 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I can see artist benches on stage but for every day practice I want back support. I bought an expensive adjustable office chair many years ago and it has served me well. I removed the arm supports since they got in the way of playing.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1847689 - 02/19/12 07:35 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: MacMacMac]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
I there some consensus about the benefits of a Jansen bench over lower-priced ones?

Try one

#1847787 - 02/19/12 11:44 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"Try one."

Or, more convincingly, try a cheap one. I stopped the search on my third bench, a Jansen. The stability, the quality of the mechanical action, the comfort, and yes, the look.

The adjustment only changes the bench height by three or four inches. If you don't find that gets you into the right range, you can order a different-height leg. I got a Chinese-made knockoff for only a couple of hundred bucks less, which offered a much greater adjustment range, but when extended high enough it looks like a scissor-lift, accentuated by its skimpy profile (or do I mean footprint). And it's creaky, less stable, and the buttons started popping off the upholstered top... well, there you are.

"...Then I looked in my local Craigslist. Lo and behold:
A NEW, UNASSEMBLED, STANDARD, VINYL, EBONY, SATIN-FINISHED, J-3 SPADE-LEGGED, JANSEN ARTIST BENCH -- WITH STEINWAY KNOBS -- IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING..."

So, what kind of luck is that? A meteorite crashed through the roof and destroyed the Steinway, but luckily spared the Jansen bench? A fire burned down the house and the piano, but the bench was saved? There's surely some backstory to this find of fortune.

#1847892 - 02/19/12 03:25 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve W Offline

I too had a knockoff bench with a scissors mechanism. Worse than buttons popping off, one of the cheap metal side struts that attach the scissors mechanism to the top broke. I had it welded but it was so thin it broke again.

After messing around with a cheap, creaky, and break-y bench, finally bit the bullet and bought a Jansen. No creaks, mechanism works smoothly, looks great, heavy as a tank, and should last a lifetime. Jansen even sells repair parts for the mechanism, like bearings, but doubt I'll ever wear them out.

#1847953 - 02/19/12 05:17 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Jeff Clef]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
"Try one."

Or, more convincingly, try a cheap one. I stopped the search on my third bench, a Jansen. The stability, the quality of the mechanical action, the comfort, and yes, the look.

The adjustment only changes the bench height by three or four inches. If you don't find that gets you into the right range, you can order a different-height leg. I got a Chinese-made knockoff for only a couple of hundred bucks less, which offered a much greater adjustment range, but when extended high enough it looks like a scissor-lift, accentuated by its skimpy profile (or do I mean footprint). And it's creaky, less stable, and the buttons started popping off the upholstered top... well, there you are.

A NEW, UNASSEMBLED, STANDARD, VINYL, EBONY, SATIN-FINISHED, J-3 SPADE-LEGGED, JANSEN ARTIST BENCH -- WITH STEINWAY KNOBS -- IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING..."

So, what kind of luck is that? A meteorite crashed through the roof and destroyed the Steinway, but luckily spared the Jansen bench? A fire burned down the house and the piano, but the bench was saved? There's surely some backstory to this find of fortune.

Jeff, can you tell me what heights the Jansen bench accommodates? In other words, from "x" inches from the floor (to top of bench) to "y" inches ? Is it possible to measure this? I just found out I am sitting a bit low on my non-adjustable ,cheap bench and I'd rather not use soft tiles or pillows or carpet remnants . Thanks for any info!

#1847981 - 02/19/12 06:03 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
18" - 21" with standard legs. If you need more or less height, the bench can be ordered with longer or shorter legs. I have a standard height Jansen purchased from pianosupplies.com (owned by Mr. Piano World). The bench is superb with an amazing mechanism and nice thick high quality vinyl cover. One would be hard pressed to swear it isn't leather.

flickr

#1847992 - 02/19/12 06:17 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joy, Paul L. Jansen & Sons website
http://www.pljansen.com/index.php
sort of answers your question... I think. They seem to have left some measurements off the Standard Artist's Bench page. There's a contact e-mail and phone, if not. Or,
http://www.pianosupplies.com/
http://www.pianosupplies.com/pianos/JansenArtist.html
should be able to say the information.

What I see is:
"...We offer artist benches in four unique sizes: petite, standard, duet and petite/duet. The height adjustment for the petite, standard and duet size is 18” to 21” with standard length legs (14”)." I see a photo showing nine different leg styles and finishes, but not the leg heights available. My piano store either knew, or called them, and I got the next size longer than standard.

If you can figure this out in advance and order the size leg you want to begin with, you might save some money over what I did: ordering the longer legs (about $90) afterward. Staving off back pain trumped everything else, in my case, and for me the longer leg beat trying to make it work out with ever-treacherous cushions, etc.

My piano tech said he could order the bench for me, but in the event being able to try it for size in the store could be a real advantage.

#1848662 - 02/20/12 07:34 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Jeff Clef]
Scott Prell Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
"Try one."

He said it was a gift. But it definitely came with a Steinway piano since there were only Steinway knobs -- not the normal knobs and the Steinway knobs added in addition. It was also in a Steinway box.

#1849544 - 02/22/12 10:17 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
For your amusement! I bought a Baldwin SD10 and two artist benches from a musician in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. All had been submerged, likely for a couple of days. I paid $500 for the lot, no extra charge for the black mold. I disassembled and sandblasted both mechanisms on the artist benches (one of which was a Janssen) recovered and reassembled both. Both are back in action and working great, all the more amazing considering it was salt water and they were rusted solid initially. I just removed the soundboard from the SD10. All of the case beams have delaminated, but as a restoration project for my retirement it is unparalleled. It will necessitate complete disassembly down to the bare rim one beam at a time.

I rationalized the deal by saying that I bought two artist benches for $500 and the SD10 just sweetened the deal.

#1849553 - 02/22/12 10:36 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Great deal, and a great project to go with it!!

#1850282 - 02/23/12 04:16 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: John Pels]
Scott Prell Offline

Originally Posted By: John Pels
For your amusement! I bought a Baldwin SD10 and two artist benches from a musician in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. All had been submerged, likely for a couple of days. I paid $500 for the lot, no extra charge for the black mold. I disassembled and sandblasted both mechanisms on the artist benches (one of which was a Janssen) recovered and reassembled both. Both are back in action and working great, all the more amazing considering it was salt water and they were rusted solid initially. I just removed the soundboard from the SD10. All of the case beams have delaminated, but as a restoration project for my retirement it is unparalleled. It will necessitate complete disassembly down to the bare rim one beam at a time.

I rationalized the deal by saying that I bought two artist benches for $500 and the SD10 just sweetened the deal.

I would pay $500 NOT to have to do all that work!

#1850359 - 02/23/12 06:30 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Scott Prell]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Prell
Originally Posted By: John Pels

I would pay $500 NOT to have to do all that work!

Send it over and I can make that happen! wink

#1885383 - 04/24/12 12:26 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Michael Taylor Offline

I had to dig up this old post.....so that I can confess......I bought a Jansen bench! I really like it....it's worth the $$$$.

#1936754 - 08/03/12 06:16 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Terry Sham Offline

I would like to buy a Jansen Standard Artist Piano Bench recently. Is it worth to upgrade the upholstery from vinyl to leather for $330? Thanks for your advice!

Edited by Terry Sham (08/03/12 11:36 AM)

#1936814 - 08/03/12 10:04 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"...Is it worth to upgrade the upholstery from vinyl to leather for $330?..."

No. The vinyl is fine, and the bench costs enough as it is. But it might be worth your while to check the leg length and the approx. 3-inch benchtop travel to see if that works for the length of your leg and torso. You can order legs of a different length than those supplied, for about $100.

#1936821 - 08/03/12 10:27 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Except for the smell of fine leather, I don't find it to be any performance upgrade from the top quality vinyl upholstery that Jansen uses.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1936885 - 08/03/12 01:07 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I am glad that this thread just popped up again. It arrived at an appropriate time.

FWIW -----

I just purchased a new bench which was not a Jansen. I already own a Jansen for one of my pianos, and I was considering another, with a gloss mahogany finish, to match another instrument. By chance, while bouncing around eBay, I came upon a sale of the Frederick benches. I know this dealership, it is well respected in our area, and it got me thinking. So, I went to their non-eBay homepage and they were offering the same prices through their site or in their stores. They even had a "best offer" option. Why not try it?

Through the store, you requested a shipping quote, and it was $10.00 less than the flat rate shipping through eBay. I decided to give it a go. I placed the order on Monday and the bench was delivered on Wednesday. I now have it assembled and am very pleased.

Being able to have both brands side-by-side, and upside down, really gave me a chance to make a direct comparison. It's just like shopping for a piano and comparing across different price lines. The Frederick is a good product and is very similar in concept and design as the Jansen. It's like making a comparison between a piano like Charles Walter and an import such as Hailun. Familiar situations occur at PW all of the time.

The Frederick is of very high quality in construction, fit, and finish. It holds its own against the Jansen. I am totally satisfied and don't regret my purchase or decision to give it a try.

OK, here's the bottom line. I am delighted with the product, and even with the added cost of trucking, it came in under $200.00. I think it is a great price for an excellent product.

If you are looking for an artist type bench, it's definitly worth a look.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1937053 - 08/03/12 06:59 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
With all due respect to everyone on this thread, I haven't heard much here accurate about Cadillacs or Rolls Royces. (Don't mean to be off topic) Cadillacs have entirely different engines than Chevrolet and always have had. Buick recently had an option on the Lucerne which offered a Cadillac Northstar engine. GM has never supplied engines to Rolls Royce, they are well known for their own engines, both automotive and aircraft. Current model Rolls have a 12 cylinder engine made by BMW, who now owns Rolls. GM did produce automatic transmissions and radios that were purchased by Rolls. I hope I didn't step on any feet here, but I'm the car guy. (in the business, with Cads and Rolls' on the lot)
Forgive me for this post, Now let's get back to pianos! (I have a Jansen leather bench, and like it very much)

#1937054 - 08/03/12 06:59 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
thetandyman Offline

With all due respect to everyone on this thread, I haven't heard much here accurate about Cadillacs or Rolls Royces. (Don't mean to be off topic) Cadillacs have entirely different engines than Chevrolet and always have had. Buick recently had an option on the Lucerne which offered a Cadillac Northstar engine. GM has never supplied engines to Rolls Royce, they are well known for their own engines, both automotive and aircraft. Current model Rolls have a 12 cylinder engine made by BMW, who now owns Rolls. GM did produce automatic transmissions and radios that were purchased by Rolls. I hope I didn't step on any feet here, but I'm the car guy. (in the business, with Cads and Rolls' on the lot)
Forgive me for this post, Now let's get back to pianos! (I have a Jansen leather bench, and like it very much)

#1937065 - 08/03/12 07:46 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Michael Taylor Offline

I'm a car guy too. Chevy and Caddy HAVE shared the same engine numerous times. GM has supplied engines to RR many years ago. Not a car forum, so I'll stop.

I bought a Jansen bench with vinyl. I love it. My "old" bench squeaked too much. The Jansen bench is sturdy, comfortable and quiet. Now if I only had a place to put my sheet music!

#1937092 - 08/03/12 09:09 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
thetandyman Offline

As it turns out, both Michael and I own Jansen benches and each like them much. As to the car discussion, I have Messaged him, and we will sort this out privately! LOL!

#1937109 - 08/03/12 10:22 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
...I came upon a sale of the Frederick benches. I know this dealership, it is well respected in our area...

My wife ordered the Frederick Adjustable Piano Chair in February from this same dealership. (At least I think it must be the same place; Frederick doesn't seem to sell through any other retailers.) It hasn't come, and every time we inquire the estimated delivery date was always a few weeks away. We cancelled the order earlier this week, because we felt like we were getting the run-around. Based on your experience, we might try a different bench - would you mind sharing which one you got?
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#1937110 - 08/03/12 10:22 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Minnesota Marty]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
...I came upon a sale of the Frederick benches. I know this dealership, it is well respected in our area...

My wife ordered the Frederick Adjustable Piano Chair in February from this same dealership. (At least I think it must be the same place; Frederick doesn't seem to sell through any other retailers.) It hasn't come, and every time we inquire the estimated delivery date was always a few weeks away. We cancelled the order earlier this week, because we felt like we were getting the run-around. Based on your experience, we might try a different bench - would you mind sharing which one you got?
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#1937118 - 08/03/12 10:56 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
thetandyman Offline

I'll be honest, I got my Jansen bench from a wealthy widow who died, and I bought her Clavinova with the bench. When I bought the Yamaha grand, I switched benches. Now the clavinaova has the original Yamaha grand bench. There you have it, I have come clean!

#1937120 - 08/03/12 11:03 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: jmcintyre]

Hi,

I got the 'single' Adjustable Concert Series Bench. It is the one with the deeply tufted top. You can also get it in a 'duet' size. It is exactly what you would envision as a Jansen Artist Bench. It is available in various finishes.

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/piano-bench.../prod_6122.html

Sorry about your problems. My transaction was smooth as silk. You might call Troy Laabs directly at the Stevens Point location.

#1937124 - 08/03/12 11:29 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
HWU Offline

Hi Marty,
How's the vinyl quality compare to jansen's, the leather top is not much extra though.
Any squeky noise when adjusting the lever?

#1937132 - 08/03/12 11:55 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've seen a lot of mechanical benches over the years and regardless of price or other materials used, nothing has ever been close to Jansen's mechanism. We've had some really high dollar European made benches with gorgeous fittings and buttery leather but the mechanisms were laughable by comparison. I'm delighted with the HM hydraulic benches that we order, but their crank style is not as good. It's just not fair to compare other crack-style benches to the precision made Jansen. Sorry Marty if this seems strong, and I hope your other bench performs well for you, but they all follow the same pattern after regular use and time.

No one can currently match Jansen quality at a lower price. It's good there are cheaper benches for most budgets, but they will not perform the same.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1937134 - 08/04/12 12:00 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]

Hi Hwu - Welcome to Piano World!

The vinyl appears to be of very high quality, only time will tell. Visually it appears identical to the Jansen, with the difference that the Jansen has a bit more sheen from use at the contact areas.

Absolutely no noise from either mechanism. If either bench would develop a squeek, it would be simple to lube as the bottoms are open with the mechanisms exposed.

The legs are attached in a standard chair leg fashion (a bolt through a bracket with pressure from the leg to the frame), on both benches. Experience has taught me that this type of leg can cause a click or creek with a weight shift. My dad, a carpenter, taught me a trick long ago. Lightly rubbing a hard bar of soap on the butt end of the frame, where it meets the leg, prior to setting the leg into the brackets will prevent the problem. One of my Jansens used to drive me nuts and this was the same methiod I used to solve the problem. It's much easier to do at the initial assembly.

Though I like leather upholstery in general, I don't think it would be as durable as the vinyl on a piano bench. The leather would also become shinier over time and does need periodic emolument treatment.

#1937141 - 08/04/12 12:35 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]

Sam, a bench doesn't perform, a pianist does. A bench functions. Didn't I use the analogy of a Walter and a Hailun? Not everyone is able or willing to plunk out the funds for a Jansen. I have two of them, and they are exceptional, durable products. At first inspection, and with the assembly, I believe the Frederick to be a very good product at a very moderate price.

Never did I claim that it was better than a Jansen. That would be akin to an owner of a Lester trying to say it is as good as Steingraeber. However, I would put the Frederick sort of as a Kawai in the midst of the quality range. The aura and bickering of piano name snobbery need not extend to the bench.

I happen to be the owner of three Steinways, all rebuilt and kept in top condition, but I don't get involved in the 'this is better than that' debates. As a performing classical pianist, my butt is usualy on a Jansen bench, whether at home or on the stage.

Please take the time to re-read my initial posting. You will find that you are making incorrect assumptions about what I actually said.

Regards,

#1937160 - 08/04/12 03:28 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
HWU Offline

Hi Sam,
What do you mean when you say crank style?
I just looked at HM bench, model bc39 is very similar to jansen, price is cheaper too.

#1937279 - 08/04/12 11:38 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry Minnesota, but I believe Sam.

#1937286 - 08/04/12 12:25 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Steve W Offline

One thing I know is that Jansen sells replacement parts in the event that you ever wear out any part of the lift mechanism. I imagine that happens mostly in benches used in professional settings where they are adjusted several times a day and that the average homeowner would use their bench for a lifetime without having to do any part replacement.

I did have a cheaper bench with a "crank" handle before biting the bullet and buying a Jansen. The metal on the scissors part of the lift mechanism kept breaking. I had it welded once and it worked for another 6 months or so until it broke again. Enough was enough at that point.

#1937319 - 08/04/12 01:34 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

HWU,

Mechanisms for adjustable benches come in 3 styles: crank style refers to a threaded rod and scissor lift for fine, continuous height adjustment, there are spring-loaded scissor lift mechanisms that will have several height choices, but no crank and therefore no continuous adjustments, type 3 is hydraulic - also continuous. There are straight hydraulic, like HM's BM-45H or hydraulically controlled scissor lifts (HM makes a hydraulic version of the BC-39...BM-39H??).

When adjustable benches have problems, it is generally in 3 areas - the leg joints, the scissor lift, or the upholstery. More rare is finish issues, but they occur.

Unlike pianos, bench making is a short and simple manufacturing process. At some point, some company may find a more efficient way to produce to Jansen's quality, but I hear many great new bench company stories and a couple of years later, they have the same rocks and squeaks that all the rest develop. A little rocking and squeaking isn't the end of the world, but that's part of what I refer to when I speak about a bench's performance. Another is the upholstery itself. Not only is the quality of the vinyl/leather a huge variable, but also the physical folds and stitching. HM may be able to match Jansen in this regard but most do not.

We have a variety of benches in our rental pool. We have a handful really expensive Burghardt benches with buttons missing and cranks so stiff that children and even most adults can barely turn after only a few years. We have even older Jansen benches and the wear is only surface deep and they are still easy to turn. They are easier to service even though they need it less often.

While I've seen them, I do not have lasting experience with HM's crank style benches. I do not think their scissor mechanism is quite as good as Jansen's because nobody's is. I have extremely good feedback about their hydraulic benches over the last year from some of the Universities that have used them. I understand Juilliard is also a fan of the hydraulic HM benches. So, FWIW, HM is a good company with good products, but I'll leave you to try and report on the BM-39.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1937351 - 08/04/12 02:55 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]

Never did I state that the Frederick bench was better than, or even equal to, a Jansen bench. Please read what I wrote. I only commented with my observation of a product which is new to me. Belief doesn't even enter into in it. Do you not believe that I just purchased a new bench? Do you not believe my comments to be apropos to this thread?

Jeff, I have a name. I am not a state.

Sam, have you had any direct experience with the Frederick bench? It's like saying that nothing could possibly ever be a good as a Bosendorfer when comparing apples to oranges. It would be like you recommending that a Hailun shouldn't be purchased because it is not the quality of a Grotrian.

If anyone can find where I said something like 'the Frederick is the best bench on the market,' I sure would like to see it. I don't happen to believe it is. But, it is available, and built to a certain price point, and I merely provided information that it exists, and thought that I would give it a try.

In the comming weeks I may discover that it is a piece of crap. I don't know that yet. I commented on something based only on visual inspection. Out of the box, I was more impressed with it than I thought I would be, for what I paid.

#1937395 - 08/04/12 05:53 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Marty, deep breath.

I'm not criticizing you or your bench. You made the statement that it holds its own next to the Jansen, and I felt that judgment was premature and defied my common sense. I'm not going to bluster or get defensive. I'm not carrying over to other brands or analogies in this case because I don't believe the world of pianos offers one.

I'm offering a opinion based upon lots of reasonable experiences. At NAMM, Chinese bench makers are all lined up representing different factories. Frederick is the dealer's house brand from one of those factories. While some of these are vastly better than others, not one of them has the same approach to machining of parts and other elements of quality that Jansen uses to intentionally set themselves apart. Neither do most European makers (most set themselves apart with luxury leathers and custom finishes). We're talking about milled parts vs. stamped parts, steel vs. pot metal, and levels of precision tolerances. If a Chinese company took it upon themselves to adopt these designs, they could, but the added cost takes them away from their market...the masses. As of now, that's not where they are focusing their efforts.

FYI, did you know that a NWS Edition Schimmel bench (if sold separately) retails for over $6,000? It's a beautiful thing, but learning that made my jaw drop.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#1951571 - 08/30/12 02:52 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: PianoWorksATL]
BostonMark Offline

Saturday I bought a used artist bench after checking out a piano store. They had been a Schimmel dealer some years ago. The bench was branded Schimmel on the height adjustment knobs as the friend its intended for has a Schimmel 174 grand following having had a Schimmel upright. After a couple years of daily playing, the Chinese, $200 Ebay bench she has became wobbly. I have frequently lubricated the lift mechanism to stop squeaks and twice tightened up the legs. The bench would be perfectly fine except for the lift rails and scissor pieces made of stamped sheet steel with rivets for axles, that have worn and become hopelessly loose. The side to side movement of playing simply takes its toll over time. Durability and serviceability is what you get with the premium benches. Doing some maintenance with care of the seat, legs, and mechanism lubrication help extend life.

The bench I bought did not wobble at all. It was probably made by Burghardt based on the mechanism design, being German, and missing some buttons! I will get the buttons fixed at a local upholstery shop, so no problem. The piano store had lots of used benches for me to examine. A number were Jansen, looked quite experienced, but did wobble. That is no problem as replacement scissor lift and other parts are readily available. None were labeled Schimmel, unfortunately.

I've yet to see an Italian Lanzani bench in person, in particular the Habermann model with tilted seat seems interesting. I wonder how long before hydraulic lift benches will need replacement of the nitrogen charged pistons as the ones on car hatches all eventually lose pressure (obligatory car reference). The ease and speed of changing height is very attractive for teachers and practice rooms.

#1952867 - 09/02/12 05:37 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Terry Sham]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Terry Sham
I would like to buy a Jansen Standard Artist Piano Bench recently. Is it worth to upgrade the upholstery from vinyl to leather for $330? Thanks for your advice!

It is only worth the upgrade to leather if you ALSO have my cat come over and custom perforate the leather for you like mine.... I can make the cat available at a very reasonable fee... LOL

#1952874 - 09/02/12 06:25 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I too wish i had thought to upgrade to a duet bench.. Who would have thought that years down the road, I'd be avidly teaching.

Those benches ae heavy!

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1952896 - 09/02/12 07:59 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
The HM (Hidrau Model) benches are actually pneumatic, not hydraulic. They used nitrogen filled pistons.

#1953087 - 09/02/12 06:28 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: BoseEric]
Karl Watson Offline

I believe that a deluxe Jansen bench is in my future. At least stateside, that's all there is. I've actually owned one some years back, but it, like its lesser brothers, developed a kind-of loose, rocking from side to side.

I currently own a vintage Steinway bench from the '30s. Its mechanism is somewhat simpler than the Jansen, but MUCH more substanial. It is ROCK solid, not to mention of a higher quality THROUGHOUT.

#1953126 - 09/02/12 08:56 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Karl Watson]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1953179 - 09/02/12 11:59 PM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I found a ten year-old Rieger Kloss 5'8" grand for a friend recently, new condition, hardly-played, for $5K. We went to the seller's house to look at it, and they bought a Jansen leather DUET bench when they bought it, and it was included in the asking price of the piano.

My friend scored...

#1953201 - 09/03/12 01:33 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Marty, if possible could you shoot a picture of the underside of your new bench. I am curious about how they execute the mechanism.
Thanks, John Pels

#1953647 - 09/04/12 02:10 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: Karl Watson]
BostonMark Offline

Originally Posted By: Karl Watson
I believe that a deluxe Jansen bench is in my future. At least stateside, that's all there is. I've actually owned one some years back, but it, like its lesser brothers, developed a kind-of loose, rocking from side to side.

Jansen makes and sells bushing repair kits exactly for fixing the rocking. $25-$35 for the parts is much cheaper than getting another bench. I've not seen such refurb parts for any other benches so affordable and available as Jansen.

BTW, my friend loved the Schimmel/Burghardt concert pro bench I found for her - much more comfortable for her hours of daily playing. The height adjustment was stiff, but seems by design so the seat won't sink on its own. Sticky grease was used on the screw. I replaced with non-sticky and sprayed in some white grease in the oil holes near the knobs. Much easier.

#1953723 - 09/04/12 08:48 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"...I see Mr. Jansen every year at NAMM and it's like an ongoing skit. Me-"Hi I have two of your benches, they're great but the foam is getting a little compressed". Him- "We can certainly rebuild that for you, send it in". He then gives me his card and I swear to myself..."

See, this is my idea of meeting a real celebrity. Don't believe it? Ask him to autograph his card next time, then see how much you can get for it on E-Bay.

I should just send them a thank-you note, and never mind the autograph.

Do you ever wonder? At piano solo concerts, the artiste comes out on stage, bows, sits, and adjusts the bench height. Are we to believe that he has not, just before the concert, already adjusted it? That he has grown to a different size in the interval? That prankish imps have come up on stage and changed the bench height, or have exchanged the piano's legs for a different size?

In the days before Jansen benches, what did they do?

#1961923 - 09/21/12 03:10 AM Re: Jansen Artist Bench [Re: David Xavi]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re the difference between the Jansen vinyl and leather benches, I strongly recommend going for the leather if the price difference is at all doable.

Not long ago, I came across nearly new second-hand vinyl Jansen bench on sale at a dealer's; it would have been in mint condition, but the owner's dog had mauled the corner. When I handled the torn edges, the vinyl felt surprisingly soft and thin, not at all equivalent to leather. (I sew and have handled much heavier vinyls, which I what I'd expected to feel after reading so often that the vinyl is very high quality.) I believe that the exceptional padding Jansen uses makes the vinyl feel and appear very firm and smooth when new -- but I don't believe it could possibly hold up as well as leather over the years and decades.

Got my own new Jansen bench not long after. In leather, of course. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, 43 invisible), 1494 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153622 Topics
2251628 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission