2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I meant to reference the entire thread.

J
J
Hello
Thought I'd share my experience on this topic having bought
a Roland HP307 PE 14 months ago. Started noticing a roughening
in the commonly used middle register area a few weeks ago . .
on closer inspection . . displays all the classic Key top wear
as described here and elsewhere. . Not happy at all on a 3K DP . . Anyway, contacted Thomann in Germany ( they gave a 2 year warranty ) and it's shipping back to them from the UK in the next week or so . .Why they couldn't just send a Roland engineer out from the UK is beyond me . .but at least they are going to resolve the problem, I hope, let you know how it goes.

G
G
So this is still an issue? I Was planning on picking up a HP-305 =/

J
J
There's a load of folks on the Roland forums with similar experiences . . I'm
a bit concerned about the guy who had 3 replacement Keyboards from Roland, all
of which had the same Key top wear within a short period . . .Has Roland fixed this
problem . .does anyone know ? I love the action on the Rolands but cannot help
but feel I should have stuck with Yamaha now.

Originally Posted by jarrett42
of which had the same Key top wear within a short period . . .Has Roland fixed this

Back in December, I had to call Roland because of the key wear
problem on my HP-305.

10 days later, a technician was at my home to replace all the white keys. I am happy to say that after 3 months, the keys are still in perfect condition.

I have to say I got great service from Roland.

Hope this help

Regards

Self taught adult beginner since September 2009 ( Man, I REALLY need a teacher ... )
Roland HP-305
R
R

I think it must still be a problem, seen as though it's happening with my NX which is the latest of their stage pianos. I don't know if Cohenfan just got lucky when all the keys were replaced and are now okay... why should they be okay and not the new ones being used on the NX?! Crazy.

Even if I did get a replacement, it would only fix it for a few weeks, so it doesn't seem worth it!

Originally Posted by JHbackingtracks

I think it must still be a problem, seen as though it's happening with my NX which is the latest of their stage pianos. I don't know if Cohenfan just got lucky when all the keys were replaced and are now okay... why should they be okay and not the new ones being used on the NX?! Crazy.

Even if I did get a replacement, it would only fix it for a few weeks, so it doesn't seem worth it!

I agree with you, it is kind of crazy because it seems there is no logic concerning this particular problem.

For now, I decided to keep my piano considering that I just love the touch and sound of this piano and, as of right now, I feel the competition do not have something better IMHO.

This summer, I plan to go try the new CLP-Series from Yamaha hoping it will be a big improvement over there current models.

For now, I just hope I won't have to deal with this problem anymore. So far so good ...

Regards

Self taught adult beginner since September 2009 ( Man, I REALLY need a teacher ... )
Roland HP-305
J
J
Update for those of you interested in the Roland Ivory feel key top wear issue !

My Hp307 is now enroute back from Thomann, Germany . . They seemingly just shipped
the unit on to Roland for repair . . They say a replacement keyboard has been fitted . .
despite my sending 3 emails explaining that Roland have been fitting the same (
if not similar ) keyboards for other customers that have displayed the same wear
symptoms soon after replacement .. . Sofar they have dodged my requests for detailed
information regarding this problem. My last email to them simply asked for an assurance
that Roland has solved the problem and are not fitting keyboards with this proven design flaw .. .
No response from Thomann . . .

If this replacement board soon starts showing signs of wear, and i'll be monitoring this closely .. .
This piano will be be on a one way journey back to Germany. . . I'll let you know soon !

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I got HP307, exact same issue with keys, they had bad wear after a matter of months! rang Roland and they sorted it out, whole new keyboard replaced smile you must register your piano on the Roland website to get full 3 year warranty (well in UK anyway).

There is no way you have to pay for the keys if you are still in warranty, period. There is no excuse possible for them not to send a person round to your house to fix your issue.

Also I must add, the new keyboard is fine, no visible wear at all, and thats after playing it more than before (and with longer fingernails) and for a good few months again now.

They must have fixed the issue with the keyboards wear, well I seriously doubt thats the case actually, maybe I was just luckier this time.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For the record, I use my FP7F heavily (hours a day) and I see no wear. It's been 6 months.

So I'm hoping this issue has been resolved.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

J
J
Just a last and final note about this business ... I received
my HP307 back from the retailer who had just sent it on to Roland
in Europe ( Italy, I Think ) for keyboard replacement. . . The
so-called new keyboard arrived with dark sub-surface marks on some centre keys . .. When you shone a light on the other keys, on very close inspection, the surface was covered in what looked like polishing marks, like this keyboard had been re-surfaced ( badly ) .. . .. Without further ado I shipped it back to the retailer who agreed to refund a large proportion of the purchase price. End of a very long and tiresome journey, Goodbye Roland. Great keyboard action with the PHAIII, shame they don't put a proper plastic keyboard surface on there !!! Maybe
they should give Yamaha a ring and ask them how to do it !

Last edited by jarrett42; 06/17/11 02:20 PM.
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
oh dear...I spoke too soon... scratches already starting to appear again frown look at the date of my post!!!!!!!!!!!!! so this time its only taken a month to go wrong again.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
oh dear...I spoke too soon... scratches already starting to appear again frown look at the date of my post!!!!!!!!!!!!! so this time its only taken a month to go wrong again.

If I were you I would ask for a non ivory feel keybed replacement. It seems Roland has done it for others here.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Should not have to Dewster, its not my problem, its completely their problem to sort out, I want a full refund at this rate, not letting this slip. Switching to Yamaha CLP-470 I think, though not 100% on that as I am guessing its not as good as the HP307.

C
C
If you can, try out the Kawai CA-93. Better overall sound and action IMHO and should cost less than the HP307.

Last edited by Coker; 06/18/11 07:24 AM.

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ok thanks Coker, but I dont think there are many Kawai dealers in UK where I can try one out, its Roland and Yamamha mainly where I live.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I cannot understand why the companies sell instruments with all those defect. I suppose that they should have a quality control.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
Should not have to Dewster, its not my problem, its completely their problem to sort out, I want a full refund at this rate, not letting this slip.

If I had the choice between ivory feel and non ivory feel on our NX I would probably opt for the non. So if this were to happen on our NX I'd see it as an opportunity to get an option that wasn't available when we bought it, rather than as an opportunity to stick it to Roland (however much they may deserve it). Though I understand how you must feel and I do sympathize with your plight.

Originally Posted by mwf
Switching to Yamaha CLP-470 I think, though not 100% on that as I am guessing its not as good as the HP307.

I'm not aware of anything Yamaha currently has that comes close to Roland's SN technology - you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Aesthetically speaking, what's your take on the SN piano sound in the HP307?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
Ok thanks Coker, but I dont think there are many Kawai dealers in UK where I can try one out, its Roland and Yamamha mainly where I live.

Try the dealer locator on the Kawai Europe site:

http://www.kawai.de/dealers_en.htm?scat=1&scountry=GB&stext=peterborough

In addition, there's also Cookes Pianos over in Norwich.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
There is a place in Cambridge that could be worth checking out, if you haven't already:

Cambridge Pianoforte
10-12 Kings Hedges Road
Cambridge
01223 424 007

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission