Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1668041 - 04/28/11 12:44 PM Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound?
Theodore Slutz Offline

Loc: California
I have heard people say caster cup material affects the sound or resonance of a piano, ie... plastic versus wood caster cups.

Opinions or experiences anyone?

Thanks for the input.

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1668052 - 04/28/11 01:23 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: Theodore Slutz
I have heard people say caster cup material affects the sound or resonance of a piano, ie... plastic versus wood caster cups.

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm...what color plastic you talking?

#1668057 - 04/28/11 01:34 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I think not...

#1668085 - 04/28/11 02:52 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I think not, when it comes to wood vs. plastic. But there is a specific model of caster cup out there that is designed to reduce sound transmission through the floor...Piattino. Maybe that's what you heard about.

www.josephkubera.com

#1668152 - 04/28/11 05:18 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
EVERYTHING affects sound. Whether or not it is perceivable or measurable enough to bother about is another question but over at gearslutz there's a thread going on that over whether or not plastic from the 50-60's is warmer sounding that new plastic.

Seriously, the state of your sinuses on any given day is bigger variable in how your piano sounds than what kind of caster cups you use.

Kurt

#1668156 - 04/28/11 05:28 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: KurtZ]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
...over at gearslutz there's a thread going on that ...

Coincidence that the OP is "Theodore Slutz?" Not likely. I'd say just about as likely as plastic vs. wood caster cups making a noticeable difference in the sound of your piano. Just sayin'.

#1668173 - 04/28/11 06:11 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Legal Beagle]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
This subject reminds me on discussion/publication on audio forums/websites where audible differnces are claimed of various spikes for loudspeaker cabinets.

Sometimes the spikes are as expensive as the loudspeakers cabinets themselves! shocked

schwammerl.

#1668197 - 04/28/11 06:50 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Furtwangler]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Furtwangler
Originally Posted By: Theodore Slutz

Thanks for the input.

Hmmm...what color plastic you talking?

That made my day!

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1668198 - 04/28/11 06:51 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: schwammerl]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: schwammerl
This subject reminds me on discussion/publication on audio forums/websites where audible differnces are claimed of various spikes for loudspeaker cabinets.
Agreed. However, relative to the sound body, the 3 legs are serving as the spikes, and its no accident that most casters are brass. The cups are really serving as the floor which is why the effect is so minimal. It would be just as valid to discuss what layers of flooring are below the cups and argue the merits of that.

If in any room there were only 100 variables that affected the acoustics of a piano (if only!), then I would guess that caster cups would rank in the mid-90's with low importance.

If it weren't for the pedals (and the rocking it would cause) I would assume that someone would develop cradles to suspend the piano on wires just like a high-end microphone.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1668201 - 04/28/11 07:01 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I have concrete floors in my shop area of my premises.
If I have a grand piano without the strings installed and tap the soundboard it sounds way different with wood caster cups underneath vs no caster cups.

With caster cups the resonance of the sound board increases in volume and booms.

So I believe there must be a difference.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1668223 - 04/28/11 07:59 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: schwammerl
If it weren't for the pedals (and the rocking it would cause) I would assume that someone would develop cradles to suspend the piano on wires just like a high-end microphone.

Sounds like a plan. Just do the engineering, develop a business plan and find the right investor! grin

www.josephkubera.com

#1668230 - 04/28/11 08:38 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
TeriLyn Offline

Loc: Utah
Interesting, I noticed a slight difference when I placed wood caster cups under my grand piano---it seemed to make it slightly louder.

(I thought it was just my ears! But I did notice a little difference.)

#1668254 - 04/28/11 09:41 PM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I guess I'll add to my earlier post. If your piano caster was previously in contact with an absorbing material like carpet or concrete (or even the softer, slightly flexible plastic cups) then instead is placed in a hardwood or harder lucite caster cup, then that makes sense to hear some effect. To the OP, in comparison of a hard plastic vs. hardwood caster cup, I could not determine any appreciable difference.

Absorbing material dampens the leg vibrations making the piano more "suspended" and less connected to the resistance of the bigger vibrating body (the floor). Less connection = less reflection of energy back into the sounding body of the piano. If a hardwood caster cup give you a better connection to the ground (by virtue of its material properties or its shape) you'll get more reflection. Sometimes that is good and sometimes not. If, instead, the piano was attached to the floor, it would vibrate like a spring.

Actually, Bosendorfer offers a special designated "Yacht" model that has optional longer legs with mounting floor pins (for more obvious reasons of being on a moving boat) and there is this curious side effect. Not sure if I would call it a benefit or not.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1668454 - 04/29/11 10:05 AM Re: Who here feels caster cup material affects the sound? [Re: Theodore Slutz]
Theodore Slutz Offline

Loc: California
good points... thanks for the input everyone

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
10/31/14 03:22 AM
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
10/31/14 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
10/30/14 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
10/30/14 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
10/30/14 09:44 PM
Who's Online
60 registered (Anne H, AZNpiano, alberto, BB Player, 13 invisible), 1576 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158629 Topics
2329777 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission