2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by ilychy
5/10
6/10

WOW, somebody followed directions laugh

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I just to let you know if this is prescreening they will hear 20 seconds of each, MAX. Actually maybe even less... Believe me that's enough to tell.

This is absolutely true. Just as in life, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

For example, here are my impressions of the first 20 seconds of the Beethoven:

1) Voicing and basic tone is good
2) First high C is staccato, second high C isn't (inconsistent articulation, and the slur is marked)
3) Third measure comes in early and is at a slightly different tempo than the first two
4) There's a hint of ritard, but only a hint in mm. 3-6
5) Several details are observed - the rests in mm. 1-2, the fact that the crescendo starts in m. 4 and not the bar before
6) In m. 8, the 16ths are played rubato, but I prefer them a tempo like the bar before
7) Pedaling is basically good

As a result, my "first impression" is that you're listening well to the quality of sound you're making, but there's some inconsistency in articulation and rhythm/tempo.

Listening to the rest of the recording, I find these first impressions confirmed. The general sound is good, but there's a lack of refinement in articulation and tempo. It sounds like you get the basic idea of Beethoven and enjoy the piece, but haven't spent a lot of time on detail work (slow practice, repeating short phrases, refining transitions between sections and where the texture or rhythm changes, working with a metronome to check consistency of tempo.)

wow, this is the best critique ever! I will take into account your points ! Indeed I need to work with a metronome! Terrific!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
No wonder we are confused, Dustin :

Please listen if you would be so kind and just give me a 1 - 10 for what you think if you were judging. (1669100)

Oh and can't anyone say anything sort of nice about the recordings? lol - I mean I like criticism , but....(1669151)

I'm really just asking for a simple rating. I don't really need all the criticism LOL , except only to verify what I already know about the recordings. (1669172)

Critique also doesn't only consist of pointing out everything that is wrong ...(1669260)

The beethoven is not good , I know. But I really didn't touch it for a week ... went through it a few times one day, then recorded it on a whim. (1669278)

I'm gonna record the Beethoven again Sunday night and Monday , the day I need to send the CD in. Then you can tell me if I need a teacher (1669278)

but I didn't actually ask for 'criticism' or 'critiques' , just a simple rating. (1669421)

WOW, somebody followed directions (1669542) (rating and no comments)

this is the best critique ever! (1669544)

Some give you critiques and you say that's not what you want. Someone else gives you a critique, and you say it's the best ever. Some give you a rating, and you ignore it, while someone else gives you a rating and you claim he followed directions.

What do you want?

More importantly, it really does surprise me that you state that you know the Beethoven is bad but that, at the same time, you think that one more day of practicing is going to bring it up to a competition standard that's going to get you past the preliminary stage.

It would have been helpful, although you ignored the request, to tell us something about this particular competition so that those you were asking to judge your playing could put your efforts into a context that might have helped justify a simple 1-10 rating.

One can but wish you luck.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What scares me most is that this person teaches. Not good...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by stores

You had to go there.

First , you don't know my circumstances. How long I've studied the piece , how many hours I've taken really trying to put it together , how busy I've been in the past week doing other things , the face I didn't expect people to judge my teaching ability based off a recording I put together on a whim ...

Not even worth it to continue refuting your silly comment.

Oh , and to repeat. I know it's bad. I know how to make it better. My technique , ear , and understanding of Beethoven is quite sufficient to put together a professional sounding recording. But it's time and effort and I am lacking recently ... and inspiration.

So go judge somewhere else. Thnx.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
More importantly, it really does surprise me that you state that you know the Beethoven is bad but that, at the same time, you think that one more day of practicing is going to bring it up to a competition standard that's going to get you past the preliminary stage.

One can but wish you luck.

What makes you think I can't? I put 4 hours straight last night , 2 hours so far today and can get another few hours tomorrow before I have to send it in on the 2nd.

Not too difficult at all.

D
OP Offline
D
Ok everyone! Please check this thread and make all the critiques you want laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1669617.html#Post1669617

It's much better with 6 hours. Now I have to fine tune it ... and I have another 6 hours roughly to do so.

Thank you so much for listening and being totally awesome in your feedback laugh

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Dustin Sanders
Ok everyone! Please check this thread and make all the critiques you want laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1669617.html#Post1669617

It's much better with 6 hours. Now I have to fine tune it ... and I have another 6 hours roughly to do so.

Thank you so much for listening and being totally awesome in your feedback laugh

Meh, I'll just post the 2nd recording here as well , considering I did start the thread for this purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RationalArtist#p/a/u/0/0m4HLnUtkAI

I understand if nobody wants to critique me now laugh

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I was actually taking it pretty well IMO , but I didn't actually ask for 'criticism' or 'critiques' , just a simple rating.

What did you expect people to say? "2/10 and 4/10" and leave no justification for why they came up with those numbers? You might as well write a random number generator program because if you took ratings from every single member on PW who are at various levels of pianistic ability, you very likely end up with a normal-like curve with mean 5 (the mean of the rating scale). I assume the ratings to be indirectly proportional (or nearabouts) to the level of playing (or the standards that people set for themselves and for others). The distribution of levels of playing (or standards) is what I'm assuming will have a direct bearing on the distribution of ratings. (With a little bit of thinking, you might understand why that might make sense). Why then do you solicit information as useless as a rating on a 1-10 scale?

I listened to more than 2 mins of the Beethoven before I offered you my thoughts and you complained that I didn't listen to the whole thing. As Angelina pointed out, you'll be lucky if the judges listen to a fraction of that when you send in your cd's.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
5/10
6/10

You should rate our responses on a 1-10 scale now. Won't that be fun? laugh Lets do that and make the best use of the time we spend on PW.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by liszt85
5/10
6/10

You should rate our responses on a 1-10 scale now. Won't that be fun? laugh Lets do that and make the best use of the time we spend on PW.

Kreisler get's a 10 , Angelina a 3 for her first response , then a 9 (maybe) for her later responses ... stores get's a 1.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

You had to go there.

First , you don't know my circumstances. How long I've studied the piece , how many hours I've taken really trying to put it together , how busy I've been in the past week doing other things , the face I didn't expect people to judge my teaching ability based off a recording I put together on a whim ...

Not even worth it to continue refuting your silly comment.

Oh , and to repeat. I know it's bad. I know how to make it better. My technique , ear , and understanding of Beethoven is quite sufficient to put together a professional sounding recording. But it's time and effort and I am lacking recently ... and inspiration.

So go judge somewhere else. Thnx.

Think my comment silly, if you like...bothers me not. The fact is YOU posted the recordings (which I went back and listened to) and asked for critique and then didn't like the critique offered. As I stated earlier, I listened for a bit (maybe a minute) and then decided to forget it, because someone would more than likely rake me for what I had to say. You say you know that it's bad so you shouldn't be offended, yet you are. Your technique, ear, and understanding of Beethoven are sufficient to put together a professional sounding recording? Between now and when? My comment about you teaching stems from the fact that your attitude sucks in regard to criticism of your own playing yet said playing is full of fundamental errors that shouldn't be present with someone training others.
You want a rating? Fine. Were I to hear this during a competition (which is what it's for, yes?), I hate to say it, but I'd stop listening maybe a minute and a half in, give you a 3 for effort and if there were a comment sheet I'd tell you to come better prepared next time.
You want honest criticism there it is. If you don't want honest criticism then don't post recordings that you know are bad to begin with.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ok I'm going to brave the ratings for a few words that may be helpful.
Great improvement- 9/10 for improvement, and great use of piano world as cheap alternative to lessons smile. You do too many things well for me to list - sound, dynamics, interesting shaping. Congratulations on your work so far and good luck with the first round.

You understand the short slur very differently from me (my teachers). In my training it implies dynamics as well as a more distinct articulation. In competitions I assume judges have to do their best with the different schools of thought.

Following are some possible errors to consider, or ask others to confirm (I'm not an expert, I am just reading the score I have (Henle).

Bar 32 (1:04 on recording) you have a different edition to mine (?), I have an extra 2 note slur here whereas you have a quarter note on the last beat of the bar (just before the opening theme returns here).

When you don't observe the rest in bar 43 it bothers me becauses it messes up the meaning of the next bar, and is inconsistent with the opening motif (a falling interval with silence on third beat). Even though I don't know this sonate I can hear the connections (or lack of) between statements.

At 2min 30 you don't give bars 83 and 84 (both dotted half notes) their full value and it disrupts the rhythm. Try conducting as you listen to recording as it's a GREAT way to check your rhythmic meaning. Angelina's boyfriend is correct on this point grin This happens again bar 214 (after 6 mins).

Finally - the 2 bars of 4/4 at bars 158 and 159 (4:40 in the recording) - i'm sure you're edition can't have those extra pairs of 1/8 notes, but if it does please tell me!

Keep working with metronome, and conducting - always good advice I reckon smile

Let me know if this is helpful, and good luck.

Last edited by Canonie; 05/01/11 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling, clarity brevity ( a bit)

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A 3? Hahahah I was being honest... It sucked, I'm sorry. But then again, I suck too so no worries.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A 3? Hahahah I was being honest... It sucked, I'm sorry. But then again, I suck too so no worries.

Well, he should get something for the effort...thus, the 3.

♪ ≠ $

D
OP Offline
D

Oh no , a 3 for the first comment when you were being all sarcastic about how I 'only wanted great jobs and positive criticism' ... say it sucked all you want , I didn't mind that all!

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Canonie
ok I'm going to brave the ratings for a few words that may be helpful.
Great improvement- 9/10 for improvement, and great use of piano world as cheap alternative to lessons smile. You do too many things well for me to list - sound, dynamics, interesting shaping. Congratulations on your work so far and good luck with the first round.

You understand the short slur very differently from me (my teachers). In my training it implies dynamics as well as a more distinct articulation. In competitions I assume judges have to do their best with the different schools of thought.

Following are some possible errors to consider, or ask others to confirm (I'm not an expert, I am just reading the score I have (Henle).

Bar 32 (1:04 on recording) you have a different edition to mine (?), I have an extra 2 note slur here whereas you have a quarter note on the last beat of the bar (just before the opening theme returns here).

When you don't observe the rest in bar 43 it bothers me becauses it messes up the meaning of the next bar, and is inconsistent with the opening motif (a falling interval with silence on third beat). Even though I don't know this sonate I can hear the connections (or lack of) between statements.

At 2min 30 you don't give bars 83 and 84 (both dotted half notes) their full value and it disrupts the rhythm. Try conducting as you listen to recording as it's a GREAT way to check your rhythmic meaning. Angelina's boyfriend is correct on this point grin This happens again bar 214 (after 6 mins).

Finally - the 2 bars of 4/4 at bars 158 and 159 (4:40 in the recording) - i'm sure you're edition can't have those extra pairs of 1/8 notes, but if it does please tell me!

Keep working with metronome, and conducting - always good advice I reckon smile

Let me know if this is helpful, and good luck.

gahhhh!!!! I didn't realize I was missing that at bar 32 : (

I played 3 groups , but there are quite clearly 4 lol .. hmmm.

As for the other things , thank you so much for the detailed breakdown. Very helpful. I'll try conducting it !

Sorry for bothering you for not observing the rest at 43 laugh

And who is Angelinas boyfriend??

And yes , it is definitely a cheap alternative to paying for lessons Lmao.

You had to go there.

We know this circumstance:

That you have put together a competition recording on a whim.

Serious pianists do not put recordings together or enter competitions on a whim. When you ask a competition jury or a group of people to spend time listening to a recording, you at least owe them the courtesy of being prepared and presenting yourself well.

Instead, you've come across as not taking yourself very seriously. If, as you've said, you could've put together a much better recording and fix some of your own mistakes, then the question in my mind becomes: Why didn't you?

There are only two possible answers:

1) You didn't start preparing early enough.
2) You don't practice consistently or correctly.
3) Something happened in your life to push you off-track.

One would expect a good teacher to know how to avoid #1 and #2.
If the answer is #3, then you shouldn't enter the competition.

The harsh criticism you've received in this thread comes because people get a feeling that you're not putting forth your 100% best effort. It seems like you're just testing the waters, wondering if your recording is good enough for a competition that none of us know anything about.

If you want to avoid the harsh commentary you've received, I strongly suggest taking the following actions:

1) Practice every single day leading up to your recording session.
2) Make the first recording session a few weeks before the competition deadline so that you have time to thoughtfully consider the criticism you receive.
3) Tell us what the competition is, what the requirements are, who typically enters, and something about the level.
4) Tell us your background with the piece. How long have you been studying it? Is it a new work or something you've brought back for the competition? What's your competition/performance experience?

Doing all of these things will show people that you're serious about yourself, the competition, and have a healthy respect for those of us who will take the time out of our day to listen and respond to your recordings. You're basically asking for a free lesson on the internet, so you need to go the extra mile to show people that you appreciate their ideas and their time.

In this case, it doesn't seem you've gone the extra mile, with us or yourself, which has resulted in some of the responses being worth exactly what you've paid for them:

$0.00

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Any teacher I've had would skin me alive if I prepared for a competition like you did. However, it is evident that you have a lot of potential. There's no use for potential when you get to higher levels without a lot of hard work and preferably a teacher to guide you along. I think people were harsh not because your playing was really bad, but because they thought you could do better but didn't (as Kreisler pointed out). Anyway, best of luck in the competition. It will hopefully turn out to be a good learning experience for you whether you win or not. Let us know how it goes!

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler

You had to go there.

We know this circumstance:

That you have put together a competition recording on a whim.

Serious pianists do not put recordings together or enter competitions on a whim. When you ask a competition jury or a group of people to spend time listening to a recording, you at least owe them the courtesy of being prepared and presenting yourself well.

Instead, you've come across as not taking yourself very seriously. If, as you've said, you could've put together a much better recording and fix some of your own mistakes, then the question in my mind becomes: Why didn't you?

There are only two possible answers:

1) You didn't start preparing early enough.
2) You don't practice consistently or correctly.
3) Something happened in your life to push you off-track.

One would expect a good teacher to know how to avoid #1 and #2.
If the answer is #3, then you shouldn't enter the competition.

The harsh criticism you've received in this thread comes because people get a feeling that you're not putting forth your 100% best effort. It seems like you're just testing the waters, wondering if your recording is good enough for a competition that none of us know anything about.

If you want to avoid the harsh commentary you've received, I strongly suggest taking the following actions:

1) Practice every single day leading up to your recording session.
2) Make the first recording session a few weeks before the competition deadline so that you have time to thoughtfully consider the criticism you receive.
3) Tell us what the competition is, what the requirements are, who typically enters, and something about the level.
4) Tell us your background with the piece. How long have you been studying it? Is it a new work or something you've brought back for the competition? What's your competition/performance experience?

Doing all of these things will show people that you're serious about yourself, the competition, and have a healthy respect for those of us who will take the time out of our day to listen and respond to your recordings. You're basically asking for a free lesson on the internet, so you need to go the extra mile to show people that you appreciate their ideas and their time.

In this case, it doesn't seem you've gone the extra mile, with us or yourself, which has resulted in some of the responses being worth exactly what you've paid for them:

$0.00

1.) You're right, I didn't practice every day. Why? Because I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue through with it because the required piece was brutal on my ears while studying it. It was driving me up the wall having to drill in atonal stuff / chord clusters hours a day. So it put me off from practicing it. When I finally got motivated to finish it , I put the other pieces off for about a week.

2.) But again , I wasn't asking for criticism. I just wanted to know if was as bad as I thought it was bc I was feeling in a funk ... and just hated the entire situation. (Which granted , I partly put myself in.)

3.) I don't really know anything about the competition. It's called an 'International' competition , but my division is only 6 years old so the coordinator told me they are not expecting a 'huge' application turn out. I get the feeling mostly people from Maryland will be entering it.

4.) I started studying the Beethoven about one and a half months ago. Good enough time to get that together (but I was studying other things too as I wasn't really certain if I wanted to enter the competition or not.)

5.) I have never entered a competition before. My experience is mostly from accompanying vocalists and musical theatre. So I wasn't expecting the deadlines to come up so quickly!

So if you wish to know, I wasn't really taking the competition 'too' seriously. But like I said , to judge my teaching ability based off this is a bit of a low blow ... I'm not teaching concert pianists yet. I'm only 24 , trying to get a little studio together so I can one day begin my studies with a great teacher yet again.

So thank you for the feedback everyone. I didn't mean to sound defensive about the critiques , it's just everything was so negative , I just wanted one nice comment ... laugh

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission