2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 178 of 187 1 2 176 177 178 179 180 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
SC, it was hard to decipher the tones from that recording. LOL. The recording was so distorted that it actually sounded atonal.

But if I can listen closely, it really is very well done. Good structure in the arpeggios and you really know how to use space well. Don't ever change that.

Yes legato is an issue. I see this all the time from people who do legato well normally. When one improvises it's like one pulls back instead of digging in. Like hesitation and unsureness. Well that's natural in improvising. So in general, I don't think you will struggle with legato.

Don't forget to use long notes that you've done so well before. The mix is always good.

On legato - there are levels of legato. When we really want to get struct about legato, just about everyone can be cited by the legato police unless you're the likes of Keith Jarrett. It's a constant battle to achieve perfect legato and a lot of hand strength and suppleness is required.

My teacher gave me a specific exercise for developing legato that I used for years and Chris Bell posted it for me in the Pianist Corner. Perhaps, Chris can link to it again (Chris - the Lydian Exercise?).

Overall, your progress is amazing. You are probably going to learn this as fast as I did. I may have to develop new lessons for you eventually since you don't have a teacher. smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
SC - at some point here, you'll need to shift to Bb Blues so we have a simplified platform to learn new things.

A good sample tune is Blue Monk.

I want to teach you about another aspect of playing which is the basis of jazz. It's called "Call and Response".

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by SwingCabbage

I am going to learn my daughters exame pieces from sheet. I think that these are possibly closer to my standard. There is fingering written there for her so this will be good for me. It also indicates when it is sticato ( not legato)as well so This will help me.

Very sensible. In a way, it doesn't matter what level it is - as long as you play it well.

(Ducks under table in case the legato police are around....

Following on from jazzwee's idea, you could do some fun 'question and answer' games with your daughter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Perhaps, Chris can link to it again (Chris - the Lydian Exercise?).
[Linked Image]

S
S
Thanks Jazzwee. I shouldnt realy have put up that last recording due to it's poor quality. Working on this. I have a midi cable with a USB output so I will try this with Audacity over the weekend. Should be interesting.

I'll locate the lead sheet for Blue Monk and start my 17 LH voicings and learn the melody in RH. I'm sure I know it from one of the albums I have been listning. I'll get back to you when I'm there. Also will need ot learn Bb scale. Give me a bit of time with this.

I still have loads to go on AL so do you invisage that I would do these in paralell. I'm only now getting the hang of chord tones in improv and still have a long ways to go. I hope. I still am mainly working at improv at 80 bpm. I am slowly upping my scales speed. Slowly.

Folks
The Metephors for Musicians book is most excellent in helping get things right at the start with these scales. Fingering explained so simply.

The exclent explinations about the visual patterns is simply simple. Excelent. Right down my alley. Connects with my brain.
Thanks folks for recomending that book.

Thanks again for comments.

Swing Cabáiste

What exactly do you mean by 'swing'.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Perhaps, Chris can link to it again (Chris - the Lydian Exercise?).
[Linked Image]

Thanks Chris!

SC and to all learning in this thread. This here is an extremely important hand strengthening/legato exercise. It is to be done in all keys. Ascending a half step each time on both hands. Repeat each key many times.

10 minutes of this a day should make a big difference. Play absolutely legato. It is horrenduously difficult at first. I tend not to linger on the key of F# because that's a very difficult stretch.

This should be a regular technical practice routine aside from scales. The effect on my legato was tremendous but it took years.

This was invented by my teacher who DOES have the legato of Keith Jarrett.

BTW - just a funny side note...I've been working on Chopin Etude 10/1 lately and all the stretches in this exercise are pretty puny now in comparison smile But it was though way back when.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi everyone, just wanted to share this amazing website I found:

http://www.ralphpatt.com/index.html

He has his own fake book (Vanilla book) which is simpler to follow - not tunes, just chords, you do what you like with them, also analysis of the tonal shifts, and backing tracks for many, many standards.

Good one to bookmark.

How's everyone?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey TLT, I have that link too from way back. I've used it many times before. Good to pass that.

Now though, the iRealBook app on my Iphone has every tune. You should see the jam sessions here. After I showed it once, everyone started bringing their iphones and relying on that instead of the Real Book.

The advantage is that you can transpose the lead sheet smile

I have a little jazz "concert" coming up so I'm practicing like crazy so I don't make a mess of it. No rehearsal...like real jazz.

My Jazz Blog

Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Hi everyone, just wanted to share this amazing website I found:

http://www.ralphpatt.com/index.html

He has his own fake book (Vanilla book) which is simpler to follow - not tunes, just chords, you do what you like with them, also analysis of the tonal shifts, and backing tracks for many, many standards.

Good one to bookmark.

How's everyone?

TLT,

This is a terrific site. Lots of useful stuff. Thanks for the link.

Andy

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Andy - glad you like the site.

Jazzwee - somehow the idea of you all reading your iphones is really funny. Soon we won't need music-stands. Just phone stands.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TLT, it is funny to see a GROUP of musicians with iPhones/Ipads. smile It really is. But when a vocalist changes keys on you, everyone is quick to borrow someone's phone (if they don't have one).

I realize I started this but it is amusing how to they all gravitated to it.

We can't just change key on an acoustic piano and who's going to sit there and transpose with 1 minute of prep? smile

Times have changed. LOL!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I figure I should add this here for posterity. It's been a long time since I started this thread. Now it is fitting that I post a performance of this in public.

This was in G minor. So a different key than what is discussed in this thread. This is the other common key.

Autumn Leaves
http://www.box.net/shared/0xdsygnree

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi jazzwee,

This certainly is a piece of Autumn Leaves thread history! Nice going, lovely solo! Shame your audience is so loud. And well done on the singing too! laugh I'd always imagined you with a deeper voice...

wink

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TLT, LOL! Yep - this is pretty historical for this thread. smile

Actually I didn't mind the loud audience. Nowadays, it's a rare thing to find a large audience such as this listening to jazz. But we did draw them in and although the audience didn't have to pay, they had to make reservations and ended up buying lots of drink and food.

My Jazz Blog

S
S
Thanks for posting this Jazzwee. Will listen again soon.
I'm still practicing but have had a few large interruptions to my flow.
12 Scales are decent ish now. Arps only ok. No recordings but cross fingers will have some as soon as can as I realy really could do with some feedback.
Starting on legato exercise and have blue monk leadsheet printed. Only getting 15 min every second day ish. Getting back on track.

Was good to hear you live. Excellent socks.
Cabbage

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I wondered what happened to you SC. Glad to know you're still on this. You didn't seem to be the type that quits. But with your energy, we'll be listening to your live performances in a few years thumb

BTW - because AL was done in a different key here, it was like playing a new tune. I wasn't used to this key at all and had to concentrate on the changes. But sometimes that change is good because at least my fingers didn't gravitate towards typical patterns.

If AL were practiced in different keys, it would be like practicing so many different tunes. It might seem boring but it would accomplish a lot. I should do it myself.

My Jazz Blog

S
S
http://www.box.net/shared/c57qso71ot

First recording in ages. As usuail warts and all. At least better recording quality than the last.

This is 11 min long. Improv starts @ 1:40, early one of my pixies is talking to me through it.

Remember where I was in lessons was have a lead note into the third then use scales up and down. Also use now added arpegios for the first time.

Thanks folks

Cabbage

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Very solid work there SC. Quite admirable really. The lines are almost ready to turn into full phrases if you start connecting them with your ears.

Looks like it will come automatically too if I just leave you alone to it.

You have a natural ear for this as well. You seem to have taken this out of the realm of randomly hitting chord tones but making a shape to the melody.

Just avoid the extreme long-short phrasing (more noticeable at the beginning). Just even it out a little.

I noticed too as you were trying to start it at the beginning that you were getting yourself centered on the offbeats. Man, you are just so instinctive at this.

Great work. Keep at it! In a few years you'll be doing gigs smile

My Jazz Blog

S
S
When I listened my three things were
* connecting across the chords
* off beat emphasis
* still lost in the four chords over two bars.

I will focus on this. Practice Speed now at 85. I will move up to 90.

Many thanks for encouraging remarks.

Swing Cabáiste

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
SC, and don't forget about the Blues. We need to get you started on some other aspects because you are progressing very rapidly. When you get started on that, we'll discuss some issues that apply to general soloing.

Also practice rootless LH voicings.

My Jazz Blog

Page 178 of 187 1 2 176 177 178 179 180 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission