2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Here (Italy) kids call their teacher "prof" which makes me laugh but it is as somone above cited, a title of deference. Here we also have the formal "Lei" (like "vous" in French) and the informal "tu".

With my adult students I insist they use the "tu" with me - but for kids (even university students) I prefer they use the "lei" format - and they seem to prefer it too. They use it spontaneously and I don't correct them.

If I had kids telling me "you didn't tell me that" - I would review all the homework instructions with them and then get them to put their initials beside each point (in ink!) . I wouldn't do very well with kids being rude (adults either for that matter, but that's pretty rare).

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
S
All my students call me "Teacher Small" instead of "Small" or "Mrs Piano"
I agreed that if parents show respect to teacher, then the students will follow.
Yes, I had one student like what you describe and he is already gone, no longer my student. I lost my temper when he do that and the mom walk out with the son together. The mom do not think that his son lied, or being very arguing with me. She thinks that I am ridiculus.
Anyway, I like the idea of initial at the side of the homework to make sure that the student knows his homework.

B
B
Originally Posted by griffin2417
Originally Posted by bmbutler
While I don't have any advice, I will be interested in the feedback you get. I have a student (girl) who does the exact same things and she is just 8 years old. Two weeks ago, I was telling her she had completed her Faber 2A books and was filling out the certificate. I said to her "isn't that great! Now you can move on to book 2B!" She looked me right in the face and replied, "and I should care, because?" I wanted to fire her out the door right then. And folks, this is with either her Father or Grandmother sitting in my living room well within ear shot.

Are the Father and Grandfather like that as well?

The Father will interfere a little by telling her to pay attention if she starts whining or not listening to me, but he has never been rude to me (or Mom for that matter.) One thing I keep in mind is that her brother has epilepsy and they are trying hard to bring his seizures under control. I teach him also and the only issue I have with him when he starts to ask me a question while I am talking regarding a completely different subject. Sis could just be acting out from the extra attention he gets. My Mother would have drop kicked me into next week (and no, she wasn't abusive) if I talked to an adult the way this child talks to me. They are both homeschooled and that also makes me wonder about things. Possible they just don't know how to act in a situation with other people.

I have only met the Grandfather once. He helps them with their lessons. My only issue is that he was teaching the Grandson to improvise on his songs before he had even learned them. I am all for improvisation and think it is a WONDERFUL skill to have, but let him learn the song as printed first. I mentioned that once in the lesson that we needed to learn it from the printed page first (there are also rhythm issues with this child) and then it is great after that to improvise. Grandpa was there at the next lesson. At first, I thought "oh, no" I am going to hear about it now. But he was very quiet and just sat in my living room listening.

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
B
B
Originally Posted by Diane...
She looked me right in the face and replied,
. . . "and I should care, because?"

Have to admit, I laughed at that! I can't believe a student could say such a thing to a teacher! Wow! that's very bold of her! Funny, but not funny!

Well, I agree with others that you have to nail a situation at the moment it happens! I could tell stories! But normally, after a student has given me a remark that shows their lack of care, I will simply ask them a question, like "Why did you say that to me? I'm here to help you, & you aren't doing yourself any favours by acting like that to me, when all I'm doing is for your own good & I'm on your side to help you anyway I can! Now, TELL ME, why did you say/do that to me?" Then I wait for them to explain! This is always entertaining!

Then I wait & listen to what they might say! I just continue to ask why they are acting like that, till they try explaining their bad behaviour, until they see what I'm see!

Again, each student is different, so you are going to get different answers, but if they come back with another bad behaviour statement, I ask them again, why do you have to say that to me? Then eventually, they see that I'm on their side and I can't BELIEVE they are acting like that! So they know I won't just let a nasty comment/behaviour slide!

But I'm not perfect, & when one boy threw a book at me, I phoned his mom & I never had him return again! I could have handled that situation better, but this particular situation, I say it was just a "personality conflict"!

I was stunned too, Diane. It was probably why I didn't address her immediately because I just couldn't believe how rude she was. Thanks for the feedback. I would have fired the boy who threw the book too!

Piano Teacher since 1992
C
CarolR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
While I don't have any advice, I will be interested in the feedback you get. I have a student (girl) who does the exact same things and she is just 8 years old. Two weeks ago, I was telling her she had completed her Faber 2A books and was filling out the certificate. I said to her "isn't that great! Now you can move on to book 2B!" She looked me right in the face and replied, "and I should care, because?" I wanted to fire her out the door right then. And folks, this is with either her Father or Grandmother sitting in my living room well within ear shot.

OMG! Seriously? I think I might say to her "OK, I'm going to start over. Isn't that great? And now you can move on to book 2B" and give her a chance to think again about her response. What a little snit!

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

C
CarolR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My students call me by my first name, but I don't think that matters one bit. Most of my students are respectful because I am an adult and I am their teacher. I think those who are not would be that way no matter what they called me.

So the thing about arguing - I welcome differences of opinion, or conversations about what their challenges are. LOTS of kids disagree with me about fingerings, and if they can give me a good reason, they can often do what they want. But what really irks me is (in the case of this particular boy) this constant "I DID play that", or "I CAN'T do that". For instance, he says, flat out, that he can't pedal. Nope, not possible. So we work, and work, and work. He gets it - then he goes home and doesn't practice because he doesn't like to do it, and doesn't think he does it. And quite honestly, can't really tell the difference anyway. Just like he can't tell the difference if he's playing with a steady beat or not. And, he doesn't seem to get that there is a reason he has a teacher, to help him become better. I have reminded him in the past that I am, in fact, his teacher, and that if wants to learn to play the piano, I would suggest he listens to me. It's so tiresome sometimes.
But, I do need the money, and not all students are perfect, so I probably will not drop him. I will continue to try to steer him toward being a more cooperative student, though.

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by CarolR

OMG! Seriously? I think I might say to her "OK, I'm going to start over. Isn't that great? And now you can move on to book 2B" and give her a chance to think again about her response. What a little snit!

I wonder if the people who find the student's reaction outrageous are really shocked by the rudeness, or by the unexpected challenge to the teacher's values?

I mean "Why should I care?" is not an entirely unreasonable point of view to be held by somebody who does not live, eat, and breath music. Those of us who live under our pianos probably thing that a demonstration of musical progress is so obviously a good thing that it doesn't even need to be defended. But to a child who possibly has a hundred and one more interesting things to be doing than practising Fairy Footsteps or whatever, it's a question that does merit a considered answer.

I'd bet that if the student had said "Might I venture to suggest, Ma'm, that this achievement is of no great relevance to myself, with all due respect" it would have been no less shocking.

Just my £.02, as always.

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
But what really irks me is (in the case of this particular boy) this constant "I DID play that", or "I CAN'T do that".

Yes, absolutely. I wonder sometimes if students who behave this way really, truly believe what they are saying. Some students defend the indefensible with such gusto that it's hard to believe that they have any idea they're wrong.

There's never seemed to me to be much point in getting drawn into an argument over this sort of thing. As my grandma used to say: don't wrestle a pig -- you get dirty and the pig likes it. I think sometimes that an argument is what the student actually wants here.

Of course, sometimes it's so expasperating that it would take saintly patience not to get drawn into an argument to some extent.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, here's a story: After I missed a week of lessons because of the MTNA conference, my 5th grade student, Jonathan, was sitting at the piano, ready for his lesson. I looked at his assignment notebook and said 'So, how's the minuet?" He said "What? You didn't assign me the minuet." I said, uh, right here in your book, I have written "Work on Minuet in B minor, Hands alone, then slowly hands together,etc,, etc". .........

When do you think enough is enough?

Carol, I have two rules and only two rules in my Studio:

Rule #1 The Teacher is Always Right

Rule #2 When you think the teacher is wrong, refer to rule #1

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Carol, I have two rules and only two rules in my Studio:

Rule #1 The Teacher is Always Right

Rule #2 When you think the teacher is wrong, refer to rule #1
LOL!

It reminds me of the one single rule I have, related to democracy (Greece the birthplace of Democracy, blah blah): "While in lesson we have democracy! whenever we agree we will be doing what you (the student) want. whenever we disagree we will do it my way (the teachers)". laugh

They always laugh, but actually this is working pretty good. I have a long leash, yet it's always there! wink

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
And that reminds me of my favorite line: "I'm sorry. You apparently thought I was giving you a choice."

piano teacher

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lollipop
And that reminds me of my favorite line: "I'm sorry. You apparently thought I was giving you a choice."

Love it! LOL. Sometimes, you just have to go there.

Carl

B
B
Originally Posted by kevinb

I wonder if the people who find the student's reaction outrageous are really shocked by the rudeness, or by the unexpected challenge to the teacher's values?

I mean "Why should I care?" is not an entirely unreasonable point of view to be held by somebody who does not live, eat, and breath music. Those of us who live under our pianos probably thing that a demonstration of musical progress is so obviously a good thing that it doesn't even need to be defended. But to a child who possibly has a hundred and one more interesting things to be doing than practising Fairy Footsteps or whatever, it's a question that does merit a considered answer.

I'd bet that if the student had said "Might I venture to suggest, Ma'm, that this achievement is of no great relevance to myself, with all due respect" it would have been no less shocking.

Just my £.02, as always.

Sorry, Kevin. Rude is rude. It doesn't matter to me if a child doesn't "live, eat, and breath music." That is not the issue. A child being rude and disrespectful to an adult is!

Piano Teacher since 1992
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

Sorry, Kevin. Rude is rude. It doesn't matter to me if a child doesn't "live, eat, and breath music." That is not the issue. A child being rude and disrespectful to an adult is!

Fair enough -- I'm not suggesting that a teacher ought to be obliged to put up with rude students. But I am curious about where people think the actual rudeness is: the mode of expression, or the rejection of teacher's enthusiasm for progress?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland
I have begun to think that the reason some children are inclined towards this level of disrespect could be related to the fact that most of them address me as "Ben".

YES! And you need to train your parents to address you as Mr. Crosland as well. FWIW, I address 100% of my students' parents as Mr. & Mrs., or Dr., or whatever the appropriate title is.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
B
B
I have begun to think that the reason some children are inclined towards this level of disrespect could be related to the fact that most of them address me as "Ben".

YES! And you need to train your parents to address you as Mr. Crosland as well. FWIW, I address 100% of my students' parents as Mr. & Mrs., or Dr., or whatever the appropriate title is.

But John, you know that is too old fashioned and hopelessly out of date. We are supposed to nuture these little one's self esteem! crazy

Piano Teacher since 1992
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I assume that teachers do not want to be considered infallible, that they do want to hear from their students if something feels wrong, they do want their students to think for themselves and use their senses - but they don't want a certain attitude. "The teacher is always right." is a handy rule for the kind of situation being described. Beyond that it can't be a good idea. (?)

I saw a humourous saying on a teacher's desk a few years ago. "If you have tried everything, and nothing has worked so far, try doing what your teacher said."

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Attitude is everything.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

But John, you know that is too old fashioned and hopelessly out of date. We are supposed to nuture these little one's self esteem! crazy

My students have plenty of self-esteem, and it all comes from honest achievement! (PS I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek!)

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by keystring
I assume that teachers do not want to be considered infallible, that they do want to hear from their students if something feels wrong, they do want their students to think for themselves and use their senses - but they don't want a certain attitude. "The teacher is always right." is a handy rule for the kind of situation being described. Beyond that it can't be a good idea. (?)

I agree. When I was teaching, my default position was always to assume I was right, unless there was firm evidence to the contrary. Sometimes there was firm evidence to the contrary.

It's healthy, in my view, for students and teachers to be able to agree to differ. That doesn't mean that everybody's position is equally valid, but it does mean recognizing a point beyond which any further discussion is a waste of time.

If your student plays an E when he should be playing a D, and swears blind that it was a D, it's not important to beat the student (metaphorically speaking) into accepting that he or she was wrong and teacher was right. What's important is that, by some means, the student ends up playing a D and not an E. If that can be achieved without the student necessarily sucking up a 'teacher is always right' mentality, I don't see a problem.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission