2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 140 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 139 140
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
you need to use a racket every time cus.

DF

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Dave
You are too funny laugh laugh

Hi Ten
Thanks ! You are so right. It's the perfect opportunity to practise stuff I don't normally do.

I tried LH Hanons Lesson 20 today. They were far too hard so I went back to Lesson 1 Hanons. Tomorrow I will do Lesson 2 Hanons.

For voicings, I practised the LH of my own arrangement for When I Fall in Love.

I'm going to study Dave's Walking Bass Line clinic again tomorrow and give it a try.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
no racket for the walking basslines now cus..you could practice basslines for say, 15-30 min:)

DF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey 10,

>> I do have some Art T. But as always listening alone doesn't really help. It all comes too fast.
It does come fast. I was thinking about it as I'm watching the new Dave Frank masterclass with Dick Hyman. Dave talked about the Swiss watch metaphor. What you're seeing is what you're supposed to be seeing, and that's a beautiful final product. In order to understand it deeper, you'd have to turn it around, and probably open it up.

But what if you just listened to Tatum, and then picked a 2 second passage, and try to dissect that. Just 2 seconds. Working on 2 seconds of Tatum, and I don't mean from a technical standpoint, would probably keep you busy for a week and you'd only scratch the surface.

However, that's a great way to steal ideas. Just take something tiny and try to get why it works. Could be a chord movement, or a device, a simple pattern. But I think the key is keeping it small. Noone can understand all of Tatum in a few simple listening. The guy was a genius and spent his entire life perfecting the art.
Each time to start grasping 2 seconds of music, you hear the rest a little bit more clearly.

Later, I'll try and post 2 or 3 seconds of Tatum playing tenderly. And maybe we can make some sense out of it.

I only listened to 1/2 the masterclass this morning. I had to debate between practice and listening, so I did 1/2 and 1/2, but Dick said something along the line of having an ear for being able to pick up from recordings, and that not everyone had it, but he did.
I remember Bill Evans saying something similar, that some people just had a facility for hearing things, but that he did not. And that to a certain extent, it forced him to work really hard at developing his style. Obviously he succeeded.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by knotty

Later, I'll try and post 2 or 3 seconds of Tatum playing tenderly. And maybe we can make some sense out of it.

Go on then. Too difficult alone, but I'll do it here. Besides it'll keep cus out of mischief.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
alright then, let's take a look at this.

technically, I think this is totally doable. However, I would never come up with that stuff. But how great it works. Let's see if we can make sense of it:

http://www.box.net/shared/89enj391tc

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
and before you get me, I know, it's longer than 2 or 3 secs, it's more like 8, but you can just take the 1st or 2nd half if you want. I wanted to give a tiny bit of context.
The tune is tenderly, and he's playing it in D.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
Thanks for selecting such a beautiful extract from Tenderly.
I've chosen the RH melodic lines and tried to make some sense of it. I'm not a very good transcriber especially when it comes to:
1. interpreting rhythm or rubato
2. working out the notes in a chord.

http://www.box.net/shared/yxu2qb9sct

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Cus, that looks really good to me. This stuff is really hard to write on paper, i dont' do it, mostly because I can't.
Here's how I'd go about it.

On the first section, I hear these few points:
- The melody is played very clearly, and correctly. Just with a few secs of the clip, you know it's tenderly.
- He comes in on the first note with what sounds like a 2 hand - 3 notes slur to land on the D, and let it ring nice. That re-inforces the melody.
- After the note is played, he lands the chord, which seems more or less like a plain Gb-7
- He does a little bit of movement to create interest, something fairly simple, going down the scale.
- He surprises us by not landing on the b7 like we'd expect but going back up to the major 7, which creates major tension
- He does not resolve that major 7, but moves on

This extract is from a Capitol Records recording, in case you are interested. The whole thing is pure genius.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

- The melody is played very clearly, and correctly. Just with a few secs of the clip, you know it's tenderly.

Thanks Knotty !
I wouldn't have known where to start a year ago.

Which vocalist or other version should I listen to in order to learn Tenderly ?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oscar Peterson does a mean version of tenderly, and I think Ella sang it too.
But I'm not a vocalist expert...

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Oscar Peterson does a mean version of tenderly, and I think Ella sang it too.
But I'm not a vocalist expert...

Here's Sarah Vaughan singing the $#@! out of it: CLICK HERE

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
This is the version I grew up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-Nfv4oobg

Just so you know, I can do more than just hard rock...

Edit: I just downloaded the clip and put it into transcribe. May get a chance to look at it tomorrow. At first listening I have no idea of beats or bars, and can't see where the tune fits, but will try to get some notes down anyway. I'll do this before looking at custard's score.

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 05/04/11 06:43 PM.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks everyone for helping me learn the melody to Tenderly.

Knotty
I've just listened to Oscar Peterson and then Ella, they were awesome.

Leagle Beagle
Sarah Vaughan, that sonorous voice, it was great.

Ten
haHA, it wasn't much help to me as you could guess, but how hilarious was that !

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Cus, that looks really good to me. This stuff is really hard to write on paper, i dont' do it, mostly because I can't.
Here's how I'd go about it.

On the first section, I hear these few points:
- He comes in on the first note with what sounds like a 2 hand - 3 notes slur to land on the D, and let it ring nice. That re-inforces the melody.
- After the note is played, he lands the chord, which seems more or less like a plain Gb-7
- He does a little bit of movement to create interest, something fairly simple, going down the scale.
- He surprises us by not landing on the b7 like we'd expect but going back up to the major 7, which creates major tension
- He does not resolve that major 7, but moves on

This extract is from a Capitol Records recording, in case you are interested. The whole thing is pure genius.

Hey Knots
Your ear is very discerning. Thanks for articulating your insights so clearly.
It's amazing how the great Art could use such a simple device as a descending unaltered major scale so effectively, and in just the right place.
Yes, Art highlighting that maj 7 certainly created a very interesting sound. As Dave said in the Frank Zappa masterclass, ending a phrase on the 7 could create a poignant, spiritual sound. The unresolved quality was really cool.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I think I forgot to mention that it was a very challenging but encouraging exercise for me.
I had stopped transcribing at the beginning of this year as the Charlie Christian ones were taking me too much time, since I wasn't very good at it.
But I feel I have improved a lot.

And I learnt so much from just a few seconds of Art.

I loved the section in the masterclass with Dick Hyman where he says "With Art, take what you can. Marvel at the rest of it".

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Some recordings. This is lesson 6:

http://www.box.net/shared/dz1rejqon9
http://www.box.net/shared/lukb73tsc9

melody line from Tenderly excerpt:
http://www.box.net/shared/f2b0j9f2kl

For tenderly I've not yet looked at what other people came up with, I want to try it a little myself first.

Anyway, all comments welcome! smile

For transcribing - I've found actually *writing it ou*t is a really laborious process. A lot is working out rhythms, and sometimes I just can't be bothered. What I have learned from JOI is that (this is my opinion) 90% of the learning comes from listening and imitating. This in itself is time-consuming. But the writing is even more time consuming, and I'm not convinced that the extra learning gained from writing it out is worthwhile. Possibly the time would be better spent on another tune, or on hanons. Just my ha'penny worth.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tlt,

lesson 6 is perfecto!

>> For transcribing - I've found actually *writing it ou*t is a really laborious process. A lot is working out rhythms, and sometimes I just can't be bothered. What I have learned from JOI is that (this is my opinion) 90% of the learning comes from listening and imitating. This in itself is time-consuming. But the writing is even more time consuming, and I'm not convinced that the extra learning gained from writing it out is worthwhile. Possibly the time would be better spent on another tune, or on hanons. Just my ha'penny worth.

I agree.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I had stopped transcribing at the beginning of this year as the Charlie Christian ones were taking me too much time, since I wasn't very good at it.

I also enjoyed Charlie Christian less than the others. But when you jump to Charlie Parker, I think you'll enjoy those a lot. Start with Now's the time or Moose the mooche maybe. Those are really good.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Singing Bird is one of my favorite parts of the day. I really liked Moose the Mooche, and have almost finished learning Perhaps. I think I loved Perhaps even more than Moose.
On the weekend I look forward to moving onto Now's The Time, thanks for the suggestion.

Page 35 of 140 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission