Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1394522 - 03/12/10 05:05 PM I tried the Korg sp170
m_e_l_l_o Offline

Today I have gone to a shop near my house in a small city in Italy and I found a Korg sp170 still closed inside his box.
I asked if it was possible to try it and they opened for me.

I want to said that I tried the sp250 the lp350 and some other DP suchas casio px130, 330, kawai es6, yamaha p155 and others.
Between these, my favorites are the kawai and the yamaha (this is just a personal introduction to help you to understand my feelings with this new piano).

I didn't love this piano. It is not better than sp250, the sensation is that you don't have a real or simulated hammer, the keyboard it is really heavier without giving you a specific sensation. Personally I prefear it to the yamaha p85, but for me the casio px130 is, for sure, better.

Speaking about the sound I think it is ok for studying, the speakers are enough for home use. Unfortunally I was able to try only one piano sound because I didn't know how to change the sound (I saw you have to press a combination of keys).

So, my final idea is: it is a good piano for study and for beginners. It could be a serious competitor to casios in the low-end-price segment, but the keyboard it is not good like the casio. It is not comparable to the sp250 and lp350. The keyboard in these cases is definetely better.

(sorry for my english)

Please, give me your feedback,

Marcello
Schubert Impromptu op90 N2
Bach, Golber variation: Aria + first variation
Bach, WTC prelude 1 and 2
Beethoven Sonata 5

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1394543 - 03/12/10 05:37 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: m_e_l_l_o]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks for posting, I'm looking forward to trying one for myself but Korgs aren't easy to find round here.

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1394949 - 03/13/10 11:46 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: BazC]
gerardo1000 Offline

I have not played the new Korg 170, but I did play the Korg SP-250 and I was very disappointed by the two piano sounds. They really looked artificial to my ears, compared to the Yamaha P-85 and the Casio Privias.
In my very personal opinion, today the best dp under $1000 is the
new Casio privia PX-830. Yes it costs a bit more than the other Privias, the Yamaha P-85 and the Korg SP-250 and 170, but it has great action, powerful speakers, and a very good and realistic piano sound.

#1394954 - 03/13/10 12:00 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: gerardo1000]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I would love to have DPBSD MP3s of the SP-250 and P-85 - could anyone perhaps furnish them?

#1395148 - 03/13/10 05:49 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: gerardo1000]
m_e_l_l_o Offline

Hi Gerardo1000,
I had the same impression with the sounds of the SP-250. I really didn't like them. My impression is that in this new piano the sounds are better than in the250.
I'm agree with you that the casio, under 1000 euro, have the best piano sound and action. I want to ask you why you said that the px830 is the best. Doesn't it share the same sounds and action with px130 and px 330?

Marcello
Schubert Impromptu op90 N2
Bach, Golber variation: Aria + first variation
Bach, WTC prelude 1 and 2
Beethoven Sonata 5

#1395416 - 03/14/10 08:37 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: m_e_l_l_o]
gerardo1000 Offline

The speakers on the 830 are 20 + 20 watt and I believe that this is what makes the difference.

#1398438 - 03/18/10 09:23 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: m_e_l_l_o]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL
I just bought the Korg SP170, have had it for about a week, and I'm quite pleased with it. I tried the SP250, and the P85, and I liked the SP250 slightly better, but ended up buying the SP170 sight unseen.

The SP170 is what it is: a very basic, but very good digital piano for $499 USD. Ten voices: Hold down the top three keys, hit one of the ten keys below for a different voice. Only two effects, chorus and reverb, no adjusting. I don't like chorus, and the reverb is so faint as to be unnoticeable. There is no splitting voices. Two 1/8" headphone jacks double as line out, no 1/4" line. It supports half damper but the included pedal is a cheapie footswitch. Pitch setting is only half tone intervals for transposing. I haven't messed with the midi, and probably never will. Very basic, if you're looking for all the bells and whistles, look somewhere else.

So what's to like? Other than the sound and the keyboard, not a darn thing ;-) ...oh, and the price.

I just like the Korg sound, strictly a personal preference. I like the keyboard feel and action, a little heavy, much like the SP250 but without the hammer thunk. I like the heavier action because I play finger style steel string acoustic guitar, I'm used to putting a little muscle into things, and the feedback from the keys is good.

I like the default, mellow piano sound, the two electric pianos, and the harpsichord. The harpsichord isn't "authentic", it's touch sensitive and electric sounding, but great. The pipe organ sounds very authentic, but I don't like pipe organs. The jazz organ doesn't do much for me, the clavier is OK, I don't like string sounds on any DP. The vibes are very nice as well.

I play mostly the default piano, the electrics for some blues, and the harpsichord for some simple Bach numbers.

The speakers and amp aren't very powerful, but they produce a very good sound at low volume, full dynamic range without wimping out when played softly, very good for practicing without having to resort to headphones. It sounds very good played through a small guitar tube amp with some gain, the tube amp seems to round off the corners of the digital sounds, but requires a volume level that is not neighbor friendly...

If you want a DP that captures every nuance and artifact of a grand piano's sound and feel, this isn't it. If you want all the advanced technical features you can get, this ain't it. If you want a really nice, basic digital piano for home use it's worth checking out.

#1399007 - 03/18/10 11:15 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: tinknocker]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Have had my SP 170 for almost 30 days now, and agree with most of what Tinknocker says. I went back over to GC last weekend to try the PX 130 again before my "return" window closed. Here are reasons I'll keep the Korg.

I like the default, "warm, elegant" piano voice better than any of the 3 pianos on the Casio. I had gotten used to the piano voices on the Yamaha NP30/P85, and knew I liked them better than the Casio. My visit to GC to play the PX130 confirmed past "tests", and now I like the Korg piano as well as the brighter Yamaha sounds on my NP30.

There is more difference in the 10-voice pairs on the Korg than in the Yamaha set. Example, 2 harpsicords on the Yamaha, but a Harpsicord and Clavicord on the Korg. More difference in the EP's and organs, also. I will probably go to 4 or 5 voices on the Korg, but liked only three in the Yamaha set. All of the Korg voices seem fuller, rounder than those on the Yamahas. (all these personal observations made using the same set of headphones).

The speakers sound better than those on any of the other 26 pound DP's I have considered. Korg claims a "bass Reflex" enclosure, and I think this really helps. I will still connect the Korg to a 2.1 Cambridge sound system or use headphones at home, but if I carry it out for a small room/program, I won't feel the need to cart the sound system along. Also, I think Yamaha boosts the bass to compensate for the small speakers on the NP30/P85. This does not seem to be the case on the SP 170, as I don't have to cut the bass in my sound system as I did with the Yamaha.

I like the Headphones/Line Out jacks on the back of the Korg, but why could they not have made them 1/4 TRS instead of 1/8th? "Split" and "Layer" would have been nice, but I realize it will be a decade before I have any use for those features.

I have a hard time feeling any difference between the keybeds of the Korg, Yamaha P85, and PX 130. The adjustment to our acoustic console, and my teacher's Baldwin grand is not a problem. The black keys on the Korg are matte--makes the Casio look cheaper by comparison.

So the bottom line--If you want the bells and whistles, the Casio wins hands down, but if a few good sounding instruments and speakers than are noticeably better are enough for you, consider the SP 170.

Happy shopping!!

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

#1419334 - 04/18/10 07:45 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Bob M]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Bob M or tinknocker, could I officially beg either one of you for a DPBSD MP3 of the Korg SP170?

I've always got my eye on things to recommend for beginning students and the Korg seems very interesting.

#1419373 - 04/18/10 10:22 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: dewster]
Bogs Offline

I'm interested in that too...I have to take the tough decision between the Korg SP 170 and Casio 130. So please upload it somewhere public. Thanks!

#1419596 - 04/18/10 06:18 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Bogs]
Bob M Offline

Alas, Gentlemen, Uploading MP3 is something that I am not yet ready to learn, perhaps tinknocker will come thru for you. Sorry.

#1419601 - 04/18/10 06:32 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Bogs]
gerardo1000 Offline

I Played both the sp170 and the Casio 130. If you are planning to use the built-in speakers, my suggestion is to go with the Korg.

#1419624 - 04/18/10 07:47 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: gerardo1000]
Thelonius One Offline

Loc: Michigan
Here's a YouTube demo video for the Korg SP-170 by store salesman(?) in Germany. He has done a ton of videos for different keyboards, though mostly in German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcCHsq8wWo

#1419658 - 04/18/10 09:14 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Thelonius One]
Bob M Offline

Hey, this video does a good job of representing the "voices" on the SP 170 as I hear them on mine, but notice that he has plugs in the headphone jacks, so we are not hearing the built-in speakers. I guess that is too much to ask for in a sales demo. I still maintain that the built-ins are much better than most. A thought from another forum--a working pro musician with a CP33, wrote that he really enjoyed playing on a CP300 (with built in speakers) because of the vibration/feedback to his hands, absent when using a separate sound system as with the CP33. So now my dilemma--my SP 170 sounds a bit better thru the 2.1 system with sub (and like the video), but feels better, more like an acoustic instrument thru its own speaker's. I'll just have to suffer thru it.
Seriously, if you are shopping, go and try them thru headphones, or order the Korg on a 30-day return policy like I got from Sweetwater, and then compare with the ones you can play in music stores. Buy what feels and sounds best to you, and get to work playing (which is what I need to get back to at this moment).
Another observation from my own fiddling. There is MUCH LESS difference between these entry-level DP's we are agonizing about, than between the many acoustic pianos I have tried in recent months--our 50 YO console at home, my teacher's Baldwin grand, a Baldwin-Hamilton at church, three grands at Mom's retirement community, and today, a beautiful Walter (Kawai) grand at the Stowe Botanical Garden (and many more).
Back to " themes and variations."

#1420627 - 04/20/10 01:47 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Bob M]
tinknocker Offline

Loc: Key Largo, FL
Quote:
Alas, Gentlemen, Uploading MP3 is something that I am not yet ready to learn, perhaps tinknocker will come thru for you. Sorry.

If I understand the dpbsd_readme.txt, I need to play the midi file through the midi input of the DP and capture the output from the line out.

The SP-170 does not have a midi IN connection, only midi OUT.

So...

#1420681 - 04/20/10 03:44 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: tinknocker]
Yuri Pavlov Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
Oh yes.... not midi in - it is not cool.......and very very sadly
English (with some problems)

#1424434 - 04/26/10 11:07 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Looks like they stuck the volume knob right where the MIDI in should have gone - pretty serious corner cutting / cost control.

Well, that's one way to effectively thwart the DPBSD!

#1480203 - 07/23/10 10:28 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: dewster]
Johno Kiwi Offline

Sorry new to the whole digital piano thing, but what is the point of having Midi In. Is it to add new samples? Midi out to output to your own speaks and record is that right? Midi in is for?

Thanks.

#1480362 - 07/24/10 05:08 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: Johno Kiwi]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

First off, all midi does is send information about which key (or button or pedal) you pressed for how long and how hard/fast. It's not used for anything else, there's no sound in a midi signal and it can't be used to update drivers or samples or anything like that.

Midi out is used to control another sound source so you could play one keyboard which would control the sounds of another keyboard or sound module or software instrument on a computer. You can record the midi signal but you're not recording sound just instructions on how to play the same thing again.

Midi in is used to play sound on a keyboard by playing a midi file (midi recording) from a computer or to play from another keyboard controller. So I could plug my Korg sp200 into a Roland FP7 and use my Korg as the controller while the Roland was producing the sound.

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1480397 - 07/24/10 08:25 AM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: BazC]
roel Offline

Loc: netherlands
My home base piano is a Casio PX120, with 2.0 monitor speakers built onto the wooden stand (well done by myself, thank you). But honestly, this setup looks good and sounds great; beats a lot of the more expensive home pianos.
I bought a SP170 yesterday, for gigs and other outdoor use.
1. The sound of the sp170 doesn't come near this privia setup. In fact the sound of the sp170 is a bit disappointing: the grand piano (the only sound i use) is very bright and shallow, it has no depth in the sound. It's not the internal speakers but the sample - with headset it's the same. Setting the touch to 'heavy' takes away the spinet-like bright sound a bit, but it still can't beat the privia px120 with internal speakers. My sp170 is meant for gigs though, so internal sound is not that much of an issue.
2. The three key controls are no problem, in fact they are an advantage: there are no vulnerable knobs and buttons on the outside, so less risk for damage during transport.
3. The touch: there is no real hammer feeling to it. But i must say: it plays nicely.

mellow jazz, on casio privia px120, home yamaha arius ydp140

#1480806 - 07/24/10 08:53 PM Re: I tried the Korg sp170 [Re: BazC]
Johno Kiwi Offline

Ah okay, so main point of having midi in is to add some background track from your computer to your playing.

Thank you for clearing that up, doesn't seem like something I need to worry about in my purchase as a beginner then.

#1671605 - 05/04/11 06:14 PM Korg SP-170 [Re: m_e_l_l_o]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hello everybody.

I am a beginner in this forum, although I have been reading its threads a long time ago. It’s a fantastic forum. Congratulations.

I bought a SP-170 two months ago. I like this piano. It looks nice, and the sounds are good, although much better with headphones than through speakers.

However, since some days ago, I’ve got a problem with the keyboard. In this model, the keys don’t directly activate the sensors. Actually, the keys press a mechanism, which really activate the sensors. The keys and their mechanisms are attached with some kind of glue, under the surface of the keys.

In my piano, some keys have got unstuck from their mechanisms. So, while I’m playing, these keys make a strange sound. I don’t know how describe it. These keys sound and feel so unpleasant. I’m very disappointed. The piano would be fine without this trouble.

I’d like to know if other users have this problem.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my English. I'm from Spain.

#1671948 - 05/05/11 10:44 AM Re: Korg SP-170 [Re: m_e_l_l_o]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have just found a video on youtube, where I can hear this sound produced when I’m pressing those keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQDocovU3I

Although I cannot know if that piano has the same problem. Any suggestion?

My website

#1671956 - 05/05/11 11:04 AM Re: Korg SP-170 [Re: Recaredo]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like you should return it under warranty.

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1671965 - 05/05/11 11:33 AM Re: Korg SP-170 [Re: BazC]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your answer,BazC.

I think you’re right. I’ll have to send the piano under warranty. This one is not the first SP-170 that I have with my purchasing. The first piano had a noticeable “clunk noise” with the black keys. I had to wait one month, but the piano was finally replaced. Now, there is other problem in the white keys.

I’m absolutely beginner. I only can play some minuets by Bach and other easy scores. My playing is necessary very soft. On the other hand, I like this piano very much. So I’ll have to be patient.

Cheers.

My website

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, Almaviva, acortot, 41 invisible), 1505 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission