2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Most of this has been gleaned from reading others' opinions, not from personal experience with these newer DPs. Please chime in with your thoughts, corrections, brickbats. I'd love to know your preference for a gigging DP (under 50lbs, and preferably under 40lbs). For the record, having retired my GEM PRP800 from active duty, I am using an FP-4 as a "stopgap" piano until something obviously better comes along; I find the FP-4 adequate but uninspiring - but I love the weight, and appreciate the inclusion of built-in monitor speakers.

Roland FP-4F
Pros:
SN main piano
New "G" action with escapement
Easy to operate
Improved speaker system
Cons:
Lackluster EPs (old series)
No FX menu
Layout can be confusing in dark (all buttons look identical)

Roland RD-300NX
Pros:
SN main piano
SN EPs
New "G" action with escapement
Large tone bank
Cons:
Too long!

Nord NP88
Pros:
Extensive piano library
Natural acoustic sound
Simple to operate
Great EPs
Comes with triple pedal unit
Cons:
Price (at full retail)
MIDI implementation a little funky
Needs careful EQing???
Action may be less reliable than others

Casio Privia PX-3
Pros:
Good midi controller
Lightest of all hammer action boards
Improved EPs (over PX-330)
Inexpensive
Cons:
Piano sound has short decay
Thin timbre???
A little flimsy???

Yamaha CP50
Pros:
Well implemented AP and EP sounds
Graded action
Cons:
Interface
Sterile???
A little heavy

Kawai MP6
Pros:
New action
Good MIDI controller
Upgraded AP and EP sounds
Cons:
A little heavy
Sounds not quite up to Roland's SN???

Korg SV-1
Pros:
Vintage vibe
Excellent EPs
Simple interface
Cons:
Lackluster APs (possibly better in Soundpack 2)
Action not as good as others

Numa Piano
Pros:
Simple interface
Cons:
Reliability???

Kurzweil SP4-8
Pros:
Simple interface
High quality sounds
Good MIDI capability
Downloadable PC3 library of sounds
Cons:
Less sophisticated (older) piano implementation

From anotherscott's post (see below)
P95
+ under 30 lbs, built-in speakers, inexpensive (and, IMO, best feel and sound in its price range)
- EP velocity scaling is unnatural. Needs uncommon cable to split the 1/4" stereo out to a pair of 1/4" left/right outputs.

MOX8
+ large tone bank, good MIDI controller

Last edited by voxpops; 05/06/11 04:47 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Vox, I would add action to the cons of the NP88. Of the boards above, it's tied with the Korg SV-1 for worst action. I've been having some issues with my action that will hopefully get resolved soon. Other than that, the NP88 is the best DP I've ever owned hands down. If for some reason Nord didn't or couldn't resolve my NP88 action issue, I could possibly check out the MP6 or CP50, though I find the CP50 action a little heavy/dead having just gone back and played on it last week. The real surprise in the list above is the PX-3. Great action and decent feature set for the lowest price in the list above. Plus it can used well as a midi controller. I haven't played the Numa Piano, but I did hear a clip of Joey D playing it (yes I know he's mostly an organ player) and I didn't like the sound in the video, but YouTube videos certainly aren't the best judges of DP sound quality all the time.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Voxpops,
I know you're not a big fan of the piano sample, but the Casio probably is the best bang for the buck in a lightweight 88 note board. With the combination of the four zone layering and combining of sounds plus it's use as a midi controller, it seems to offer a lot of flexibility. I'm not completely sold on the durability of the newer actions on the Privias. They seem to have taken a step backward but you have owned both a 330 and 130 so you can speak to that better than I can.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 05/06/11 12:11 PM.
K
K
Looks like a solid compilation of what I've been reading on these forums to.
I really liked the 300nx. It's only 5 inches or so longer than other dps. But it's light, sounds good, and the G keys feel good to me.

The MP6 is a great board. Keys feel good, nice sound, many functions and it's light also.

NP88 is getting lots of praise here on the forums. I think the most selling feature of this piano is the Nord library. You're never stuck with one or two AP and EP sounds because you can change them whenever you feel like it. I think that alone is a great feature. It really inspires you to play.

Haven't played the CP50. Have played the CP33 and think it is a great board for the price. I think it's even better than the Casio px-3.

Most of the pianos listed are around the $15-1800 mark, save for the PX-3, which is below this, and the NP88, above this mark. If I had the money I'd get the NP88, but not sure what your budget is.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Kurzweil SP4-8
- I know, people will say that the piano sounds are no longer state of the art... but I still think they sound better than the PX-3, for example
? the action? anyone try one yet?

Some other Yamaha models...

P95
+ under 30 lbs, built-in speakers, inexpensive (and, IMO, best feel and sound in its price range)
- EP velocity scaling is unnatural. Needs uncommon cable to split the 1/4" stereo out to a pair of 1/4" left/right outputs.

MOX8

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Voxpops,
I know you're not a big fan of the piano sample, but the Casio probably is the best bang for the buck in a lightweight 88 note board. With the combination of the four zone layering and combining of sounds plus it's use as a midi controller, it seems to offer a lot of flexibility. I'm not completely sold on the durability of the newer actions on the Privias. They seem to have taken a step backward but you have owned both a 330 and 130 so you can speak to that better than I can.

Yes, if they sorted out the piano sample, would there be any reason left to pay double or triple for a gigging DP? Unfortunately, that little problem irritated the heck out of me, which is why there's no longer a Privia in my stable.

As for action, I had no issue with that of the 330/130 or the 310 - I found the 320's hurt my wrists. I didn't own the newer ones long enough to be able to comment about durability.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Vox, I would add action to the cons of the NP88. Of the boards above, it's tied with the Korg SV-1 for worst action. I've been having some issues with my action that will hopefully get resolved soon. Other than that, the NP88 is the best DP I've ever owned hands down. If for some reason Nord didn't or couldn't resolve my NP88 action issue, I could possibly check out the MP6 or CP50, though I find the CP50 action a little heavy/dead having just gone back and played on it last week. The real surprise in the list above is the PX-3. Great action and decent feature set for the lowest price in the list above. Plus it can used well as a midi controller. I haven't played the Numa Piano, but I did hear a clip of Joey D playing it (yes I know he's mostly an organ player) and I didn't like the sound in the video, but YouTube videos certainly aren't the best judges of DP sound quality all the time.

It's a shame that you're having such problems with the Nord's action. I'd expected it not to be up there with the new Roland and Kawai actions for playability, but I hadn't expected reliability issues as well.

You know, I really enjoyed playing the Kawai MP5 in a solo context - it didn't sit so well in the band mix (and the EPs weren't good enough), so I didn't keep it. For me, the MP6 is the dark horse in this race - I really don't know if it would work out or not.

When I played the CP50 I thought, yes, another Yamaha - competent, clean and rather dull. Maybe I should ignore my first impressions/prejudice and give it another chance.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Kurzweil SP4-8
- I know, people will say that the piano sounds are no longer state of the art... but I still think they sound better than the PX-3, for example

Silly me! I completely forgot the Kurzweil pianos - even though I own the PC3! confused

Yes, the SP4-8, at around 40lbs would fit the bill nicely. Having played the Kurzweil piano sounds for a few hours, I'd say that they make the best of limited resources. They sound very nice, but they lack the refinement in resonance and blended layers that the newer DPs offer. The EPs are very, very good, but need more velocity layers. I actually like the PC3's EPs better than Nord's, but would suggest that Nord has integrated theirs better. Kurzweil has the raw elements available to them to make a killer piano - they just haven't done it yet.

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by voxpops

It's a shame that you're having such problems with the Nord's action. I'd expected it not to be up there with the new Roland and Kawai actions for playability, but I hadn't expected reliability issues as well.

You know, I really enjoyed playing the Kawai MP5 in a solo context - it didn't sit so well in the band mix (and the EPs weren't good enough), so I didn't keep it. For me, the MP6 is the dark horse in this race - I really don't know if it would work out or not.

When I played the CP50 I thought, yes, another Yamaha - competent, clean and rather dull. Maybe I should ignore my first impressions/prejudice and give it another chance.

Yeah, I agree on the action. I played a brand new NP88 and NS2 last week back to back with my NP88 when I took it into the dealer to have them take a look, and both new NP88/NS2 had much better feeling actions. I think I probably have a bad keybed. I can't find any other complaints on the web in regards to Nords actions and reliability. I know there are reliability issues with some Fatar boards, but not in the Nords that I've seen.

As for the MP6, I heard one live accompanying an opera singer at this outdoor festival a couple weeks ago, and before I could clearly see the stage, I thought it was a real grand piano. But playing in a band is wholly different. I'm really curious to test drive the MP6. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Spot on Vox about the CP50. It's a great little board, but it's just rather, well, dull. Last time I played it, I had played it back to back with the CP5, and the action on the CP50 felt dead-like playing in mud, and actually quite slow in its responsiveness.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by KHen
I really liked the 300nx. It's only 5 inches or so longer than other dps. But it's light, sounds good, and the G keys feel good to me.

For me, those 5 inches are an issue. As a five-piece, we often play in very cramped venues, and every inch counts. Also, having owned the RD-300SX, I still have an enormous Gator Case which I had to buy to move the thing around. I'm not even sure it will fit in our current car!

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Kurzweil SP4-8

Some other Yamaha models...

P95

MOX8

Kurzweil added to list. I'll take the liberty of copying and pasting your info on the P95 and MOX8 - hope that's OK.

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Vox, have you played the NP88? If so, how would you compare the Fatar action in it vs your PC3?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

Yes, if they sorted out the piano sample, would there be any reason left to pay double or triple for a gigging DP? Unfortunately, that little problem irritated the heck out of me,....

Doing the sound inside a computer could allow you to use the lighter and cheaper Casio. It adds to the setup effort but once the cables are all plugged in you can close the lid and forget there is a computer while you play. Added plus is that you can have perfect recording of you live performances

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Vox, have you played the NP88? If so, how would you compare the Fatar action in it vs your PC3?

Unfortunately, I haven't played the NP88. I might as well be in the middle of the Sahara, living in Oregon - it's a DP desert!

The Fatar action in the PC3 is a compromise action - not ideal for expressive piano playing. However, I was surprised that it performs as well as it does. At the moment it's sitting on the top tier of a 3-keyboard stand, and angled down, so it's difficult to get a proper impression. I need to put it down at normal playing height and give it a good piano "workout" before I can really tell just how good it's going to be.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by ChrisA

Yes, if they sorted out the piano sample, would there be any reason left to pay double or triple for a gigging DP? Unfortunately, that little problem irritated the heck out of me,....

Doing the sound inside a computer could allow you to use the lighter and cheaper Casio. It adds to the setup effort but once the cables are all plugged in you can close the lid and forget there is a computer while you play. Added plus is that you can have perfect recording of you live performances

Oh, I know. I suppose I'm just too much old school (and lazy) to want to start dealing with PCs in a live context.

mabraman, 2015
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Kurzweil SP4-8
anyone try one yet?

At NAMM with Beyer 880s phones. It felt like a toy keyboard for piano. The piano sound was very uninspiring to me. I think I played it all of about 35 seconds and moved on.

That Numa Piano isn't bad but it just comes in white.

Back in Dec. I heard the MP10 and FP7-F through my speakers at a store. I preferred the Roland sound but liked the Kawai action better.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Korg SV-1
Pros:
Vintage vibe
Excellent EPs
Simple interface
Cons:

Sorry to report that even after loading in the new SP2 and having the longer sustain on the APs, the overall player connection between sound and action just is not working for me with that Korg. Something about that R2 action they use for piano, can't put it into words but it just doesn't feel right for AP. Makes me very leery of the Kronos. Maybe with their mega sample things will feel and sound different ; have to wait and see.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

Korg SV-1
Pros:
Vintage vibe
Excellent EPs
Simple interface
Cons:

Sorry to report that even after loading in the new SP2 and having the longer sustain on the APs, the overall player connection between sound and action just is not working for me with that Korg. Something about that R2 action they use for piano, can't put it into words but it just doesn't feel right for AP. Makes me very leery of the Kronos. Maybe with their mega sample things will feel and sound different ; have to wait and see.

That's disappointing.

Looks like the field is being narrowed (unsurprisingly) to Roland SN, Nord and Kawai MP6 (with PX-3 as the wild card for those that like the Casio piano sound).

mabraman, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Looks like the field is being narrowed (unsurprisingly) to Roland SN, Nord and Kawai MP6 (with PX-3 as the wild card for those that like the Casio piano sound).

Yeah, if for some bazaar reason Nord is unable to take care of the NP88, which I think they will, I would very seriously look at the MP6. Great action, good sound, relatively light weight.

I am pretty obsessed with my NP88 though, so 99.999999....% sure the NP88 is here to stay for a while. wink Too bad I can't afford both MP6 and keep my red set up!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Yes, if they sorted out the piano sample, would there be any reason left to pay double or triple for a gigging DP?

I think the action is just passable. And ideally, I'd like speakers in it, but that's a common omission. And while it is better than anything else at its price/weight as a MIDI controller, I'd still prefer something with a mod wheel, expression pedal, more than two zones, and ideally aftertouch. So yes, I'd still pay double+ for all that! I know, the PX3 is called 4-zone, but you can only split the keyboard at one point, which doesn't give you 4 separate zones of MIDI control. At the moment, the MOX8 is my board of choice, addressing all of these things except aftertouch and speakers. I like the sound, and it's only 32.6 lbs.

As for action, I had no issue with that of the 330/130 or the 310 - I found the 320's hurt my wrists.

I never played a 320, but I thought the action of the 310 was better than the 330.

Last edited by anotherscott; 05/06/11 05:38 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission