Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1954759 - 09/06/12 11:12 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
No offence taken, It is not your fault that you typoed "semi likable" instead of "totally likeable chap" and "occasionally funny" instead of "immensely amusing to the point of incontinence"

You may have been distracted by jazz at the time of posting.

I was just thinking, to me Jazz is the only thing worse than the sound of a nagging women, and most men have the ability to detune their ears to the sound of a nagging women so we dont actually hear it anymore,

we learn to say things at the end of the nag like " oh yes how correct" or " Indeed" or "Okay, I will get onto it first thing in the morning"

If asked, even for lots of money we cannot repeat any of the nag, because we were not listening.

Some men lock their women up in the cellar and beat them to stop the nagging.

This does not work for jazz musicians, they will still carry on playing and improvising, and seem to thrive in dark places.

Edited by Rostosky (09/06/12 11:12 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1954773 - 09/06/12 11:41 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Tribbs Offline

Loc: Madtown
In order to enjoy Jazz you must be one of the [un]fortunate few who are anointed by a very rare type of cosmic ray. This rare cosmic ray contains stable particles of antimatter that manages to penetrate the earth's atmosphere intact. It typically aims straight for the atomic bull's eye on a victims forehead. Most of this jassy antimatter slices right through the cortex without any evidence of its visit. However, should that one rare event occur that disrupts a certain synapse in the auditory cortex the victim will become smitten with dissonance and will aimlessly and helplessly search for a stable chord for the remainder of his life.

None the worse for wear, victims will claim superior musicianship [Allegedly as a result of relentless hours spent developing and repeatedly playing obscure scales in a syncopated beat.] and befriend fellow victims in the dark recesses of shady nightclubs. There is no known cure. Probably because none has been sought.

Sometimes they can be quite the spectacle!
Witness: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxYw7Y45Eo smokincursing

#1954788 - 09/06/12 12:12 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

For those that cannot be bothered to follow a link , this is what Tribbs just posted.

What new shade of H E L L is this?

No, dont answer that, because what I will hear is this: (remember the sound of a girl nagging)

"Blah Blah Blah, technical merit, blah blah blah blahety blah blah, improvised procrastination, blah chord structure lead sheet blah blah blahety, long windy explanation of worth, blah blah structural integrity.... blah blah extremely awkward dominant 7th + 13th augmented 5th/Eb variation upon a nice sounding chord. blah blah infinitum."

And it still sounds like total shite to me.

In fact , after listening to that, I actually said "dont worry, I promise I will fix the hoover first thing in the morning"

Edited by Rostosky (09/06/12 12:12 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1954794 - 09/06/12 12:25 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Tribbs Offline

Loc: Madtown
(sent to Tartarus)

#1954853 - 09/06/12 02:12 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
That video's great - the thing that struck me more than anything is that from the expressions on their faces and their body language, all three of those people appear to be in some considerable pain. I thought that the first cut to the guy with the six string bass was a great comedy moment - perfect timing.

I'm always wary when there are more than four strings on a bass. Just get a guitar already if you want to play solos.

#1954860 - 09/06/12 02:33 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: KeemaNan]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KeemaNan
That video's great - the thing that struck me more than anything is that from the expressions on their faces and their body language, all three of those people appear to be in some considerable pain.

The expressions on their faces were nothing compared to the expression on both my dogs face and my own face, we were in so much terrible pain also, fortunately , only for a fraction of the time that the performers were in pain for.

This was because the performers played for a much longer length of time than either myself or the dog could listen to.

we managed 14.7 seconds.

#1954962 - 09/06/12 05:31 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
I just watched a bit more of that video. I'm sure that's Eric Idle on the drums. Maybe if you watch to the end they break into 'Always look on the bright side of life'.

#1954985 - 09/06/12 06:13 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: KeemaNan]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KeemaNan
. Maybe if you watch to the end they break into 'Always look on the bright side of life'.

You aint going to catch old Rossy that easy.

Thats allmost like saying "just give me the cash and i will go and get it for you" I have been around for longer than that.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever of me watching any more of that upsetting and spleen bursting noise ever again.

If anyone knows what a spleens purpose is, do let me know, I dont know what it does, am to lazy to google it and the only thing I can safely say is that jazz is detrimental to ones spleen/car/paraboots/dog/position in society/rectal elasticity.

#1955024 - 09/06/12 07:21 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

For someone who purports to hate jazz, you sure spend ALOT of time talking about it. You must have a secret crush or something. Why are you wasting so much time writing, shouldn't you be practicing or playing. almost 3000 posts, geez, what a waste.

#1955025 - 09/06/12 07:23 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

hey dude do you have any friends in real life? just askin' hit up Ronnie Scotts. you may find some there.

#1955034 - 09/06/12 07:46 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44U4U2pyV...ture=plpp_video

You might want to get a proper piano stand. You just about killed your digital!! haha. Learn this word, dynamics.

I reckon even the lowest graded jazz players at juco could outplay you with their left hand.

#1955038 - 09/06/12 07:54 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

I propose we lock you up in a room playing Thelonious Monk and Cecil Taylor 24/7. You'll be a reformed man in no time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP5L8tjnB6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmeNsmQaFw&feature=related

#1955192 - 09/07/12 02:23 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Oh no... Rossy...have you fallen off the wagon again? Quick! Somebody check the basset hound for over medication! smile

Seriously... Music is an expression of the heart. Then with some it becomes a match with their nervous system. Also shows their heart. Same way with some jazz.
Now I find this jazz just plain hot....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdJFmyLm...ture=plpp_video

Edited by rnaple (09/07/12 03:06 AM)

#1955212 - 09/07/12 03:34 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

Words reveal the character and heart behind a person's intentions. For this guy to start a thread and write all this vitriol about jazz shows a deep angst. I doubt very much it is only jazz that gnaws at him, perhaps some childhood trauma or family issue has affected him and his only recourse is to lash out at jazz. It's pretty funny from my point of view.

A true musician never denigrates the art form. There are many musical styles I like and some I don't like. I don't go off pontificating on those which don't appeal to me. Why waste time on that when I could be listening and playing music I enjoy.

Professional or amateur, I highly doubt he's taken serious time to study, learn, teach, perform and share music with integrity. I personally would not trust or hire him for any of the above.

#1955260 - 09/07/12 07:04 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiZeM@N
Why are you wasting so much time writing, shouldn't you be practicing or playing.

Dude, you then went on to write another four posts without anybody else posting inbetween, This is exactly what jazz musicians do, they go on and on and on without anyone else getting a chance...

They too like the sound of their own solitary voices.

Quote Wizenedman again " I personally would not trust or hire him for any of the above."

Dude, you couldnt afford to. (And dont try offering me Euros again)

Edited by Rostosky (09/07/12 07:09 AM)

#1955266 - 09/07/12 07:28 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
I just want to know who's going to start the thread titled
" Why do I hate disco? " ......

#1955273 - 09/07/12 07:53 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

Dude, you then went on to write another four posts without anybody else posting inbetween, This is exactly what jazz musicians do, they go on and on and on without anyone else getting a chance...

They too like the sound of their own solitary voices.

Quote Wizenedman again " I personally would not trust or hire him for any of the above."

Dude, you couldnt afford to. (And dont try offering me Euros again)

hey dude, take a look in the mirror. most of your single posts here are longer than my 4 posts combined!

Learn this word: brevity

You really have no clue about jazz, most players play in groups not solo.

My last performance cheque could no doubt easily cover your pedantic fee, but why bother when I got 10 year old students who play better than you and for free?

I heard they're looking for buskers again at Picadilly Circus, best put in an audition while you can. You might get lucky with a quid or two.

#1955280 - 09/07/12 08:14 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

dang man with all the posts you have you could have written a bloody novel! problem is no one would buy it!

I think I hate your writing style like you hate jazz. It's so filled with incoherent ramblings that I just skip over everything. I'll put you on ignore eventually but for now I'm having too much fun ribbing you. =)

#1955283 - 09/07/12 08:22 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: piano joy]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: piano joy
I just want to know who's going to start the thread titled
" Why do I hate disco? " ......

Go for it PJ!! I'd be delighted to post my Kool and the Gang favorites! laugh

#1955368 - 09/07/12 11:10 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
gahdzila Offline

Gentlemen, PLEASE! A little ribbing and teasing is fine, I've certainly done my share here...but let's cool it with the personal attacks, shall we? Not that I think Rossy needs any help from me, but scrolling through post after post of personal attacks in what was previously a funny and light-hearted thread is getting tiresome.

I don't know if you clicked these links or not, Rossy...but I presume you haven't if your spleen is still intact. I recommend keeping your distance if you value your semi-useless internal organs.

I propose we lock you up in a room playing Thelonious Monk and Cecil Taylor 24/7. You'll be a reformed man in no time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP5L8tjnB6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmeNsmQaFw&feature=related

#1955404 - 09/07/12 12:22 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
eNOTEquest Offline

dang man with all the posts you have you could have written a bloody novel! problem is no one would buy it!

I think I hate your writing style like you hate jazz. It's so filled with incoherent ramblings that I just skip over everything. I'll put you on ignore eventually but for now I'm having too much fun ribbing you. =)

Hear hear! I'm new here, but it only took reading one of R's posts to realize that he's a music elitist wanker. I don't even love jazz, but having my eyes fall upon the pretentious verbal masturbation of R is a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemies!

#1955407 - 09/07/12 12:27 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
eNOTEquest Offline

Of course you can't criticize dudes like this because they suck back the compensating e-attention and spit it back in the form of more verbal masturbation, which is why I'll be peacing now wink

#1955423 - 09/07/12 12:57 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'll put you on ignore eventually

You are absolutely correct, I did write a novel that nobody bought , the publishers said the problem was actually in the title though.

It was entitled, "wizeman,mentally abusing ten year old students with jazz related augmented 5th+13th's"

My next novel will have a better title, something like Piano joy suggested " Is disco brain dead or is it just unwise, man?"

I thought that a much cleverer title because you cant prove a negative.

Anyways, do not wait to put me on ignore, I Love being on folks ignore list, that way I get to see what they post , but they cannot see what I am posting, fantastic Idea.

So, if you hate jazz your an "elitist wanker?" excellent, much better than just being a common wanker I suppose.

allthough as I love every other genre of music apart from jazz I fail to see how that works.
(Bagpipes isnt music as I understand it)

Great to see you back Piano joy by the way, long time no hear.

#1955506 - 09/07/12 04:25 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: eNOTEquest]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: eNOTEquest
[quote=WiZeM@N]

Hear hear! I'm new here, but it only took reading one of R's posts to realize that he's a music elitist wanker. I don't even love jazz, but having my eyes fall upon the pretentious verbal masturbation of R is a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemies!

I learned a new phrase today. Wonder if I'll EVER be able to incorporate it into my lexicon.
I love this place....

(thanks for the welcome, Rossy...)

#1955609 - 09/07/12 08:12 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: eNOTEquest]
WiZeM@N Offline

Originally Posted By: eNOTEquest
Of course you can't criticize dudes like this because they suck back the compensating e-attention and spit it back in the form of more verbal masturbation, which is why I'll be peacing now wink

I couldn't have said it better myself eNOTEquest!

#1955714 - 09/08/12 12:34 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Well, my arm's still too sore to play much, so guess I'll join in the discussion here.. I've tried two local jazz teachers over the years because I thought it might be fun and I do like some jazz, but they didn't last long. Both rolled their eyes at me right from the start and said my playing was too "cocktail style" and "you have to think like a jazz player, not cocktail player". I asked what do you mean, and he says my playing is too "flowery". I said "Well, what do you have against flowers"?! LOL That was the end of my lessons. I think maybe Chopin and Tchaikovsky were accused of the same thing? Just play what you love, IMO. The best teacher I ever had (about 25 years ago) combined classical, cocktail, jazz, etc, etc.

#1955732 - 09/08/12 02:37 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: gahdzila]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: gahdzila
Gentlemen, PLEASE! A little ribbing and teasing is fine, I've certainly done my share here...but let's cool it with the personal attacks, shall we?

I agree. Like in music. The heart shows in what is said.
We got a couple "gentlemen" who have been here less than a month. They're posting destruction.

Who is the real troll?

Rossy always posts creativity. Causes us to think. Be amused. Entertains people with expanding their minds. I like him. Even though I like to rib him also. smile

EDIT: I've always said I love the mind of jazz. The creativity. Particular players are irrelevant to me.

Edited by rnaple (09/08/12 02:42 AM)

#1955747 - 09/08/12 03:24 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Stephen300o Offline

Jazz always seems to be for those who can't remember what to play.
While punk is fo those who can't remember how to play.

#1955748 - 09/08/12 03:27 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Tribbs]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky

What new shade of H E L L is this?

No, dont answer that,...

Originally Posted By: Tribbs
In order to enjoy Jazz you must be one of the [un]fortunate few who...There is no known cure. Probably because none has been sought.

Sometimes they can be quite the spectacle!

I like to call that: Prozac music. High sugar diets. Energy drinks. Diet pills. Any of that will cure you. Will understand it perfectly. Will actually like it.
See Rossy? You just need to get your Doctor to change your prescription. But then, your Basset Hound will leave you.

#1955770 - 09/08/12 05:58 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

I'm sure old Rosto can handle a few insults his way. With a title like that he knew full well he'd get the jazz guys all riled up. Time to take what you can dish. He's a man.

and no, his posts aren't creative or worthy of anything at all. what I don't get is for someone with so little musical skill why are you not practicing more? Get off the forums and get in the woodshed.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, Atrys, anotherscott, Auver, 46 invisible), 1412 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251051 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission