Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1955771 - 09/08/12 06:24 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Of course I can take insults, but you cannot keep insulting me just because I am a hetrosexual, thats not allowed.

You keep your piano in the woodshed?

probably best place for it, hope its right at the bottom of a very very long garden where the neighbours dont have to suffer the jazz.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1955792 - 09/08/12 09:11 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

Huh? you make no sense dude. for someone who prides himself on hating jazz i'm surprised how little knowledge you have of it. obviously you haven't heard of the "woodshed" metaphor, shows you aren't even a real musician.

get your chops up and keep working on that C major scale. you'll get there one day.

#1955795 - 09/08/12 09:14 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

Here's one of the newest sensations on the jazz piano scene. Mixes cool middle eastern soul into his playing.

Don't click on it, you may actually like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidCfcMI7Lw

#1955797 - 09/08/12 09:18 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

This girl is hotter than any you'll ever date. Sadly she passed away last month. Way too young. She was an emerging jazz star in New York. Beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKVo-57EBU

#1955837 - 09/08/12 10:51 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dude, First off, you say you have students, and yet you are not even capable of posting a link here that we can see,instead of having to navigate away from Pianoworld. like this for example..

You reckon this lass is "hot" my god your standards are low, I wouldnt touch her with yours.

Are you married to a Hairy female Russian wrestler?

And she has a bald patch on her head ( hence the leo sayer cap)

I am genuinly sorry though that the jazz killed her, I wouldnt wish that on anyone including your good self, and have tried to warn people about the detrimental effects of jazz on ones health.

Now that you have given us an example of "Death by jazz" can we agree to disagree, whilst hating jazz myself personally, even I didnt realise it was fatal for the less than plain janes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1955867 - 09/08/12 11:47 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Perhaps time to lock this thread.
It's one thing to start a hate thread, quite another to mock the death of a young woman.

#1955891 - 09/08/12 12:20 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

get a grip dude, wizeman actually said "This girl IS hotter than any you will ever date" Not was hotter, see the difference? (present and past tense)

As she is dead, he was claiming that I would be unable to date anyone hotter than a dead girl. OR saying that he thinks dead girls are hot, how do I know what is going through his mind?

Death comes to us all like it or not, its no big deal, no one checks out alive.

Monty python did it with "allways look on the bright side of life" are you suggesting some jazz pianist is more important than christ?

A hate thread it is not, what does that trendy "buzzword" amount to anyways, and where does it actually count except in some USA sitcom.

I am entitled to "hate jazz" I dont hate jazz musicians per se nor do I hate anyone personally, the thread is not about hatred in and of itself, just my hatred of jazz,

Or are you advocating censorship of free speech? isnt that written into your constitution?

Dont like what someone says, censor them?

Mock the dead, they care not, why should you?

Edited by Rostosky (09/08/12 12:25 PM)

#1955901 - 09/08/12 12:34 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
..are you suggesting some jazz pianist is more important than christ?

Oh, absolutely. Enormously more important. After all, Jazz pianists EXIST...

(That's killed this thread. I hope:-)

#1955902 - 09/08/12 12:37 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here is kai from lexx explaining what the dead dont care about

#1955931 - 09/08/12 01:23 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
1RC Offline

Loc: Alberta
As someone who's curiously exploring jazz, this thread's been a great source of discovery. I enjoyed that Shimrit Shoshan link Wizeman, that's some beautiful playing and for what it's worth she IS quite nice to look at smile

If we can get the meanness out and stick to humour and music this thread has value yet.

#1955944 - 09/08/12 01:47 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: 1RC]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 1RC
As someone who's curiously exploring jazz,

If we can get the meanness out and stick to humour and music this thread has value yet.

well said dude, I wasnt the one who started being mean, but in the interests of polite gentlemanly conduct, I will be the first to stop pretending to be mean. Hows that for a gesture of goodwill?

Excellent, and moving on, you say you are "jazz curious"

(a.) Do your parents know yet?
(b.) Should we keep it a secret till your certain?

Oh two quick questions.....

Question number one; "Am I allowed to mock Hitler? If so, is this only before his demise or afterwards as well?

And second question, (Which happened to be my original question)

Just why do I hate jazz?

No one has offered up a suitably believable explanation as yet,

If some one had said ( for example)

"Rossy, you hate jazz because you are a brain dead non-musically minded retarded inbred moronic inadequate excuse for a human being"

Then, of course I could have understood it, but they didnt, they got personal instead and attacked my character flaws.

#1956029 - 09/08/12 04:39 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Rossy, I think it has been established that you don't "hate" jazz. You dislike it and aren't really interested in getting to know it any better than your exposure to it, to-date.

I don't see why this is such an onerous question niggling at your mind, ..... I don't like heavy metal.
I could say I hate it, but I don't think I want to give it that much energy.
Do I need to explain or justify why I don't like it? I think not.

I think the issue is that lots and lots of people like jazz and have difficulty understanding why someone might not like it and are determined to convince you (or me, or anyone) that this dislike is unreasonable. Fewer people are as passionate about heavy metal...at least in my experience.

Some things are like raw oysters. With practice you can develop an appreciation for them. Unlike raw sea urchins. No amount of encouragement would ever convince me to have a second try at those!

I don't much like orange either. I mean, I like oranges, but I don't particularly care for the colour. I don't get a lot of people telling me that this is wrong, and something I should work at.

I guess jazz, in whatever form you choose to examine it, just doesn't appeal to you. Jazz is your sea urchin. Maybe even your orange sea urchin.

Perhaps you don't like the unpredictability of jazz (some jazz). Perhaps you feel it clashes with your inner harmony. Perhaps there is something about certain note combinations that just physically grates on your nerves.

There are times when I too feel this way about some types of jazz. I always feel this way about heavy metal music. Orange rarely causes much distrubance to my psyche. I can't discuss the sea urchins, sorry.

Now, if you somehow feel that by not liking jazz you are missing out on something... that might be a thing to look into and work on, but as far as I can tell... that's not the case.

Let it go Grasshopper, acknowledge that jazz is your orange sea urchin. Let it go.

#1956037 - 09/08/12 04:51 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya Cas long time no hear, so, in a nutshell you dont like hari krishna types because of the orange garb they allways wear?

And what you are saying is that JAZZ is my personal Hari krishna annoyance?

Wow, never thought of it like that before they allways seemed so friendly and loving..

#1956039 - 09/08/12 04:55 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Twist my words.......sigh....;)

#1956066 - 09/08/12 05:52 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: casinitaly]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
It's simple.

Rossy, I am guessing....you "hate jazz" because it doesn't speak to your soul.

Next question....

#1956114 - 09/08/12 07:55 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

hey guys, I'll be posting up a new jazz pianist/musician video every day here, so people can get a taste of what jazz really is.

as for the Rostoman, his comments are getting too absurd. Like I said, he's got some serious personal issues unrelated to jazz or music to work out. And I don't care either way if he hates jazz or never likes it. he's just one pea in a pod.

There's enough jazz lovers and curious people that want to explore and listen to it. Lots of new, fresh, inspiring musicians out there making their mark. And old ones mastering the craft.

Let's switch the focus onto the good stuff!

#1956116 - 09/08/12 08:00 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

Here's Jamie Cullum from the UK. More pop than jazz now, but he definitely has the spirit, and I love how he turns the piano into a percussive instrument. What do you guys think of him?

#1956118 - 09/08/12 08:05 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

hey Rosto, were you bullied as a kid? You have the classic passive-aggressive behaviour and seem quite sensitive when people question you. It could be a reaction to things that have happened in your past.

Your lack of empathy, especially towards a young girl who passed away too suddenly shows a coldness in your heart that is alarming. saying that jazz killed her really is over the top.
you must be a big hit with the ladies I reckon.

#1956121 - 09/08/12 08:17 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: rnaple]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: rnaple
We got a couple "gentlemen" who have been here less than a month. They're posting destruction.

Gotta say, this is the detail which has has been foremost in my mind in observing the revival of this thread.

With insufficient context, interpretations can get bizarre... esp. when the local trickster is involved.

Edited by tangleweeds (09/08/12 08:18 PM)
Edit Reason: some people make typos, i make wordos

neglected piano blog

#1956123 - 09/08/12 08:31 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
WiZeM@N Offline

And saying that I don't know how to post a video has no correlation to my musical skills. I wonder why you didn't bother to even show me, seeing as you're the resident expert on the piano forums. Hey, if you need some piano lessons though I'd be happy to help. Might have to charge you extra seeing as you're a "special" case.

#1956169 - 09/08/12 11:24 PM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Who's the sock puppet?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1956205 - 09/09/12 02:48 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
SirHuddlestonFudd Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
I dare you not to like "Salt Peanuts."

#1956223 - 09/09/12 05:19 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: SirHuddlestonFudd]
Stephen300o Offline

Originally Posted By: SirHuddlestonFudd
I dare you not to like "Salt Peanuts."

Prefer roasted.

#1956232 - 09/09/12 06:18 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
I would also class myself as a person who dislikes jazz, however, I love trad stuff, there is a great British trumpeter, been around for years, called Kenny Ball, Honky-Tonk Train Blues and a lot, though not all, 12 Bar stuff, would never EVER miss The Oscar Peterson Piano Party and I am a fan of the saxamaphone playing of that all-time great, Lisa Simpson.

What I actively dislike (believe it or not, almost to a point where it makes me actually feel physically sick!) is the modern habit, where a combinatuion of various chords comprising mainly intervals of a tone and a half are meandered about on a keyboard by a self-proclaimed "Jazz Pianist". Where is the MUSIC?

Having said that I turned Art Tatum off recently, yeah, clever... but unrestful, the tune it proclaimed itself to be, I have forgotten the title, was virtually unrecognisable, Ok, some like it.

I don't.
(OH, YEAH, I CAN PLAY THE SCALE OF C MAJOR AND WAS DOING SO BEFORE MANY HERE WERE EVEN BORN! FACT!!)

As for peanut envy, I ain't even going there.

#1956233 - 09/09/12 06:30 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: WiZeM@N]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiZeM@N
hey guys, I'll be posting up a new jazz pianist/musician video every day here, so people can get a taste of what jazz really is.

Oh deary me, and I had agreed to stop pretending to be mean as a gesture of goodwill , and now we will get punished every day ad infinitum.

This was a thread where people could "come out" and publicly admit they didnt like jazz too,, a very brave and noble thing to do.

There allready is a thread for the jazz buffs to post in its called "jazz study group two" (the sequel)

Becca, I dont know who the sock puppet is.

I prefer my peanuts when they are bought in the supermarket and not in a bar of a jazz club, I am allergic to those.

Wizeman, you are so correct. I was bullied as a kid, by a jazz musician with an unmuted trumpet, every where I went he followed me blowing his trumpet in my ear unexpectedly, for ages and ages, Not only did it make me jump out of my skin, it made my ears bleed, and once he played 3,800 notes in a row with no discernable melody .

He had reached what is known as the "jazz pinnacle" of his career, and had just learnt of a man in New orleans whom it was said could play 3,942 notes in a row with no discernable melody,

He was gutted, and knowing he was on the way to being down and out, took it out on me.

I was just four years old, and at this tender age I began developing my jazz related personality disorder which I have nurtured to this day.

It might also have made me frightened of Hari krishna types with bells and cymbals as the melodic content of that racket is also dubious.

Maybe the only good thing to come out of the pre pubescent "jazz bullying" episodes, was that I learned the difference between a Radio and a jazz musician very early on in life.

For those that are unsure, You can switch a radio off easily.

#1956239 - 09/09/12 07:00 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
KlinkKlonk Offline

dOn't forget that the without jazz, we'd be still dancing polkas and jigs, ultimately artist like the beatles, pink floyd, bruce springsteen, bob dylan, rolling stones, tom waits, wouldnt't exist if it weren't for buddy bolden or jelly roll morton et al
you might not like jazz in it's current state but jazz and blues also represent emancipation of a whole people so i think some respect would be in order..
I'd like to see you diss this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9FZMHNhJ80 beetwen the wars 10000+ black people were lynched in the south

#1956245 - 09/09/12 07:29 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: KlinkKlonk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KlinkKlonk
jazz and blues also represent emancipation of a whole people so i think some respect would be in order..
I'd like to see you diss this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9FZMHNhJ80 beetwen the wars 10000+ black people were lynched in the south

DUDE, that is totally illogical to play the "Black card" on me of all people. And it doesnt make any sense at all.

I was born and brought up in Hull, ( check with wayne33yrs another yorkie)

If you know your history, William wilberforce was also a Hull lad, and as a lad myself I was regularly taken to Wilberforce House/museum.

willberforce spent the majority of his adult life till his death in abolishing slavery, and the museum is a testament to his work,

Once seen ( especially as a kid) is never forgotten.

BUT, Your logic is flawed, my dislike (hatred) of jazz does not in anyway make me responsible or disrespectfull of what went on in the south of your country.

Thats akin to saying, If I dislike Jewish music then I am a "holocaust deniar"

Ridiculous argument. As an aside I love klezmer and have posted a few links on RST since I found out about it...

like this one for instance... totally melodic, unlike jazz.

Edited by Rostosky (09/09/12 07:44 AM)
Edit Reason: cant spell.

#1956246 - 09/09/12 07:32 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: KlinkKlonk]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
dOn't forget that the without jazz, we'd be still dancing polkas ...

Oh please! Don't mention poxxxs! I would start a: I hate Poxkxs thread." Except I can't stand the sound of the name. They are as bad as Patsy Cline!

Ok here ya go Rossy...
You hate Jazz because you aren't taking the right medication. Try getting your doctor to prescribe: Rimadyl, Ritalyn, Prozac, or any of the other amphetamines they prescribe to children these days. You could also try changing your diet. High sugar content. Lots of caffeine. Can substitute diet pills for coffee. Be sure to drink plenty of energy drinks...the kind they say will kill you.
Warning...Don't get this stuff near your Basset Hound. He will never forgive you.
If you follow my advise. You will love jazz.

#1956247 - 09/09/12 07:43 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rnaple, sorry we posted at the same time...

Great advice as usual though.

The last time i went to the chemist with my prescription, I traded it in for a "pick and mix" but even that didnt help, I tried a quick listen to miles davies and promptly threw up half my meds and lost them.

while I was posting my previous post, I just got bitten by a damn horse fly ( no kidding) and now have a big bump on my arm, showing that even talking about jazz may be detrimental to my health.

Now I have to go google whats the best thing for a horse fly bite to sooth it? I did know but its been so long I have forgotten.

#1956248 - 09/09/12 07:45 AM Re: why do I hate jazz? [Re: Rostosky]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
jazz and blues also represent emancipation of a whole people so i think some respect would be in order..

DUDE, that is totally illogical to play the "Black card" on me of all people. And it doesnt make any sense at all.

I was born and brought up in Hull, ( check with wayne33yrs another yorkie)

If you know your history, William wilberforce was also a Hull lad, and as a lad myself I was regularly taken to Wilberforce House/museum.

willberforce spent the majority of his adult life till his death in abolishing slavery, and the museum is a testament to his work,

Once seen ( especially as a kid) is never forgotten.

BUT, Your logic is flawed, my dislike (hatred) of jazz does not in anyway make me responsible or disrespectfull of what went on in the south of your country.

Thats akin to saying, If I dislike Jewish music then I am a "holocaust denier"

Ridiculous argument. As an aside I love klezmer and have posted a few links on RST since I found out about it...

like this one for instance... totally melodic, unlike jazz.

then give it it's proper due, i don't see the reason for your self indulgement on this topic. 1000s of people have worked insanely hard on developing musical skils with little hope of ever being able to support themself economically by doing the thing they love just to have some charlatan rack down on them...
you dislike jazz, that's fine but why do you have to make fun of us?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
58 registered (ando, anotherscott, bennevis, Alex Hernandez, Atrys, 14 invisible), 1081 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251182 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
1 second ago
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission