2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Surfing today led me from a thread here to a blog (Color in My Piano) to the announcement of a series, which, apparently, cater to boys: http://www.pianomusicforboys.com/

I have to admit, my knee jerk reaction was one of horror. I had once seen some old lesson books (published in the 1940's, say) that had gender separated themes like that. (I don't remember the exact phrasing, but the "boy" book had marches and patriotic songs; the "girl" book talked about helping girls to become poised and become ready to one day entertain her husband's guests.) I remember making fun of the staled gender roles, but shrugged them off as typical of their time. But really? In 2011, do we really need to make "fearless fortissimo" a boy trait?

I suppose there may be good pedagogical reasons (e.g., children go through phases of strong gender identification; or maybe it's harder to convince boys to practice than girls). Still...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Looks dreadful. I notice the ad is backed by hard-rock guitar. Boys who want to play hard rock guitar, should play hard rock guitar.

There may be something in the gender-specific theme that would be useful. But not this.

Does remind me a little of a conversation I once had with the head teacher at the primary school. I asked her why my son's reading book always had a girl as a central character. She said authors write for a girl's market because girls do more reading. Right... wink

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MegumiNoda
Surfing today led me from a thread here to a blog (Color in My Piano) to the announcement of a series, which, apparently, cater to boys: http://www.pianomusicforboys.com/

I have to admit, my knee jerk reaction was one of horror. I had once seen some old lesson books (published in the 1940's, say) that had gender separated themes like that. (I don't remember the exact phrasing, but the "boy" book had marches and patriotic songs; the "girl" book talked about helping girls to become poised and become ready to one day entertain her husband's guests.) I remember making fun of the staled gender roles, but shrugged them off as typical of their time. But really? In 2011, do we really need to make "fearless fortissimo" a boy trait?
I suppose there may be good pedagogical reasons (e.g., children go through phases of strong gender identification; or maybe it's harder to convince boys to practice than girls). Still...

Oh such a great topic discussion!

Just lent out a book to a boy that was titled "Something for the Girls" that had "Larger than Life" by The Backstreet boys! Well, one of his male friends was at his house & teased him that we decided to "hide" his piano books away! Tough lesson for use all, rather tough piano lesson (pun intended)!

Have noticed recently that the Dan Coates books are calling these pop books, "Pop Hits for the Teen Player"! Not much better as I have tweenagers playing out of these books as well!

Can't win! Just call them music collections "Pop for EVERYONE"!

So, I have photocopied pieces that both genders will enjoy, regardless of piano book title! Now I just have to go and answer the door, as the "photo-copying Police have arrived! grin

Last edited by Diane...; 05/08/11 01:20 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Diane...
So, I have photocopied pieces that both genders will enjoy, regardless of piano book title!

Now THAT is an interesting statement! "Pieces that both genders will enjoy..." If there's a middle ground, there must be extremes. Why deny either sex the enjoyment of them?

Because your son probably doesn't want to do pink-fairy-ballet stuff, do you deny it to your daughter?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, I found that my 3 volume collection of pieces I assembled for the transgendered was not at all well-received by the mainstream market.... The were oddly popular with Lady Gaga fans though...

T
T
I am glad this debate has surfaced because it was certainly front and centre in the minds of myself and my husband when we created The Adventures of Fearless Fortissimo. We knew, undoubtedly, that the material would give rise to some discussion on gender-specific material.

Our conclusion, and the reason why we continued to write the series, was because we came to recognize the difference between materials written to promote gender-specific behaviours and materials written to address gender-specific behaviours. The Adventures of Fearless Fortissimo was obviously written with the latter in mind.

Over the years at our music school we came to recognize a discrepancy in motivation between our male piano students and our female piano students. This discrepancy was resulting in male piano students having a substantially higher dropout rate than female piano students.

To address this we sought to find the root of the problem which was in fact that, boys learn differently than girls. This extends beyond the piano into many areas of education. Through a year of extensive research into the learning styles of boys we felt we had enough information that we could create a piano program that would eliminate the motivational discrepancy that we had first recognized.

The result was, The Adventures of Fearless Fortissimo (Piano Books For Boys). Will pieces and storyline appeal to girls? Probably... but when we wrote this series it was based on the research highlighting the different learning styles of boys (not girls), and therefore to call the series anything other than “Piano Books For Boys” would be misleading to teachers interested in the material. The series is meant to address gender-specific behaviours, not to promote gender-specific behaviours.

If you have any concerns or questions please message me, I would be happy to discuss at length.

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by tdow
The series is meant to address gender-specific behaviours, not to promote gender-specific behaviours.

I wonder if, in our society, it's really possible to separate these issues? Does not targetting a gender behaviour have the circular effect of promoting that behaviour in the long term?

Not that I'd be enormously worried -- my experience is that children are quite capable of drifting into traditional gender roles whatever their parents think about it. I can't see how a piano book for boys is going to cause society to crumble smile

S
S
I think it's a good question. Particularly in light of tdow's post about "addressing learning differences" and "promoting" them.

Of course, as a teacher, I find that nearly every student learns a LITTLE differently. Even at 10 years old, there are expectations and quirks "inherited" from family members that are to be considered when designing any kind of syllabus for learning. That's what a teacher is FOR. smile

That said, writing a series of books that is catered to the learning styles of one gender or the other does not seem, to me, to be a bad idea. Writing ONE series and just changing the title of a piece here and there to "patriotic melody" or "ballerina melody" does not.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by kevinb
I wonder if, in our society, it's really possible to separate these issues? Does not targetting a gender behaviour have the circular effect of promoting that behaviour in the long term?

Remind me again why gender differences are bad? We steer our children in so many ways, under the pretence that we're just providing "opportunities for discovery". A middle-class family "assumes" their children will read, study, achieve .... and angle their environment to encourage and enable these things. Why are we frightened of assuming that a boy will act like a boy, a girl like a girl?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have a more basic question. Regardless of any tastes which a large number of people in a group may share, there is still learning to play the piano as a skill. You want eventually to be able to play any music in a manner that reflects your own personality and what you see in the music. So what about that side of it? There are some sample videos up showing both the music and I think how it is expected to be played. Does this tell us anything?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

Remind me again why gender differences are bad? ... Why are we frightened of assuming that a boy will act like a boy, a girl like a girl?

I don't think people think that "gender differences are bad," but people may have concerns about *perceived* gender differences that unnecessarily restrict a child from developing in certain ways. The situation is exacerbated by the problem that a lot of the research is still on-going, so it's difficult to decide what "a boy will act like a boy" exactly means (how much of it is innate and how much of it is socially/culturally created?).

In my original post, I had admitted that my immediate reaction to this particular series (Fearless Fortissimo) is visceral. If the series turns out to be effective for boy piano students, great.

In theory, I don't actually have a problem with gender specific teaching material targeted at leveling the playing field (e.g., exposing girls to robots, boys to ballet, or whatever). In practice, it's very challenging to create effective materials, even with developers who have the best of intentions. In my own experience, at least, gender specific packaging of general things often end up being not so effective for either gender (e.g., Pink Tools for Women).

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
... to call the series anything other than “Piano Books For Boys” would be misleading to teachers interested in the material...

Hope you all don't mind a non-teacher chiming in with an opinion. This topic is pretty interesting to me.

tdow, I applaud your efforts and your intent, and it looks to me like you've produced a really interesting product.

My question is... WHY does it have to be titled "For Boys?" What would be "misleading" about simply calling it "Fearless Fortissimo" and leaving it at that?

Why not just put it out there, knowing it will appeal mostly to boys, but maybe to some girls, too? To me, that would solve the problem, and certainly teachers would be capable of identifying which of their students might like it (whether they are boys or girls).

I would analogize it to other products: There's certainly no problem with the fact that there are both dolls and toy trucks on the market, and I don't think many folks would question that more girls than boys like dolls, and more boys than girls like toy trucks... but what if those products were labeled "Barbie Doll For Girls" or "Tonka Truck For Boys," or most analogous to your product, "Toys For Boys" and "Toys For Girls." I think THAT'S where the problem comes in. That's when we get into the slippery slope and circular logic of whether we're "promoting" gender stereotypes or "addressing" them (to use your terms).

In other words, I think that with regard to producing "Fearless Fortissimo," you're right... you're "addressing" gender differences. But with regard to naming it "Piano Lessons For Boys," I think you're wrong... I think you're "promoting."

Just my two cents. Cheers.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
In other words, I think that with regard to producing "Fearless Fortissimo," you're right... you're "addressing" gender differences. But with regard to naming it "Piano Lessons For Boys," I think you're wrong... I think you're "promoting."

Actually, he may wind up "anti-promoting." He may lose more sales by segregating the market that way than he gains by including the specific "boy" language.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Actually, he may wind up "anti-promoting." He may lose more sales by segregating the market that way than he gains by including the specific "boy" language.

PD, I meant "promoting gender-specific behaviours," as tdow distinguished it from "addressing gender-specific behaviours."

But you're right, PD, and I had the same thought. That's guaranteed to cut out that portion of the market. If I'm making a pink easy-bake oven, I've got a pretty good idea that mostly girls are going to buy it, but I'm not going to call it an "Oven For Girls" and be SURE to exclude any potential boy buyers. In fact, I'll probably put a picture on the packaging of a boy and a girl playing with it together... not for societal gender issues, but for potential sales.

Ah, I see now what you meant. I was indeed focussed on the market angle.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Labels are bad. Gender-specific labels are even worse.

I do have some of those "for boys" books in my library. Most of them are pretty stereotypical.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Diane...
Just call them music collections "Pop for EVERYONE"!

Amen! Gender stereotypes are awful.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I attended a children's recital not too long ago where all the boys had at least one cowboy and indian piece. It was more of a pow wow than a recital.

Whatever we do with books, when the kids start talking to each other and peer pressure is applied, that is what is going to have the most effect.

I definitely prefer seeing books titled "Piano Lessons for Boys" than nothing as in many places the assumption is that all piano books are titled "Piano Lessons are for Sissies"

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Over the years at our music school we came to recognize a discrepancy in motivation between our male piano students and our female piano students. This discrepancy was resulting in male piano students having a substantially higher dropout rate than female piano students.

Could it be that, culturally, we are driving our boy students out of piano lessons because piano is not "cool"? Or that boys are encouraged to do more sports once they enter middle school?

A couple of years ago, one of the older teachers in my branch of MTA gave me a program of a public recital from 1989. Several of my classmates were in the program (a few were surprises), but one that stood out was the "cool guy" from school. No one expects him to play the piano. He never talked about it.

T
T
From a marketing perspective, the more specific your message, the more successful your advertising. The book was not written for a general audience, it was written for teachers who may be struggling to motivate boy piano students.

Successful marketing is based on identifying your audience and marketing directly to that audience, and therefore the book was titled “Piano Books For Boys”.

I think the Curves Fitness Franchise serves as a good analogy for this discussion…

Curves, the world’s most successful fitness franchise markets their product as “Curves Gym For Women”. They are not pretending to be a co-ed gym. They recognize that many women feel more comfortable working out among other women and that many women feel the need to have a workout experience designed specifically for women. I think this represents a successful company that has addressed gender-specific concerns just as the Fortissimo Series addresses gender-specific concerns around learning piano.

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission