Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1672704 - 05/06/11 06:30 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: pianojerome]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianojerome
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway

Based on my experiences, once they met all the basic requirements (nice flower, invite enough friends and family, open bar etc) they will go to a more fancy thing such as live music.

Why is an open bar a "basic requirement"?

How many is "enough" friends and family to be a "basic requirement"? 100? 500?

It's all about values. Values determine what is or isn't a basic requirement.

For me, an open bar and 400 guests are not basic requirements. In fact, they are even undesirable to me. I would not want to have either at my wedding.

However, for me, live music is a basic requirement. How can I possibly have a wedding without live music?

So, at my wedding, we are having live music, but not an open bar and not 400 guests.

Other people who have different values than I do will have different basic requirements.

You are apparently different from typical young people.

Yeah, I like classical music, too.

I wouldn't assume that only one side ever pays. And, I wouldn't assume that it's always the bride's side that pays the most. But this is getting off topic.

I agree, most typical young people do not have a clue about classical music. That is why DJ is good enough for them.
Life music has different nuance...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1672705 - 05/06/11 06:31 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: BruceD]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]Young people will dance to good song, they do not care whether it is sung by a live band or just a CD.

... but the people who are paying for the wedding may care!

if they have a lot of money, they care, otherwise, they are happy that the kids chose cheaper entertainment. If they have a lot of money, this will not be an issue anyway. Only when budget is limited, we have to choose.

#1672819 - 05/06/11 11:39 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Redhead1]
Lingyis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York, NY
well, my contribution was a string quartet at my wedding for the ceremonies. but it was outdoors and you couldn't really hear a thing, plus i thought they were kind of out-of-tune... so ironically, probably better off with some kind of sound setup.

for the dinner, we had a DJ. works better that way, i thought, since you have access to more variety of music.

#1672918 - 05/07/11 07:06 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: landorrano]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
What can you expect in America ? Canned spaghetti, cheese in aerosol cans, canned laughter ... and canned music at the reception.

laugh

My Dutch friends could not believe we put cheese (or a cheese like substance to be more accurate) in an aerosol can.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1672930 - 05/07/11 08:10 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Dave Horne]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
My Dutch friends could not believe we put cheese (or a cheese like substance to be more accurate) in an aerosol can.
Neither can I! Why??

#1672943 - 05/07/11 08:53 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: currawong]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Neither can I! Why??

Neither can I -- it's not just the Dutch. Spray cheese seems not to have reached the UK yet, thank Heavens. Canned music, however, is pretty entrenched.

#1672946 - 05/07/11 08:59 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Dave Horne]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
What can you expect in America ? Canned spaghetti, cheese in aerosol cans, canned laughter ... and canned music at the reception.

laugh

"Cheese like" ? It's not like any cheese that I would eat.

#1672948 - 05/07/11 09:06 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: currawong]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Neither can I! Why??

Why ? It's called progress.

For the hors d'oeuvres of your wedding reception, you spray it with an artful turn of the wrist onto some garlic-flavored crackers amd then you sprinkle onto it some bacon-flavored crunchy bits which stick, they don't fall off like they would if it were cheese instead of a cheese-like substance.

For PianoJerome's wedding, he can get it with gefülte-fish flavor. And the bacon-flavored bits, well, they're kosher.

Edited by landorrano (05/07/11 09:09 AM)

#1673243 - 05/07/11 08:16 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Redhead1]
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
Many musicians, I believe, are trading in their instruments for a pair of "turntables" in order to pay the bills, perhaps making it more difficult to find a good wedding band.

Most people want to hire a band that can perform everything from Barry Manilow to Lady Gaga. This requires a rather large ensemble to do it well -- usually anywhere from a minumum of 6 to over 10 musicians. If you hire a band for $5,000 and split it 10 ways, that's only $500 each. A good wedding DJ can easily pocket $1,000 or more for himself in one night while saving the bride and groom a huge chunk of change and providing them with an endless music selection.

That being said, I MUCH prefer a good live wedding band to a wedding DJ any day!

#1673250 - 05/07/11 08:30 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: landorrano]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: landorrano

laugh

"Cheese like" ? It's not like any cheese that I would eat.

Just like everything about America: totally dumbed down to its lowest common denominator.

#1673259 - 05/07/11 08:50 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Redhead1]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
For what it's worth.... I've never been to a wedding that didn't have live music. I can't imagine one without it.

#1673275 - 05/07/11 10:15 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: landorrano]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Neither can I! Why??

For PianoJerome's wedding, he can get it with gefülte-fish flavor. And the bacon-flavored bits, well, they're kosher.

Too bad, we've got meat on the menu, so no spray-on cheese food for us. (unless it's dairy-free, which wouldn't entirely surprise me.)

(On the plus side, meaty menu means no cheesy music from the band, either. wink )

#1674535 - 05/09/11 06:14 PM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Redhead1]
Brian Bennett Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

#1674900 - 05/10/11 08:28 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: Brian Bennett]
Redhead1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Brian Bennett

Funny -- thanks! smile

#1674903 - 05/10/11 08:30 AM Re: Do people not have live music at weddings anymore?? [Re: pianojerome]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

(On the plus side, meaty menu means no cheesy music from the band, either. wink )

Nice one! Lechaim!

Edited by landorrano (05/10/11 08:34 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, Allard, 19 invisible), 1135 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250091 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission