Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1675208 - 05/10/11 05:46 PM Rhodes Mark 7
jens4711 Offline

Loc: Danmark
I just had a look at this Rhodes Mark 7 E-piano at their website.

I won't be buying it in any near future, but it does seem nice.

Just out of curiosity I have a few questions regarding it, that I could not find any answer to at the website. I hope someone here can answer:

1) If needed, can it be played without electricity ?
2) Does it have internal speakers, and/or does it need external amplification and speakers ?
3) Is the keyboard piano-like or is it more synth-like ?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1675251 - 05/10/11 07:07 PM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)

Quote:
1) If needed, can it be played without electricity ?

Its a electric piano not a digital they require electricity but they do make a sound if the keys are pressed when turned off.

Quote:
2) Does it have internal speakers, and/or does it need external amplification and speakers ?

Yes and know you can get a speaker amp stand designed for them just like the old school Rhodes

Quote:
3) Is the keyboard piano-like or is it more synth-like ?

Its a electric piano, nothing like either of them. It feels like a real Rhodes.

[/quote]

Edited by Dr Popper (05/10/11 07:07 PM)

#1675431 - 05/11/11 04:18 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
jens, I've played various models of the New Rhodes and considering the cost and the fact that it's still a one trick pony ... and considering the fact that there's a 25% VAT in Denmark, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a stage piano with a Rhodes sample that you like or buy a module with a Rhodes sample? A stage piano would have just about everything you need in one package.

I personally cannot see that new business succeeding but that's just my take on this.

I do not have fond memories of the Rhodes. I do remember having to open it up during concerts and making adjustments. I also do not miss vinyl records or electric typewriters.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1675449 - 05/11/11 05:55 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: Dave Horne]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

I do not have fond memories of the Rhodes.

Heretic !

#1675483 - 05/11/11 07:51 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: Dave Horne]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I do not have fond memories of the Rhodes. I do remember having to open it up during concerts and making adjustments. I also do not miss vinyl records or electric typewriters.

I do have fond memories of my Wurlitzer (200A). And I didn't mind opening that up to replace tines, file the tips, and melt extra solder onto others - it just used to happen rather too frequently. I had always hankered after a Rhodes, but couldn't afford one. Funnily enough, when I first got to play one I was disappointed - sounded wooly and felt incredibly stodgy. Eventually, I did manage to find one cheap enough to buy; it was the suitcase model, and that was again a completely different animal with a very bell-like tone. I didn't keep it long - ridiculously heavy.

There is a lot of blinkered nostalgia surrounding these archetypal electric pianos, and yet there was something vital about playing them. Given that in 2011, even the best DPs struggle to give us an accurate representation of a Rhodes or Wurlitzer, I think there is a place for the new Mark 7. I gather they had a little trouble with quality control early on, but if they can sort that out it should be a worthy successor. Ironically, the biggest problem they may face is the ready supply of old Rhodes pianos on the secondhand market that are available at a fraction of the cost. However, the useful reduction in weight along with the small but well-heeled market of enthusiasts and top-echelon performers may be enough to keep the new Rhodes company in business. I wish them well.

#1675715 - 05/11/11 04:25 PM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
While you can't transport real grand piano on each concert, you can have authentic Rhodes, and this beast have soul. Though it's also beast to carry, even with other person.

#1675737 - 05/11/11 05:21 PM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: kiedysktos.]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kiedysktos.
While you can't transport real grand piano on each concert, you can have authentic Rhodes, and this beast have soul. Though it's also beast to carry, even with other person.

I thought the purpose of using samples was to avoid carrying all the authentic instruments .... and just how authentic can an electro-mechanical instrument be? wink

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1675994 - 05/12/11 03:21 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
jens4711 Offline

Loc: Danmark

Thanks for the answers and opinions. I can see, that it might be too much of a hassle to own one, but they do really look cool :-)

Maybe their new MIDI controller is more interesting: Rhodes RPC-1 MIDI controller

#1676762 - 05/13/11 05:45 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: Dave Horne]
kiedysktos. Offline

I thought the purpose of using samples was to avoid carrying all the authentic instruments .... and just how authentic can an electro-mechanical instrument be? wink

Rhodes are similar to electric guitar when you look at the way they produce sound - vibrating metal and electromagnetic pickups. So how authentic can electric guitar be? smile I'd rather want to listen to CD recorded with true guitar, rather than made with samples, even accurate.

But you are right, Clavia's emulation sounds damn good. Still, you have DP instead of true Rhodes; one may say it doesn't matter, others are fond of this retro shape, legs, strange feel. It's similar to 100% identical replica of old car and the authentic one. Maybe replica drives even better, sounds and looks same way... but some may say there is no soul. Soul in a car? Yes, some people know what I mean.

Though still I'm the one who can't afford and carry real one, considering the fact I use piano and organ sounds.

#1676773 - 05/13/11 06:40 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

About 10 years ago I bought Wizoo's Magnetica sampled CD which was full of Hammonds, Rhodes and Wurlitzer's. I believe I paid €60. Later I saw it offered for €20. What a bargain even at €60!

I grew up playing a B3. While on vacation in Germany last year I stumbled onto a little music store that sold the new Hammond\Suzuki B3's. If I had a tad more space and a tad more money I would have bought one. I really don't think I would notice the lack of the supposed soul in the newer models.

If I were a recording artist I would certain consider buying the New Rhodes, or as I call it, a much too expensive one trick pony. Let's say you buy one. Your next purchase would be a €400+ flight case, a specially made flight case.

I wish that company well but if their stock were sold on the stock exchange, I wouldn't buy it.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1677307 - 05/14/11 01:02 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
FrankDaddy Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I agree that I am not sure of how well Rhodes will do. I ahve a 1973 Fender Rhodes 88 Mk 1 Stage. I am now rebuilding the action and adding an active preamp from Vintage Vibe. This will cost me in total about $500 to rebuild it up to a "suitcase" stage. I will have active electronics and the suitaces vibrato. considering you are looking at 5K US for a new Rhodes and you can buy a suitcase 73 off of ebay for $1500-2500 in great shape. I may be wrong....

#1678211 - 05/15/11 02:29 PM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: Dave Horne]
kiedysktos. Offline

Your next purchase would be a €400+ flight case, a specially made flight case.

That's true smile

#1678459 - 05/15/11 11:04 PM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The problem with Rhodes is when you get one ...you need more ...then you end up like me ...I've got errrrrr ....9 of them.

#1678526 - 05/16/11 04:05 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: Dr Popper]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
The problem with Rhodes is when you get one ...you need more ...then you end up like me ...I've got errrrrr ....9 of them.

You have ___nine___ Rhodes? Are they all playable or are they used for parts?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1678696 - 05/16/11 11:14 AM Re: Rhodes Mark 7 [Re: jens4711]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL that's just the working, restored and playable ones I've got a few non runners as well .... then there are the wurli's .... when it comes to electric pianos and old analog synths I'm a bit of a greedy whore.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, Alex Hernandez, Adam Coleman, 36251, 48 invisible), 1623 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153580 Topics
2250844 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bsendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission