Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1672139 - 05/05/11 05:26 PM How do the Motif and the Tyros compare?
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1672245 - 05/05/11 08:51 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
No the difference is mainly in the programming.

Both machine use the same sound chipset , many of the same sounds, same operating system.

The Motif has better D/A converters, proper effects control and routing, can accept external instruments and be connected to a computer with the world best firewire interface for a keyboard.
The Motif has a full real time controllable sequencer (pattern and song mode) while the Tyros has its sequencer hidden under the "styles" feature which is unusable with a DAW or editor except the basic windows editor.
The Motif has a full real sample and can load outside sound sets. The Tyros has a "editor" (windows only) that also can load outside sounds but its not a sampler per se.

The Tyros has useful "fill sections" while the Motif has a real arpeggiator that is programmable.

The Tyros has "Styles" available for download (for additional cost) from a online store.

The Tyros comes only in 61 key unweighted while the motif comes in 61,76 and full 88 key weighted versions.

The Tyros is about twice the price of the Motif for the reason that its target market is people who used to play home organs and they will pay it. It's shockingly overpriced for what it is.

Both sound wonderful but the Motif can be connected to a proper PA without routing effects etc.

I feel the Motif is a real instrument that can be used for creation, live work and recording. The Tyros is more of a "One man band" type of thing for playing other peoples music.

I feel they targeted the Motif to the musician and the Tyros to the "player" who likes gadgets.

You might be right however the average age of Tyros users does seem to be over 70 ... they do get used a lot at "dances" in retirement homes.

#1672312 - 05/05/11 11:56 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1673001 - 05/07/11 11:19 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Dr Popper -

That's a great summary and comparison between the two instruments.

Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1673002 - 05/07/11 11:23 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Auver Offline

Loc: Norway
The Tyros seems like a lot of fun to own, paired with a proper DP with weighted keys, like this guy does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4J0fW7oRNA

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-811
Nord Piano 88

#1673020 - 05/07/11 11:55 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: Auver]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1673093 - 05/07/11 01:56 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Manolios Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: doremi

Anyone has any suggestions for the bottom board?

Well, the KURZWEIL SP4-7 seems to fit your needs.

EDIT: I forgot, the Kurzweil SP2 as well.

Kind regards,
Manolios

Edited by Manolios (05/07/11 01:59 PM)

#1673212 - 05/07/11 06:39 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1673363 - 05/08/11 04:43 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Tyros /PSR and NP-30 combo seems a good one that a few people use but the P95 or even a older P85 would work just as well if you wanted 88 keys even.

Remember the NP-30 has now been replaced by the new 76 key NP-31 (and the 61 key NP-11 which is 9 pounds) and I recently saw a guy running a PSR-910 and a Piaggero NP-V80 as a stage rig. It was just him and a singer/guitarist and that combo really seemed to provide a full band effect.

If I was going to buy a arranger keyboard it would be the new Korg Pa3X76...which is full of sounds from their new Kronos workstation.
76 keys, full 16 track sequencer, real effects routing,decent Acoustic and Electric pianos, a real chord progression sequencer/looper, full articulations, dual midi/mp3/.wav players and about $2000 less then a Tyros.

If your stuck on a arranger KB (and I do not recommend them as they are limited .... ) then have a close look at this one as the PSR-/710910 is about to be replaced and you would be buying yesterdays keyboard at today's prices.

With that all said ....my advice would be ....

Get a motif XF8 ...its what you really want even if you don't know it yet.

#1673413 - 05/08/11 07:55 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1673947 - 05/08/11 09:36 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If its a good piano plus knobs, wheels and sliders ... "fun" ... you know the answer already.

#1674044 - 05/08/11 11:45 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1674120 - 05/09/11 03:25 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BH is GHS without the G

New S700/900 this year ...

Learning curve on anything is steep ... you will find it just as hard on a S910 as a Motif or any other board. Once your familiar with how boards work it becomes easier.

#1674153 - 05/09/11 06:20 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1674655 - 05/09/11 09:45 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: doremi

Hmm…the Tyros line looks like an enhancement of my Clavinova, the Motif line looks quite different…

Clavinova CVP, Tyros, S900/700 and Motif XS/XF all have the same sound engine and many of the same sounds. They differ in I/O , GUI, ADAT's and various features (eg: the Tyros and S series doesn't have a CVP's pianos)

New S series and CVP Clavinovas are out this year based on the T4/Motif XF feature set.

They are all essentially the same underneath its only the software interface and feature set that's different.

#1675530 - 05/11/11 09:33 AM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
Do you consider a sofware arranger?

I was very sceptic about them, because OMB and Live-Styler, the most popular, don't perform very well, comparing to Tyros or Audya/Ketron. But vArranger2 looks different and very interesting. It's able to play T4 .psr styles, as well as Ketron .pat ones. The demos I listened are very promising. Unfortunatelly it's quite expensive, but nothing compare to the hw solution.

Edited by Qbert (05/11/11 09:34 AM)

#1675751 - 05/11/11 05:44 PM Re: How do the Motif and the Tyros compare? [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Akshay, beeboss, adanepst, ando, angelsong, 22 invisible), 1267 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249685 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission