Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1677120 - 05/13/11 05:35 PM question about solenoids and latency...
Mark A. Offline

I'd like to have a midi keyboard connected to solenoids that push on a regular piano keys.

I want to use this to play the piano in real time... not to play back midi files.

Wayne Stahnke once told me that this would have such a latency that the playing experience would be very poor.

Does anyone feel like a setup such as this would work and who i might contact to build this for me (for a novel invention-not a regular piano).

Thanx,
Mark

#1679165 - 05/17/11 06:11 AM Re: question about solenoids and latency... [Re: Mark A.]
athomik Offline

Loc: England
Latency would definitely be a problem. On Disklavier systems, incoming MIDI data for the XG backing parts is delayed by a buffer for up to 500ms to allow the solenoids and the action on the acoustic piano part to catch up. Unless you can insert a 500ms buffer between your ears and your fingers, I suspect it would be virtually impossible to play such a system as you describe.

#1682167 - 05/21/11 02:49 PM Re: question about solenoids and latency... [Re: Mark A.]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
The pneumatic action of the 1914 pipe organ in Sibiu, Romania has a delay of ~400ms, and different to different divisions in different parts of the church hall. It requires the special experience of the local organist to disconnect the ears from the proper fingering and build the difference in delays in finger control.

#2102358 - 06/14/13 09:09 AM Re: question about solenoids and latency... [Re: Mark A.]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't think the solenoids themselves suffer delay. But the software probably does.

So it depends on HOW you connect the keyboard. Is midi connection a requirement?

Midi itself already introduces some delay which is well noticeable by experienced musicians according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi).

Quote:

MIDI's serial transmission leads to timing problems. Experienced musicians can detect time differences of as small as 1/3 of a millisecond (ms)[citation needed] (which is how long it takes sound to travel 4 inches), and a three-byte MIDI message requires nearly 1ms for transmission.[57] Because MIDI is serial, it can only send one event at a time. If an event is sent on two channels at once, the event on the higher-numbered channel cannot transmit until the first one is finished, and so is delayed by 1ms. If an event is sent on all channels at the same time, the highest-numbered channel's transmission will be delayed by as much as 16ms.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (36251, accordeur, anrpiano, alfredo capurso, 54 invisible), 1756 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153707 Topics
2253290 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
5 minutes 20 seconds ago
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
11 minutes 6 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
11 minutes 13 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
12 minutes 30 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
29 minutes 29 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission