2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
RStier

To answer your question: the Steinways were Hamburgs. They had three B's and I pkayed them all. Very consistent. I played these in comparison with Fazioli 228 (slighty unfair). They had three of those as well. I also played the smaller and larger Faziolis but not the smaller Steinways. There was no D.

I also tried again the Yamaha S6. For me, the Grotrian 192 beats this instrument in volume, tone and playability, Amazing grand for its size.

They also have a Steingraeber 205, but the have plonked it in the entrance near their ticjet sales area, so it is not easy to play it without causing disturbance. I am very familiar with them. I also happen to believe that Steingreaber is coming up in the world in Europe. You see more of them around and dealers are saying very positive things about them.

I am seeking out a concert Grotrian (which I think is called the Royale) because I "need" to play one now. If it builds on the excellent 192, then we shall see...

(Oddly enough, in my book the bigger pianos can go either way. I prefer Steinway D to B, but I prefer the Steingreaber 205 to its bigger brother, except in Phoenix form).

As a matter of interest, this dealer seems to be doing well with Fazioli. For example I am aware of a 9ft grand in a local conservatory - "gasp" they have not bought a Steinway D "gasp again". (The Swiss are conservative usually and the professionals are quite Steinway loyal). And they are very pleased with it. I have played two 228's in private houses as well.
They are cheaper here than in the UK.

Anyway RStier, give that grotrian a chance. My first experience with them was not that positive. But then Jecklins had this really lovely 192 that demonstrated what a well prepped one can do. So I have revised my opinion and am keen to try a big one again. (I don't think I tried a Royale last time).

A

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FWIW when I was piano shopping in NYC, the only dealer who bad-mouthed another brand was the local Grotrian dealer. He had bad things to say about Bosendorfer, Fazzioli, August Forster, and probably others that I don't remember.

It wouldn't have stopped me from buying from him, but I found it to be a bit of a turnoff.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Fine

Just because some dealers behave disreputably though, should have no bearing on our assessment of the pianos of particular manufacturers, as long as we can place our business through some other dealer.

Kind regards

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Grotrians are one of the nicest pianos I've ever played. Don't buy this sales claptrap for a second.
Regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jon,

I wonder who that was? laugh

David

OP Offline
re: Who are these owners of Blüsthner and Bechstein stores?
There can't be that many of them in Southern California, right?

--------------------
Axtremus, Bl&uumlthner store is Kasimoff in Los Angeles. Bechstein in southern California is Piano Exchange in San Diego.

Norbert, I love your approach! thumb

AJB, thanks for the update on your comparisons. It will be intersting to see what you think of the Grotrian Royale.

Hamburg Steinway C;
C. Bechstein 7'4"

"Love is a far better master than duty." --Albert Einstein

♫Rick Stier
PIANOLatte®
www.pianolatte.com
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RStier:
[QB] ..."Stay away from Grotrian, it's a second rate piano..."

Grotrian, a SECOND RATE PIANO?????????????????????

Too bad there's no sound with PW posts...

Anyone reading this would hear a lot of hysterical laughter - I am sitting here HOWLING. laugh

I played Grotrians at three piano dealers. Grotrians, in my opinion, are among The Best Of The Best. So of that dealer's comment, all I can say is...

THAT IS TOOOOOO FUNNY. Absolutely HILARIOUS.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Sounds like a second-rate dealer to me.

G
G
Man I want this guy's phone number so I can talk to him.

Grotrian 6'3
Schimmel 51"
Yamaha U3
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
I bet many dealers hate this forum.

Whatever they say can be repeated to the whole world.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Info from RStier:

Bl&uumlthner store is Kasimoff in Los Angeles. Bechstein in southern California is Piano Exchange in San Diego.
GrotrianSchimmelYamaha wrote:

Man I want this guy's phone number so I can talk to him.
Here:
  • Bluthner Pianos-Kasimoff Bluthner Piano Co - 337 N Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004 - (323) 466-7707
  • Piano Exchange - 3.5 miles N - 1233 Camino Del Rio S, San Diego, 92108 - (619) 298-5313

First hits on Google.

Post transcripts of your phone conversations. May be there is another side of the story that we haven't heard or considered, so you may be doing a public service if you do call and post transcripts.

Good luck.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It took some chasing up to discover the pedigree of my Grotrian Steinweg piano ... wouldn’t want to swap it for the same in gold. (from "Pianos and their Makers" by Alfred Dolge)

The German immigrant Heinrich Engelhardt Steinweg arrived in New York with sons Charles and Henry in 1851 ... his eldest son Theodore remaining in Germany to manage the Steinweg piano manufacturing business.

Steinweg changed his name to Henry E. Steinway to pioneer a “grand piano” empire under the name of Steinway and Sons.

After winning a prize medal in Washington for his square piano in 1854 and adding another triumph at the NY great fair of the American Institute in 1855 for his overstrung square piano with full iron frame Steinway erected a large piano factory on Fifty-third Street and Fourth Avenue New York in 1859 ... to be joined in 1865 by his son Theodore ... who sold his German piano manufacturing business to three of his working-men, Grotrian, Helfferich and Schultz. “This firm ranks today among the foremost of Germany under the able management of Wilhelm Grotrian and his sons.”

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Jon,

I wonder who that was? laugh

David
Ha - there's something very likeable about him, though, in an old curmudgeonly sorta way.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission