2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 22nd quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you! smile

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital #22 Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #22 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital #22 Zip 1
Recital #22 Zip 2
Recital #22 Zip 3
Recital #22 Zip 4
Recital #22 Zip 5
Recital #22 Zip 6
Recital #22 Zip 7

Let me express my greatest thanks to five very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; Bob Muir for working out the technical details of pulling together the recital and doing so tirelessly for the first six, count 'em, six, recitals; LaValse for hosting the zip files and recital software on his server; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:knotty
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg17zirGbHw
Home page link:http://dcjazzpiano.com
Title of piece:Chitlins Con Carne
Composer:Kenny Burrel
Duration:07:45
Source of music:Improvised.
Instrument used:Yamaha acoustic.
Recording method:Zoom H4 + 2 SM57. Mixed in Logic. TIny bit of GoldVerb on Piano
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:For lunch, I had Chitlins con carne. No really, I don't even know what Chitlins look like. And please, I don't want to know

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Strings&wood
Experience:3 yrs. this time around.
Title of piece:Träumerei
Composer:Schumann
Duration:03:00
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Schimmel K213 NWS
Recording method:Zoom H2. Lid fully up mic- 10 ft away and 6 ft up.
Additional info:Despite being cloaked in mediocrity, I hope you can catch a glimpse of the beauty within. That is not to say that I am disappointed with this performance, but to say this piece can be so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know "Träumerei" and I think it will be one I will play for as long as I can play.

Robert Schumann:

Robert Schumann first met Clara Wieck in the winter of 1832, when he was 22 and she 13 years of age. By late 1835 the budding romance with Clara was soon brought to an end when her father learned of their trysts during the Christmas holidays; he summarily forbade them further meetings and ordered all correspondence between them burnt.

Despite the opposition of Clara's father, she and Robert continued a clandestine relationship which matured into a full-blown romance. In 1837, he asked her father's consent to their marriage, but was refused. Wieck ridiculed his daughter's wish to "throw herself away on a penniless composer.”

After a long and acrimonious legal battle with her father, Schumann married Clara Wieck on 12 September 1840. They finally resolved the battle by waiting until she was of legal age and no longer subject to her father's consent for marriage.

Prior to the legal case and subsequent marriage, the lovers exchanged love letters and rendezvoused in secret. Robert would often wait in a cafe for hours in a nearby city just to see Clara for a few minutes after one of her concerts.
Schumann’s Kinderszenen, Op 15 was completed 1838 and "Träumerei" (dreaming) was No.7 of the set. Did Robert compose Op 15 No. 7 while dreaming of Clara? I think there can be little doubt.

History tells us Robert Schumann’s life was filled with tragedy, and this truly was the case. When I play this piece I like to think of his love affair with Clara and ponder- perhaps there were some grand moments as well.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:6
Title of piece:I Remember Well (Cover)
Composer:Fernando Ortega
Duration:04:36
Source of music:Played by ear (Ker-Plunk style!)
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Additional info:This is an incredibly beautiful piece I heard on the radio one evening. Although I had already started working on another piece for the recital, I just couldn't stop trying to learn this piece. Of course, once again there was no sheet music available for it so I had to wing it.

I was totally drawn in by the rolling chord progressions and can honestly say this piece gave more goosebumps and shivers than anything else I've played in a long time.

If interested, I can transpose the sheet music for this piece at a later date if you want it. (3 easy payments of .99 cents!)

I hope you like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Todd Vance
Experience:2.5 years lessons as child, 20 year hiatus, then 27 months self teaching.
Title of piece:Waltz Op. 69 #2
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:55
Source of music:Complete Preludes, Nocturnes & Waltzes: 26 Preludes, 21 Nocturnes, 19 Waltzes for Piano (Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics)
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius Digital Piano, DP-160
Recording method:Zoom H1 + Audacity
Additional info:A melancholy waltz (played at 4/5 specified tempo) whose opening tune stuck in my head after one trial playing a year ago, and so I just had to work it up.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:almost 2 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/yXu5YczuF0k
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor (no. 19)
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:32
Instrument used:Kawai K5 upright
Recording method:Zoom H1, normalized with audacity
Additional info:A nice waltz from Chopin. I'm glad there are a few less technically challenging pieces from Chopin, as most of his works are so far out of my reach.

While less technically challenging, it still took me many recording attempts to get this take, as I usually had a meltdown somewhere. It's much easier to play on my digital, so switching to my upright gave me some problems, especially with the trills.

I hope to keep this one in my rep. - thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years, mostly on now
Box.net link:Angel Eyes and Original
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/inlandings
Title of piece:Angel Eyes and Original
Composer:Matt Dennis then me
Duration:07:53
Source of music:Improvised score and extemporaneous improvisation
Additional info:I was motivated to put together a few pieces that have a common feeling to them, plus one in contrast to lighten things up a bit. I hope you find something you enjoy in the mix.

Listening to Ella Fitzgerald with her absolutely angelic voice singing Angel Eyes was enough for me to want to experiment with playing this fine standard.

The second piece in the medley is Springtime Bounce. A lighter, not so serious sounding tune in contrast to its companions - based on the fact Springtime is making its way.

A Brief Word was spawned by a conversation I'd had earlier in the day with someone who absolutely had to have the last word. I finished it with music.

San Francisco - A brief abstraction on my friend Charlotte's composition which was motivated by her visit to SF

For lunch I had spaghetti and a salad. The sauce was quite tasty!

Last edited by BB Player; 05/15/11 11:50 AM. Reason: Added box.net direct link
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:My fourth year back after a 30 year hiatus
Home page link:http://www.samfsmith.com
Title of piece:Toccata
Composer:Khachaturian
Duration:05:51
Instrument used:Yamaha UX1
Recording method:USB microphone and Audacity
Additional info:An exciting and energetic piece!

K wrote this in 1932, supposedly in one night so it could be performed the next day. He's lucky I was not that first performer - it's taken me much longer than one day to work it up. It's in Eb minor - that's a six flat key signature. It sounds difficult, but it is not as difficult as it sounds or looks on the page.

I like to think of a massive machine while playing this, sort of a mesh of gears grinding away. There are three sections. The first has crashing chords, fast note patterns, and syncopated rhythms. In the second section the machine goes into doubletime which begins with the repeated Bb and contains flurries of notes that build to cascading runs. But it is in the third section that the machine surprises us by revealing that it has a soul, a lush romantic section that still manages to be machine-like with it's complicated poly-rhythms. After that all three sections are recapitulated before the big ending.

Hope you like it! Hopefully, between my many mistakes, some of the energy and excitement comes through.

-Sam

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:griffin2417 (Griffin)
Experience:Nine (9) months, after a 35-year hiatus from piano. I had 12 years of training prior to my hiatus
Title of piece:Rhapsody
Composer:Margaret Wigham
Duration:04:32
Instrument used:I will provide this information later, if possible. I performed it on an acoustic grand piano at a nearby theater.
Recording method:I do not have this information because the recording was handled by a student and theater technician who asked me to let them record on their theater's equipment as a test. I will try to provide this information later, if possible.
Additional info:Bringing Rhapsody back to life has been a goal and passion of mine since I returned to the piano last year. It was the last recital piece I performed when I graduated from high school. I am dedicating this performance to the memory of my piano teacher, Prentice Harris, who taught me not only Rhapsody, but the joys of making music. Margaret Wigham was a composer from Minneapolis who published Rhapsody in 1959. If I've done a halfway decent performance here, I think her composition should speak for itself. I hope you enjoy it, as much as I've enjoyed re-learning and performing it!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KeemaNan
Experience:7-8 years ? losing track
Title of piece:Romance sans Paroles
Composer:Milhaud, Darius
Duration:01:13
Source of music:Sheet music (from "Music Francaise du XXeme Siecle pour Piano", Editions Salabert)
Instrument used:Kawai CA63
Recording method:Onboard recorder
Additional info:This is no 1. from Milhaud's "Quatre Romances sans Paroles" (Four Songs without Words) composed in 1933.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrapperJohn (FKA John Frank)
Experience:5+
Title of piece:Girl From Barcelona
Composer:Kostia
Duration:05:50
Source of music:Narada New Age Easy Piano Sampler (Pub. by Hal Leonard)
Instrument used:Yamaha CVP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:Kostia (Konstantin Efimov) is a Russian born New Age pianist/composer who has recorded/arranged for the renowned Narada label. "Girl From Barcelona" is probably his best known and most popular work, and for good reason!

As I've said elsewhere, this Recital submission is a truely international collaboration: A Spanish-themed piece by a Russian born composer played by a German-American living in PA Dutch Country on a Japanese DP.

But my version of "Girl" bears only a faint resemblance to Kostia's original masterpiece, having been simplified (thankfully for my purposes) by the editors of the "Sampler". However, I have taken the liberty to complicate the simplification a little with certain enhancements, especially in the LH accompaniment (simulating a throbbing heartbeat), changing the location of the segno sign after the D.S., and by adding a few extra notes & chords in the ending section.

So then here it is, hopefully just as mysterious and as senuous as the Girl From Barcelona herself (or so I would like to imagine), a brief sketch hinting at the beauty and passion of Kostia's much more complex and brilliant conception.

Hope you enjoy!

TrapperJohn

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:cgyan (Iain)
Experience:Just over 1 year
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYXNirtgnQ
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/cgyan1
Title of piece:Theme of Tears
Composer:Shinji Kakijima
Duration:02:53
Instrument used:Yamaha YDP141
Recording method:Recorded via line-in to iMac using Garageband software
Additional info:Ok, handkerchiefs at the ready, it's time for a weepie! cry
Theme of Tears is a piece I came across several months ago on YouTube, got the sheet music and then kind of forgot about until recently when I was looking for something to play that was different to other things I've done recently. It was written by Shinji Kakijima (who largely remains a mystery to me as any info on the net about him tends to be in Japanese) and apparently features in an anime tv series at the point when a major character passes away. The original features heavy reverb and echo throughout which helps create an emotional and sentimental mood that is kind of overpowering at times and so I used little snippets of reversed piano at key points instead to hopefully enhance the melancholic feel without being overpowering.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AlleyKatt - Cathy
Experience:I've been playing on and off since childhood but recently started lessons again.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4FAymvftc
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299
Title of piece:Causeway Coastline
Composer:Michele Mclaughlin
Duration:04:54
Source of music:The sheet music can be found at Michele Mclaughlin's website http://www.michelemclaughlin.com/
Instrument used:Aeolian Baby Grand
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:I first heard and fell in love with Michele Mclaughlin's piano music on David Nevue's Whisperings:Solo Piano Radio. I found her music to be soothing as well as hauntingly beautiful.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Edtek (Ed Jensen)
Experience:year and a half? since 30 yr break from 1 yr of lessons
Title of piece:Isn't It Romantic
Composer:Rodgers and Hart
Duration:01:50
Source of music:Easy Piano sheet music
Instrument used:1953 Baldwin Hamilton
Recording method:Tascam DR07, SM57 mike on stand behind my head
Additional info:Hard to get a good sound. The piano sounds great when I play, not so great on the recording.

The piece was tricky to pedal properly and control dynamics. I tried several takes and went with the least bad but the pedaling and dynamics need much improvement.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:I have been playing since I was 5 or 6 years old, but I really started learning about 2 years ago when I began taking lessons.
Title of piece:Sonata No. 14, "Moonlight", 1st mvt.
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:07:13
Source of music:sheet music, free at IMSLP
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08; converted to MP3 using Audacity
Additional info:My first Beethoven! smile Although I am excited about that, I have to apologize, because I'm afraid this might be the most-played piece in the history of the ABF recital. But maybe there's a reason for that: there are so many possibilities to explore with it. For me, it has been a great piece to help me work on expression, voicing, and phrasing. My teacher tells me that I hold back too much when I am playing. So he gave me this challenge: "If you wonder whether you should play it louder in a section - YES, play it louder! If you think maybe you should play it faster in a certain spot - YES, play it faster!" So I'm trying to be somewhat more dramatic here than I might otherwise be comfortable with. I am also trying to understand what phrasing means. I've tried to think about it as if reading a story, with pauses and changes in volume and speed for emphasis, and bringing out differences between characters' voices. I hope you hear something in it that you can enjoy!

It feels like it has been raining for weeks here. It was pouring outside when I recorded this. Can you hear it in the background?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mohan Karthik
Experience:1 year now after a long break.
Home page link:http://www.mohankarthik.com
Title of piece:My Immortal
Composer:Evanescence
Duration:04:45
Source of music:http://www.inspiringpiano.com/sheetmusic.html
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-330 + Pianoteq
Additional info:This is one of the MOST moving pieces and Amy Lee sings it soo amazingly well. I've given it my best try, but after hearing Davis play it sooo many times (It pretty much runs on repeat mode on my computer), I know I've a long way to go to perfect it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:17 months (since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Dolce Droga
Composer:Einaudi, Ludovico
Duration:03:16
Instrument used:Digital Piano Yamaha P85
Recording method:DP to computer with Audicity. WAV to MP3 with Goldwave.
Additional info:It was my intention to send another piece that I'm working since Christmas, but unfortunately it's not ready yet... Maybe it will be ready in time to the next recital... Anyway, I had to choose another piece and I choose this one for different reasons:
First, because I want to participate!
Second, because my 10yo daugther loves it smile
Third, because I play it from memory and the chances of making fewer recordings were bigger (it's one that I use to play for "warming up" my mind and body before getting into other pieces);
And finally, according to ABFIndex (thanks Sam!) I could see that it's the first time someone sends it to ABF Recital.
I hope you enjoy it!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:40+ years. A few years of lessons 15 years ago
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0SmdZEGJk0
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:A Little Manic
Composer:original
Duration:06:00
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Pramberger
Recording method:Metro/Mac
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:The theme for this developed over a few months. It's been a ton of fun to play but it is the very rare day I can play those left hand triplets close to the way they need to be played. The idea of the piece is, as named, being a bit manic. My wife brought up an interesting point when she heard me working on it (endlessly) when she commented that some of my "manic" with the piano is my jumping around from classical, to my songs, to blues and then more jazzy compositions. None of which I master or probably ever will. I dedicated the piece to my 19 year old son who is taking the art of "manic" to new levels.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:oudeis
Experience:2 years, 5 months
Title of piece:The Unknown Soldier (opus 47, nr 10)
Composer:Stephen Heller
Duration:02:06
Source of music:sheet music (Schirmer)
Instrument used:Kawai K2 ATX
Recording method:Zoom Q3, mp3, 192kb/s, auto gain
Additional info:Just realized after take 35: it won't get any better...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:6.5 Years.
Title of piece:Windows
Composer:Chick Corea
Duration:06:23
Source of music:This is a improvisation over this Chick Corea classic jazz waltz. Source of leadsheet is RealBook. This was originally recorded with an Electric Piano so I'm duplicating that here.
Instrument used:Roland FP7F Vintage EP. The backing track is Iphone iRealB app playing the tune with bass and drums at 160bpm.
Recording method:I placed the Zoom H4 in Mic mode next to the Monitors. This was to make the backing track and keyboard sound like they belong together and sound like a live performance.
Additional info:I've never played this live with a band. I've been trying to get people to play this but because of the tune difficulty I've had no takers yet. Soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission