Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1677787 - 05/14/11 09:43 PM Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital #22!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 22 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #22 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1677796 - 05/14/11 09:53 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
woohoo!

#1677811 - 05/14/11 10:15 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
#3. SH- I think you had wayyy too much fun with this one. What a great work!! I would almost take you up on your sheetmusic offer but i don't think I can afford it.

#2. I love Traumerei... so I'm a tough critic on this one. You kept me listening. I have found it to be a piece that you can just keep coming back to and playing with new ideas. For a relatively simple piece it's damned complicated.

#1. Knotty... That is just TOO GOOD!! Blues in C... my favorite. I assume that's your band backing you up? (Chitlins are pig intestines..... but that is neither here nor there...)

#1677837 - 05/14/11 10:44 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
#16 Carlos - Great job. I really have to put some effort in getting more pieces under my belt (not to mention keeping them there!)

#40 Monica K. - I watched on YouTube a just after you posted it. That beginning sure is rough with those smaller hands, huh? I think I'd settle for Dolce Droga before Divenire but also like something else before either of those two.

#17 Peyton - HA! Despite not paying attention to the recitals lately I KNEW that was the sound of your piano without even having to look back at the web player to check. I miss the singing sometimes though.

#1677862 - 05/14/11 11:02 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
Might as well comment a bit as I'm listening...

01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne
Jazzy beginning. Good evening listening on this Saturday.

02. Strings&wood - Träumerei
Beautiful. I really enjoyed it.

03. Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well (Cover)
Interesting melody. Nice piece. Good expression.

04. Todd Vance - Waltz Op. 69 #2
You brought this out well. It's a great Chopin piece.

05. BenPiano - Waltz in A Minor (no. 19)
This was my first Chopin and I've liked it for a long time. You did quite well.

06. Inlanding - Glen - Angel Eyes and Original
Another jazzy entry. Nice to listen to, both pieces.

#1677901 - 05/14/11 11:33 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MegumiNoda Offline

52. Lain - Sonatine - I. Modere First of all, welcome to the ABF Recital! I’ve really enjoyed your performance. I love the way the music just quietly wafted in. I like how you’ve brought out the main melody lines all the while keeping the alto accompaniment softly and steadily moving forward (how do you keep your fingers from getting all tangled up!? :)). I also like the tempo you’ve taken -- leisurely at first, building up a sense of urgency toward the climax of the piece, and then gracefully releasing the tension -- it all feels very natural. I’ve started to work on this piece recently; I’m having fun working through the challenges so far. Have you worked on the other two movements as well? If so, I'd love to hear them in the future!

#1677914 - 05/15/11 12:19 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
34. Yamaha G-3 & P-80, Mike White - Cinq Preludes Opus 16 No. 4

Thank you for bringing this to the recital! I love Scriabin's early works, and I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I saw your entry on the list and listened to some other recordings, and it immediately was sent to the top of my "must learn" list.

I hear you about memorizing. Clocking in at only 12 measures, one would think this is easy to memorize, but it's dense. I can't believe you sight read this though - at least for me, memorizing stuff like this is easier than sight reading. 6 flats?, my head would explode trying to sight read this! laugh

I love the big chords in this, and could imagine it as an introduction (prelude) to an Einaudi style work using those chords. Just a brilliant piece.

Well done with this, thanks for sharing with us!

#1677928 - 05/15/11 01:00 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

#36 - Laura: Tasty, loved it.
#48 - EJR: one of my favorites, you nailed it baby
#34 - Mike White: Very pleasant. Scriabin. I just couldn't bring myself to include both in the same sentence wink j/k ... I like Scriabin but I'd use a different term to describe.
#28 - Wayne: very enjoyable music. keep killing it. and sharing.
#39 - Roger: that was terrific, I really enjoyed it.
#40 - Monica: lively and moving, a real treat. Great job.

#1677932 - 05/15/11 01:07 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

#52 Lain - get out of here. that's ridiculous. go find a paying venue for goodness sake.

simply outstanding. what a delight...!

**Bravo**

#1677943 - 05/15/11 01:45 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
#1 knotty - Chitlis Con Carne knotty, I'm adding you to the people from whom I'd buy an album. What a great start to the recital!

#3 Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well Wow, that was exquisite! You just keep getting more polished and assured. I'd sure go to a concert if you had one smile

#8 griffin2417 - Rhapsody Lovely piece - I can see why you went back to it. Beautiful performance.

#11 cgyan (Iain) - Theme of Tears Absolutely beautiful, and so beatifully played.

#15 Mohan Karthik - My Immortal Another gorgeous piece beautifully played.

#43 Wisebuff - Le Sommeil de l'Enfant What a sweet and lovely piece, and one which obviously speaks to you. Wonderful.

#47 dannylux/Mel - Gavota Wonderful! You play so musically that it really makes this piece charming.

#50 ddh - daniel - Berceuse Very quiet and calming piece. The perfect ending to an evening of listening.

I think based on what I've heard so far this recital has the prettiest pieces ever. Since I've been sick since early this morning, they've been perfect.

So now I'm back to bed. I've been up 6 hours today, in short pieces smile

Cathy

#1677946 - 05/15/11 01:54 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cathy, hope you get feeling better soon. I really enjoyed your piece!

#1677971 - 05/15/11 03:46 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My comment today is for 40's and up. I started to comment from the end.

40. Monica K. - Divenire
You play Ludovico Einaudi so well. I like your phrazing, I loved the way you crescendo and decrescendo amassing the volume with the repeated notes, it sounded like ocean. Pretty cool stuff. You looked like having lot's of fun.

41. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gavotte
Cheryl, I am glad that your hands are getting better / well enough to play. I was looking forward to some Ding Dong's to accompany your piano. It may have been appropriate to have church bells with this piece - just kidding:)

42. bluekeys - Maple Leaf Rag
wow, it's wonderful. You said you made mistakes but I did not catch any. It's a delightful piece.

43. Wisebuff - Le Sommeil de l'Enfant (Berceuse)
I never knew this composer. I really like it. you are so smart to cut the piece. I should have done that too, then I may have made it in the recital.

44. achat - Love Theme
You made incredible progress within 8.5 months. I saw lots of stuff in your youtube channel too. Love theme sounded great. It's sweet, tender and dramatic.

45. grotrianer - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
I think you have done a grest job. Your teacher will be surprised to see you got it so far by yourself.

46. Ode2Joy - Tango
Wow, you play it very well. Sensitive yet bold. And yes, you possess incredible sound... Is it you or the piano - Steinway Hamburg B (sorry, could not help it). Seriously, you sound great.

47. dannylux / Mel - Gavota
You are right I have never heard such wonderful gavotte like this. I did not know Manual Maria Ponce (female?). I can tell you had fun playing this. Expertly done. I could tell you are doing piano for a long time:)

48. EJR / Elwyn - Hurt
It is a cool song. I did not know anything about the group. I checked it out on the Web. I like it. It's amazing you got a piano score. You play it very beautiful.

49. Fillanzea - Aria (BWV Anh. 131)
Very pretty. Good balance. It sounds very musical.

50. ddh - Daniel - Berceuse (Lullaby)
It was a treat. It's soooo beautiful. It's amazing that talent like Mathieu can be forgotten. You played it very well, stirring sound hauntingly beautiful. Is it the music or your interpretation? This aint a lullaby for a baby. I think it's a lullaby for a lover.

51. Piano Again - Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II, Prelude and Fugue No. 15 in G major
Blavo and fantasco! I wish I could play Back as well as you did. You sound very seasoned. Expertly done. It's almost like listening to multiple pianos. BTW I have been commenting from the end today and started thinking that this is a very strange adult beginners group. How come every single one of you is so good and experienced...

52. Lain - Sonatine - I. Modere
I like your tempo. I heard this piece played at various speed. Some play very fast and some play very slow. I think your speed is just perfect, clarity with excitement and mistery.

53. MegumiNoda - Visions Fugitives #2
As usual, you are so incredible. This piece is very different from the Brahms you played last time. When I heard your Brahms, I thought it was a perfect piece for you, so sensitive, romantic,delicate and deep... Now I don't know. You seem to be very natual with Prokofiev. Great performance.

54. jotur/Cathy Turner - Neil Gow's Lament for His Second Wife
I congratulate you for getting it on time... I screwed up. Anyway, it's a lovely tune. I enjoyed very much. BTW I am going to Scotland for in June:) After hearing the music, I am now soooo looking forward to it.

55. Hawgdriver (Leon) - March in G minor, op. 76/2
I listened to it twice. I did not know this piece. It's so dramatic. I like it. You have done great job with dynamics. I still cannot believe you had piano for only 1.5 years. I look forward to more performance of yours.

56. anthonyb - Berlin Song
Einaudi piece.. Very nicely done. Makes me want to buy it. I know i keep sayin but I love this piece.

57. cscl - Invention No. 1
Hey, good job. At least you made it. I was trying to record at the last minute and could not make it in. I think you have a very good control over your left hand. I like the way both hands communicates.. actually your kids voice inhanced the Baroque atmosphere somehow.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1677977 - 05/15/11 04:20 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria

03. Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well (Cover)

This was extremely well played! I have never heard this piece before but it's BEAUTIFUL! I felt so many emotions behind it! Everything from the quality of the recording to the performance is excellent!

04. Todd Vance - Waltz Op. 69 #2
This needs some more work, maybe a bit. You should learn to play it without the score, it will flow more freely once you memorize it. I'm no expert. Overall it sounded great to me, but I'm not too demanding at this point. If you played it in person for me I'd probably have tears in my eyes by the end, I just love Chopin's music smile

It seems like you're holding back on playing this for some reason. In my humble opinion it should sound more freely. Some parts you're slowing down too much for my taste. There seemed to be something slightly off with some of your ornamentations/trills (wrong note?), though I might be wrong and I might have learned those wrong myself and yours might be correct. Also there is a melody in the left hand which you could try to bring out more.

Edited by Teodor (05/15/11 04:48 AM)

Recitals:

#1677986 - 05/15/11 05:17 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
PhilzPiano Offline

Loc: UK
Congratulations to everyone who entered. I thought the standard of playing in this recital was even higher than usual. Unfortunately I was too busy to enter this time, but hope to join you all again in the next recital. Once again, well done everyone!

#1677990 - 05/15/11 05:42 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne It sounded like the guitarist and you were exchanging some pretty good licks there. It'd been a great deal of time since hearing this tune. Very professional sounding, very relaxed playing - excellent. I'd listen to you guys play any day!

02. Strings&wood - Träumerei Schumann is one of my favorites. This piece continues to elude my grasp. Dynamics are always the most difficult to control inside of the detailed, subtle, interchanges. You picked up quite well the subtle details contained in its melody. Very pretty, well done, Carl!

03. Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well (Cover) This piece is the most polished of all the others I've heard you play. Thanks for sharing your most excellent selection - very well-played, MSH!

04. Todd Vance - Waltz Op. 69 #2 This piece is on my regular sight-reading list and after hearing you play it - it will remain there for some time. It is such a beautiful melody. You played it very sensitively, Todd.

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1677991 - 05/15/11 05:46 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
01 Knotty – Chitlins Con Carne - Well that is certainly a snazzy piece with which to kick off the recital. I’m always interested in seeing what others come up with in improvisational mode – you’ve got a very distinct “flavour” going here – I think you put some spice in the con carne! Really nice work.

02 Strings&Wood Traumerei Thanks for the background info , I always find that interesting to read. I thought I didn’t know this piece, but when I heard the first notes, I recognized it! I just didn’t know the name. I don’t think I’m in a position to give technical feedback, but I certainly did enjoy and appreciate the beauty in your piece!

03 Mr. Super-Hunky - I remember well. The long awaited performance did not disappoint. There is a delicacy that is soothing, without making it a “light” sounding piece. Most enjoyable. (but you still owe me the tear jerker smile

04 Todd Vance – Waltz 69 N.2 Chopin As one who aspires to play Chopin, I am delighted with your performance. I’m also very impressed – that’s a LONG piece. Well done!

05 Ben Piano – Waltz A minor N 19 Chopin Another Chopin waltz! What a delicious way to start my day! Glad you persisted in your recording – we can all relate to the red-dot meltdown syndrome! Bravo!

06 Inlanding– Angel Eyes and Original Great medley Glen – I love the smoky jazz beginning , and the Spring Bounce really does have a happy bounce to it – The Brief word did make me think of a flow of conversation - and the last part was dreamy poetry. As always, I love listening to your work! .

07 Sam S Toccata Khachaturian Sam – wow that starts off in intense mode right from the first notes! Your analogy of a machine is a good one. May I ask how long you played piano before your hiatus? I’m quite amazed at your dexterity. This was a very interesting piece – very modern sounding (in the sense of shifting into the 20th C). It has quite a range of depth and intensity – While the number of flats may not have been an issue, the sheer pace of it plus the syncopations must have really taken a huge amount of focus. Your piano sounds splendid. Excellent performance!

08 Griffin2417 Rhapshody Very enjoyable performance. It is clear you are enjoying your return to the piano. I’m sure your teacher would be proud of you. I really enjoyed the depth of expression you infused into the piece.

09 KeemanNan Romance sans parole Interesting, we have a run of pieces from the 30s here.... this was a very nice piece indeed.

10 Trapper John (FKA John Frank) Girl from Barcelona I’m not familiar with the piece so I don’t recognize what your modifications to are, but I did enjoy it. There is at times a wistful haunting feel to it. It is a lovely piece and you performed it with feeling… and what a dramatic conclusion!.

Time to take a break and play my piano smile (I feel inspired).... and then back for more!

What wonderful pianists we have in our group!!!!

#1677996 - 05/15/11 06:03 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

05. BenPiano - Waltz in A Minor (no. 19) Well done, Ben! You delivered a wonderful performance and it is clear you are connecting with the music. It shows in your use of rubato and dynamics changes.

06. Inlanding - Glen - Angel Eyes and Original With Angel Eyes, you could have brought out more of the melody on the repeats and shored up making your changes in time.

07. Sam S - Toccata Such an interesting and complex piece of music with so much variety among the sections! Each e-cital, you bring out more of your fine playing and this was no exception. This piece has so many twists and turns and bring them out so expertly. You are really connecting with the music. Your best yet, Sam!

08. griffin2417 (Griffin) - Rhapsody That is so wonderful of you to dedicate this e-cital piece to your teacher! The recording is very clean and you made good use of the dynamics available with the grand piano you used. Your playing is very dynamic and expressive. Thank you

09. KeemaNan - Romance sans Paroles I'd not heard of Milhaud before. This piece of music sounds heavily influenced by Debussy. You played the melody beautifully.

10. TrapperJohn (FKA John Frank) - Girl From Barcelona Hey, that was just great. You tell a wonderful story with the melody. Your expressiveness was indicative of how much you were enjoying playing the music. Nicely done, Trapper John!

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1678018 - 05/15/11 08:12 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AlleyKatt Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne - I really enjoyed this foot-tapping piece and would come out to see you play any day! Chitlins though...not so much, lol.

02. Strings&wood - Träumerei - I greatly enjoyed your Shumann piece and really appreciated it after reading your description. I felt you did an excellent job at bringing out the emotional aspect in this piece!

03. Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well (Cover) - Wow! This was absolutely gorgeous. I also love the rolling chord progressions. I find it incredible that you played this by ear. Awesome piece!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alleycat299

#1678019 - 05/15/11 08:18 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
02. Strings&wood - Träumerei Very nice!

03. Mr Super Hunky - I Remember Well (Cover) The music will not play. On the account that I am "missing components"

04. Todd Vance - Waltz Op. 69 #2 Great piece Todd. Great time!

05. BenPiano - Waltz in A Minor (no. 19) Sounds great.

06. Inlanding - Glen - Angel Eyes and Original I love that tune. Good idea to put a pulse on it.

07. Sam S - Toccata never heard that piece before. Quite crazy! Well played!

08. griffin2417 (Griffin) - Rhapsody Beautiful piece. I had not heard it. Welcome back to the piano!

09. KeemaNan - Romance sans Paroles I like the dynamics you put into this. That keyboard sounds great, too.

#1678021 - 05/15/11 08:22 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> #1. Knotty... That is just TOO GOOD!! Blues in C... my favorite. I assume that's your band backing you up? (Chitlins are pig intestines..... but that is neither here nor there...)

thanks. Yes, these are folks I play with regularly.

>> 01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne
>>Jazzy beginning. Good evening listening on this Saturday.
Already sunday here frown. thanks!

>> #1 knotty - Chitlis Con Carne knotty, I'm adding you to the people from whom I'd buy an album. What a great start to the recital
Thanks Cathy! That's a very nice thing to say.

>> 01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne It sounded like the guitarist and you were exchanging some pretty good licks there. It'd been a great deal of time since hearing this tune. Very professional sounding, very relaxed playing - excellent. I'd listen to you guys play any day!
Anytime you're in town!

>>01 Knotty – Chitlins Con Carne - Well that is certainly a snazzy piece with which to kick off the recital. I’m always interested in seeing what others come up with in improvisational mode – you’ve got a very distinct “flavour” going here – I think you put some spice in the con carne! Really nice work.
Thanks!

>>01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne - I really enjoyed this foot-tapping piece and would come out to see you play any day! Chitlins though...not so much, lol.
From Wisconsin? That's quite a compliment wink thanks!

#1678058 - 05/15/11 10:17 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Grotrianer - I loved that Myra Hess arrangement, and your interpretation was perfect. I'm surprised you were able to bring off such a well known piece so impressively.

Knotty - You had my foot tapping. I thought your guitar player was great too.

Cscl - Those Inventions are so hard to do without mistakes they drive me crazy. I've been playing #1 for like 3 1/2 years and play it maybe once in 5 times cleanly. Thanks for for sharing yours.

Dannylux - That was too good. I thought I was listening to a record.

Jotur/Cathy - As the years go by I'm starting to enjoy Irish music more. Maybe I'm ready to try a few pieces. Thanks for shrugging off adversity and posting this. I'm not sure I believe the composer was happier to give up whiskey than his wife though. An Irish guy?. (Uh oh, here come the PC police.)

Hawgdriver - Just wow. That was impressive.

More later...

#1678059 - 05/15/11 10:17 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I have spent a very pleasant Sunday morning listening to all of the recital submissions. I going to start with a few comments on some of the pieces that stood out for me:

01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne
You guys are the real deal. Love the (I assume) stand up bass and the understated but very cool collaboration. What is really terrific is that you don't get in each other's way. They say the Washington area is starved for good jazz - you and your band will be very popular.

I always look forward to your submissions. The quality of the piano playing and the quality of your videos is always first rate.

06. Inlanding - Glen - Angel Eyes and Original
I always enjoy your work and enjoy both watching and listening to you play. I couldn’t find this on your YouTube site but did spend some time watching some of your other outstanding work. What I like about your improvisations is that one never knows where you going next – you vary both mood and tempo and really keep it interesting.

10. TrapperJohn (FKA John Frank) - Girl From Barcelona
A fine submission from the Dean of ABF Self-Learners. I don’t know the musical term but you seem to be “strumming” the chords a little differently in this piece. A very musical presentation.

11. cgyan (Iain) - Theme of Tears
Wow! This sounds down-right professional. I love the contrast of the lush, highly polished and produced music and the stark black and white video. You get such a beautiful sound from your piano. I don’t know what effects you added but it is just perfect for this piece.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1678060 - 05/15/11 10:21 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
01 knotty - pig intestines with meat.
oink would have thought such a pig-out could be so jazzy? I really liked the interplay between the different musicians, especially the bass solo and the drum solos which were nicely woven in. Don't get me wrong, the piano was great too, but I did love how the piano and guitar were understated at times, and just wanted to make the other one look good.

02 String and Wood - Traumerei
Thankyou for reminding me of this piece, and also for telling the story. I do think you managed to capture the emotion of the music.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1678063 - 05/15/11 10:26 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

12. AlleyKatt - Cathy - Causeway Coastline
I have watched your video and listened to this piece several times since last night. You obviously spent some time producing a perfectly complementary video to go with your excellent piano performance. Nice.

13. Edtek (Ed Jensen) - Isn't It Romantic
I love these great old standards. You play this with emotion and it comes through in your thoughtful performance. It ended too soon for me. Very enjoyable listen.

#1678070 - 05/15/11 10:53 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

cscl, casinitaly, knotty, BillM Thank you for the kind words on the medley.

There are more than two pieces in the link, as I thought I put enough space between them, maybe not enough. I have received multiple PMs informing me the mp3 does not download from the link listed on the individual listing. Here is the direct link to the submission in the meantime.

e-cital submission
http://www.box.net/shared/y0c3y3trzl

Thank you!
Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1678073 - 05/15/11 11:04 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
....jumping all around with no rhyme nor reason.

#57- cscl, not bad on the Bach considering ALL those distractions!! Can't those kids see you are working!!! smile but seriously, nice playing.

#56. Interesting, meditative piece. You seem to have an affinity for it and it shows. I like the B&W for the vid but your angle makes me a bit dizzy. :L)

#55- Leon. Leon. Leon...... are you sure you have only been playing 1.5 years?? Damn. You show such command of that piece. I mean seriously... you own it! You got me totally hooked. I'm going out for the music today.

#1678083 - 05/15/11 11:31 AM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> Knotty - You had my foot tapping. I thought your guitar player was great too.
Thanks!

>> 01. knotty - Chitlins Con Carne
You guys are the real deal. Love the (I assume) stand up bass and the understated but very cool collaboration. What is really terrific is that you don't get in each other's way. They say the Washington area is starved for good jazz - you and your band will be very popular.

I agree, not enough Jazz in dc. We're getting quite a few engagements around town. Played a restaurant Friday and a Hotel yesterday evening. Different groups, all fun.
Yes, this was a stand-up bass.

>>01 knotty - pig intestines with meat.
oink would have thought such a pig-out could be so jazzy? I really liked the interplay between the different musicians, especially the bass solo and the drum solos which were nicely woven in. Don't get me wrong, the piano was great too, but I did love how the piano and guitar were understated at times, and just wanted to make the other one look good.

Thanks 10. People seem to like it when I keep it sparse. My main goal is to get the hits with the drummer. That keeps me entertained all night smile

#1678104 - 05/15/11 12:01 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

15. Mohan Karthik - My Immortal
This works beautifully as an instrumental. You play with real confidence. Your piano and the recording sound great. Nice job.

16. CarlosCC - Dolce Droga
It amazes me that you can play with such expression and feeling after playing only 17 months. I can see why your daughter likes this piece.

17. Peyton - A Little Manic
Man, you really give the piano a workout on this one. I would say this is more than a little manic but very, very cool.

#1678120 - 05/15/11 12:24 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

09. KeemaNan - Romance sans Paroles
An elegant and tasteful performance. Your Kawai sounds terrific. I love the clean, full bass. Very well done.

14. MaryBee - Sonata No. 14, "Moonlight", 1st mvt.
I never tire of hearing this piece when it is well played like your recording. I love the way you kept the stately tempo and allowed the magnificence of this timeless melody to shine.

19. Jazzwee - Windows
My kitchen was bee-boppin’ and swingin’ big time while this was playing on the speakers. Love the vintage EP sound. Perfect for this.

20. Ken. - Bemsha Swing
How very cool – back to back bop. I think you have a good feel for this piece. Nice moving bass line. Nice ending.

23. ladypayne - Anne of Green Gables theme
This is a very ambitious piece and you pulled if off nicely. Lots of big chords and jumps and you kept up the tempo. Nice work.

#1678125 - 05/15/11 12:40 PM Re: Recital #22 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Thanks hawgdriver, FarmGirl and bluekeys. I forgot to say that my Yamaha only has one output, so I couldn't plug in head phones to listen, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to play on my computer while I was recording - so I recorded it without being able to hear it laugh

It's a good think I have a sense of humor -

Cathy

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
Who's Online
87 registered (anotherscott, alfredo capurso, 36251, BB Player, ARamadan, 27 invisible), 1112 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327471 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission