Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
86 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, Almaviva, 25 invisible), 1395 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1682235 - 05/21/11 05:54 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Loc: Mass
Bill: I mispelled (course) I am very tired we moved four large grands today.

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1682274 - 05/21/11 07:32 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I would think that if the panel shrinks 1/4" and then creates a crown after rib installation, then it is functioning similar to a new board.
Do you recap the bridges? I think it would be difficult to set bearing without some form of adjustment for each section of the piano.

#1682605 - 05/22/11 02:20 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Bill: Of all the ones we have done, only one, has been troublesome. I over did it, and ended up with way too much crown. I should have unglued the ribs again, and corrected this, but that meant repressing, I did not think it would be a problem, but it was serious. I had to set the acoustic dowels as high as possible. And put thick shimming material under the plate nuts,and even under the duplex bars, even with that,it was pretty scary. And I ended up recapping the bass bridge. Yes it was a lesson learned. If the manufacturer did their job correct,the bridges return to their original height,I kid-you-not, honest.This was on an A-3 1902.You know if some is good,then more is better, well not on crown height, that is for sure.How this happened? We are on third floor of an old mill building, when the heat comes on, the humidity drops to below 25%,and with heating the SB, and ribs to 100 degrees+,dropping the moisture content down to about 4%,and it would have been normal,except on this one, I made my press cauld's too deep, pushing them into the "dish" more than the others before this one.Thus ending up with over-crown. The temperature was correct, the moisture content was right, but too much curve.I don't know if any body else does it this way,well anyway, I threw this set of caulding away,about a three dollar loss in material.We use three quarter inch M.D.F. to make these.You see, I don't think this is conventional either?There is no concave "dish", I put more crown from fourth octave up than in the bass. I am familiar with the standard giant, thick, go bar decks.Our pressing equipment is made of steel.And between pressings it just stands in the corner.No go bars. One cauld for each rib,cut on a band saw.After I am done with them, I bundle them up, tape them together, and write on them the piano model, and serial number,and use them again and again. The caulding I made for the cir,1900 M&H we did 2 years ago, was pulled off the shelf,and reused for this 1913 M&H I pressed this past winter.The bridge and the curvature was exactly the same, only not as wide in the bass,It saved me some time in making new ones.Once the caulding is made,say for a B Steinway it can be used over and over.M.D.F.is fantastic in that is cheap and has no grain to deflect the band-saw.It takes about 5 or 6 hours to make these and that is it.

#1682607 - 05/22/11 02:21 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Bill: Of all the ones we have done, only one, has been troublesome. I over did it, and ended up with way too much crown. I should have unglued the ribs again, and corrected this, but that meant repressing, I did not think it would be a problem, but it was serious. I had to set the acoustic dowels as high as possible. And put thick shimming material under the plate nuts,and even under the duplex bars, even with that,it was pretty scary. And I ended up recapping the bass bridge. Yes it was a lesson learned. If the manufacturer did their job correct,the bridges return to their original height,I kid-you-not, honest.This was on an A-3 1902.You know if some is good,then more is better, well not on crown height, that is for sure.How this happened? We are on third floor of an old mill building, when the heat comes on, the humidity drops to below 25%,and with heating the SB, and ribs to 100 degrees+,dropping the moisture content down to about 4%,and it would have been normal,except on this one, I made my press cauld's too deep, pushing them into the "dish" more than the others before this one.Thus ending up with over-crown. The temperature was correct, the moisture content was right, but too much curve.I don't know if any body else does it this way,well anyway, I threw this set of caulding away,about a three dollar loss in material.We use three quarter inch M.D.F. to make these.You see, I don't think this is conventional either?There is no concave "dish", I put more crown from fourth octave up than in the bass. I am familiar with the standard giant, thick, go bar decks.Our pressing equipment is made of steel.And between pressings it just stands in the corner.No go bars. One cauld for each rib,cut on a band saw.After I am done with them, I bundle them up, tape them together, and write on them the piano model, and serial number,and use them again and again. The caulding I made for the cir,1900 M&H we did 2 years ago, was pulled off the shelf,and reused for this 1913 M&H I pressed this past winter.The bridge and the curvature was exactly the same, only not as wide in the bass,It saved me some time in making new ones.Once the caulding is made,say for a B Steinway it can be used over and over.M.D.F.is fantastic in that is cheap and has no grain to deflect the band-saw.It takes about 5 or 6 hours to make these and that is it.

#1682651 - 05/22/11 04:25 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Mr. Mckaig.I never touched a computer until last Tuesday,I haven't typed anything since high school, 1971, but I'm learning, and I find it most interesting. I checked out your shop pictures. The question That intrigues me the most is, Why do you make ribs round on top "pre-crowned". And do you do this to Steinways? Is the perimeter glued down at 90 degrees where it meets the rim.? The 1913 M&H I'm doing has a convex board, right to the very edge, all around the perimeter. The node at the bridge is adjusted to compensate for this type of construction.If the manufacturer had used a compression type crown, with the edges glued flat. Thus one of the reasons for rib pairing,do you make the SB to rim jointing angled to the same curve as the roundness of the board.The sweet spot is in a slightly different place,as Chris Robinson demonstrated one time long ago.This is why there is a pulsator bar. And I dont know how to spell pulsator.

#1683096 - 05/23/11 01:27 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

I've settled on a hybrid system to build my sound boards. This system uses a combination of arched ribs and compression to form a crown allowing me to dry the board down to 5.9 % instead of 4%. This gives an extra margin safety so that the spruce is less likely to be forced past its elastic limit (crushing force). I feel this gives the board a longer functional life. This hybrid system is not new. It has been used since at least 1900, probably earlier.

I've never found a need to modify the rim ledge. I don't think it helps or hinders the crown of a board. As I said earlier, a crowned board is a self-supported system, it needs a solid rim for a foundation for it to function properly, but the rim does not maintain the crown of the board (as in a buttressed arch).

#1683226 - 05/23/11 04:47 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Bill, Yes, I have a SB from an old Chickering upright from early 1900,that we junked, this had milled crown ribs. Also a Knabe 7'4" grand 1892, the ribs were two piece,joined horizontally, with the top half milled for the crown,That was very interisting.I kept one of them for show and conversation. And I saw a Chickering 6'8" from early 1900 that had only seven ribs, that was constructed this way also. But Steinway's always seems to be what is considered the standard example worldwide, why didn't they do this?

#1683240 - 05/23/11 05:10 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Forum followers,
We have tried to post some pictures from our last job. Computers seem to take delight in torturing me, and I can't seem to figure out how to post a link. I think...if the URL below is copied and pasted into a browser it might work. Please let me know if it won't.

https://profiles.google.com/105412259108667869462#105412259108667869462/photos

Edited by blaisboards (05/23/11 05:18 PM)

#1684226 - 05/25/11 09:46 AM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Thank you gentleman, for the response to my original question. Yes I've known for a long time that there are some who remove SB's from antique pianos,and reinstall them.The technique is different in that they don't use steam,just water.This would not be practical on most pianos after 1860 or so with wide glue joinery and 3/8 inch SB's.It would take a long time to loosen these glue joints. The ones I do know about are museum property,some are privately owned.And I will be happy to answer any additional questions anyone might have.

#1684435 - 05/25/11 03:29 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

Richard,
The work your doing to these pianos looks very nice and clean and I do believe your restoring them back to a functioning piano. But the only advantage that I see of this procedure would be for historical or antique pianos. It really is less work to build a new board. That being said, everyone has their own philosophy about piano rebuilding and if your criteria is to retain as much of the original piano as possible, I think there's a market for that.

#1685129 - 05/26/11 05:33 PM Re: original soundboard recrowning [Re: blaisboards]
blaisboards Offline

Hi Bill. I guess you will have to hear one,Idon't know how. But, as for time factor. If I had better equipment, it might be as fast.There are no pieces left glued to the rim to chisel out,and no ribs to make,and the moldings are already to glue back in. But faster,faster, is not so important, new wood will probably always be easier.It is the end result,that makes it worth it. They have amazing sonority, like they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
12/20/14 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349997 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission